- Item #: i_219740Bottle Size: 750mlPlease Note: This is the Napa Valley bottling; NOT the Oakville!!
This wine combines select vineyards in Rutherford, Calistoga, and St. Helena that complement Far Niente's home in Oakville, and embody their long-established house style. Cabernet has been a hallmark of Far Niente's winemaking program beginning with its very first vintage in 1982. The marriage of these diverse vineyard sites has allowed them to craft their finest expression of Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. This wine exemplifies their nearly four decades of mastery in growing and making Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
An elegant perfume of mixed berries, baking spice, dried lavender, and thyme open onto a full palate layered with expansive mixed berry, black tea, toasted oak and spice flavors. Focused and fresh, fine grained tannins support the wine throughout, while the finish is silky, long, and lifted.
- Item #: i_240230Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "Looking at the two 2018s, the 2018 Amoenus comes from the Blossom Creek Vineyard outside of Calistoga and was brought up in new French oak. Both 2018s are concentrated, powerful wines. The Amoenus possesses a beautiful sense of freshness and purity, yet backs that up with a huge, opulent profile that carries incredible black and blue fruits. Showing more chocolate, tobacco, graphite, and foresty, earthy notes with air, this full-bodied beauty has ample ripe, polished tannins, no hard edges, and a great finish. It certainly shows the more brooding, backward, powerful style of the vintage and is built for the long haul. Hide bottle for 5-7 years, count yourself lucky, and enjoy over the following 40 years or so."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2018 Amoenus Cabernet Sauvignon is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. Deep garnet-purple colored, it comes galloping out of the glass with energetic creme de cassis and blueberry pie scents, with hints of Indian spices, eucalyptus and chocolate box plus a waft of iron ore. Full-bodied, concentrated and wonderfully decadent, it has a firm, grainy texture and lively line of freshness, finishing long and minerally."
- Item #: i_248390Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 96JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "Moving to the two reds, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate is brilliant all the way, offering a smorgasbord-like bouquet of blueberries, raspberries, spring flowers, cured meats, tobacco, and assorted other spicy, floral nuances. I always find a subtle red fruit and mineral character in top Stags Leap Cabernet, and this beauty has it in spades. Full-bodied on the palate, this pure, plush, sexy Napa Valley Cabernet has sweet tannins, no hard edges, and a great finish. Seemingly all about sweet fruit and texture, it's nevertheless going to evolve for 20-25 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate bursts from the glass, offering vibrant notes of blackberry pie, plum preserves and black and red currant jelly with nuances of bay leaves, tar and licorice plus a waft of cinnamon stick. The full-bodied palate is jam-packed with juicy black fruits, supported by approachable, grainy tannins and tons of freshness, finishing long with an herbal lift."
- Item #: i_249260Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 96ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "These new releases are Penfolds' foray into Napa Valley, a project I had been hearing about for some time. I recently sat down with Chief Winemaker Peter Gago to taste the new 2018s, virtually of course. These four wines are part of a larger plan that includes the addition of single vineyard bottlings in the future. Penfolds is no stranger to the United States. For a period of time starting in the late 1980s Penfolds was a part-owner of Geyser Peak. In 1997, Penfolds acquired land outside Paso Robles and subsequently planted vineyards in 1998 and 1999."
"The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Bin 149 is a blend of fruit from Rutherford, Calistoga and Oakville plus 15% South Australia Cabernet. Inky, deep and unctuous, the 2018 is a total knock-out. Although quite opulent and rich in feel, the 2018 also has tons of backing structure to balance things out. All the elements come together effortlessly. It was aged in 100% new oak, 80% French and 20% America"
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "A good portion, 85.1%, of this 'Wine of the World' comes from America. In fact, the American component all comes from Napa. 'There are some great vineyards going in here,' Peter Gago informed me. 'We are buying some fruit for this, but most of it comes off our own vineyards.' By 'own vineyards,' Gago refers to the considerable land holdings of Treasury Wine Estates, which now owns such iconic Napa names such as Beringer, Sterling Vineyards and Stags' Leap Winery. The major component of this component, 28%, comes from Rutherford, with the other components 'cherry picked' from across the Napa region. So, that is the American wine part of this wine.
"The remaining 14.9% of this wine is from Australia—A1 grade Aussie Cabernet Sauvignon from South Australia, to be precise.
"Then the wine was fermented in barrel, like Grange, using 80% American oak and 20% French oak, 100% new. It was matured in the oak for 16 months.
"Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Bin 149 slips gracefully out of the glass with notions of wild blueberries, blackcurrant cordial and mulberries with an undercurrent of Indian spices, sandalwood, cigar box and dusty soil plus a touch of garrigue. Full-bodied, rich and decadently played in the mouth, it has firm, rounded tannins and bold freshness supporting the voluptuous layers, finishing long and spicy. The adaption of some of the Grange 'formula' (for want of a better term) of winemaking seems to lend more of an Australian style to this wine, although there is no mistaking the Napa Cabernet fruit profile in all but the texture of the tannins, which are more typical of Australia. It's a true chimera! 1,393 cases were made."
- Item #: i_275830Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+Vinous Media: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate is a powerful, dense wine. Inky black cherry, new leather, spice, menthol and licorice add to an impression of brooding intensity. I would cellar the 2018 for at least a few years, as the tannins are pretty impenetrable at this stage."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "Composed of 88% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Malbec and 5% Petit Verdot, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate displays a deep garnet-purple color and fragrant notes of Black Forest cake, creme de cassis and wild blueberries with nuances of red roses, Chinese five spice, camphor and black olive plus a hint of charcoal. Full-bodied, the decadently rich fruit has impressive freshness lifting the palate along with firm, finely grained tannins, finishing long and fragrant."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Moving to the two Cabernet releases, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate is based on 88% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Malbec and the rest Petit Verdot, all from Oakville fruit. Promising yet restrained notes of ripe currants, tobacco leaf, sharpened #2 pencils, and chocolate give way to a full-bodied Cabernet that has sweet tannins, a layered, elegant texture, plenty of mid-palate depth, and a great finish. This rich, concentrated 2018 can be drunk today with ample pleasure or cellared for 15-20 years or more."
- Item #: i_270440Bottle Size: 750mlGenoa native Dino Dina christened his Howell Mountain vineyard Cimarossa (pronounced Chim-a-rossa), Italian for "red hilltop." A very special site indeed, where grapes and olive trees grow side by side in soil composed primarily of red volcanic rock and dust. Not much can be cultivated on these steep slopes, rising from 1,800 to 2,300 feet in elevation. The grape clusters are small, the berries are tiny, and the flavors are deep. The wines from this site are true Howell Mountain Cabernet. They are not to drink immediately; rather demand and deserve full attention. These wines of structure, immense depth, and richness will come into their own with age.
Aged for twenty months in 100% Darnajou French oak barrels, The 2018 Cimarossa Cabernet shows the tremendous dark fruit of the vintage. As always this is the most "reserved" Cabernet of the line up and just screams for time in the cellar or decanter to allow it to show its best. The tannins in the 2018 Cimarossa are more sweet than in previous vintages (think more like 2016). Black fruit, creosote and lots of deep, dark structure mark this gorgeous 2018 Howell Mountain Cabernet.
- Item #: i_270320Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98+ POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple in color, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Black Label is just a little reticent at this youthful stage. With a little swirling and coaxing, it begins to reveal a staggeringly beautiful nose of warm cassis, boysenberries, black raspberries and dark chocolate, with hints of freshly cut red roses, cinnamon stick, cedar chest and pencil lead plus a waft of fragrant earth. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is super intense, featuring tightly wound layers of black fruits, minerals and baking spices, supported by a rock-solid frame of pixelated tannins and electric freshness, finishing long and fantastically fragrant. What a stunner!"