- Item #: i_201520Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 98Arrow and Branch proprietors (and Laguna Beach locals) Steve and Seanne Contursi share a great love for the wines of Bordeaux, particularly those produced with a large quantity of Cabernet Franc, such as Château Cheval Blanc. The couple sought out their Coombsville vineyard property with an eye to producing top-quality Cabernet Franc-based wines from Napa Valley. They bought the Arrow & Branch Vineyard in November 2007, as this vineyard was the source of Tony Soter's renowned and highly rated Little Creek Cabernet Franc. The Contursi's have maintained the organic farming and, through their work with the detail-oriented Viticulturalist Mike Wolf, are continually improving this wonderful vineyard site.
JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "The 2016 Red Wine flirts with perfection and should be snatched up by savvy readers. Tasting like a great vintage of Cheval Blanc with its incredible perfume of crème de cassis, spring flowers, and forest floor, it has beautiful complexity, medium to full body, thrilling purity and elegance, and a great, great finish. This beauty is all about complexity and nuance, yet it has loads of intensity and depth, silky tannins, and the class to keep for two decades. The blend is 50% Cabernet Franc, 24% Merlot, 24% Cabernet Sauvignon, and the balance Petit Verdot, all aged 22 months in barrel. Hats off to winemaker Jennifer Williams for this brilliant wine!"
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "Jen Williams seems to have really found her stride at Arrow and Branch. The 2016s represent another major step forward. The wines are bold, racy and irresistibly delicious."
"Arrow and Branch's 2016 Red Wine is built on a core of Cabernet Franc from two sites in Coombsville. Aromatically expressive and ample, the Red Wine is superb. Red cherry, plum, espresso, grilled herbs and flowers build as this beautifully layered wine shows off its personality. The 2016 is powerful and concentrated, yet also retains quite a bit of aromatic lift that gives the wine poise and a sense of balance. It is a stunning wine in every way."
- Item #: i_200420Bottle Size: 750mlThis is only the third release of Le Boucher; a tribute to David Long's father, Donald Long. A blend of 67% Cabernet Franc, 16% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, and 8% Petit Verdot aged in French oak, of which 84% was new. A deep ruby red color offers aromas of baked cherry, plum and pomegranate; followed by subtle earth tones of cherry wood, toasted oak and bay laurel as well as violet like floral notes. The palate is expansive yet finessed with fine grain tannins and mild acidity while long and persistent. Flavors of boysenberry, cherry and toffee carry a long finish. A deft and precise wine with evolving layers to be best from 2019 to 2029. Only 143 cases were produced!
- Item #: i_232200Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "This was an incredible tasting with winemaker Matt Dees. This estate continues to produce some of the most impressive, long-lived wines in Santa Barbara."
"The inky colored 2009 El Alma de Jonata, which was made from 70% Cabernet Franc, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot and 1% Petit Verdot, is no less impressive, exhibiting rich, full notes of cigar, chocolate, tobacco leaf and crushed rock notes to go with a massively built, structured profile on the palate. Very full-bodied and one big wine, it can be enjoyed now or cellared for a decade. Drink now-2023."
- Item #: i_232250Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2017 El Alma de Jonata, the estate's Cabernet Franc-based wine, is bright, aromatically explosive and just striking in its beauty. Bright red fruit, blood orange, menthol and plum race out of the glass in a wine endowed with tremendous energy, tension and pure class. Medium in body, with tremendous aromatic intensity and drive, the Alma is positively striking. The 2017 is one of the very finest editions I can remember tasting. In a word: dazzling."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 300 case 2017 El Alma De Jonata is the Cabernet Franc-dominated cuvee, a blend of 86% Cabernet Franc, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon. Bright cherry, blackberry, ground herbs, lead pencil, and crushed violet notes all emerge from the glass, and this beauty is incredibly seamless, pure, and polished on the palate. With ultra-fine tannins, a great mid-palate, and plenty of structure, it's a more fresh, focused, classic example of this cuvee. Hide bottles for 4-5 years and enjoy over the following two decades."
- Item #: i_249160Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsWe've followed Tony Biagi and his winemaking talents for several years, from his times at Duckhorn and Paraduxx, to his more recent stays at Plumpjack, Cade, Hourglass and Sinegal. However, we are now proud to have his own Patria wines here at the store! Between the pedigree behind the wine and the quality of what is in the bottle, this label is poised to be on the radar of collectors and savvy connoisseurs alike. While we also carry the Patria Cabernet Sauvignon, Tony's "Avoyelles" bottling is a take on Cabernet Franc, a grape used in some of the best red wines in the world, such as Cheval Blanc from Bordeaux, or Dalla Valle's Maya from Napa.
JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "A magical wine in every sense, the 2018 Avoyelles Oakville Ranch checks in as 48% Cabernet Franc, 46% Cabernet Sauvignon, and the rest Petit Verdot. More expressive than the A. Price Vineyard (which should be expected, given the difference in the blends), is has a beautiful perfume of creme de cassis, red currants, toasted spice, graphite, and dried flowers, with a touch of tobacco and earth developing with time in the glass. Hitting the palate with full-bodied richness, it has a layered, multi-dimensional texture, incredible tannins, and a great, great finish. In the same league as the 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2017, it's a brilliant wine to enjoy over the coming 15-20 years or more."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2018 Avoyelles is a blend of roughly equal parts Cabernet Sauvignon (49%) and Cabernet Franc (46%) co-fermented, with a dollop of Petit Verdot (6%) added at the end, all from Oakville Ranch. The interplay of energy and richness is compelling. Black cherry, plum, spice, leather, licorice and mint infuse the 2018 with lovely depth as well as texture. Best of all, the 2018 will drink well upon release. This plush, voluptuous red has so much going on."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2018 Oakville Ranch Avoyelles is composed of 51% Cabernet Sauvignon, 42% Cabernet Franc and 7% Petit Verdot. Deep garnet-purple in color, it sashays out of the glass with notions of baked plums, Morello cherries, redcurrants and dried herbs plus hints of pencil lead and tobacco leaf. Full-bodied, the palate possesses tightly wound layers of bright, expressive red and black fruits, offering a firm, grainy texture and bags of freshness, finishing long and savory. 155 cases were made."