- Item #: i_208505Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 93ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley) is absolutely delicious. Ripe, radiant and seductive, the 2015 is going to be nearly impossible to resist young. Even so, there is plenty of structural underpinning beneath all of the fruit. Sweet floral notes develop in the glass, adding lift, but above all else, the 2015 is a wine of textural voluptuousness, all in a silky, mid-weight style that is hugely appealing."
- Item #: i_203260Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Vinous Media: 92ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2015 Reserve Tapestry is soft, pliant and supple, all qualities that make it an excellent choice for drinking now and over the next handful of years. Sweet red cherry, plum, rose petal, mint and dried flowers are all laced together in this racy, super-expressive blend from BV. The Cabernet Sauvignon-based Tapestry is one of the hidden gems in the range."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2015 Reserve Tapestry Proprietary Red Wine is blended of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot, 7% Malbec, 4% Cabernet Franc and 3% Petit Verdot aged in a mix of French, American and Hungarian oak (60% new) for 22 months. It has a deep garnet-purple color and quite a toasty nose to begin, giving way to a beautiful perfume of roses and lilacs with a core of cassis, redcurrant jelly and blackberry tart plus a touch of cedar chest. Full, velvety and seductive, it delivers layers of perfumed red and black fruit with a very long finish. 16,637 cases produced."
- Item #: i_212290Bottle Size: 750mlCoho is the shared aspiration of Brooks Painter and Gary Lipp to produce flavorful, balanced wines. Grown in select cool-climate vineyards, Coho wines emphasize fruit purity and vitality. Brooks and Gary combined experience working for California wineries totals almost sixty years, both involved in all aspects of their craft, acquiring the skills to bottle passion. Coho's name might seem curious as it doesn't invoke images of vineyards or wine, but the salmon embodies an innate wisdom so essential to understanding ourselves and our environment.
"Headwaters" is a Bordeaux blend of three varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Petite Verdot. Most of the source vineyards for this wine are in the Coombsville area of the Napa Valley; this makes for a rich yet balanced red blend with dense ruby/purple color. Expressive plum, currant, and licorice flavors are well integrated into the supple and elegant mouthfeel. Notes of white pepper and red-blue fruits linger on the finish. The wine is balanced with excellent structure that indicates a decade of enjoyment.
- Item #: i_214460Bottle Size: 750mlFermented in a combination of oak upright tanks, small barrel, concrete tanks, and open-top stainless steel fermenters, the 2015 Vaso is aromatically complex and captures the different terroirs and varieties of this Cabernet blend with fragrances of red currant, plums, sage, and loam with hints of tobacco box and spices. The entry has flavors of Bing cherries and dried herbs as the hillside tannins fills out the mid palate. The wine supple yet structured palate. Ripe strawberry, forest floor, and a light minerality linger on the finish. Lush and approachable now, this wine will continue to develop as the years pass.
- Item #: i_229030Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Galerie is a collection of wines devoted to showcasing two of California's foremost wine growing regions - Napa Valley and Knights Valley. Winemaker Laura Diaz Munoz brings these growing regions to life by vinifying the wines in exactly the same way, allowing the natural difference in the fruit characteristics to express themselves in the glass.
For the Napa Valley, bottling, Laura blended fruit from some of the most prestigious vineyards in the valley; Stagecoach vineyard, Red Hen, Van Z, Diamond Mountain, and Spring Mountain. The wine was aged for 20 months in 60% new French oak.
ROBERT PARKER 92 POINTS - "Very deep garnet-purple in color, the 2015 Pleinair Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon delivers pronounced baked berries, prunes and warm black currant cordial notes with touches of baking spices, olives and dried herbs. Medium to full-bodied, it has concentrated baked black berry and savory layers with soft, velvety tannins and balanced freshness, finishing on a spicy note. 1,540 cases produced."
- Item #: i_229100Bottle Size: 750mlAll of the grapes in Gallo's Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon come from their acclaimed William Hill Estate vineyard in Southern Napa. Set above the valley floor at varying elevations, this vineyard sees diverse microclimates and basks in abundant sunlight, thanks to its southwestern exposure. Volcanic soils that are rocky, thin and nutrient-deprived stress the vines to produce smaller berries with vivid flavor and color concentration. Significant variation between day and night temperatures at this vineyard yield red Bordeaux varietals - Cabernet Sauvignon in particular - with intense fruit character and refined acidity.
A wine of incredible density and complexity, this Cabernet Sauvignon opens with intense aromas of ripe dark fruit and hints of spice. On the rich, full-bodied palate, fruit flavors of blackberry, blueberry, plum and black cherry are framed by notes of chocolate, anise and clove. With structured tannins and silky texture, the long, supple finish is marked by hints of toasted oak.
- Item #: i_226715Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94Founded in 2005 by third-generation Napa farmer Tom Gamble, Gamble Family Vineyards farms approximately 175 acres of prime estate vineyards from several of Napa Valley's most respected AVAs – Oakville, Yountville, Mt. Veeder, and Rutherford. Set in an isolated nook off of Highway 29 in the heart of Napa Valley's Oakville District, the winery, open to guests by invitation, has a quiet and pastoral presence. Tom Gamble's mission is to carry on the heritage of quality farming that his ancestors sowed when they came to Napa as farmers and ranchers in 1916. A family farming for over 100 years does so only through constant reinvestment in the environment and the people that support it. Knowledge and abilities evolve over time. Constant improvement means always trying new things and keeping what works. His winery and vineyards are certified Napa Green and certified by Fish Friendly Farming.
There are several Napa Cabs at the $50 price point, but very few of those stand out as being superior from the others. However, Gamble Family's 2015 Cabernet is one of those wines that really sets itself apart from the rest of the crowd! With body, flavor intensity, balance, and a lengthy finish, this is a wine that not only drinks well by itself, but it's perfectly at home with a nice cut of beef, Portobello mushrooms, or lamb. This year the wine combines all five of the traditional varieties, and is a blend of 83% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Malbec , 5% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Franc, and 1% Petit Verdot.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon is another terrific wine from Tom Gamble. Ripe, exuberant and flamboyant in style, the 2015 offers plenty of the vintage's raciness and yet manages to do so without being overbearing. Crème de cassis, plum, licorice, chocolate, spice and menthol build effortlessly in the glass. There is plenty to admire in this intense, powerful Cabernet Sauvignon."
- Item #: i_227340Bottle Size: 750MLThe 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon is big and lush with huge gobs of fruit in the aroma and flavor. The texture of the wine is soft and supple, typical of Cabernet Sauvignons grown in our area of the Oakville AVA. The sweet vanilla character derived from 22 months in the barrels blends well with the black cherry and blackberry flavors and aromas of the wine.
- Item #: i_232800Bottle Size: 750mlWinery's Tasting Notes: "Pure elegance in a glass. Aromas of black cherries, pomegranate, dried cranberries and a hint of graphite channel classic Bordeaux. Its lovely, silky texture coats the palate with layers of black cherries and a touch of cedar from French oak’s fine tannins. From beginning to end, the balance carries all the way through. Enjoy now after decanting for 60 minutes or cellar through 2029-2034."
- Item #: i_235140Bottle Size: 750mlIn the heart of Napa Valley's Calistoga region lies a property that amazes both the sightseer, and the winemaker. Tom Kenefick's vineyard has been the source for many high-scoring wines from Lewis, Behren's and Hitchcock, and Cade.
Aged for 18 months in 65% new French oak, this wine has bright briary fruit nuance, dried cherry notes, and Baker's Chocolate greet the nose. Softly rounded tannins, underlined by cassis, and hints of creme brulee. Good to drink now but is a contender for cellaring 10 to 15 years.
- Item #: i_270600Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc, 6% Malbec, 5% Rousanne, 3% Chardonnay, and 1% Petit Verdot, this wine opens with a melange of ripe black cherry, vanilla and violets, The Wheelman is plush and textured, dominated by boysenberry, dark cherry, milk chocolate, and cardamom. Well-balanced and rounded tannins lead to an elegant, bright, medium finish. Pair with grilled skirt steak in rosemary herbed butter or rosemary lamb chops with creamy polenta. Drink through 2032. Only 423 cases produced!
- Item #: i_236535Bottle Size: 375mlWine Advocate: 95+**Please note, this is a half sized bottleROBERT PARKER 95+ POINTS - "Blended of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8.5% Cabernet Franc, 7.5% Merlot, 6% Malbec and 3% Petit Verdot, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain has a deep garnet-purple color and nose of warm cassis, black berry pie and mulberries with touches of cedar, red roses and cloves plus a touch of cigar boxes. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has a great core of black and blue fruit layers framed by firm, ripe tannins and seamless freshness, finishing long. 2,362 cases produced."
- Item #: i_277460Bottle Size: 750mlLiteral is a blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon and 50% Syrah. The Cabernet hails from the Valle de Guadalupe and the Syrah is grown in Uruapan, a valley in the southern end of Ensenada. This wine presents an intense and radiant red color. Aromatic notes of red and dark berries are present, predominantly raspberry, a hint of spices, cacao and vanilla, a byproduct of the oak barrels aging. With each sip we are presented with soft tannins, good structure and acidity.
- Item #: i_238840Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92Like every top Chateau in Bourdeaux, the great Spottswoode Estate also has a second label: Lyndenhurst. The allure is that you get to taste a blueprint of the flagship bottling earlier, and in a very approachable fashion. The Lyndenhurst Cabernet Sauvignon enjoys the same pedigree as Spottswoode (which has earned a perfect 100 points score for their last two vintages) and shares characteristics easily recognizable to those already familiar with the essence of the Spottswoode estate. All organically farmed and aged in French oak barrels for 20 months, this wine truly shows the power and exceedingly high quality of the 2016 vintage!
On the approach, the 2016 Lyndenhurst sings a polished and youthful tone and soon reveals generosity and sophistication. The progression is long and opulent, punctuated by notes of cedar, winter mint, bergamot, briar, sandalwood, and chestnuts. There are layers of fruit-blueberry and soft, dark cherry open to aromas of blackberry, intermingled with warming notes of vanilla bean and cocoa powder. The wine is held together with a bright, linear acidity complemented by dark, silken tannins that together leave a lingering finish.
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "Another gorgeous wine in this range, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Lyndenhurst is wonderfully fresh, vibrant and nuanced. Black cherry, plum, spice, lavender, new leather and menthol overtones develop in the glass, but like so many 2016s, the Lyndenhurst simply dazzles with its exquisite balance and total class."
- Item #: i_238800Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Like every top Château in Bordeaux, the great Spottswoode Estate also has a second label: Lyndenhurst. The allure is that you get to taste a blueprint of the flagship bottling earlier, and in a very approachable fashion. The Lyndenhurst Cabernet Sauvignon enjoys the same pedigree as Spottswoode (which has earned a perfect 100 points score for their last two vintages) and shares characteristics easily recognizable to those already familiar with the essence of the Spottswoode estate. All organically farmed and aged in French oak barrels for 20 months, this wine truly shows the power and exceedingly high quality of the 2015 vintage! On the approach, the 2015 Lyndenhurst sings a polished and youthful tone and soon reveals generosity and sophistication. The progression is long and opulent, punctuated by notes of cedar, winter mint, bergamot, briar, sandalwood, and chestnuts. There are layers of fruit—blueberry and soft, dark cherry opening to aromas of blackberry, intermingled with warming notes of vanilla bean and cocoa powder. The wine is held together with a bright, linear acidity complemented by dark, silken tannins that together leave a lingering finish.
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Lyndenhurst is pliant, supple and inviting. Dark cherry jam, plum, chocolate, spice and new leather are pushed forward in this racy, succulent Cabernet Sauvignon. A wine with no hard edges and plenty of allure, the 2015 will drink well with minimal cellaring. In the Lyndenhurst, readers will find an affordable Cabernet that showcases the best 2015 has to offer, in its peer group, naturally."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "This is Spottswoode's second wine. Around 50% to 55% of the fruit comes from the estate. The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Lyndenhurst is mainly Cabernet Sauvignon (80%) with 12% Merlot and splashes of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, it delivers bold, enticing black cherries, mulberries and warm plums scents with touches of cassis, fragrant earth, unsmoked cigars and menthol plus a waft of bay leaves. Medium-bodied, the earth-laced black fruit dances on the palate, supported by plush tannins and finishing on an allspice-laced note."
- Item #: i_240000Bottle Size: 750mlIn 1972, Bruce Markham arrived in Napa Valley with the dream of starting a winery. Intent on crafting world-class wines for years to come, he purchased the "little jewels" that are still the Markham vineyards today. He was a pioneer in what is now the very heart of Napa, buying premium vineyard land before many understood the tremendous potential the valley offered for producing fine wines. He also purchased a winery. Originally established by Jean Laurent, the Markham winery dates back to 1879. As one of the founders of Napa winemaking and viticulture, Markham Vineyards takes great pride in its legacy of exceptional mountains and magnificent vineyards, Markham's winery has the distinction of being the fourth oldest continuously operated winery in Napa County.
- Item #: i_241710Bottle Size: 750mlFor some reason, it seems that many of the Napa Valley wineries are pricing their wines around the $50 price point. For that reason, this has become a very competitive field, and we pick apart every wine offered to us. But, when we tried Merryvale's 2015 Cabernet, there was nothing bad to say...only praise!
- Item #: i_245460Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 94The heritage of Mount Eden Cabernet Sauvignon dates back to the 1890s, when the famed viticulturist Emmett Rixford of Woodside, California obtained selected cuttings from Chateau Margaux in Bordeaux, France. Rixford planted his famous La Questa Vineyard with these selections, in the same proportions as found at Margaux.
In the late 1940s Martin Ray planted his first Cabernet vineyard with cuttings from the La Questa Vineyard. Mount Eden's present-day Estate Cabernet Sauvignon vines were planted in the early 1980s using cuttings taken from these vines. Yields are low, typically one to two tons per acre. Soils are very thin (1-12 inches), with a dominant base of Franciscan shale. The climate is cool, especially for Cabernet, and influenced by the vineyard's altitude and its proximity to San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean. The vines are trellised in a modern fashion, which allows for a more uniform ripening. The vineyard also contains small blocks of Merlot and Cabernet Franc.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Mount Eden's Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the hidden gems, not just in the Santa Cruz Mountains, but in wine more broadly. The 2015 is bold, deep and pungent, with striking fruit density and tons of aromatic nuance. Jeffrey Patterson told me he had never seen such a tiny crop. Some vines produced no fruit at all. As a result, the 2015 was aged entirely in new oak, all of which it handles very well. The balance of savory Cabernet aromatics, fruit and structure is already terrific, and will only improve with more time in bottle."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "In all my years, I've never seen a Cabernet vintage like 2015, in terms of yield," Jeffrey Patterson tells me. "We had very low yields. The vines didn't have clusters. It was the tail end of the drought, and the year before was so dry. Normally, small yields are caused by shatter at bloom. But in 2015, it was just an absence of clusters." The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate is a blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc and 1% Petit Verdot and was aged almost entirely in new barrels. It has a medium to deep ruby color and is more powerful and intense on the nose than the 2015 version, with aromas of blackcurrant bud, cassis, bay leaf, pencil shavings, dark chocolate and cedar with savory/meaty hints, plus tons of red fruit sparks and licorice hints. It's medium to full-bodied with intense, ripe fruits laced with savory and herbal accents. It has a frame of juicy acidity and grainy, ripe tannins, finishing very long and energetic. 728 cases produced.
- Item #: i_253050Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 92About 20 years ago, David Ramey was part of a select group of winemakers who became tired of "laboratory" or "squeaky clean" wines devoid of character. He wanted to bring terroir back into wines from California, and his success was the benefit of the consumer! David Ramey became known throughout the wine world as a winemaker associated with stellar quality, and he brought his expertise to brands such as Chalk Hill, Matanzas Creek, Dominus Estate, Rudd Estate, as well as his own brand. While the Ramey Chardonnays have been on the "center stage" for a few years, this release shows that his Cabernets can hang with some of the best in the Napa Valley...and at a MUCH lower price than others that sell for exponentially more!
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon is a blend of 78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Merlot, 7% Malbec and 3% Petit Verdot. Medium to deep ruby, it has an incredible nose of licorice, dried flowers and mint chocolate over black berries and black cherries, cedar shavings and pencil lead, plus spicy clove and star anise touches. Medium to full-bodied, it floods the mouth with plush flavor layers wrapped in chocolate-textured, pixelated tannins and great freshness to counter, finishing long and luscious. 7,177 cases produced."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon comes from a hot, sunny vintage yet has a pure, classy character. Notes of creme de cassis, tobacco, leafy herbs, and spring flowers are just some of the aromatics and it's medium-bodied, elegant, and incredibly polished on the palate. It's another wine from Ramey that's nicely balanced, with terrific purity and loads of class."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "David Ramey's 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley) is racy and inviting, with all of its natural exuberance on display. Another year in bottle has really helped the 2015 come together. Pretty red fruit and floral notes add a kick of brightness to balance the natural exuberance of the growing season."
- Item #: i_256670Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleBob Foley is a rock star in the wine industry and we are happy he never quit his day job of wine making to pursue his dream of playing guitar! If there was a Napa Valley hall of fame he would have our vote amongst inductees! Seriously though, Bob has been making wine since the late 1970s and has worked crafting some of Napa's finest cult wines including Hourglass, Paloma, Pride Mountain, Switchback Ridge and School House to name a few. While busy making wine for these awesome producers, Bob found the time to open and operate the Robert Foley Winery which has been in production for almost 20 years earning him a reputation for producing very expressive wines that finish gracefully.
- Item #: i_256600Bottle Size: 750mlBob Foley is a rock star in the wine industry and we are happy he never quit his day job of wine making to pursue his dream of playing guitar! If there was a Napa Valley hall of fame he would have our vote amongst inductees! Seriously though, Bob has been making wine since the late 1970s and has worked crafting some of Napa's finest cult wines including Hourglass, Paloma, Pride Mountain, Switchback Ridge and School House to name a few. While busy making wine for these awesome producers, Bob found the time to open and operate the Robert Foley Winery which has been in production for almost 20 years earning him a reputation for producing very expressive wines that finish gracefully.
- "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon (100% Cabernet Sauvignon from Calistoga, Mt. Veeder and Atlas Peak) is essentially the same size, maybe slightly more concentrated, with more noticeable tannin, but again, much like most wines from this vintage, it possesses wonderful, charming, nearly irresistibly ripe, juicy fruit, succulence, opulence and a medium to full-bodied personality. Drink it over the next 12-15 years."
- Item #: i_258220Bottle Size: 750MLAfter making powerful, age-worthy, and high-scoring wines at Beringer for several decades, Ed Sbragia decided to step back and focus on wines from his family's properties in Sonoma County. Anybody who has had the Reserve Cabs and Chard made by Ed can attest to the fact that his wines are full of personality, and given the price points of the Sbragia wines vis-à-vis the scores they earn, these wines offer tremendous values! This bottling comes from the family's property in Dry Creek Valley, perched on a hillside, giving the vineyard ample sunshine and well-drained soils for superior grape quality.
- Item #: i_275290Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91Vinous Media: 92ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "(aged for 23 months in 50% new oak; McClellan told me he watered back the 2015s "for the sake of balance"): Bright red-ruby. Explosive ripe scents of black raspberry, cassis, licorice, cocoa powder, menthol and tobacco leaf. Bright, sweet and strong, with an almost grapey immediacy to its sweet boysenberry and glossy oak flavors. Still quite primary, this rather powerful Cabernet boasts excellent definition and lift and finishes with a serious dusting of tannins. (14.9% alcohol)"
WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Tightly structured and focused, with currant, stony mineral and tobacco flavors that build toward firm but refined tannins. Best from 2021 through 2025. 1,210 cases made."