- Item #: i_211130Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+ROBERT PARKER 93+ POINTS - "Another soft, opulent, voluptuously textured wine is the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Rian, offering up chocolate, licorice, forest floor and blackberry fruit with a touch of coffee bean and white chocolate. It is full-bodied, round and juicy with a dense opaque color, like its siblings, and shows maybe more tannin in the finish – but again, is approachable and accessible. It should be drunk now and over the next 15-20 years."
- Item #: i_200380Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91The David Arthur Estate is located high on Pritchard Hill, on the eastern side of the Napa Valley. The rough mountain terrain and rocky red soils provide ideal growing conditions for wine grapes such as Cabernet Sauvignon. In 1978, Donald Long and his 28 year old son David began the epic job of building roads, clearing land and finally planting wine grapes. Although David lacked a formal viticultural education, he learned hands-on by working in the vineyards and cellars of local wineries such as the Chappellet and Joseph Phelps. The first vintage of Chardonnay was harvested in 1985, followed by Cabernet Sauvignon in the nineties. As his experience and knowledge of the land grew, David learned the ability of these hills to grow the very finest wine grapes. Today, with the help of a highly insightful team, David Arthur continues to cultivate rich concentrated wine grapes that in turn help them craft distinctive and memorable wines.
Meritaggio is the brainchild of the Long brothers. Wanting to fulfill his desire of producing a fine Meritage blend, David set out to find clones of the five classic Bordeaux varietals. On his travels, he came across Sangiovese, which stole the spotlight from any Malbec he had ever tasted. Bob had the brilliance to name the wine "Meritaggio" in honor of Sangiovese's Italian Heritage.
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "Winemaker Nile Zacherle has done a fabulous job with the 2014s at David Arthur. The wines showed just as well, or better, than they did last year."
"The 2014 Meritaggio Estate is a very beautiful, classy wine. Bright, focused and nuanced, the 2014 offers striking aromatics and finely sculpted fruit, all in a refreshing, mid-weight style that will drink well early. Red stone fruit and sweet floral notes are pushed forward in this attractive mid-weight wine. The 2014 has a bit less Sangiovese than in the past."
- Item #: i_222350Bottle Size: 750mlThe Fontanella Cabernets first caught our eyes while being poured at a trade tasting and it tasted better than several others selling for a lot more money! Jeff cut his "winemaking teeth" at Opus One and ZD, so he knows how to get everything he wants out of his grapes. This bottling is all Mt. Veeder fruit, aged for 21 months entirely in French oak.
The Fontanella 2014 Cabernet leads with black currant and cherries. Mouth-filling cassis and black plum flavors are highlighted by sweet barrel notes and the trademark Mt. Veeder minerality. The long, lingering finish makes this the perfect Cab to savor with a meal – or just some great company.
- Item #: i_226700Bottle Size: 750mlFounded in 2005 by third-generation Napa farmer Tom Gamble, Gamble Family Vineyards farms approximately 175 acres of prime estate vineyards from several of Napa Valley's most respected AVAs – Oakville, Yountville, Mt. Veeder, and Rutherford. Set in an isolated nook off of Highway 29 in the heart of Napa Valley's Oakville District, the winery, open to guests by invitation, has a quiet and pastoral presence. Tom Gamble's mission is to carry on the heritage of quality farming that his ancestors sowed when they came to Napa as farmers and ranchers in 1916. A family farming for over 100 years does so only through constant reinvestment in the environment and the people that support it. Knowledge and abilities evolve over time. Constant improvement means always trying new things and keeping what works. His winery and vineyards are certified Napa Green and certified by Fish Friendly Farming.
For 2014, the final blend is comprised of 32% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Cabernet Franc, 28% Merlot, and 8% Petit Verdot, aged in French oak barrels, of which 46% were new.
- Item #: i_237020Bottle Size: 750MLJohn & Tracey Skupney's 214 Cabernet Franc (named after the specific clone used in the wine) is viewed as a 'Vin de Garde', or a wine to age, meaning that with proper cellaring the wine will display additional complexities and nuance.
This is the seventh vintage of Lang & Reed "Two-Fourteen" Cabernet Franc, which displays a brilliant crimson color with a typical, youthful violet-blue edge. The aroma distills white and red cherry with an ethereal "sous bois" (or forest floor) impression. On the palate, this wine possesses bright and pure Cabernet Franc flavors of firm black cherry, cassis and graphite, which are expansive and made mouthwatering by ample fresh fruit acidity. The finish is supported by solid, but not oppressive, tannins, which have flavor elements that provide memorable length. This is a fresh and exacting expression of Cabernet Franc, attributed to the 214 clone, that will serve well now or gain in complexity with additional bottle age.
- Item #: i_237260Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes: "The nose has deep cherry and blackberry enhanced by cocoa powder and hints of vanilla and toast. The youthful fruit and welcomed acidity are apparent from the first sip. The wine unfolds and offers a rich, mouth filling texture that persists. The layering and integration of flavors is simultaneously enticing and intriguing. This wine has aged beautifully and is ready for your table."
- Item #: i_241330Bottle Size: 750ml"Old school", "classic" Napa Cabernet crafted by a young, passionate team helmed by Steve Matthiasson. The fruit for this wine is 93% Cabernet Sauvignon farmed by Steve Matthiasson. It’s a combination of Vinyards from Coombsville, Oak Knoll and Rutherford with 7% Cabernet Franc farmed by Doug Hill in Coombsville. The oak is 100% French, 50% new from mixed forests & coopers and was inspired by Warren Winiarski’s barrel regime from the early 1970’s. Fermentation was in stainless steel tank and elevage was 22 months. All Vinyards are farmed organically and the ingredients are; grapes, yeast and SO2. No mega purple, no velcorin etc...This one builds in its quiet intensity wth an hour or two of air, pretty stuff!
- Item #: i_241380Bottle Size: 750ml'Old school', 'classic' Napa Cabernet crafted by a young, passionate team helmed by Steve Matthiasson. The fruit for this wine is 93% Cabernet Sauvignon farmed by Steve Matthiasson. It’s a combination of Vinyards from Coombsville, Oak Knoll and Rutherford with 7% Cabernet Franc farmed by Doug Hill in Coombsville. The oak is 100% French, 50% new from mixed forests & coopers and was inspired by Warren Winiarski’s barrel regime from the early 1970’s. Fermentation was in stainless steel tank and elevage was 22 months. All Vinyards are farmed organically and the ingredients are; grapes, yeast and SO2. No mega purple, no velcorin etc...This one builds in its quiet intensity with an hour or two of air, pretty stuff!
- Item #: i_264420Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Dollarhide Estate Vineyard had a small part of the blend fermented in barrels and spent 19 months in 66% new French oak before being bottled. Its deep ruby/purple color is followed by a rich, concentrated, slightly reserved 2014 that has lots of blackcurrant, toasted spice, earth and espresso aromas and flavors. With medium to full-bodied richness, impressive mid-palate concentrated, ripe tannin, and outstanding length, it's an impressive 2014 that will last for 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_290370Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 33% Cabernet Sauvignon, 24% Petite Sirah, 24% Merlot, 18% Petit Verdot, and 1% Malbec, this wine starts off with aromas of dried flowers, plum and spice, all leading to rich flavors of dark fruit, baked cherries, dusty chocolate and more. The intensity and luscious mouthfeel are balanced by integrated tannins and a deft touch of acidity. Together, those add a sense of freshness that lasts through the long, layered finish.