- Item #: i_215492Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Arrowood Winery is pure Sonoma, located in the historic Sonoma Valley, a swath of land tucked between the Mayacamas Mountains and Napa to the east, and Sonoma Mountain to the west. When Richard and Alis Arrowood started the winery in 1986, Richard was already experienced and quite revered from his stints at Korbel and Chateau St. Jean. The Arrowood winery first came to prominence by way of the single-vineyard Chardonnays and Reserve Cabernets that were hoarded by most of the savvy collectors, and this was at a time where Napa Cabernets were quite popular, but this wasn’t the case in Sonoma. Richard’s methods made people take note of Sonoma Cabernets, and the region owes him quite a lot! The Arrowoods have since retired and sold the property, but the new owners and their winemaker (Kristina Werner) have every intention of keeping this property a world-class winery, and judging by this bottling, they haven’t missed a beat!
Kristina crafted this 2014 Réserve Spéciale from the finest vineyard sources in Sonoma County, and this represents their very best barrels, and the finest Cabernet Arrowood produces. The majority of the fruit came from the Sonoma Valley AVA, where low-yielding, rocky growing sites bring balance and elegance to this very complex wine. A small percentage of fruit from the Knights Valley AVA offer the wine a darker aromatic profile and fuller tannin profile. Aged for 24 months in predominantly new French oak barrels, the nose introduces you to the wine with seductive dark fruit and aromas of blackberry, fresh fig, licorice, and is rich in complexities. Fresh notes of Bing cherry and violet also surface as the wine breathes. Framed by a firm structure and silky elegance, the persisting texture defines what makes this wine the Reserve Speciale. The power behind this wine ingratiates itself to the entire palate—dark chocolate and nutmeg outline baking spices and plum. And a lingering finish will carry on long afterwards. The long barrel aging and year in bottle before release guarantee its readiness to drink. However, those that hold onto it will be rewarded, with an aging potential of 20+ years.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Speciale has a black forest cake and creme de cassis-scented nose with touches of charcoal, black soil, mocha and salami plus a hint of cigar box. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is packed with black fruit and savory layers with beautifully ripe, fine-grained tannins and just enough freshness, finishing with great persistence. 1,103 cases produced."
- Item #: i_201500Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon (Knights Valley) is very pretty. Bright, punchy and full of life, the 2016 has too much to offer. A rush of red berry fruit, flowers, savory herbs and crushed rocks runs through this super-expressive, delineated Cabernet Sauvignon. This is a gorgeous Knights Valley Cabernet. The mid-weight, energetic style is quite appealing."
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "Similarly colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley is a bigger, richer wine loaded with notions of chocolatey dark fruits, notes of loamy earth and cedar, medium to full body, and a charming, delicious, mouthfilling style. It's another outstanding wine from this team that has loads to love."
- Item #: i_204350Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine was made with grapes grown with certified sustainable farming methods. Benziger's sustainable philosophy promotes natural vineyard management, restoration of the land and biodiversity on the estate. Benziger's Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon is very inviting with aromas of black olive and savory, dark fruit. Its well weighted structure and integrated tannins add a light chalkiness to the palate. Flavors of black currant, Bing cherry and juicy plum endure from start to finish, as hints of tea and cocoa help support the mid-palate.
- Item #: i_205310Bottle Size: 750mlBeringer Vineyards has owned and farmed its Knights Valley vineyards since the mid-1960s, when the Beringer family recognized that the cobbled, rocky alluvial soils were a great place to grow high quality wine grapes. The Knights Valley designation was first used on a Beringer label in 1974. Beringer was instrumental in garnering official recognition for the area in 1983 as a premier wine growing region with the award of its own American Viticulture Area (AVA) designation.
This approachable and delicious Cabernet Sauvignon is a generous Bordeaux blend, with soft and silky tannins and a plush, full mouth-feel. Although this wine is built to age and develop further complexity, the generous and juicy upfront fruit makes it extremely enjoyable in its youth. Aromas of dried herbs, lavender, fresh boysenberry and lanolin join flavors of dark fruit led by figs, black cherry, and currants. The pronounced oak spice notes work well with the more traditional Knights Valley tones of black olive, wild sage and mocha. The wine is well-balanced with good acidity, structured tannins and a superbly elegant finish.
- Item #: i_210200Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Chalk Hill's Estate is a compendium of unique microclimates, exposures and soil types. They are fortunate to be able to make everything from aromatic Sauvignon Blanc to big, bold Syrah. Nowhere is this ideal situation more evident than in their Estate Red, which is just that - the best blend of the red wines made from the estate. Each variety is perfectly matched to the vineyard site. The blend will also vary from year to year, as the vineyard yields and fruit quality depend greatly on the weather during springtime bloom and set, and during harvest. Cabernet and Malbec were the stars in 2016, and form the base of this Estate Red. Grapes grown on the rocky slopes of their Estate West vineyard make up the balance of the blend. This year, the final blend is comprised of 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Malbec, 9% Petit Verdot, and 7% Merlot.
Chalk Hill's 2016 Estate Red opens with bold and intense aromas of blackberry, anise, tobacco leaf and dark chocolate. The palate is rich and savory, with layered flavors of black cherry, dark chocolate and leather with oak influences of vanilla and toast. Though firm, the tannins are rounded by a balanced acidity and a long and smooth finish. Though appealing in its youth, this wine will also age beautifully over the next 15 years.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Estate Red is a blend of 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Malbec, 9% Petit Verdot and 7% Merlot. Deep ruby-purple, it's scented of pencil lead, cedar, cassis, maraschino cherry, cigar box and chocolate with touches of cardamom and dried spices. The palate is medium to full-bodied and lushly fruited, with a firm frame of very ripe, grainy tannins and just enough freshness, finishing long. 4,998 cases produced."
- Item #: i_216826Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 27% Merlot, 16% Zinfandel, 8% Petite Sirah, 5% Malbec, 5% Petit Verdot, 2% Syrah, and 2% Carignan, this enticing wine displays gorgeous aromas of blackberry, plum, dark red fruit and cranberry, with hints of caramel and exotic spices. The luxurious berry notes are echoed on the palate, where they are supported by supple, refined tannins and an energetic mouthfeel that carries the wine to a long, lush finish.
- Item #: i_214580Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93A new project from the owners of Sinegal winery, Details is a bold Cabernet Sauvignon that blends Merlot, Petite Sirah, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot from Sonoma County. This vintage features fruit from the AVA’s of Sonoma Valley, Knights Valley, Alexander Valley, Dry Creek, and Chalk Hill.
Each specific appellation was chosen for its unique composition and contribution to the overall blend. The majority of this vintage hails from the Sonoma Valley AVA, from a premier eastern hillside site, along the Mayacamas Mountains behind Oakville. We wanted to balance the masculine structure with softer feminine qualities to arrive at a truly approachable wine when young, while improving with age—if you have the patience to wait. The tension between immediate versus delayed gratification. Your call...
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Details Cabernet Sauvignon is a new project from David Sinegal and winemaker Ryan Knoth made from a collection of top sites in Sonoma County, with a strong focus on Moon Mountain. Silky, yet powerful, with striking depth, the 2018 is simply magnificent. Readers will find a mid-weight, savory Cabernet Sauvignon. Best of all, the 2018 is a ridiculous value in today's world."
- Item #: i_220590Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Delightfully rich, charming and accesssible, with ripe, firm tannis and a compelling core of rich dark berry, licorice, sage and cedar flavors. Impressive throughout. Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, Petit Verdot, Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_229120Bottle Size: 750mlGail is a limited production, family-owned operation with a focus on the Sonoma Valley. Their single vineyard wines are produced from rare, backyard vineyards to established sites throughout the Sonoma Valley appellation, each bottle is numbered for release. Doris is their sister label, a nod to the European table wines their great aunt would serve to friends and family while hosting traditional Italian-American feasts in her backyard.
This, the inaugural release of Cabernet Sauvignon under the Doris label wine, is all from a single vineyard planted in the Warm Springs region of Sonoma Valley. These vines sit at the base of Sonoma Mountain. A dense forest of live oaks and pines mingle with Sonoma's signature eucalyptus trees offering up notes of wintergreen and menthol. The site is notorious for ripening late into the growing season, allowing the fruit to develop at the perfect pace. Offering up a spectrum of flavors from blueberry to blackberry.
- Item #: i_228430Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "Lovely aromas of rose petal, sage and blood orange zest elevate the core juicy fruit of pomegranate, Bing cherry and guava. The flavors echo the aromas with the addition of cranberry, pink grapefruit and an elegant minerality. Balanced acidity and fine tannins along with red fruit and earth flavors unfold across the palate, ending with a long, mineral-driven finish."
- Item #: i_223830Bottle Size: 750MLIn 1980, screenwriter Robert Kamen purchased 280 acres of the southwestern slopes of the Mayacamas Range in Sonoma County. This mountainous property was rugged, overgrown, extremely rocky and very remote: virgin territory with no roads and no power. It was isolated, wild, beautiful and full of potential. Viticulturist Phil Coturri was brought into the project to develop and oversee the master plan. The vineyards are all biodynamically farmed. His vineyards are located in Sonoma Valley, on the backside of Mount Veeder, and year after year this is one of the finest Cabernets to come out of the area. 2018 was not a great vintage only in Napa; in fact, this shows that some of the Napa guys can still learn a thing or two from Sonoma!
With phenomenal concentration, this wine has a core of ripe black-raspberries, wild blackberries, black currants and freshly picked cherries that anchor the aromatic profile. Bright notes of freshly picked wildflowers followed by hints of sunbaked rocks after the rain, marzipan, Oolong tea, black cardamom and milk chocolate add tremendous depth and complexity. The flavors follow suit and are richly layered, exquisitely balanced and refined. This deliciously seamless wine offers ripe, mouthwatering tannins and a lengthy finish. Enjoy now and over its decades long evolution.
- Item #: i_236250Bottle Size: 750MLRich and boldly flavored, this Sonoma Valley Cabernet offers an intriguing bouquet of vanilla, raspberry and caramel that wraps around a core of black cherry, cassis and raspberry flavors. Kunde's estate Cabernet's rich, chewy tannins play across the palate and linger on the wine's complex finish.
- Item #: i_240150Bottle Size: 750mlNever being the kind to just rest on their laurels, the Louis Martini winery keeps making top-notch wine for exceptionally reasonable prices. Not only has this been a previous Hi-Time "Wine of the Month", but it has also been rated at the top of the restaurants list of greatest wines for the price! Heck…even wine critic Robert Parker called a previous vintage of this wine, "one of the great values in Cabernet Sauvignon in the marketplace".
For more than 70 years, Martini family winemakers have walked the hillside vineyards of Napa and Sonoma counties, searching for the most distinctive flavors of the best Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. Winemaker Michael Martini performs every aspect of winemaking by hand; no "wine factory" mentality, here! He blends small batches of mouth-filling wines (for this bottling, Alexander Valley and Dry Creek Valley) that can highlight the differences in the vineyards or balance their individual strengths in a marriage of flavor and structure.
The tannins make the young wine approachable but will still give it enough texture to age gracefully. This vintage had a long, calm growing season, helping create elevated and concentrated flavors that include wild berries, plum, licorice and mocha. The full-bodied and mouth-coating feel on the palate leads to a long, graceful finish with tones of intense fruit, dried herbs and cedar inside firm structure.
- Item #: i_253630Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+The Mount Peak story begins more than a century ago at the celebrated Monte Rosso Vineyard (one of the truly great vineyards in Sonoma County) and culminates with the revival of Mount Peak Winery, a vistige of one of California's ghost wineries. These wines are inspired by this great place, and the new owners pay tribute to the extraordinary winery that once stood there by capturing its enduring spirit in the wine.
Mount Peak's "Sentinel" Cabernet Sauvignon is named for the shield-shaped block that pays a watchful eye to the entrance to Monte Rosso Vineyard. It's a muscular and intense wine with rich, deep tannins and mouthfilling, concentrated fruit. Aromas of ripe dark currants mingle with hints of brown sugar and sweet mint. Flavors of blackberry and cherry are woven through anise and toasted cedar, echoing in a long finish that is framed with notes of sweet cream. This wine has tremendous aging potential.
ROBERT PARKER 92+ POINTS - "The Mount Peak Winery is named after the original ghost winery that was on the Monte Rosso property, now owned by the Gallo family. The three wines I tasted are super-impressive, powerful, rich and concentrated."
"Lastly, 4,750 cases were made of the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Sentinel, 83% from the Monte Rosso Vineyard in Sonoma and the rest from other Sonoma sources. It is a blend of 97% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Petite Sirah aged in 53% new French oak. Again, ripeness is well-noted in the 15.7% alcohol, but there is not a bit of heat to the wine's overall character. A wine of considerable stature, gravitas, intensity and full-bodied power, it is muscular, backward and somewhat primordial, this wine needs a good 1-2 more years bottle age and should last for 25-30 years."
- Item #: i_246110Bottle Size: 750mlHere’s a delightful Cabernet from a reliable winery at a very fair price! Murphy-Goode Estate Winery was founded in 1985 and produces excellent wines from grapes sourced from over 300 acres of vineyards in Sonoma’s Alexander Valley. This is a classic Alexander Valley Cabernet with seductive aromatics that feature blackberries, plums, sweet herbs, anise, dark chocolate, coffee and toasty oak. The complex aromas are mirrored on the palate with layers of flavors that include blackberries, cherries, currants, and baker’s chocolate. Aging in a combination of French and American oak has added vanilla and coffee nuances and supple texture. Crowd-pleasing Cabernet that tastes like a $20.00 bottle. Buy it by the case!