- Item #: i_275130Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90Wine Spectator: 90Jeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "The entry-level 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon lacks the intensity and depth of the Lynch Family Vineyard, yet has attractive blackcurrants, blueberries, cedarwood, and graphite aromas, medium to full body, supple tannins, and outstanding balance. It's a beautiful wine to drink over the coming 10-15 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Deep purple-black in color, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon is a little closed at this youthful stage, giving notions of black and red cherries, black plums and blackcurrants plus wafts of mossy bark and spice box. Medium-bodied, it has a good amount of uncomplicated flavors in the mouth, framed by rounded tannins and finishing spicy."
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "A ripe and polished style, with cocoa-edged plum and blackberry preserve flavors carrying through a tobacco- and toast-filled finish. Drink now through 2024."
- Item #: i_205880Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsBootleg Red is a new production by Jackson Family Wine Collection; these are the people who own and produce awesome estate wines like Freemark Abbey, La Jota, and StoneStreet just to name a few. Trust us; there are too many "household" names you would recognize for us to list them all but you now have an idea of the quality they bring to the table.
This offering is their entry to the California "Red" category, a section of the domestic wine industry that has seen tremendous growth with labels such as "The Prisoner" becoming brands that everyone who drinks California wine has heard of. In terms of sales this category is as hot as Cabernet Sauvignon! This particular wine is a blend of 37% Merlot, 33% Petit Sirah, and 30% Syrah.
So what sets this apart from other blends and why should you try it? Fruit sources; using Vineyards they own, the Jackson Family sourced grapes from prestigious sub-AVAs within Napa like Yountville, Howell Mountain, and Mt Veeder, with the balance of fruit (18%) coming from their Mendocino Vineyards. The blending components going into this Red comes from outstanding vineyards of whom we all love. Plain and simple, you have outstanding winegrowing, winemaking and wine-blending with Bootleg Red!
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS! "It reveals a healthy purple color as well as a terrific bouquet of sweet creme de cassis, toasted bread, Asian spices, lavender, and dried herbs. With a fabulous texture, full body, notable purity of fruit, and a rich yet graceful style on the palate, it's one seriously hedonistic yet balanced, complex red that knocks it out of the park. Drink this rocking little gem any time over the coming 4-6 years. (I wouldn't be surprised to see it keep longer.)"
- Item #: i_212290Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 90 PointsCoho is the shared aspiration of Brooks Painter and Gary Lipp to produce flavorful, balanced wines. Grown in select cool-climate vineyards, Coho wines emphasize fruit purity and vitality. Brooks and Gary combined experience working for California wineries totals almost sixty years, both involved in all aspects of their craft, acquiring the skills to bottle passion. Coho's name might seem curious as it doesn't invoke images of vineyards or wine, but the salmon embodies an innate wisdom so essential to understanding ourselves and our environment.
JEB DUNNUCK 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Red Blend Headwaters checks in as 39% Merlot, 37% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 24% Petit Verdot aged 21 months in 30% French oak. Some graphite, black fruits, scorched earth, and tobacco notes all emerge from this beauty, which has a layered, medium to full-bodied, sexy style on the palate that just begs to be drunk. With no hard edges, the purity of fruit that makes the vintage so special, and outstanding length, it's not going to make old bones, but it unquestionably offers loads of pleasure today."
- Item #: i_211030Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of fruit from Oakville and Atlas Peak. These two sub-regions of the Napa Valley typically sell anywhere upwards of $60 per bottle, but this one costs less than $40!!
- Item #: i_200380Bottle Size: 750mlThe David Arthur Estate is located high on Pritchard Hill, on the eastern side of the Napa Valley. The rough mountain terrain and rocky red soils provide ideal growing conditions for wine grapes such as Cabernet Sauvignon. In 1978, Donald Long and his 28 year old son David began the epic job of building roads, clearing land and finally planting wine grapes. Although David lacked a formal viticultural education, he learned hands-on by working in the vineyards and cellars of local wineries such as the Chappellet and Joseph Phelps. The first vintage of Chardonnay was harvested in 1985, followed by Cabernet Sauvignon in the nineties. As his experience and knowledge of the land grew, David learned the ability of these hills to grow the very finest wine grapes. Today, with the help of a highly insightful team, David Arthur continues to cultivate rich concentrated wine grapes that in turn help them craft distinctive and memorable wines.
This Bordeaux-style blend allows the Long family to weave together the rich, concentrated elegance and power of their mountain-grown Bordeaux varietals and the best of surrounding vineyards within the Napa Valley. The wine is aged an average of 20 months in French oak barrels, blended with meticulous care and bottled at their vineyard estate. The result is a complex array of aromas and flavors that deliver plush, mouth-filling structure with soft, elegant tannins.
Winemaker's Notes: Dark ruby-red color offers bright fruit aromas of baked cherry, plum and wild strawberry. There are subtle baking spices, notes of anise/licorice and cola. The palate is plush with fine grained tannin polished yet has freshness of mild acidity. A long finish with candied plum, tamarind and Maraschino cherries.
- Item #: i_278550Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon opens with vibrant notions of freshly crushed blackcurrants, black raspberries, warm blueberries and menthol with hints of cigar box and crushed rocks. Medium to full-bodied, it fills the mouth with crunchy black fruits and mineral accents, framed by firm, ripe, grainy tannins and bold freshness, finishing long."
- Item #: i_217322Bottle Size: 750MLAn enticing blend of 76% Cabernet Sauvignon, 22% Merlot, 1% Cabernet Franc, 1% Petit Verdot. Crafted around a core of robust, mountain-grown Cabernet Sauvignon, this Napa Valley wine embodies the power and intensity of its rugged, high-elevation terroir. The blend focuses on fruit from Duckhorn's two Howell Mountain Estate vineyards-Stout and Candlestick Ridge-yielding a wine with exceptional structure and extracted aromatics of peppermint, chocolate, bramble, cedar, soy and ginger spice. On the palate, it is lush and mouth-filling, highlighting Howell Mountain’s signature wild berry and currant flavors, alongside notes of toasted marshmallow, espresso, earth, sage and sandalwood.
- Item #: i_229100Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93All of the grapes in Gallo's Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon come from their acclaimed William Hill Estate vineyard in Southern Napa. Set above the valley floor at varying elevations, this vineyard sees diverse microclimates and basks in abundant sunlight, thanks to its southwestern exposure. Volcanic soils that are rocky, thin and nutrient-deprived stress the vines to produce smaller berries with vivid flavor and color concentration. Significant variation between day and night temperatures at this vineyard yield red Bordeaux varietals - Cabernet Sauvignon in particular - with intense fruit character and refined acidity.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley comes sashaying out of the glass with floral notes of violets and lilacs over a core of warm cassis, baked black cherries and mulberries plus touches of cedar and pencil lead. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is an exercise in poise with lovely fine-grained tannins and well-knit freshness supporting the bold black fruits, finishing long and fragrant. Terrific value! 485 cases were made."
- Item #: i_226715Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Founded in 2005 by third-generation Napa farmer Tom Gamble, Gamble Family Vineyards farms approximately 175 acres of prime estate vineyards from several of Napa Valley's most respected AVAs – Oakville, Yountville, Mt. Veeder, and Rutherford. Set in an isolated nook off of Highway 29 in the heart of Napa Valley's Oakville District, the winery, open to guests by invitation, has a quiet and pastoral presence. Tom Gamble's mission is to carry on the heritage of quality farming that his ancestors sowed when they came to Napa as farmers and ranchers in 1916. A family farming for over 100 years does so only through constant reinvestment in the environment and the people that support it. Knowledge and abilities evolve over time. Constant improvement means always trying new things and keeping what works. His winery and vineyards are certified Napa Green and certified by Fish Friendly Farming.
There are several Napa Cabs at the $50 price point, but very few of those stand out as being superior from the others. However, Gamble Family's 2015 Cabernet is one of those wines that really sets itself apart from the rest of the crowd! With body, flavor intensity, balance, and a lengthy finish, this is a wine that not only drinks well by itself, but it's perfectly at home with a nice cut of beef, Portobello mushrooms, or lamb. This year, the wine combines all five of the traditional varieties.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley is a blend of 82% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Malbec, 4% Cabernet Franc, 3% Petit Verdot and 3% Merlot. It has a very deep garnet-purple color and struts a flamboyant nose of crushed red and black cherries, blueberries and cassis with hints of roses, dusty soil, baking spices and tobacco. Medium to full-bodied, it coats the mouth with vibrant black fruit, framed by ripe, grainy tannins and finishing long and expressive."
- Item #: i_227182Bottle Size: 750mlROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Blended of 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot, 6% Petit Verdot and 4% Cabernet Franc, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon has a deep garnet-black color and nose of black and red berries, earth and herbs with savory hints. The palate is medium to full-bodied, firm, chewy and lively."
- Item #: i_227340Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A hint of singed savory leads off, turning quickly to a core of raspberry and mulberry fruit, lined with alluring tea, sanguine and iron notes. Offers fine-grained grip and should unwind nicely in the cellar. Drink now through 2030. Tasted twice, with consistent notes. 27,000 cases made."
- Item #: i_227520Bottle Size: 750mlBroodingly deep ruby in color, 2016 Steady State shows fragrant notes of cassis buds, ripe red and black cherries, as well as warm, complex aromas of blackberry brambles, wild rosemary and lavender. Intense and focused on the palate, the tannins are well-proportioned, lending elegance and charm throughout the long, aromatic finish. While drinkable upon release, this wine has the balance and structure to drink nicely for 8 to 10 years.
- Item #: i_230710Bottle Size: 375ML**Please note, this is a half sized bottleTextbook conditions saw near-ideal spring bud break, steady flowering, even fruit set, a lengthy stretch of warm days, and cool and often foggy nights during the long summer months. Late and light rains held off until grapes found optimal ripeness, bringing exceptional quality to the crush pad and into the cellar. The fruit for this wine comes from both Honig's sustainably farmed vineyard in Rutherford, and from local Napa Valley vineyards.
Aged for 18 months in American oak barrels, there's plenty of ripe, wild berry and plum aromas and flavors, framed by vanilla, spice, and toasty oak. Lush mid-palate tannins flow into a lengthy finish accented by bright fruit. Drink now through 2024.
- Item #: i_232380Bottle Size: 750mlJamieson Ranch Vineyards is the southernmost winery in the Napa Valley. The property's rolling hillsides and vineyards were formerly Part of General Mariano Vallejo's Rancho Suscol in the mid-1800's. Today, the ranching tradition continues with cattle grazing the hillsides, an apiary, and of course, prime vineyards. The soils are clay loam, which means the grapes will help give rich fruit profiles to the finished wine. Also, the excellent water drainage in the ground means smaller berries which helps to intensify color, aromas, and flavors. Combine this with the owners being good stewards of the land, along with the help of a fantastic winemaking, and you have some of the ingredients for producing amazing wine!
Most of the southern portion of the Napa Valley tends to be on the cool side, and prime location for grapes such as Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. But there are some warm pockets here-and-there where Bordeaux varietals like Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot thrive just as well as the rest of the valley. Jamieson Ranch sits in one of those pockets, and boy have they hit a home run with their Double Lariat Cabernet!
- Item #: i_233850Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90Vinous Media: 91ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "Keenan's 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley) is powerful and a bit rough around the edges although it is certainly not lacking in character. Dark red cherry, savory herb, earthiness, tobacco and cedar add to the wine's somewhat rustic personality, and yet there is more than enough depth in the fruit to balance things out. Medium to full in body, but very much classically built the 2016 has so much to offer, especially for readers who can look past a few small blemishes."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon is deep garnet-purple colored with a plums, cassis and baked berries nose with violets, cedar, cigars and earth. The medium to full-bodied mouth is firm and grainy with decent concentration and an earthy finish."
- Item #: i_235140Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94In the heart of Napa Valley's Calistoga region lies a property that amazes both the sightseer, and the winemaker. Tom Kenefick's vineyard has been the source for many high-scoring wines from Lewis, Behren's and Hitchcock, and Cade.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Franc Estate Grown Caitlin's Select is bold, powerful and wonderfully juicy. Although I can't say the 2016 is especially varietal, it is a very pretty, supple wine endowed with terrific presence and personality. Dark red cherry, plum, new leather, spice and rose petal give the 2016 brightness and lift, both of which complement the natural richness of this site nicely."
- Item #: i_236080Bottle Size: 750mlKuleto Estate is secluded deep in the wild solitude of eastern Napa. Their vineyards are scattered along the steep hillsides and windblown ridges above the valley floor, and about 8 miles back. At Kuleto, blocks and varieties are harvested in the order that they ripen...nothing unusual there. But instead of waiting for enough of a particular variety to ripen fully for the sake of having a pure tank or lot, Kuleto combines whatever fruit happens to be perfectly ripe at the moment. While co-fermentation of different varieties has not been the default protocol in the New World, it is intuitive and natural. It's also the genesis of their multi-varietal blends.
A blend of Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, and Merlot, this Rhone style blend is made for pure indulgence. India Ink is rich, full, oak driven and hedonistic. Selecting barrels and wine lots revolves around creating a blend that is deep purple in color, loaded with blue-black fruit aromas, and is meaty, rich and powerful on the palate. It exudes fresh red fruit and spice with hints of smoke and earth reminiscent of a once inhabited cave. These aromas continue to the palate, where blue and black fruits are complemented by hints of black pepper and dark chocolate. Pair India Ink with a grilled steak and vegetables.
- Item #: i_239710Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93Blend: 97% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Merlot, 1% Petit Verdot
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "A very pretty and solid cab with currant, cedar and walnut aromas and flavors. Medium to full body, firm and silky tannins and a delicious finish. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_241870Bottle Size: 750mlNamed in honor of Rolando Herrera's Father and their ancestral hometown in Michoacan, Mexico, "La Chole" is a blend of Syrah, Malbec, and a touch of Cabernet Sauvignon. Napa Valley's "sweet spot," fruit from the Oak Knoll AVA ripens slowly, maintaining freshness and aroma lift, while developing a soft mouthfeel with balanced alcohol and acidity. The Coombsville AVA lends soft but significant tannins, which provide excellent structure and mouthfeel, along with underlying layers of earth and mineral flavors. Approachable yet, sophisticated and layered.
Harmony in a glass, the bouquet has wisps of vanilla and caramel with ripe red fruits, violets, dried roses, white pepper, espresso, and coffee. Silky and elegant on the palate, the well-balanced flavors of black cherry, dried fig, and ripe plums, along with a kiss of oak, seamlessly integrate and carry though to the lingering finish.
- Item #: i_276820Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Containing 4% Merlot, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Stagecoach Vineyard is deep garnet-black in color with pronounced cassis, redcurrants, black cherries, eucalypt, dark chocolate and lavender. The palate is medium-bodied, elegant and vibrant with firm, grainy tannins and an herbal lift on the finish."
- Item #: i_246820Bottle Size: 750mlNewton's Unfiltered Cabernet Sauvignon features grapes from some of the best sites within the Napa Valley. Harvested from their Spring Mountain, Mt. Veeder and Yountville appellation vineyards, the blended fruit represents the essence of premium Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
Displaying a deep ruby color, the 2016 Unfiltered Cabernet Sauvignon is fresh, lush, and silky on the palate. Aromas of bramble berries, red cherry, and baking spices intermingle beautifully. While ready to drink now, this wine could easily age for another decade.
- Item #: i_249100Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleMarilyn and Ren Harris founded Paradigm Vineyards in 1976. Since that time they have grown fruit for many of Napa Valley's most outstanding wineries. They began bottling small quantities of estate wine in 1991. Throughout their ownership of Paradigm, Ren and Marilyn have been tireless advocates for the Oakville appellation, eco-friendly farming, and environmental stewardship.
The lovely and talented Heidi Petterson Barrett has been the winemaker since Paradigm's first vintage. While she has made wine for other notable Oakvile properties such as Dalle Valle and Screaming Eagle, Paradigm has always been the hidden gem for wine geeks in the know.
Winemaker's Notes: "Dark Cabernet color with beautiful aromas of black cherry, cassis, plus 5-spice, vanilla. Big, ripe and mouthcoating across the palate. The flavors are similar to the aromas with ripe fruit, berry/cherry pie, moderate tannins, and nice length. This wine shows enough structure to be age-worth, yet soft and balanced enough to enjoy upon release. Flavors linger in this tasty, dense wine. Tastes like Oakville."
- Item #: i_217260Bottle Size: 375ML**Please note, this is a half sized bottleA blend of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Zinfandel, and 5% Merlot.
Winemaker's Notes: "Rich and complex, this wine begins with inviting aromas of cherry and ripe wild strawberry, combined with hints of wood smoke and toasted marshmallow from barrel aging. On the palate, juicy layers of brambleberry, black cherry and nectarine are supported by firm, yet refined, tannins and impressive weight. Excellent structure from the Cabernet draws this wine to a full, rich finish."