- Item #: i_200170Bottle Size: 750mlGrapes were sourced from vineyards throughout Washington state, including the Horse Heaven Hills, Columbia Valley and the Wahluke Slope. Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Syrah & Petit Verdot were added to create a fruit-forward profile and enhanced mouth feel. The wine was aged for 12 months in a combination of American and French oak barrels to build structure and complexity in the blend. This Cabernet Sauvignon is a rich, juicy red that features aromas of dark cherry, black currants, coffee, and subtle hints of spice. These flavors are complemented by a touch of spicy oak and emphasized by refined tannins.
- Item #: i_201075Bottle Size: 750mlAuspicion is a proprietary label crafted by Opici Wines honoring the history of California winemaking. Fresh and fruit-forward selections are produced using grapes sourced from the finest varietals across northern California (this Cab is sourced from Napa, Lodi and Paso Robles). Brought to you by the Opici family, this collection embodies their tradition of delivering top quality wines at an excellent value.
Opici Wines (founded in 2013) is an importer and producer of fine wines, artisanal spirits and craft beers from around the globe. They were named "Importer of the Year" in 2014 by Wine Enthusiast Magazine in their annual Wine Star Awards-- so they know a thing or two about great wines. That they were able to make a California Cab that's as good as this wine is, for the price we are able to sell it for, is simply amazing! We sampled a few different bottles to make sure it's the real deal and are happy to report that in no uncertain terms, it is!
Tasting Notes - In the nose, sweet notes of strawberry, cherry and red plum are tempered with light wood spice and fruit leather. The palate has a soft entry filled with sweet fruits echoing the nose, balanced with silky tannins and light acidity. Red berries and cherry kirsch are topped with a touch of cocoa nibs and vanilla; the fruit flavors are the star of the show as the finish lingers nicely. This is a balanced, beautiful Cab that pairs with not only summer foods (barbecued meats, charcuterie, picnic foods), but also warm weather.
- Item #: i_201220Bottle Size: 750MLWith everyone feeling the pinch of the economy, value once again moves to the forefront with this wine! Sourced from sundry vineyards throughout Lodi, this little gem will make friends and influence people at a price that's sure to make your pocketbook smile! This lighter-styled Cabernet proffers a juicy, versatile palate. The wine leads off with a warm nose of cherry/berry, red currant fruit reiterated to the palate in conjunction with slight hints of cedar, boysenberry, sweet smoke and spice.
- Item #: i_205510Bottle Size: 750mlWe feel that Bogle has one of the most solid wine portfolios in the business, and they prove that it doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg! The Bogle family has been farming since the mid 1800’s and their reputation has continued to grow. The fact that they want to sell wines that people can actually afford doesn’t hurt, either. Cabernet Sauvignon is a grape that takes its own sweet time, slowly lingering to ripen on the vine. We are rewarded by its reluctance.
Ripe cherries and vivid plums create a welcome first impression, while touches of earth tones and leather nestle themselves among the fruit. Sixteen months in American barrels have produced wisps of tobacco leaf and notes of spicy cigar box. With well-integrated tannins and a rich and round finish, this wine is sure to be a favorite.
- Item #: i_206425Bottle Size: 750mlRich, round and flush with flavor. Aromas of blackberry and cassis with hints of spice and toasted oak are complemented by flavors of plum, black cherry and soft oak tannins.
- Item #: i_207960Bottle Size: 750mlA proprietary blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Merlot, & Petite Sirah, this is an extroverted dry red wine that is medium-bodied and rich in flavor. The nose exhibits fig, caramelized sugar, coffee, and chocolate, while the palate brings ripe cherries, berries, dark plum together with cedar, sandalwood and coffee. Powerfully engaging, and balanced with good acidity on the long finish.
- Item #: i_212040Bottle Size: 750mlJust as Cabernet is considered by many to be the "king" of all red wines, the carnivore in nature similarly sits atop the food chain. This Carnivor is a great Cab for the holidays-- it is bold, brash, but still very balanced wine. Carnivor starts and stays big: the nose is loaded with red and dark fruits with a touch of pepper/brown spices and earth. The palate continues with forward fruit (cherry and plum), more spice, earth, baker's chocolate and a soupcon of espresso. Following fermentation, Merlot was added to the wine, lending a touch of finesse to the power and structure of the Cabernet Sauvignon. Appropriate acidity keeps the palate from becoming cloying. The finish is long and rich with reverberations of fruit and earth. A large portion of the fruit for the Carnivor came from select vineyards in Lodi, where daytime heat and delta cooling in the evening help to produce intense ripe fruit.
Carnivor is a fantastic Cab-- it drinks way above its price point, has plenty of depth with ample fruit, earth and spice in its profile, has the backbone to pair with foods (and the fruit to enjoy solo) and will be a definite crowd-pleaser. It's good to be the king!
- Item #: i_210510Bottle Size: 750mlIt’s not always easy to find a fantastic California Cabernet Sauvignon at such a reasonable price-- but, it’s our goal every year for our December Wine of the Month. Once in a while, however, if we’ve been very good and Elf On The Shelf has nothing but positive comments to pass along to Santa, we find the right wine at the right time. This is that wine and we are completely besotted with it--- and believe you will be, too!
The nose is filled with cherry and red berry fruits, scents of rose petal and mixed florals with a touch of cigar box and earth. The fruit smells perfectly ripe! Upon tasting, the fruit flavors are clearly reiterated as more cherries and red berries dominate, bolstered by ample acidity and moderate tannins keeping the wine light on the tongue, uplifting, refreshing. California dust, mild earthiness and a soupçon of cured meats lend depth to the sweet fruits and moderating tannins and acidity. Extremely tasty and enjoyable with depth and flavors drinking way above its price point, this is certainly a holiday gift for all Cab lovers-- buy and enjoy with confidence!
About the Winery - Proprietor-négociants Chris Nickolopoulos and Elijah Pfister, through their parent company Nine North Wine Co. out of Napa, work with a handful of California’s most respected grape growers and wineries selecting the finest rows, plots, barrels and lots from each vintage. They strive to blend these selections into finished wines which carefully balance ripeness and acidity to achieve both regional typicity and unique, expressive flavor profiles. This is a story of two friends who started a wine company over many barbecues and countless bottles of wine.
“I grew up in a multi generational farming family. In 1974 at the age of five, I began to follow my grandfather every day on the family farm as he tended to his ranch. Over the years he taught me a lot about farming but more importantly about life. Then one day in my late teens, he told me it was time to get off the ranch and ‘go chase lions.’ I never asked him what he meant by that, because something inside me already knew. It’s been over 20 years now since he passed and I have been chasing lions ever since.”
For this unique blend, Chris and Elijah have been sourcing Cabernet and Merlot from the same vineyard sites for the last three years. When they first found the lot of Cabernet they thought, “Wow – that’s really good Cab from the central valley!” But they both felt it needed a little something to knock the dust off the fruit. They found a lot of Merlot (from Monterey County no less!), and blended in just a small percent. When they put their noses in the glasses, they knew they had a winner. Enjoy this crowd-pleasing wine with grilled hanger steak, burgers and grilled red meats.
- Item #: i_212415Bottle Size: 750mlColby Red is a delicious red wine dedicated to raising funds for cardiac research. It is a unique blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Syrah, Petite Sirah and Merlot that is rich and smooth.
This wine is named in honor of Colby Rex Groom, 16 year old son of Winemaker Daryl and Lisa Groom, who just prior to his 10th birthday underwent back to back open-heart surgeries. Colby is now living a healthy and happy life. With your support, over $1,000,000 is expected to be raised and donated to the American Heart Association and other Heart Health causes through sales of Colby Red.Now $1,500,OOO (12/12/2019)
"Colby Red is a wine for sheer delicious enjoyment. While it's a great wine with food, it tastes best in the company of good friends and family, savored with an appreciation of the gifts each moment brings." — Daryl Groom, Winemaker
- Item #: i_212450Bottle Size: 750mlThis is not a case of deja vu. If you follow our newsletter, you may recall that a Columbia Crest wine was our wine of the month last year at this time (the '09 H3 Cab, to be precise). This year, their red blend "Les Chevaux" (French for 'the horses') hit the home stretch well ahead of the dozen other worthy wines to take the purse.
Chevaux is a blend comprised of 80% Merlot, 13% Cabernet Sauvignon and 7% Syrah. Winemaker Juan Munoz Oca was raised in Mendoza, Argentina and worked with his grandfather, cellar master at Bodegas Toso winery, at a young age. Juan joined Columbia Crest in 2003 and was named head winemaker in 2011. Prior to 2011 he was dedicated to the winery's red wine program where he worked alongside Ray Einberger whose 2005 Reserve Cab became the first Washington wine to be named 'Wine of the Year' by Wine Spectator in 2009. Why Columbia Crest? Oca states: "The perfect grape-growing climate, the best viticultural practices, and a people committed to crafting the best bottle of wine vintage after vintage is what Columbia Crest's winemaking is all about."
The nose starts with Christmas spices, vanilla and cardamom, then adds a layer of cherry/plum/pomegranate reduction; a very attractive, inviting nose. The palate leads off with sweet cherry fruit and forward tannins as baking spices, Kriek lambic flavors and dark cocoa notes add depth and balance. The finish is lengthy and tasty as the big tannins slowly recede, leaving reverberations of red fruits, spice and a mineral earthiness to meander around the mouth for a few minutes more.
- "Supple and spicy, with a plush-textured, dark-hued, blackberry-rich mouthful lingering against creamy oak notes on the long and polished finish. Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah. Drink now through 2018."
- Item #: i_227420Bottle Size: 750mlGuenoc is part of the Langtry Estate, purchased by well-known personality and actress Lillie Langtry (1853-1929) in 1888. The Langtry Estate is located in the picturesque Guenoc Valley of Lake County, CA. With over 23,000 acres of land (Lillie’s initial purchase was for 4,200 acres), Langtry’s vast property spans throughout Lake County and into the northern tip of Napa Valley.
The Guenoc Lake County Wines are produced at their Lake County Winery from primarily estate grown fruit. Known as perennial “best buys”, these wines deliver the goods when it comes to quality-- and once the wine buyers tasted it, we knew we had “The One” when this was featured as a "Wine of the Month" (we’re suckers for excellent juice at fair prices!).
The nose on this California Cab is classic California-- plenty of ripe red fruits, cherries, redcurrant, with a layer of carob/chocolate and earthy dust. In the mouth, the fruit flavors are quite forward, with sweet cherries again in the lead, as cherry cousins (cola, lambic, Kirsch) tag along. Acidity is ample and keeps the sweet fruit honest as a hint of rose petal and more loamy earth and a brush of cocoa expands the profile. This is both an easy-drinker and comfy quaffer-- but it also keeps one foot in the erudite row of wine profiles with depth and range of flavors, full frontal acidity and smooth tannins.
- Item #: i_245500Bottle Size: 750MLIn a world where our competitors use the term too loosely, this wine truly is one that over delivers vis-à-vis its price point! Sourced from prime vineyards throughout California, Heavyweight packs quite a punch for the money, making it a Cabernet that will rival bottlings well above its small asking price. It is a knockout of a wine, with a dark ruby/garnet color, and rich, ripe, vibrant aromas of cherry, currant, raspberries, vanilla, and crème de cassis. Flamboyant and fruit-driven, the flavors of boysenberry, raspberry, cherry, and oak are brought together by additions of Syrah and Zin, giving the wine a touch of spice, richness, and soft, silky tannins.
- Item #: i_275832Bottle Size: 750mlLine 39's Cabernet Sauvignon exhibits rich fruit flavors of currant, blackberry, and ripe plum with hints of black tea on the palate. The wine finishes with subtle, smooth tannins that don't overpower this easy-to-drink Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Item #: i_271660Bottle Size: 750mlCalifornia Cabernet is a natural focus for us at Hi-Time, with our heritage in the Golden State, and a great grape to highlight during December, when family gatherings, office parties, end-of-the-year celebrations and lots more is going on. Central Coast fruit and a balanced use of American White Oak make for a good marriage. The nose is full of ripe red berry fruits, cherries and raspberries with a hint of strawberry, balanced by light spice and a touch of cocoa. Upon tasting, the sweet red berries are supported by subtle acidity and soft tannins. The finish shows a touch of cherry cola and black cherry as the flavors last and last. This is a crowd-pleaser, an easy-drinker and just plain tasty-and will fit just about any situation during this busy season.