- Item #: i_201190Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 92ROBERT PARKER 96 POINTS - "Very deep purple-black in color, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Helena Montana Vineyard gives up notes of coffee grounds, chocolate box and warm blueberries with hints of black currant cordial and blackberry pie, plus touches of tar and black soil. Medium-bodied and totally laden with tightly packed fruit layers and great tension, it has a very firm frame of grainy tannins and epic length. 847 cases produced."
- Item #: i_211280Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91Each year, Ancient Peaks crafts the limited-edition Oyster Ridge cuvee to exemplify their finest winemaking efforts. The name Oyster Ridge honors an outcropping that always astonishes visitors to their estate Margarita Vineyard. Here, large white oyster fossils are literally spilling out of the ground, fostering the type of calcium-rich soil that is coveted by winemakers worldwide. The 2016 vintage is a blend of 51% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 9% Petit Verdot, 4% Cabernet Franc, and 4% Malbec, all from meticulously farmed vineyard blocks cultivated for the Oyster Ridge program.
The 2016 Oyster Ridge offers a sumptuous bouquet of black berry and black currant with notes of creme de cassis, violets, vanilla bean, cedar and graphite. On the palate, the wine is exquisitely dense and integrated, showing chewy layers of black fruits interwoven with accents of caramel, mint, cinnamon spice and new oak. Fine-grained tannins and sleek acidity bring a resounding conclusion to what is nothing less than a blockbuster vintage for Oyster Ridge. This is a wine that will generously evolve in the bottle for years to come.
- Item #: i_206730Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+Vinous Media: 95+ANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Mythicus, Blankiet's 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, is another strong wine. Restrained and polished, but with plenty of supporting tannin, the 2014 is shaping up to be another strong wine. Today, the Mythicus is not as different from the Proprietary Red, but it is also tightly wound following its recent bottling. I expect the 2014 will blossom with time in bottle."
ROBERT PARKER 94+ POINTS - "A limited production cuvee (175 cases), the 2014 Mythicus is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. Deep, rich and silky, with soft tannins but, surprisingly, not the depth of the Proprietary Red, this is still an outstanding wine, made in an elegant style with plenty of silky tannins as well as lots of blackcurrants, licorice, cedar and spice box. This medium to full-bodied wine should drink nicely for the next 15 or more years."
- Item #: i_208830Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 96ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "As it often is, the 2014 St. Eden is a showy, racy wine. A rush of dark red cherry, plum, mocha, espresso and grilled herbs gives the wine its opulent, flamboyant feel. Even so the St. Eden shows the natural restraint and mid-weight structure of the year."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple in color, the 2014 St. Eden offers up expressive crème de cassis, black cherry compote and blueberry pie notes with hints of cedar chest, baking spices, menthol and pencil lead. Full-bodied, tightly packed, taut and muscular, it has a solid structure of firm, grainy tannins and lovely vivacity coming through on the long, earthy finish."
- Item #: i_208710Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98+Vinous Media: 97ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98+ POINTS - "The 2014 Vecina displays a deep garnet-purple color and has a broody, baked blueberries, cassis and anise-laced nose with suggestions of garrigue, dusty earth and bay leaves. Full-bodied, rich, spicy and powerful in the mouth, it offers a lot of latent layers and promises great, great things to come with an incredibly long, layered finish. It needs a bit of time but should cellar beautifully for a good 25 years+."
ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "One of the most expressive wines in this range, the 2014 Vecina is powerful, dense and explosive. Despite its obvious intensity, the 2014 has quite a bit of detail and nuance. Time in the glass unleashes the wine's natural intensity, volume and power. The huge, savory and mineral-drenched finish only adds to the wine's immeasurable beauty."
- Item #: i_204410Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+Vinous Media: 95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2014 Melbury is profoundly scented of crushed plums, black cherries and cassis with hints of dark chocolate, black pepper, black soil and licorice plus a hint of iron ore. Full-bodied, rich and earthy in the mouth, it has a lovely fine-grained but firm backbone with plenty of freshness, finishing long and peppery."
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2014 Melbury is bright, perfumed and wonderfully lifted in the glass. Soft, silky tannins add to the wine's considerable appeal. Medium in body and gracious, the 2014 is absolutely exquisite today. Sweet red cherry, plum, rose petal and mint grace the supple finish. This is a super-refined wine from BOND."
- Item #: i_204440Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 96+ANTONIO GALLONI 96+ POINTS - "The 2014 Quella is showing beautifully. Floral and savory overtones give the wine its energy and tension. The 2014 has really come along over the last six months. Today it is vibrant and full of life, with an understated sense of power that is compelling. The 2014 has developed very nicely since I last tasted it, but it still has room to grow."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2014 Quella is scented of blackberry preserves, fruitcake and crushed rocks with hints of cigar box, dried Provence herbs and Indian spices. Medium to full-bodied, it has a firm backbone of grainy tannins and great freshness lifting the black fruit and earth layers, finishing on a lingering mineral note."
- Item #: i_204500Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97+Vinous Media: 97ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97+ POINTS - "Very deep purple-black colored, the 2014 Pluribus offers up notions of crushed black plums, black currant cordial and pencil shavings over a meaty core of chargrill and beef drippings plus hints of Chinese five spice and underbrush. Full-bodied and firmly framed with chewy tannins and a lively backbone, it features plenty of earthy and savory layers, finishing long and minerally."
ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "The 2014 Pluribus is stellar. Once again, I am deeply impressed with the Pluribus. Inky blue/purplish fruit, lavender, mint, plum and licorice infuse this super-expressive, resonant Spring Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon. Pluribus is the most improved Bond wine. This flight of 2014 makes that quite evident."
- Item #: i_208505Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 92+ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon is deep, powerful and intense. Wild cherry, underbrush, gravel, savory herbs, smoke and earthy notes give the 2014 much of its potent, virile profile. There is plenty to look forward to as the 2014 develops in bottle. This is a lovely wine with classically inspired proportions and plenty of structure."
- Item #: i_214170Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+Vinous Media: 95+ANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - "The 2014 Maya is powerful, compact and closed in on itself. That's not much of a surprise given the wine was just bottled a few months ago. Dark, powerful and intense, the 2014 offers plenty of energy, but is also holding back much of its potential at this stage. The blend is 75% Cabernet Sauvignon and 25% Cabernet Franc, which is to say more Cabernet than has been the norm in recent years. There is plenty of intensity to the pomegranate, plum, red cherry and blood orange flavors, but the wine needs time to come into its own."
ROBERT PARKER 95+ POINTS - "...the 2014 Maya Proprietary Red may not be as perfect as the 2013 was, but it is a fabulous effort. Finishing at 14.6% alcohol, this wine (generally a blend of about 60% Cabernet Franc and the rest Cabernet Sauvignon) has incredibly gorgeous aromatics of black and blue fruits, forest floor, violets, and an almost Graves-like, scorched earth, gravelly nuance. The wine hits the palate with a full-bodied richness and terrific harmony among its structural elements such as alcohol, acidity, tannin and wood, with moderately sweet tannins in the finish. It is a good 30- to 35-year wine, as most Mayas have tended to be, and is impressive and surprisingly structured for a 2014. Forget it for 3-4 years and drink it over the following 35-40 years."
- Item #: i_200452Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Winemaker Nile Zacherle crafts some of the most elegant, polished Cabernets readers will taste on Pritchard Hill. As good as the wines are, they would almost certainly be even better if the estate took a few more risks. Today, the wines are almost always outstanding, but there may be an even higher level of quality that can be achieved here."
ROBERT PARKER 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Elevation 1147 has the darker, more spiced profile found in the Three Acre with the lift and freshness of the Old Vine. All the elements come together nicely in this super-expressive Pritchard Hill Cabernet Sauvignon. The 2015 is wonderfully dense and lush, and yet retains quite a bit of freshness."
- Item #: i_200470Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsThe David Arthur Estate is located high on Pritchard Hill, on the eastern side of the Napa Valley. The rough mountain terrain and rocky red soils provide ideal growing conditions for wine grapes such as Cabernet Sauvignon. In 1978, Donald Long and his 28 year old son David began the epic job of building roads, clearing land and finally planting wine grapes. Although David lacked a formal viticultural education, he learned hands-on by working in the vineyards and cellars of local wineries such as the Chappellet and Joseph Phelps. The first vintage of Chardonnay was harvested in 1985, followed by Cabernet Sauvignon in the nineties. A s his experience and knowledge of the land grew, David learned the ability of these hills to grow the very finest wine grapes. Today, with the help of a highly insightful team, David Arthur continues to cultivate rich concentrated wine grapes that in turn help them craft distinctive and memorable wines.
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Three Acre (there's a small amount of Petit Verdot in the blend) is a beautiful, refined example of Pritchard Hill Cabernet. Deep ruby-colored, with a mountain hillside-like bouquet of wild scrub brush, crushed rocks, tobacco, dried herbs and both blue and black fruits, it glides over the palate with medium to full-bodied richness, ultra-fine tannins, beautifully integrated acidity, and solid length. It's very much in the style of the 1147 release, but slightly less concentrated and majestic. Elegant, silky, and seamless, yet still with ample power, it's a brilliant 2016 geared for those that love the old-school, classic style of Napa Valley. It will keep for 2+ decades."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Composed of 96% Cabernet Sauvignon and 4% Petit Verdot, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Three Acre has a deep garnet-purple color and is beautifully perfumed of candied violets, Ceylong tea, underbrush and cigar box scents with a core of blackcurrant cordial, redcurrant jelly and black raspberries. Medium to full-bodied, elegantly styled and very polished on the palate, it has an exquisitely fine-grained texture and long harmonious finish."
- Item #: i_241510Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Vinous Media: 92Do you want to get a real glimpse into the characteristics and style of the 2009 vintage in Washington, then you don't need to look any further. Delille has been somewhat under the radar, but if the quality in this Merlot blend doesn't open your eyes, we don't know what will! "D2" is the main highway that runs through Bordeaux, so being that this is a Merlot-based blend (just like the right bank of Bordeaux), the name is apt. This year, the wine is a blend of 58% Merlot, 36% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Cabernet Franc, and 1% Petit Verdot.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "Very few Washington wineries can match DeLille for the way their wines combine sheer fruit intensity and structure. The current releases are wonderfully pliant and accessible, even if the best of them will last splendidly."
"(this Columbia Valley blend of nearly 20 sources represents 35% of this winery's production; 11,500 cases were made in 2014): Bright ruby. Pungent fruit-driven aromas of cranberry, pomegranate and blackberry. Plush and seamless on the palate, with blackberry and blueberry flavors complicated by a savory dried-berry note that I associate with Red Willow vineyard. Wonderfully pliant from the start, this beauty finishes very long and suave, with utterly smooth tannins. Great fruit here!"
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The ruby-colored 2014 D2 Proprietary Red Wine is the entry-level Bordeaux blend of the estate and is named after the D2 highway in Bordeaux. It's a soft, voluptuous, medium-bodied effort that offers loads of currants, black cherries, strawberries and leafy herb aromas and flavors. It's already hard to resist, yet there's quality tannin hiding under its fruit, and I suspect it will surprise you with its longevity."
- Item #: i_217620Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 93ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain has an incredibly evocative nose of creme de cassis, plum preserves and fresh wild blueberries with touches of chocolate mints, tilled soil, yeast extract, chargrill and scorched earth. Medium to full-bodied, it fills the mouth with fresh, crunchy black fruit, framed by firm, grainy tannins and seamless freshness, finishing long with bags of energy."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "Randy and Mike Dunn's 2014 Cabernets are very pretty wines, even if they are a bit laid back relative to the norm here. Call me old-fashioned, but I like the Dunn Cabernets, especially the Howell Mountain, when they have the explosive punch that makes them so distinctive relative to other Napa Valley Cabernets."
"Inky blue/purplish fruit, graphite, lavender, grilled herbs and smoke run through the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon (Howell Mountain). The 2014 has all the Dunn signatures in its flavor profile, but in the mid-weight style of the year. This is an especially restrained, young wine for Dunn with far less of the tannic heft that readers familiar with these wines are likely to expect."
- Item #: i_232240Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+Vinous Media: 92ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "Blended of 88% Cabernet Franc, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and 2% Petit Verdot, the deep garnet-purple colored 2014 El Alma de Jonata gives up notions of black plums, cassis and black cherries with suggestions of violets, cigar box, dusty soil and bay leaves. Medium-bodied, firm, taut and muscular in the mouth, it has ripe grainy tannins and plenty of coiled expression ready to spring with another two to three years in bottle."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2014 El Alma de Jonata is a powerful, dense wine that seems to reflect the intensity of the drought vintage. Chocolate, espresso and dark cherry make a strong first impression. Floral notes appear later, adding an attractive element of lift. Even so, this is an especially somber vintage for the Alma, Jonata's Cabernet Franc-based blend."
- Item #: i_274990Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Kathryn Hall gives up terrific complexity in its blackcurrant and black cherry fruits, tobacco leaf and cedary spice bouquet. This gives way to an elegant, silky, classic Cabernet Sauvignon that has impeccable balance, sensational purity of fruit, and a great finish."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple in color, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Kathryn Hall opens with intense creme de cassis, mulberries and plum preserves notions over hints of Chinese five spice, tapenade and smoky bacon, plus a touch of dried Provence herbs. Full-bodied, concentrated and powerfully fruited on the palate, it has a soft, inviting frame of fine-grained tannins and loads of spice and savory layers coming through on the long finish."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Kathryn Hall is a juicy, voluptuous wine. Super-ripe raspberry, mocha, new French oak, plum and spice are all pushed forward in this lush, racy Cabernet Sauvignon. All of the Hall house signatures come through beautifully. As always, the Kathryn Hall is one of the more inviting wines in this range. The Kathryn Hall is a blend of fruit from Sacrashe and Hall's vineyards on Diamond Mountain and Atlas Peak. A dollop (8%) of Merlot rounds out the blend."
- Item #: i_245270Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsThis is the personal label of Luc Morlet and his wife Jodie. Luc has made the wines at Newton Vineyards, where he cotinued to craft their highly-touted Unfiltered Chardonnay Unfiltered (a collector favorite). He then became the head winemaker for Peter Michael Winery and crafted their wines from the 2001-2005 vintages, where he made a 98-point Cabernet-blend and a 99-point Chardonnay!
The "Passionement" Cabernet Sauvignon comes from one of the best vineyards in Napa Valley's Oakville area. Dark purple in color, this has intense and complex bouquet of red, black and blue berries intermixed with notes of blueberries, Creme de Cassis, plum, cedar and a hint of cedar and cigar box. Full bodied, the palate is reminiscent of the nose, with a creamy texture and a great intensity. The luscious tannins, the intense aromatic complexity and its opulence create a flamboyant yet harmonious ensemble, leading to a very long, complex and smooth finish. This early charming and collectible wine represents the passionate, uncompromised and on-going pursuit of quality.
JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "I loved these latest releases from Luc Morlet and family, and they show a sensational mix of classic, balanced, even old-school, characters mixed with killer California fruit. As a whole, the 2014s show more elegance and complexity, with the 2015s possessing more power and richness. These are rockstar wines."
"The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Passionnement comes from a site in Oakville (there's a tiny portion from St. Helena) and is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. It offers a ripe, sweetly fruited, elegant, yet also powerful style that just glides over the palate with no sense of heaviness or coarseness. Revealing notes of creme de cassis, crushed flowers, graphite, and spice, this cuvee always shines for its seamless, elegant personality, yet it never lacks for density or richness."
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Passionnement, tasted from magnum, is plush, sensual and inviting. In 2014, the Passionnement is a bit restrained, but that is not necessarily a bad thing for this wine, which is a selection of the best barrels in the cellar. Bittersweet chocolate, lavender, graphite, spice and silky tannins add to the wine's considerable appeal."
ROBERT PARKER 95 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Passionnement is a relatively small cuvee of 250 cases from Oakville. Sweet tannin, a seamless entry on the palate, an opaque ruby/purple color and a big kiss of creme de cassis, blackberry, scorched earth and burning embers is followed by a wine with a long finish, moderate tannin and surprising intensity and power for a 2014. Drink it over the next 30 years."
- Item #: i_248740Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 92Jayson Pahlmeyer's eponymous wine is now regarded as one of the blue chip brands of the Napa Valley. How did he do it? Jayson began by wanting to create his own California rendition of Bordeaux's first growth Mouton Rothschild. He seeks out the best vineyards in Napa Valley, hires the best winemakers and cuts zero corners to ensure only the best wine made goes into this blend. Current winemaker Kale Anderson blends Cabernet Sauvignon with small parts of Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot from the Pahlmeyer Waters Ranch and the famed Stagecoach Vineyard.
ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "The 2016 Proprietary Red is fabulous, just as it was from bottle. Silky, supple and also quite structured on the palate, the 2016 is a stunningly beautiful, vivid wine. Dark cherry/plum jam, bittersweet chocolate, rose petal, lavender, spice and menthol build into the huge, unctuous finish. There is so much to like." ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "Composed of 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc, 4% Petit Verdot and 2% Malbec, the deep garnet-purple colored 2016 Proprietary Red Wine gives up bold notes of fresh blackcurrants, black cherries and wild blueberries with hints of cigar box, tilled soil, dried bay leaves and smoked meats plus a hint of lavender. Medium-bodied and fantastically intense in the mouth, it has a wonderful core of muscular fruit and a firm, ripe, fine-grained frame to match, finishing very long."
- Item #: i_230480Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Vinous Media: 91ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley) is gorgeous. Black cherry, plum, chocolate, and leather are all front and center in this lush, voluptuous Cabernet Sauvignon. Drink it over the next decade."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Very deep garnet-purple in color, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon (containing splashes of Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc) opens with expressive crushed plums, mulberries and cassis with touches of dark chocolate, baking spice and black soil. Medium to full-bodied, it fills the mouth with approachable, spicy black fruit, framed by grainy tannins and oodles of freshness, finishing long with a pleasant herbal lift. 5,899 cases were made."
- Item #: i_251390Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsFounded in 2003 by Washington State wine visionary Allen Shoup, the mindset behind the Long Shadows winery is quite simple; obtain the best grapes and get them into the hands of the best winemakers. However, easier said than done. Each of the Long Shadows wines have a different label, a different name, and a different winemaker. To make the best Merlot in Washington State, Allen Shoup employed the master of Merlot (Michel Rolland) and developed the Pedestal label. To get the best Cabernet Sauvignon, he brought on Randy Dunn and created the Feather Cabernet. And to make the best Washington State equal to Opus One or Joseph Phelps Insignia, he got Philippe Melka to create Pirouette, a Cabernet Sauvignon-driven blend!
Philippe Melka is a master of Cabernet Sauvignon and blends, and has crafted several wines that have earned 100 points from Robert Parker's Wine Advocate. He has been trained and influenced by some of the most notable personalities in the wine world, including Jean Delmas and Jean Philippe Masclef from Haut-Brion, Christian Moueix and Jean Claude Berrouet from Petrus, Paul Draper from Ridge, Daniel Baron from Silver Oak. For Pirouette, a variety of fermentation methods were used to enhance complexity and richness in this classic Bordeaux blend. Hand-harvested Cabernet was fermented in 400L French oak barrels that were gently rolled throughout fermentation to integrate the oak with refined, dark fruit flavors and give the wine its silky mouthfeel. All other varieties were fermented in traditional stainless steel tanks, with select lots enjoying longer skin contact to enhance the wine's dark color and mid-palate. The finished wine was aged 22 months in French oak barrels (75% new) before bottling unfiltered and unfined.
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The talented Gilles Nicault continues to manage this estate and all its different cuvées brilliantly. The key factor to understand with these wines is that each is made with consulting advice from a different winemaker. Hence, the style of each is unique, yet the quality is top notch."
"The 2016 Pirouette is made by Philippe Melka and it's a total blockbuster based on 68% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, and the palate Petit Verdot, Cabernet Franc, and Malbec that was fermented in barrel and aged 22 months in 75% new oak. Creme de cassis, blackberries, toasted spices, cedar, and forest floor notes all emerge from this deep, rich, opulent red that has sweet tannins, a thrilling texture, no hard edges, and a monster finish. This is another best-to-date from this estate and it's an awesome wine."
- Item #: i_249330Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsWhile on our annual winter trip to the Napa Valley in 2013, we were invited to the "kick off" for a new winery named Pulido-Walker, and the first of their three single-vineyard Cabernet Sauvignons. That wine was the single best wine we had on our entire trip!
Pulido-Walker is dedicated to the perfection of every element needed to craft exceptional single-vineyard designate Cabernet Sauvignon. Proprietors Mark Pulido and Donna Walker grew up in pharmacy families, and this early common experience is integral to the Pulido-Walker philosophy. Their scientific backgrounds make Mark and Donna precise, inquisitive, and detailed; they know that perseverance and attentive observation yield results worth waiting for. Few people have the commitment or the endurance—never mind the conviction of their principles—to completely reframe the experiment mid-stream.
Their winemaker is the highly sought-after Thomas Brown, who also crafts the high scoring and incredible wines at Schrader, Maybach, Outpost, and others. He has been in Napa since 1997, where he began his career at Turley Cellars and now makes wines for select premium labels. Over the last decade, Thomas has received not just one but eight 100-point Wine Advocate Parker scores to go along with two 100-point awards from Wine Spectator. Beyond generosity and roundness in tannins, his wines have few common traits and are very individual. Pulido~Walker's Cabernet Sauvignons promise to be among his most distinctive.
"What separates the best valley floor sites from good valley floor sites is their ability to drain," explains winemaker Thomas Rivers Brown. Panek Vineyard blankets a rocky, gently sloping knoll in the shadow of the Mayacamas Mountains along the old Napa River bed wash. The loamy soil, with its highly compacted alluvial deposits of gravel, provides optimal drainage. The valley basin is also more temperate than the hillsides surrounding St. Helena, making it ideal for slower ripening and full development of flavors. These elements coalesce in low yields of reliably superb fruit.
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Panek Vineyard comes from a site in St. Helena and offers a darker, savory style as well as plenty of blue fruits, violets, tobacco, and damp earth. With bright acidity, a silky, elegant texture, and terrific purity, it's a more vibrant, juicier, fresher wine than the Melanson Vineyard. Give bottle 2-4 years and drink over the following two decades."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Panek Vineyard is gorgeous. Bright red cherry, sweet tobacco, mint and rose petal notes give the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Panek Vineyard a level of brilliance that sets it apart from most other Cabernets being made off this site. Plush, elegant and sensual to its core, the 2016 is a winner from Pulido-Walker and winemaker Thomas Rivers Brown."
- Item #: i_253050Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsAbout 20 years ago, David Ramey was part of a select group of winemakers who became tired of "laboratory" or "squeaky clean" wines devoid of character. He wanted to bring terroir back into wines from California, and his success was the benefit of the consumer! David Ramey became known throughout the wine world as a winemaker associated with stellar quality, and he brought his expertise to brands such as Chalk Hill, Matanzas Creek, Dominus Estate, Rudd Estate, as well as his own brand. While the Ramey Chardonnays have been on the "center stage" for a few years, this release shows that his Cabernets can hang with some of the best in the Napa Valley...and at a MUCH lower price than others that sell for exponentially more!
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon is just as appealing today as it was last year. Supple, open-knit and expressive, the 2014 will drink well with minimal cellaring. Floral and savory notes add an attractive upper register in this mid-weight, juicy 2014. Bright red stone fruit, plum and savory notes abound on the finish. This is a gorgeous Napa Valley Cabernet from David Ramey that shows just how appealing 2014 can be."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley is classic Ramey Cabernet all the way. Blackberries, currants, scorched earth, and charcoal aromatics, medium to full body, great elegance, and notable concentration all make for a top notch 2014 that can be drunk today or cellared for 10-15 years. The blend is 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot, 6% Malbec, and 3% Petit Verdot, and it's made in decent enough quantities that it should be easy to find."
- Item #: i_242830Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+Vinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 96+ POINTS - "Mondavi's Cabernet Sauvignon The Reserve To Kalon Vineyard is fabulous. Rich, powerful and voluptuous, the 2015 oozes with class from the very first taste. The flavors are deep, dark and boldly sketched in this sumptuous, beautifully resonant Cabernet. The tannins will need time to soften, but I can't imagine readers opening bottles anytime soon. The 2015 Reserve is one of the very finest wines I have tasted from Robert Mondavi Winery."
ROBERT PARKER 96+ POINTS - "Composed of 92% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Merlot, 2% Petit Verdot and 2% Cabernet Franc, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon To Kalon Reserve features a deep garnet-purple color and wonderfully expressive nose of creme de cassis, preserved plums and black forest cake with hints of cigar boxes, aniseed, dark chocolate and forest floor. Full-bodied, rich and concentrated in the mouth, the ripe, opulent black fruit is well supported by velvety tannins and plenty of freshness, finishing long and spicy."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "A blend of 92% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Merlot, 2% Petite Verdot, and 2% Cabernet Franc, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon The Reserve To Kalon Vineyard is about as perfumed, upfront and sexy as they come. Sporting a ruby/plum color and a terrific bouquet of black raspberries, cedary spice, toasty oak, flowers and incense, it hits the palate with loads of sweet fruit, an undeniable opulence, ripe tannin and a great finish. It's an approachable 2015 that's going to evolve gracefully for another two decades."
- Item #: i_262750Bottle Size: 375mlWine Advocate: 96+Vinous Media: 96**Please note, this is a half sized bottleROBERT PARKER 96+ POINTS - "This first-growth estate in St. Helena has produced a 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon that is a blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc and 5% Petit Verdot. It is certainly one of the wines of the vintage. Gorgeously opaque purple, it offers up notes of spring flowers, blueberries, blackcurrants, some baking spice and graphite. It is full-bodied, concentrated and rich, with layers of fruit. The wine builds and builds on the palate, with a great finish of 45+ seconds. This is a sensational 2014 to drink over the next 20+ years."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Spottswoode 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon is striking. Black cherry, plum, graphite, spice and menthol are some of the signatures. Intensely mineral and savory, the 2014 comes across as a slightly restrained version of the 2013. The flavor and tannin profiles are both quite similar, but the 2014 is a bit smaller-scaled in all of its dimensions. That is not a bad thing, as the 2014 will be ready to drink sooner. This is an impressive showing."
- Item #: i_265200Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99Vinous Media: 96It was nearly 40 years ago when Stags Leap Wine Cellars won the famed Paris Tasting of 1976 and help to skyrocket Napa Valley Cabernets to stardom across the world! Flash forward to today, and you will find that this "blue chip" producer is not resting on its laurels. No, they are still pushing to put every little bit of complexity, nuance, and finesse into their Cabernet Sauvignons that they possibly can. Combine this with Napa's highly-praised and eagerly-anticipated 2013 vintage, and you've got some amazing wines!
The signature style for Stags Leap Wine Cellars has often been described as "an iron fist in a velvet glove," a reference to the artful balance-between ripeness and restraint, softness and structure—that yields wines of exceptional beauty and long life. Achieving that style requires a level of attention to detail found only among the world's most dedicated wine producers. In addition, Stags Leap picks in small lots to maintain the identity of the vineyards, age the wine exclusively in French oak, and their vineyard team works carefully on a vine-by-vine basis, rather than the more typical agricultural approach where farming decisions are made on a field basis. In addition, Stags Leap Wine Cellars focuses on sustainable farming, even receiving "Napa Green Certified Land" certification for their three estate vineyards, and "Napa Green Certified Winery" for the winery. Napa Green is the wine industry's most comprehensive "best practices" in land-use and wine production.
ROBERT PARKER 99 POINTS - "The 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Cask 23 ratchets up the level of complexity, richness and density. Magnificent floral notes intermix with blueberry, blackberry and cassis, and there is no hint of new oak. A full-bodied opulence on the palate, great purity and personality make for a prodigious example of Cabernet Sauvignon to drink over the next 30+ years. Kudos to Stags Leap Wine Cellars."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "New owner Chateau Ste. Michelle, along with minority partner Antinori, has done a magnificent job with these 2013s. In fact, the wines are so brilliant and such a significant departure from the past that I tasted through the range twice. New winemaker Marcus Notaro has introduced a more contemporary, fruit-driven style at Stag's Leap. More importantly, these 2013s show none of the flaws that marred some wines in the past. Needless to say, it will be fascinating to see where things go, but one thing is clear; the three flagship Cabernets are all fabulous."
"The 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon CASK 23 is another total knock-out from Stag's Leap Wine Cellars. Sculpted and nuanced, the 2013 presents a striking melange of typical Stags Leap notes. Violets, lavender, mint, cloves, graphite and dark spice are some of the signatures in a Cabernet that achieves a compelling balance of power, finesse and overall intensity. This tightly coiled Cabernet is going to need a few years to fully come together, but it is terrific and a great example of what Stags Leap Cabernets are all about."