- Item #: i_206720Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Blackbird Vineyards has provided quietly fruit to many of Napa's finest wineries: Lail, Pride, and Viader. Mia Klein, formerly at Dalla Valle, created a vineyard-designate for her highly acclaimed 1999 Selene Merlot. Three of the top critics (Parker, Tanzer and Wine Spectator), scored their first release in the 90s. Blackbird continues to provide fruit to such winemakers as Bob Foley (Robert Foley, Hourglass).
The Blackbird wines are crafted by Aaron Pott, a winemaker who has a one-of-a-kind pedigree and produces several highly sought-after wines. The grapes for the Arise bottling come brom Blackbird's own vineyards in the Oak Knoll District, augmented with fruit from Hudson Vineyard in Carneros, Stagecoach Vineyard in the Vaca Mountains, and Crocker and Starr Vineyard.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Arise Proprietary Red is a blend of 55% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Franc, 17% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Petit Verdot. It has a deep garnet-purple color and opens with fragrant black cherries, black raspberries and warm plums scents with hints of underbrush, dried herbs, raspberry leaves and spice box. Medium-bodied and elegantly styled in the mouth, the palate has great vivacity with a grainy texture and long, lively finish."
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Arise is a very pretty wine. Lifted and floral, with lovely brightness from the Cabernet Franc in the blend, the 2016 is super-expressive today. Bright red cherry, rose petal and mint notes add freshness to this attractive, mid-weight red from Blackbird."
- Item #: i_241510Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90Do you want to get a real glimpse into the characteristics and style of the 2009 vintage in Washington, then you don't need to look any further. Delille has been somewhat under the radar, but if the quality in this Merlot blend doesn't open your eyes, we don't know what will! "D2" is the main highway that runs through Bordeaux, so being that this is a Merlot-based blend (just like the right bank of Bordeaux), the name is apt. This year, the wine is a blend of 58% Merlot, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Cabernet Franc, and 1% Petit Verdot.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "(a blend of about 60 lots from 13,500 vines, according to Jason Gorski): Bright, dark red with ruby highlights. Aromas of cassis and licorice hint at a dried-berry character. Impressively concentrated for such a large blend, offering a fine-grained texture and noteworthy inner-mouth floral lift. Boasts plush, sweet dark fruit and spice flavors, with a repeating element of very ripe berries. Suggests a wider range of fruit ripeness than most of the other DeLille reds but very successful for such a disparate blend. The long finish features substantial ripe, broad tannins."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Exhibiting aromas of loamy soil, crushed currants and creamy new oak, the 2015 D2 Proprietary Red Wine is medium-bodied, chewy and rustic, with a good core of juicy fruit but a firm, somewhat drying finish that seems to be marked by tannins derived from its time in 55% new oak but which could also simply reflect the vintage. It's a blend of 58% Merlot, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Cabernet Franc and 1% Petit Verdot."
- Item #: i_227151Bottle Size: 750MLThis is a Cabernet lover's Merlot! With wonderfully complex aromas of cherry, cedar, cocoa powder and a hint of tea leaves, this wine’s firm tannins and food-friendly acidity make it the perfect partner with a variety of hearty meals.
- Item #: i_233980Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Keenan Winery is located in Spring Mountain District, high in the Mayacamas mountain range above the town of Saint Helena. Eleven acres of Merlot vines have been planted in the rocky soils surrounding the winery, and it is these vines that produce some of the finest Merlot in Napa. The vineyards are situated above the dense layer of fog that creeps up the Napa Valley most evenings. Consequently the vines warm up earlier in the morning and stay warm through the night. The combination of warm temperatures, steep hillside vine rows and gravelly soils promotes more stress on the vines leading to increased intensity in the finished wine.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Medium garnet-purple in color and composed of 100% Merlot, the 2015 Merlot offers a plums, blackberries and dried flowers-scented nose with touches of mossy bark and garrigue. Showing good expression in the medium-bodied mouth with plenty of plumy fruit, it finishes long and spicy."
- Item #: i_276550Bottle Size: 750MLMiner Family Vineyards is a dynamic family-owned winery tucked into the eastern hills of the Oakville appellation, squarely within the heart of Napa Valley. Founded by Dave and Emily Miner along with his folks Ed and Norma, Miner is defined first and foremost by a sensational portfolio of wines, wines consistently characterized by and committed to individualistic style and uncommon quality.
This commitment to the production of fine wines led the Miners to the Krupp Brothers of Stagecoach Vineyards. The Stagecoach vineyard surely must be one of the most ambitious vineyard developments to date. Situated upon and named for an 1800s stagecoach trail, this 800-acre vineyard was laboriously carved from enormous rocks and boulders high atop the eastern hills of Napa Valley. At nearly 1500 feet above the Valley floor and nearly straddling the Oakville Ranch property, this vineyard has quickly caught fire with winemakers searching for grapes of uncommonly deep and profoundly complex nature. Terrior-driven, the meticulously farmed blocks are hand-picked according to Miner's winemaker Gary Brookman's specifications.
Loaded with rich ripe fruit and spice notes with touches of toasty oak, this Merlot has a nice firm grip from fine tannins boasting a huge lengthy finish uncommon in many Merlots made today. Enjoy now or you can tuck this away in the cellar for a few years!
- Item #: i_249790Bottle Size: 750MLPeju's 2016 Merlot is spectacular, offering up fragrant, layered aromas of juicy pomegranate, baking spice, and a hint of cedar. Lush fruits of cherry and blackberry envelop the palate. Soft hints of toasted almond and vanilla culminate with an elegant finish. Delicious now, this Merlot will continue to mature for the next 6-8 years.
- Item #: i_248410Bottle Size: 750mlThe only thing really changing at Prisoner Wine Company is their level of awesomeness! In fact, these wines still continue to receive the same scores that were awarded at the inception of Prisoner! Since that time, they produced two new wines; the Cuttings Cabernet-Blend and Blindfold White. These wines are following suit, and have come some of our better sellers at their respective pricepoints. Jen Beloz is Prisoner's winemaker, and she worked with Dave Phinney to keep the "house style". So…Prisoner wines are still rockin'!
Based on the success of their newer bottlings, we have been very eager to get our hands on the Thorn Merlot. There are a few vineyards in Napa Valley that are so amazing, they only go to wineries that will do the fruit justice. Whenever we see these vineyard sources, we know there's something delicious in the bottle! Prisoner's Thorn is comprised from fruit from a few of these vineyards; family-owned vineyards of varying ages and soils, lending to the layers of character and complexity. These vineyards are Hudson, Stagecoach, Antica, and Trefethen; these vineyards also sell fruit to other notable wineries, such as Arietta, Kongsgaard, Lewis, Pahlmeyer, and Paul Hobbs!
Aromas of savory spice, black cherry, and mocha with cedar and blackberry. The entry delivers an elegant balance with flavors of black plum and anise, along with hints of grilled rosemary and toasted oak. Velvety, chocolate tannins develop into a robust finish. Bravo Prisoner…keep sending us more wines like this!
- Item #: i_256675Bottle Size: 375mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 Points**Please note, this is a half sized bottleJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The 2014 Merlot kicks off the Bordeaux varieties with a bang and offers full-bodied, ripe, sexy aromas and flavors of black cherries, chocolate, graphite, and spice. A wine that builds with time in the glass, it has no hard edges, terrific purity, and a great finish. Drink it over the coming decade."
- Item #: i_256660Bottle Size: 750mlThe Griffin – the Foley family crest in Irish heraldry combines the strengths of the lion, king of beasts, with the eagle, king of the skies – is a fitting representation of our signature red blend. A winemaker's dream is to be artistically free to combine characters into wine that is purely hedonic and non-compliant with varietal regulations, so The Griffin's blend changes with every vintage.
A blend of 28% Merlot, 19% Petite Sirah, 14% Charbono, 12% Malbec, 11% Syrah, 10% Petit Verdot, and 6% Cabernet Sauvignon, this vibrantly youthful red blend offers aromas and flavors that evenly coat the palate and linger long in the finish. Gently gripping tannins carry a hint of espresso character. A delicious blend of bright fruit flavors. Delicious in its youth, this red blend combines the stuffing and balance to age elegantly for many, many years.
- Item #: i_265450Bottle Size: 750mlApproachable and rich, the 2014 Stewart Napa Valley Merlot boasts a bouquet of rose petals and milk chocolate which leads into a palate of lush cherry, plum, and wild raspberry. It has nicely balanced acidity and tannins giving a long, soft finish. The wine’s luxurious and refined texture make it wonderful to pair with food.
- Item #: i_268135Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottle- "Dense and a touch brooding, with plenty of sanguinity to the powerful dark plum, black currant and dried blackberry flavors. Hints of mint and cream show on the suave finish. Drink now through 2022."
- Item #: i_268860Bottle Size: 750MLBecause Merlot flourishes in relatively cool growing regions with moist soils, it's extremely well-suited to the ancient alluvial loams, temperate climate, and long growing season of the Trefethen family's estate vineyard in the Oak Knoll District of Napa Valley, a sweet spot between Napa's warmer up-valley regions and its cool southern tip.
Trefethen's Merlot delights from the start with a lovely nose of dark cherry and plum. The aroma gives way to savory notes of black pepper, mushrooms and chocolate. The wine is lush and silky tannins back up a full, strong palate with great structure through the end.