Zinfandel (also known as Primitivo) is a variety of black-skinned wine grape. DNA fingerprinting has revealed that it is genetically equivalent to the Croatian grape Crljenac, as well as to the Primitivo variety traditionally grown in Apulia (the "heel" of Italy), where it was introduced in the 18th century. The grape found its way to the United States in the mid-19th century, where it became known by variations of the name "Zinfandel". The grapes typically produce a robust red wine. The grape's high sugar content can be fermented into levels of alcohol exceeding 15 percent. The taste of the red wine depends on the ripeness of the grapes from which it is made. Red berry fruit flavors like raspberry predominate in wines from cooler areas, whereas blackberry, anise and pepper notes are more common in wines made in warmer areas and in wines made from the earlier-ripening Primitivo clone.
- Item #: i_277760Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Dark and brooding, with black cherry and bittersweet chocolate aromas and plump flavors of orange zest, black licorice and smoky cracked pepper. Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Alicante Bouschet, Cabernet Sauvignon, Carignane and Viognier. Drink now through 2027."
- Item #: i_244250Bottle Size: 750mlIn the glass, the nose is dominated by cocoa, tobacco, and dried cherry. The woodsy, briary character of old vine Zinfandel is quite prominent but with time unmasks beautiful notes of lavender, cassis, and fresh mint. Fresh cranberry, a hallmark of the Primitivo in the blend, mingles with roasted walnut notes and subtle hints of cinnamon and clove on the palate. The supple tannins are present throughout and amble between earthiness and minerality. The transition to the finish is decidedly old world in style, with dark chocolate, cigar box, and a garrigue character that's rare for American wine. Chefs take note.
- Item #: i_215400Bottle Size: 750mlCoup de Grace, exactly what Freelance Wines wanted to showcase, an expressive wine done in a truly original style, with no boundaries and no set direction except for the thought of crafting a red blend that stands alone. A blend of Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc the fruit is sourced from vineyards in three key growing regions throughout Northern California; Lodi, Russian River Valley, and Atlas Peak.
The wine is 100% barrel aged for 18 months; barreled down after settling from primary fermentation the wines go through Malolactic fermentation in barrel, adding to the wines weighty mouth-feel. The wines are aged separately and then the final blend is created after the individual lots have independently aged and matured.
Dark in the glass, the wine fades from a deep red/purple, almost black at it's inner core to a bright pomegranate rim. On the nose bright red berry, fig, licorice, sage and oak accents. The wine is rich and full of character with blackberry, licorice, spice and earth notes intertwined with soft oak flavors.
- Item #: i_227060Bottle Size: 750mlThis Zinfandel is co-fermented with a touch of Petite Sirah to add complexity and structure and then aged in large oak casks so the flavors are well integrated but not overwhelmed by oak. It displays pure Zinfandel flavors of strawberries, raspberries and a hint of dried sage. Grapes for this wine are grown at Grgich Hills’ vineyard in Calistoga, which is certified organic and Biodynamic®. Nestled in the northern tip of Napa Valley, the vineyard’s gravelly loam provides excellent drainage and the cloudless days and cool nighttime temperatures are perfect for sun-loving Zinfandel. The vines are head pruned to protect the grapes from sunburn. All of these features combine to produce concentrated, complex flavors in the wine.
- Item #: i_253650Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92The Mount Peak story begins more than a century ago at the celebrated Monte Rosso Vineyard (one of the truly great vineyards in Sonoma County) and culminates with the revival of Mount Peak Winery, a vistige of one of California's ghost wineries. These wines are inspired by this great place, and the new owners pay tribute to the extraordinary winery that once stood there by capturing its enduring spirit in the wine.
Rattlesnake Zinfandel is tribute to the crest called Rattlesnake Hill, the highest point of the Monte Rosso Vineyard and a site famous for rattlesnakes living among the vines. During the day, the snakes seek the abundant sunshine and in the evening, the coil inside and around the vines. This Zinfandel is fulled with an alluring mouthwatering quality with robust flavors that includes rupe blueberries, blackberries, cherry jam and fig all tied together by a brambly undertone. Accents of white pepper, licorice, and smoke weave through the wine, deepening throughout the luscious finish.
ROBERT PARKER 92 POINTS - "The Mount Peak Winery is named after the original ghost winery that was on the Monte Rosso property, now owned by the Gallo family. The three wines I tasted are super-impressive, powerful, rich and concentrated."
"Take, for example, the 2014 Zinfandel Rattlesnake, a blend of 96% Zinfandel and 4% Petite Sirah with 85% from the Monte Rosso Vineyard and the balance from other Gallo vineyards. It is aged in all French oak, of which 23% is new. A whopper at 16% natural alcohol, the wine has classic Zinfandel characteristics of Provencal spices, roasted herbs, pepper and oodles of briary black raspberry and black cherry fruit. It cuts a big swath across the palate with loads of glycerin and an unctuous, thick, juicy quality that is provocative. The wine is rich, ripe and ideal for drinking over the next 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_238930Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2014 Liar’s Dice is as juicy as ever! The soft tannins invite ripe, yet fresh flavors of black raspberry, black cherry, and blackberry jam. This is created to be a second glass Zin! If you have one, you are certain to have a second. Baby back pork ribs, slow smoked for hours, are always a hit with the Liar’s Dice Zin, although it’s hard not to have a winning pair with just about anything coming off the grill or smoker.
- Item #: i_257910Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90This wine is from Sonoma County sub-region and Dry Creek Valley appellation. Ginos Vineyard is a five-acre parcel in the rocky hillsides on the eastern bench of the valley. The vineyard was planted to Zinfandel about 25 years ago and produces quintessential Dry Creek Zin style wines with lots of brownginger spices and juicy raspberry and cherry fruit.
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "A gutsy version, with bold blackberry and licorice aromas and plump black cherry, briary sage and pepper flavors. Drink now through 2022. 2,059 cases made."
- Item #: i_266970Bottle Size: 750MLThis is Storybook's primary estate wine from 100% Napa Valley organically grown estate grapes,. Here you will find all the richness and fruit for which Zinfandel is famous, plus the depth and structure associated with Napa hillside vineyards, and the balance for which Storybook wines are known. Crafted to be enjoyed on release, the wine's notable depth and balance will continue its appeal well into the future.
- Item #: i_276638Bottle Size: 750MLDeep, dark, intense, ruby color. Rich fruit berry aroma with spice. Intense raspberry and black cherry with a thick velvety texture. Full and jammy, with hints of spice and pepper on the finish.