Zinfandel (also known as Primitivo) is a variety of black-skinned wine grape. DNA fingerprinting has revealed that it is genetically equivalent to the Croatian grape Crljenac, as well as to the Primitivo variety traditionally grown in Apulia (the "heel" of Italy), where it was introduced in the 18th century. The grape found its way to the United States in the mid-19th century, where it became known by variations of the name "Zinfandel". The grapes typically produce a robust red wine. The grape's high sugar content can be fermented into levels of alcohol exceeding 15 percent. The taste of the red wine depends on the ripeness of the grapes from which it is made. Red berry fruit flavors like raspberry predominate in wines from cooler areas, whereas blackberry, anise and pepper notes are more common in wines made in warmer areas and in wines made from the earlier-ripening Primitivo clone.
- Item #: i_211210Bottle Size: 750mlWe have been looking for a delicious Zinfandel at this price point for some time, and we think we've found a winner! Ancient Peaks sits in the Paso Robles appellation, 22 miles south of the city of Paso Robles and just 14 miles from the Pacific Ocean. Here, the surrounding peaks of the Santa Lucia Mountain Range act as a gateway between the ocean-cooled environs below the grade and the warmer climes above the grade. When the days heat up in the areas north and east of Margarita Vineyard, the air rises to create a vacuum that pulls marine breezes and fog inland over the peaks, and right through the vineyard. This means the fruit gets ripe, without any "off" flavors, yet the cooling afternoon breezes help the resulting wine to retain freshness and acidity.
Ancient Peaks' 2017 Zinfandel presents bright boysenberry aromas with hints of sandalwood and vanilla. A juicy, jammy texture is loaded with generous flavors of wild raspberry, black cherry, plum, mocha and cedar. Spicy black pepper notes join mouthwatering acidity on a beautifully balanced finish.
- Item #: i_205540Bottle Size: 750mlHead-trained and dry farmed vines continue to be the source for Bogle's Old Vine Zinfandel. These gnarly old vines produce concentrated fruit of unsurpassed quality and intensity. This full-bodied vintage shows itself with rich black raspberry notes that round out in the mouth, accompanied by the scents of summer fruit jam bubbling on the stove. Juniper berry and cinnamon stick join the spiciness of red and black peppercorns as they integrate with the supple fruit and lead toward the finish. Toasty oak and cloves are the perfect finishing touch.
- Item #: i_206620Bottle Size: 750MLIn 1980 when the Brown family stumbled upon their now renowned property in the Chiles Valley sub-appellation of the Napa Valley, it was but a ghost ranch up the hill east of Rutherford. Five years later they planted vineyards and for a decade they farmed and sold wine grapes. In 1995 the second generation, encouraged by growing demand for their fruit, established the Brown Estate label and began making their own wines.
Brown's flagship Napa Valley Zinfandel historically has borne the responsibility of being the ultimate representative of what their property and its unique microclimate have to offer — the cream of the Brown Estate zinfandel crop blended into one stellar wine. Rich magenta hue in the glass. Nose opens with abundant floral notes of hibiscus, dried rose petals, and violet followed by fruit notes of black plum, blackberry, and dried orange peels. Nose finishes with fresh cut wood/sawdust, fir balsam, and a hint of tangy soy/umami. Medium-plus palate layered with bramble fruit up front, leading into dried herbs, exotic spices, and dusty earth. Long finish with well-balanced acid and tannins. Drink now through 2028.
- Item #: i_207420Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsCarlisle's not-quite-so annual QPR champ is back! Using some wonderful century-old Russian River Valley Zin not far from Limerick Lane and some relatively young, 64-year-old Zinfandel from Alexander Valley as a base, Carlisle stole bits and pieces of our Rossi, DuPratt, and Dry Creek Zins along with a little Petite Sirah from Two Acres to create this delicious over-achiever. Bottled unfined and unfiltered.
Tasting Note: Medium to medium-dark ruby-garnet. Intense aromas of red cherries, clove, and a pleasing earthy note. Medium-bodied, flavors of cherry and baking spices build to a gently tannic finish. Given its price point, one might conclude that this wine is meant for early consumption. Not necessarily so! While it can certainly be enjoyed now, this wine has plenty of structure to age and develop gracefully. Hence, we’d recommend giving it another year or two in bottle and then enjoying through 2028.
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "While it was a difficult vintage for Zinfandel due to the heat, you wouldn't know that by tasting these Zinfandels from Carlisle. The 2017 Zinfandel Sonoma County offers a beautiful sense of elegance and purity as well as pretty cherry fruits, violets, flowers, and spice. It's not a heavyweight yet shines for its seamless texture, integrated acidity, and a great finish. It's a steal at the price."
ANTONIO GALLONI 90-93 POINTS - "The 2017 Zinfandel (Sonoma County) is pliant and super-expressive, not to mention incredibly delicious. A beam of bright acids gives the wine energy and a surprising amount of vitality as well. Medium in body and supremely gracious, the Sonoma Zinfandel over-delivers big time. The Sonoma County is built on a core of fruit from the Russian River Valley and Alexander Valley, plus touches of Rossi, Du Pratt and Dry Creek Zinfandels and drops of Two Acres Petite Sirah. More importantly, the 2017 is an absolutely gorgeous wine. It's as simple as that."
- Item #: i_219600Bottle Size: 750mlWinery Notes: "79% Zinfandel, 11% Petite Sirah, 6% Syrah, 4% Grenache. Lucky boxcars with this Zinfandel-dominated blend, which tumbles out on the tongue with dark cherries, fresh, ripe strawberries, a double dip of chocolate and vanilla, and the cool grip of moto jacket (aka leather). Paradise awaits. "
- Item #: i_209561Bottle Size: 750mlCharlie II is the eldest of the fifth-generation of Napa Valley Wagners, and he oversees production for Mer Soleil, Silver, and Conundrum Red wines. He recalls seeing his grandfather blend wines based on taste rather than tradition, and those wines turned out delicious, and in developing the Conundrum red wine, Charlie II took his grandfather's approach. Deep garnet in color, the nose is floral with tones of lavender mixed with rich notes of dried berries, baking chocolate, and bacon. The palate is silky and round on the entry with acid to balance the high fruit concentration. This is a fruit forward wine, yet still has a good core of tannin to give the wine structure.
- Item #: i_216790Bottle Size: 750MLThis enticing Sonoma County wine highlights a bright red-fruit and spice expression of Zinfandel. The aromas are ripe and appealing, offering layers of strawberry jam, raspberry and sweet vanilla, as well as hints of chocolate-covered cherries and white pepper. On the palate, the entry is full and balanced with lovely cranberry notes supported by the subtle influence of fine oak.
- Item #: i_276094Bottle Size: 750mlEberle's 2017 Zinfandel has a palate and nose that is filled with rich blackberry, ripe raspberry and vivid strawberry combined with spices of black pepper, clove, and cinnamon. A mediumbodied wine that is well-balanced and embodies true varietal characteristics. This wine often surprises those expecting a big and bold Zinfandel, as our version shows restraint and balance bringing forth how elegant a Zinfandel can be.
- Item #: i_223290Bottle Size: 750MLThis Napa Valley Zinfandel has a deep scarlet hue. On the nose, the wine has a savory quality of pepper, leather, brambly fruit and dried orange rind. This vibrant, medium-bodied Zinfandel has a silky and enveloping mouthfeel, offering abundant notes of red raspberries and dark berries, and a long, layered finish.
- Item #: i_226340Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The 2017 Red Disciples is a Zinfandel-based blend made from a core of fruit from the Morisoli and Tofanelli vineyards in Rutherford and Calistoga, respectively. Pliant, silky and super-expressive, the 2017 is flat-out gorgeous. Bright red cherry, red plum and floral notes all add character to this lifted, gracious wine. "
- Item #: i_226620Bottle Size: 750mlA zesty blend from their three mountain vineyards at 1,000 to 1,700 ft overlooking Chiles Canyon. Dark cherry and raspberry flavors with tinges of bay leaf and clove. Accompanies wood grilled vegetables and marbled meats.
- Item #: i_229970Bottle Size: 750mlLocated in the Coastal Ranges of northeastern Lake County, the High Valley AVA rises between 1,600 and 3,000 feet in elevation, providing Shannon Ridge the finest mountain fruit for their High Valley label. The North facing slope of Round Mountain allows for longer hangtime while the South facing slope of Morine aids in the development of rich flavors.
- Item #: i_200008Bottle Size: EACHGREAT NEWS SAM SEBASTIANI IS BACK IN THE WINE BUSINESS!
La Chertosa is named for the magnificent 14th century Renaissance monastery in the Tuscan valley of Farneta, Italy where the Sam Sebastiani ancestral roots began.At the 2014 California State Fair,Sam won "Double Gold" - Best Micro Red Award and Best of CLASS Region for his 2012 La Cheriosa resrve Amador County Zinfandel,and his 2012.
- Item #: i_277828Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 96 POINTS - "Bright purple. Highly expressive aromas of mineral-tinged dark berry preserves, incense and candied licorice are complicated by a sexy floral nuance. Smoky and seamless in texture, offering alluringly sweet black and blue fruit, spicecake and floral pastille flavors braced by a spine of juicy acidity. Finishes with outstanding clarity, mounting tannins and floral-dominated tenacity, leaving blue fruit and exotic spice notes behind."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "The Zinfandel-dominated 2017 Problem Child (there's 19% Syrah, 14% Graciano, and 3% Carignan) has a classic Zinfandel nose of spice red and black fruits, brambly herbs, cigar tobacco, and Asian spices. Ripe, full-bodied, and incredibly polished, it has sweet tannins, no hard edges, lots of richness and depth, and a great finish."
- Item #: i_239980Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Medium ruby-purple, the 2017 Zinfandel Giuseppe and Luisa has a wonderful nose of yellow peach preserves, apricot, boysenberry jam, cinnamon stick and warm black fruits—there are loads of fruity and spicy layers here. In the mouth, it's medium to full-bodied with intense tricolored fruits, firm, grainy tannins and very juicy acidity, finishing long and peachy. This is just what Zinfandel should be! 966 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "One of the many standouts in this range, the 2017 Zinfandel Giuseppe and Luisa is fabulous. The purity of the flavors is remarkable. Bright red cherry, blood orange, mint and wild flowers are all beautifully delineated in a racy, textured Zinfandel that delivers the goods big time. All the elements meld together effortlessly.'
- Item #: i_249101Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of 48% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Petite Verdot, 12% Zinfandel, 8% Petite Sirah, 8% Syrah, 6% Tempranillo, and 3% Merlot, this rich, luxurious and complex wine begins with alluring aromas of ripe cherry, red currant, cranberry and blueberry, along with sophisticated notes of sandalwood, clove, anise and black tea. On the palate, smooth, silky tannins underscore the lush black cherry and currant flavors, with hints of chocolate, spice and cracked pepper adding depth and nuance to the long, flowing finish.
- Item #: i_249060Bottle Size: 750mlPatrick McNeil found Paydirt in the western hillsides of Paso Robles and in winemaker McPrice Myers. Patrick and McPrice focus on the cooler sites of Paso Robles, where California's greatest daily shift in temperature and limestone-rich soils provide the ideal environment for extremely rich and balanced zinfandels.
A blend of 84% Zinfandel, 6% Syrah, 4% Grenache, 3% Mourvedre, and 3% Petite Sirah, the nose is filled with ripe blackberries, plum, sweet tobacco, dark chocolate, and cranberry relish. The palate is densely packed with ripe berries, brown spice, sweet Cuban coffee, and chalky minerality. The finish is persistent, layered and vibrant, with a nice touch of spice.
- Item #: i_249710Bottle Size: 750MLPedroncelli's Mother Clone is a classic Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel with fragrant aromas of ripe berry and black plum with a touch of black pepper spice. Concentrated blackberry and fig flavors are framed by subtle toasted oak with a dusty-spicy finish. Well integrated flavors with round tannins and bright acidity are a hallmark of the Pedroncelli style. Enjoy now or cellar for three to five years.
- Item #: i_254620Bottle Size: 750MLRidge has made the Geyserville as a single-site Zinfandel in every year since 1966. The grapes are grown in three adjoining vineyards on a defined stretch of gravelly soil approximately one-and-a-quarter miles long and a half-mile wide.
A blend of 68% Zinfandel, 18% Carignane, 12% Petite Sirah, and 2% Alicante Bouschet, the wine had a dark ruby color and aromas of ripe black cherries, plum, sweet oak, mint, and gravel earth. Rich bramble fruit entry, round and supple tannins, refreshing acidity, and layered complex fruits in a long finish.
- Item #: i_254580Bottle Size: 375ML**Please note, this is a half sized bottleANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Ridge's 2017 Lytton Springs opens up beautifully, with bright acids that drive a whole range of red/purplish fruit intermingled with floral notes. Creamy and ample in feel, the 2017 boasts superb balance and pedigree. Readers lucky enough to owe it should plan on cellaring it for at least a few years."
- Item #: i_254590Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Ridge's 2017 Lytton Springs opens up beautifully, with bright acids that drive a whole range of red/purplish fruit intermingled with floral notes. Creamy and ample in feel, the 2017 boasts superb balance and pedigree. Readers lucky enough to own it should plan on cellaring it for at least a few years."
- Item #: i_254660Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 91Ridge Vineyards Three Valley red has been one of our best-selling blends in our Zinfandel section for many years. Its style is in the middle, not quit classic but also not on the "jammy" end of the spectrum either, showing dark fruit, hints of pepper and spices and tobacco notes. A blend of 73% Zinfandel, 15% Petite Sirah, 10% Carignane, and 2% Grenache, texturally this vintage shows a lot of finesse, its medium body glides across the palate with ease. Whether you are popping this with BBQ foods / roasted meats or just enjoying a glass over a good conversation this easy drinking red over delivers!
WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Lively and well-built, with expressive cherry, roasted dill and white pepper flavors that glide toward refined tannins. Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Carignane and Grenache. Drink now through 2025."
- Item #: i_255270Bottle Size: 750mlSpanish for "the gold," El Dorado Vineyard sits not far from where the precious metal was first discovered in California. As the state's early pioneers coveted gold, Koerner Rombauer so prized the Zinfandel from this site, he could not resist when the chance to buy the vineyard arose in 2010. This marks the third vintage of El Dorado Zinfandel under the Rombauer family's ownership.
The grapes were carefully destemmed and optically sorted to ensure only perfect fruit made it into the wine. A cold soak extracted color and flavor before primary fermentation began in tank. The wine was gently basket-pressed, then racked to oak barrels to finish primary fermentation, malolactic fermentation and aging.
This wine is ruby red with a bright hue with aromas of red berries and blackberries mixed with brown sugar, tobacco and a hint of rose. On the palate, it's expansive and dense with flavors of plums, boysenberry, blackberry jam, vanilla and dried florals. The finish builds and lingers on and on.