- Item #: i_211210Bottle Size: 750mlWe have been looking for a delicious Zinfandel at this price point for some time, and we think we've found a winner! Ancient Peaks sits in the Paso Robles appellation, 22 miles south of the city of Paso Robles and just 14 miles from the Pacific Ocean. Here, the surrounding peaks of the Santa Lucia Mountain Range act as a gateway between the ocean-cooled environs below the grade and the warmer climes above the grade. When the days heat up in the areas north and east of Margarita Vineyard, the air rises to create a vacuum that pulls marine breezes and fog inland over the peaks, and right through the vineyard. This means the fruit gets ripe, without any "off" flavors, yet the cooling afternoon breezes help the resulting wine to retain freshness and acidity.
Ancient Peaks' 2018 Zinfandel offers deep, savory aromas of black cherry and plum with notes of vanilla, tobacco and dusty spice. Bright, brambly flavors of red raspberry and boysenberry unfold across a juicy texture with hints of cedar wood and black tea. Fresh acidity adds lift and structure to a sleek, peppery finish.
- Item #: i_219630Bottle Size: 750mlZinfandel is California's heritage grape. Chronic Cellars loves Zin and loves to blend with it even more. It has all the fruit that one could want and is always accepting to bring in some friends to play with. The added spice of Tempranillo compliments the white pepper of the zin. Then there's the meat, smoke and leather of Syrah, which one can never go wrong with. Add in petite sirah and tannat with its big tannins, and it will always be a game winner. A blend of 74% Zinfandel, 15% Tempranillo, 16% Petite Sirah, 8% Tempranillo, and 2% Alicante Bouschet.
- Item #: i_276094Bottle Size: 750mlEberle's 2018 Zinfandel has a palate and nose that is filled with rich blackberry, ripe raspberry and vivid strawberry combined with spices of black pepper, clove, and cinnamon. A medium-bodied wine that is well-balanced and embodies true varietal characteristics. This wine often surprises those expecting a big and bold Zinfandel, as our version shows restraint and balance bringing forth how elegant a Zinfandel can be.
- Item #: i_221500Bottle Size: 750mlPours the color of darkest night. Heady aromas of bleuberry pie, luxurious suede couches, ham paninis, unlit menthol cigarettes and roquefort tarts. Firm tannins anchor flavors of grilled meats, cherry cola, sweet carob and black licorice chews, all cased up together conveniently in a cigar humidifier. Drink now. You know you're going to, anyway.
- Item #: i_239080Bottle Size: 750mlBright dark garnet black color. Rich, fruity, jammy peppery earthy aromas of black raspberry jam, black plums, gravel, and black pepper with a bright, dry full body and a peppery, medium-length finish with firm, woody tannins and moderate oak.
- Item #: i_202220Bottle Size: 750mlMcPrice Myers' Zinfandel is a relative newcomer to his "Blue Collar" line-up. Sourced from Westside Paso vineyards it has a splash of Syrah and Mourvedre. As you would expect from Paso, this is a big, rich wine that still retains freshness, along with notes of bramble, sweet leather, red licorice, candied cherry, red plum, cherry cola, rhubarb, vanilla, pecan pie, green peppercorn, applewood smoked bacon, spearmint.
- Item #: i_248090Bottle Size: 750MLIn just a matter of a few years, owners Rick Quinn and Dave Nichols have made Opolo one of the shining stars of Paso Robles' "Westside". Their forward, fruit driven, consumer friendly wines (and awesome tasting room staff) combine to make this spot a "must see" on any wine lover's trip to this ever-evolving region.
Harvested from their vineyards located in the Adelaide range of the Santa Lucia Mountains, the resulting grapes are of exceptional quality due to their enviable growing condition of warm days balanced by cool breezes from the Pacific Ocean. They were fermented in open top bins (not tanks), and aged in American oak, the preferred barrels for Zinfandel, for 10 months.
What does this all mean? It means that when you taste this black/garnet wine, your mouth is awash in big bold fruit flavors that feature ripe black cherries, raspberries, currants and spices. Its soft tannins, balanced acidity, and sexy profile will easily satisfy the Zin Beast in everyone!
- Item #: i_249060Bottle Size: 750mlPatrick McNeil found Paydirt in the western hillsides of Paso Robles and in winemaker McPrice Myers. Patrick and McPrice focus on the cooler sites of Paso Robles, where California's greatest daily shift in temperature and limestone-rich soils provide the ideal environment for extremely rich and balanced zinfandels.
A blend of 84% Zinfandel, 6% Syrah, 4% Grenache, 3% Mourvedre, and 3% Petite Sirah, the nose is filled with ripe blackberries, plum, sweet tobacco, dark chocolate, and cranberry relish. The palate is densely packed with ripe berries, brown spice, sweet Cuban coffee, and chalky minerality. The finish is persistent, layered and vibrant, with a nice touch of spice.
- Item #: i_276740Bottle Size: 750mlThe Wheelhouse Zinfandel has become known for its ample fruit with nuanced textures, a Paso Robles hallmark. The 2018 vintage is as sleek and flavorful as ever with cranberry and bright cherries up front. It features pomegranate, ripe figs, anise, and vanilla on the nose. Tobacco flavors become apparent and cocoa powder notes appear. The finish stretches delightfully, expressive and quenching to the very end.
- Item #: i_265800Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2003, Linne Calodo's first vintage of Slacker was born and through 2010 continued to be a portfolio staple until they totally slacked and forgot to make it again. The ethos of Slacker was always described by winemaker Matt Trevisan as, "wine representing not only the winemaker, but the idea that wines should be fun and relaxed." Forever akin to the Slacker lifestyle, they decided to bring back the Slacker name in a much more appropriate way. Now its own label, Trevisan crafted two fun blends that showcase his ability to constantly keep creating and pioneering the exciting possibilities of the Paso Robles wine region.
Zinfandel classed up with a little Syrah and Graciano gives you all the jam and fruit of a Zin, but with the more elegant texture and length of a Rhone blend. Plums and pomegranates envelope the nose and palate on this warm and inviting Zinfandel. It pops with juices as it rolls across the tongue, with a lingering flavor of roasted almonds and star anise. This winerides low and broad in the mouth, filling out in a comforting and potent embrace. It will pair with everything from brisket, to barbecue, to chocolate cake with its rich aromatics and flavor, yet is light enough to be enjoyed on its own. It will continue to show off through 2026.
- Item #: i_255280Bottle Size: 750mlGorgeous purple hue, the nose is bright with raspberry compote, red plum, cinnamon and a hint of bramble. Full-bodied and bursting with fruit, the palate boasts dried black cherries, nutmeg and pie crust. The finish is both smooth and long, indicating an already developing wine that will only continue to grow in complexity.
- Item #: i_276638Bottle Size: 750MLDeep, dark, intense, ruby color. Rich fruit berry aroma with spice. Intense raspberry and black cherry with a thick velvety texture. Full and jammy, with hints of spice and pepper on the finish.
- Item #: i_270475Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 93-95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2018 Zinfandel Ueberroth Vineyard has a deep ruby-purple color and scents of apricot, burnt tangerine peel, underbrush and floral potpourri with a dense core of black and red fruits. The medium-bodied palate explodes with flavor! Its floral and spice-laced fruits are supported by a super fresh, silky frame, and it finishes long and layered. What an elegant expression this vintage."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93-95 POINTS - "The 2018 Zinfandel Ueberroth Vineyard is another potent and tannic wine in this range. All of that structure works well to play off the racy, bold Paso fruit that runs through its veins. Iron, smoke, menthol and game undertones give this striking Zinfandel gorgeous layers of complexity. Readers lucky enough to find the Ueberroth can look forward to many years of fine drinking."
- Item #: i_270100Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 91-94ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2019 Zinfandel Dusi Vineyard, medium ruby-purple in color, offers bright red cherry perfume with notes of tar, potpourri and aniseed. Medium-bodied, the palate is soft and grainy with loads of juicy acidity, bright fruit character and a long, uplifted finish. 1,700 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 91-94 POINTS - "The 2019 Zinfandel Dusi Vineyard is such a classic expression of Zinfandel from Paso Robles. Rich and layered in the glass, the Dusi is exuberant but also remarkably on its feet for a wine with so much natural intensity. Sweet pipe tobacco, cedar, mint and dried flowers add striking layers of aromatic nuance to a core of Zinfandel fruit."
- Item #: i_270660Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 92-95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2019 Zinfandel Pesenti Vineyard opens slowly to tar, red cherries, dried flowers and earth on the nose. Medium-bodied, the palate offers loads of fresh berry character with a soft, approachable, fresh structure and uplifted, perfumed finish. This has more to show with another year or two in bottle. 2,380 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92-95 POINTS - "The 2019 Zinfandel Pesenti Vineyard is rich, exuberant and so expressive, with tons of Zinfandel character that just races out of the glass. Inky red fruit, rose petal, spice, mint and dried herbs all run through the Pesenti, a wine of unreal depth and textural intensity. At the same time, the Pesenti remains silky and so polished. The slightly lower acid profile works especially well here."
- Item #: i_270840Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "Coming all from the 4 Hearts Vineyard and based on 78% Zinfandel and 22% Tempranillo, the 2018 Westberg Red just about jumps out of the glass with its red, black, and blue fruits as well as notes of incense, spice box, chocolate, and leathery aromas and flavors. Full-bodied and beautifully done, it has a light, elegant texture and a great finish. This killer Paso Robles red does everything right and will evolve for a solid 10-12 years."