- Item #: i_206620Bottle Size: 750MLIn 1980 when the Brown family stumbled upon their now renowned property in the Chiles Valley sub-appellation of the Napa Valley, it was but a ghost ranch up the hill east of Rutherford. Five years later they planted vineyards and for a decade they farmed and sold wine grapes. In 1995 the second generation, encouraged by growing demand for their fruit, established the Brown Estate label and began making their own wines.
Brown's flagship Napa Valley Zinfandel historically has borne the responsibility of being the ultimate representative of what their property and its unique microclimate have to offer — the cream of the Brown Estate zinfandel crop blended into one stellar wine. Rich magenta hue in the glass. Nose opens with abundant floral notes of hibiscus, dried rose petals, and violet followed by fruit notes of black plum, blackberry, and dried orange peels. Nose finishes with fresh cut wood/sawdust, fir balsam, and a hint of tangy soy/umami. Medium-plus palate layered with bramble fruit up front, leading into dried herbs, exotic spices, and dusty earth. Long finish with well-balanced acid and tannins. Drink now through 2028.
- Item #: i_207400Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 97ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "The 2018 Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard is even better from bottle than it was from tank last year. What a wine! In 2018, the Carlisle Zinfandel is off the charts. Exotic floral notes, crushed red berry fruit, spice and wild flowers give the 2018 magnificent inner sweetness and perfume that just gains in intensity with time in the glass. The blend of 86% Zinfandel and 14% Mixed Blacks works so well. For readers who want to know why 2018 is so magical in the Russian River and Sonoma more broadly, the 2018 Carlisle pretty much sums it up."
- Item #: i_207490Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92-95ANTONIO GALLONI 92-95 POINTS - "The 2018 Zinfandel Montafi Ranch is another compelling wine in this range from Carlisle. Ripe red cherry, cedar and sweet tobacco are all beautifully lifted. With a bit of air, the Montafi starts to show its considerable weight and resonance. The 11% mixed blacks add quite a bit of character."
- Item #: i_222300Bottle Size: 750mlFontanella Family's 2013 Zinfandel is an incredible showcase of the wide variety of micro-climates and growing conditions available in the Napa Valley. Four different Zinfandel vineyards from four different Napa Valley AVA's have been artfully blended together to create their signature Zinfandel: smooth and approachable with surprising depth and effortless balance. A bouquet of brioche, blackberries, huckleberries, and a dusting of black pepper invite you into a mouthful of red fruits, fig, and black currant with young, velvety tannins and bright acidity creating satisfying structure.
- Item #: i_226340Bottle Size: 750mlThe backbone of the 2018 Disciples Red Wine comes from the Morisoli Vineyard in Rutherford and the Tofanelli Vineyard in Calistoga. The Morisoli's have been farming their plot of land for 5 generations, dating back to the 1890's. The Tofanelli's have been farming their ranch since 1929 and grow some of Napa's most coveted field blend varietals.
A blend of 49% Zinfandel, 19% Petite Sirah, 10% Charbono, 9% Grenache, 7% Syrah, and 6% Merlot, strawberry preserves leap from the glass initially, followed by a bouquet of floral aromatics: lavender, violets and roses. Rich earthy notes of freshly plowed soil, fresh rain on warm granite and petrichor. Spicy, but not a peppery spice, more of a star anise spiciness, tart raspberries and sweet plouts, with a very long, dusty finish of strawberry cream, vanilla and caramelized sugar that lingers.... smooth and luscious!
- Item #: i_226320Bottle Size: 750mlIn 1885, Dr. George Beldon Crane planted an assortment of grape vines on an eight-acre plot of land, just south of St. Helena. Today, it is one of the oldest vineyards in the Napa Valley, consisting of a field blend traditionally known as "mixed blacks". Although records are scarce, the vines likely consist of Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Carignan and to a lesser extent, Alicante Bouschet, Mourvedre and Valdiguie. Of the eight acres currently in production, approximately four contain a mixture of G.B. Crane's original head trained vines with newer plantings from the 1930s interspersed. The other four acres consist of a 1.6-acre block of Cabernet Sauvignon, a 1.4-acre block of Petite Sirah, and two rows of Merlot. With such a storied history and enormous potential, GB Crane purchased the eight-acre vineyard in 2012 with one goal: to preserve this piece of California viticultural history and produce a wine that both represents and respects that heritage.
The El Coco blend changes every year, and this time it's a blend of 56% Petite Sirah, 35% Zinfandel, and 9% Merlot. The 2018 El Coco pours vivid violet and sits with a dark crimson core and a Black Baccara Rose rim. Awash with complex and changing aromas, the nose starts with ripe blue fruits and brambly framboise, then opens up to some crème de menthe and cigar box. Seamless yet broad on entry, the palate is rife with blueberry, black cherry and a hint of white pepper. Plush, effortlessly balanced and with round, soft tannins, the finish is the epitome of length; it builds and eventually blooms to a satiating note of dark pluot.
- Item #: i_239980Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2018 Zinfandel Giuseppe and Luisa is, in my view, once again the most distinctive Zinfandel in this range. Bright acids, floral overtones and chiseled red fruit scream with Russian River character. Medium in body, gracious and beautifully perfumed, the Giuseppe and Luisa is flat-out gorgeous. I loved it."
- Item #: i_248220Bottle Size: 750mlAn opaque core with a red amethyst rim, the wine opens with ripe raspberry and blackberry, dark plum preserves and hints of black pepper and clove. An entry of heft, the palate is packed with blueberry and sweet black cherry along with touch of fresh herbs—thyme, savory and tarragon. Long on the finish, the ripe tannins, a dash of ash, and notes of black tea round out the wine.
- Item #: i_248420Bottle Size: 750MLThe Prisoner is an innovative red blend that takes its stylistic cue from the drinkable "mixed blacks" first made by Italian immigrants who originally settled the Napa Valley. In the late 90's there were a handful of Napa producers beginning to make this style of wine again and Dave Phinney became one of them.
A blend of Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petite Sirah, Syrah, and Merlot, the wine features enticing aromas of ripe raspberry, vanilla, and coconut. Flavors of fresh and dried blackberry, pomegranate, and vanilla linger harmoniously for a smooth and luscious finish.
- Item #: i_252330Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "The 2017 Zinfandel Black Boar includes about 21% Petite Sirah. Medium to deep ruby-purple in color, it offers aromas of cinnamon stick, tar, charcuterie and dried flowers with a core of jammy black fruits. The medium-bodied palate has well-managed ripeness, a firm, fresh frame and long, floral-laced finish. 662 cases produced."
- Item #: i_205360Bottle Size: 750MLRW Moore is a old-vine Zinfandel vineyard planted in 1906. The fruit previously was sold to Turley Vineyards and sold as "Earthquake Vineyard". This is the third vintage of this great vineyard for Robert Biale wines.
The wine is loaded with bright red fruits, carob, cedar, spices and dried flowers. The balance is impeccable. The flavors are laced into the wine with pure fruits and wonderful texture.
- Item #: i_205210Bottle Size: 750ML"Hey Aldo, when you stop by this Friday, bring me a few pounds of walnuts, some fruits and veggies, a couple dozen eggs and a Black Chicken!" - This was one of the many covert orders placed to Aldo Biale.
For over 70 years starting in 1937 the Biale family has been growing Zinfandel along with a variety of produce. Back then, a young Aldo Biale used to deliver eggs to local customers. Along with those eggs and produce a teenaged Aldo began discreetly selling his homemade wine to a few wine-loving locals in Napa. Because his rural home phone was a "party line" frequented by nosy eavesdroppers, enterprising Aldo used a code name whereby his customers could order wine without the risk of revealing his secret Zinfandel operation. Thus "Black Chicken" was born - the nickname for a jug of homemade wine from young Aldo's barrels hidden in the barn.
In 1991 Aldo teamed up with his son Robert and a couple other key figures to form Robert Biale Vineyards and with such long standing history, grapes and winemaking Robert Biale Vineyards gained recognition and a cultish following by Zinfandel fanatics.
The Black Chicken bottling is sourced primarily from Biale's estate vineyards in the Oak Knoll district. This wine is round and plush with a gentle grip of perfectly ripe tannins. A spectrum of red and dark fruits– raspberries, cherries, blackberries, bright vivid aromas, fine-grained texture, star anise, black and white pepper, cocoa, subtle nuanced oak. Age worthy, compelling, decadent: a beautifully proportioned Napa Valley Zinfandel.
- Item #: i_265800Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2003, Linne Calodo's first vintage of Slacker was born and through 2010 continued to be a portfolio staple until they totally slacked and forgot to make it again. The ethos of Slacker was always described by winemaker Matt Trevisan as, "wine representing not only the winemaker, but the idea that wines should be fun and relaxed." Forever akin to the Slacker lifestyle, they decided to bring back the Slacker name in a much more appropriate way. Now its own label, Trevisan crafted two fun blends that showcase his ability to constantly keep creating and pioneering the exciting possibilities of the Paso Robles wine region.
Zinfandel classed up with a little Syrah and Graciano gives you all the jam and fruit of a Zin, but with the more elegant texture and length of a Rhone blend. Plums and pomegranates envelope the nose and palate on this warm and inviting Zinfandel. It pops with juices as it rolls across the tongue, with a lingering flavor of roasted almonds and star anise. This winerides low and broad in the mouth, filling out in a comforting and potent embrace. It will pair with everything from brisket, to barbecue, to chocolate cake with its rich aromatics and flavor, yet is light enough to be enjoyed on its own. It will continue to show off through 2026.
- Item #: i_270475Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 93-95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2018 Zinfandel Ueberroth Vineyard has a deep ruby-purple color and scents of apricot, burnt tangerine peel, underbrush and floral potpourri with a dense core of black and red fruits. The medium-bodied palate explodes with flavor! Its floral and spice-laced fruits are supported by a super fresh, silky frame, and it finishes long and layered. What an elegant expression this vintage."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93-95 POINTS - "The 2018 Zinfandel Ueberroth Vineyard is another potent and tannic wine in this range. All of that structure works well to play off the racy, bold Paso fruit that runs through its veins. Iron, smoke, menthol and game undertones give this striking Zinfandel gorgeous layers of complexity. Readers lucky enough to find the Ueberroth can look forward to many years of fine drinking."
- Item #: i_270110Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 93ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2019 Zinfandel Duarte has a deep ruby-purple color and gregarious perfume of blueberry and blackberry preserves with hints of peaches, aniseed, tar and dried flowers. The palate is medium-bodied, soft, perfumed and approachable with lots of juicy lift on the finish. 1,560 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2019 Zinfandel Duarte is a blend from Evangelho, Salvador, Del Barba and Mori, all in Contra Costa County. Rich, ripe and flavorful, the 2019 takes varietal Zinfandel notes and turns up the volume. Inky and rich, with terrific fruit density, the 2019 is the sort of wine that is opened and disappears at the table. This is such a gorgeous vintage for the Duarte."
- Item #: i_270100Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 91-94ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2019 Zinfandel Dusi Vineyard, medium ruby-purple in color, offers bright red cherry perfume with notes of tar, potpourri and aniseed. Medium-bodied, the palate is soft and grainy with loads of juicy acidity, bright fruit character and a long, uplifted finish. 1,700 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 91-94 POINTS - "The 2019 Zinfandel Dusi Vineyard is such a classic expression of Zinfandel from Paso Robles. Rich and layered in the glass, the Dusi is exuberant but also remarkably on its feet for a wine with so much natural intensity. Sweet pipe tobacco, cedar, mint and dried flowers add striking layers of aromatic nuance to a core of Zinfandel fruit."
- Item #: i_270490Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+Vinous Media: 94ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2019 Zinfandel Kirschenmann Vineyard is the finest wine I have tasted off this site yet. Effusive in its aromatics, with striking red berry fruit and gorgeous purity, the Kirschenmann shows the elegance that is possible in Lodi. All the elements come together effortlessly in the glass. The 2019 is such a classy wine."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "The medium ruby colored 2019 Zinfandel Kirschenmann Vineyard opens with a bit of tarry reduction over a core of black fruits and spices. The palate is offering much more at this youthful stage. It's packed with dark, spiced fruits and is medium-bodied, soft and fresh with an earthy finish. It has great potential and just needs more time in bottle. 1,220 cases produced."
- Item #: i_270660Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 92-95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2019 Zinfandel Pesenti Vineyard opens slowly to tar, red cherries, dried flowers and earth on the nose. Medium-bodied, the palate offers loads of fresh berry character with a soft, approachable, fresh structure and uplifted, perfumed finish. This has more to show with another year or two in bottle. 2,380 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92-95 POINTS - "The 2019 Zinfandel Pesenti Vineyard is rich, exuberant and so expressive, with tons of Zinfandel character that just races out of the glass. Inky red fruit, rose petal, spice, mint and dried herbs all run through the Pesenti, a wine of unreal depth and textural intensity. At the same time, the Pesenti remains silky and so polished. The slightly lower acid profile works especially well here."
- Item #: i_270840Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "Coming all from the 4 Hearts Vineyard and based on 78% Zinfandel and 22% Tempranillo, the 2018 Westberg Red just about jumps out of the glass with its red, black, and blue fruits as well as notes of incense, spice box, chocolate, and leathery aromas and flavors. Full-bodied and beautifully done, it has a light, elegant texture and a great finish. This killer Paso Robles red does everything right and will evolve for a solid 10-12 years."