Zinfandel (also known as Primitivo) is a variety of black-skinned wine grape. DNA fingerprinting has revealed that it is genetically equivalent to the Croatian grape Crljenac, as well as to the Primitivo variety traditionally grown in Apulia (the "heel" of Italy), where it was introduced in the 18th century. The grape found its way to the United States in the mid-19th century, where it became known by variations of the name "Zinfandel". The grapes typically produce a robust red wine. The grape's high sugar content can be fermented into levels of alcohol exceeding 15 percent. The taste of the red wine depends on the ripeness of the grapes from which it is made. Red berry fruit flavors like raspberry predominate in wines from cooler areas, whereas blackberry, anise and pepper notes are more common in wines made in warmer areas and in wines made from the earlier-ripening Primitivo clone.
- Item #: i_200655Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 65% Zinfandel and 35% Petite Sirah, sourced from Alexander Valley, Dry Creek Valley, Russian River Valley, and Livermore. This rich, dark, dense wine presents as dark purple-red in the glass. The bold, jammy, ripeness of the Zinfandel is well balanced with the blue-black notes of the Petite Sirah. On the nose, you are greeted with the essence of blackberry pie, black cherry, graphite and a hint of herbaciousness. On the palate, this wine is inky and thick while maintaining brightness and balance. Notes of marionberry, bramble and a hint of black pepper coat your mouth in an assertive, rich and lingering way.
- Item #: i_277784Bottle Size: 750MLThe name Rocky Reserve comes from the deep red, rocky soils of the Florence Vineyard, 1400 feet above Lake Sonoma and Dry Creek Valley. This is a more elegant and restrained Zin, worthy of five or more years of cellaring, though it is packed with fragrant black and blue berry fruits.Nice dark-red in color, big blueberry-blackberry fruit, spicy-chocolatey oak, nicely focused acidity enhances mineral flavors, elegantly structured tannins for aging, super plush long finish!
- Item #: i_232890Bottle Size: 750mlNamed for the old grist mill that was found on the property, Grist sits pretty at 1000 ft. elevation on Bradford Mountain in the Dry Creek Valley AVA. The site was originally planted 100 years ago, and has since been replanted in the early 1970s. Farming here is CCOF Organic. The 58 acres under vine are head trained and cane pruned, and have spectacular views of the fog line driving in 15 miles west from the Pacific Ocean. Between Grist and the beachfront lie 15 miles of mountain lions, deer, and unspoiled forest.
- Item #: i_228810Bottle Size: 750MLHartford Family Winery began back in 1994 by Don and Jennifer Hartford. Since their inaugural release in 1996, Hartford has continued to produce wines with lots of personality and charisma. The single vineyard wines they produce range from as little as 90 to 800 cases and receive high accolades from the top wine critics. The Old Vine Zinfandel is produced from true old vines planted 80-100 years ago from some of California's oldest Zinfandel vineyards.
- Item #: i_229910Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 93 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "From a historic site planted in 1905, this impressive wine is defined by well-crafted layers of black pepper, tomato leaf and blackberry. Its sizable length and breadth is laced in cinnamon spice and ample acidity that reins it in from becoming overdone."
- Item #: i_253650Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91The Mount Peak story begins more than a century ago at the celebrated Monte Rosso Vineyard (one of the truly great vineyards in Sonoma County) and culminates with the revival of Mount Peak Winery, a vistige of one of California's ghost wineries. These wines are inspired by this great place, and the new owners pay tribute to the extraordinary winery that once stood there by capturing its enduring spirit in the wine.
Rattlesnake Zinfandel is tribute to the crest called Rattlesnake Hill, the highest point of the Monte Rosso Vineyard and a site famous for rattlesnakes living among the vines. During the day, the snakes seek the abundant sunshine and in the evening, the coil inside and around the vines. This Zinfandel is fulled with an alluring mouthwatering quality with robust flavors that includes rupe blueberries, blackberries, cherry jam and fig all tied together by a brambly undertone. Accents of white pepper, licorice, and smoke weave through the wine, deepening throughout the luscious finish.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2015 Zinfandel Rattlesnake is medium to deep garnet-purple colored with a nose of raspberry preserves, fruitcake and blackberry pie with hints of Indian spices and tilled soil plus a waft of tree bark. Full, rich and balsamic in the mouth with firm, chewy tannins and a lively acid line, it finishes long and spicy. 5,100 cases produced."
- Item #: i_249101Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of 48% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Petite Verdot, 12% Zinfandel, 8% Petite Sirah, 8% Syrah, 6% Tempranillo, and 3% Merlot, this rich, luxurious and complex wine begins with alluring aromas of ripe cherry, red currant, cranberry and blueberry, along with sophisticated notes of sandalwood, clove, anise and black tea. On the palate, smooth, silky tannins underscore the lush black cherry and currant flavors, with hints of chocolate, spice and cracked pepper adding depth and nuance to the long, flowing finish.
- Item #: i_252330Bottle Size: 750mlThe boldness of Black Boar Zinfandel is readily apparent even before you take that first sip. The aromas are immediately deep and dense with sweet blackberries making the first impression. Fullbore flavors of dark cherry and blackberry preserves take center stage on the palate, but the roundness of the flavors and the texture keeps the wine elegant. Classic Dry Creek notes of black pepper and baking spice accent the dark, lush fruit, adding layers and complexity.
- Item #: i_254620Bottle Size: 750MLRidge has made the Geyserville as a single-site Zinfandel in every year since 1966. The grapes are grown in three adjoining vineyards on a defined stretch of gravelly soil approximately one-and-a-quarter miles long and a half-mile wide.
A blend of 68% Zinfandel, 18% Carignane, 12% Petite Sirah, and 2% Alicante Bouschet, the wine had a dark ruby color and aromas of ripe black cherries, plum, sweet oak, mint, and gravel earth. Rich bramble fruit entry, round and supple tannins, refreshing acidity, and layered complex fruits in a long finish.
- Item #: i_254590Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Ridge's 2017 Lytton Springs opens up beautifully, with bright acids that drive a whole range of red/purplish fruit intermingled with floral notes. Creamy and ample in feel, the 2017 boasts superb balance and pedigree. Readers lucky enough to own it should plan on cellaring it for at least a few years."
- Item #: i_255270Bottle Size: 750mlSpanish for "the gold," El Dorado Vineyard sits not far from where the precious metal was first discovered in California. As the state's early pioneers coveted gold, Koerner Rombauer so prized the Zinfandel from this site, he could not resist when the chance to buy the vineyard arose in 2010. This marks the third vintage of El Dorado Zinfandel under the Rombauer family's ownership.
The grapes were carefully destemmed and optically sorted to ensure only perfect fruit made it into the wine. A cold soak extracted color and flavor before primary fermentation began in tank. The wine was gently basket-pressed, then racked to oak barrels to finish primary fermentation, malolactic fermentation and aging.
This wine is ruby red with a bright hue with aromas of red berries and blackberries mixed with brown sugar, tobacco and a hint of rose. On the palate, it's expansive and dense with flavors of plums, boysenberry, blackberry jam, vanilla and dried florals. The finish builds and lingers on and on.
- Item #: i_255190Bottle Size: 750MLComing from several key vineyards in the Sierra Foothills and other regions in Northern California, this juicy, jammy Zinfandel is deep purple in color with powerful aromas of wild berries, clove and plum that emerge from the glass. Luscious, juicy layers of black cherry, blackberry and boysenberry integrate with nuances of allspice and burst on the palate. The berry flavors linger for an extended finish.
- Item #: i_259000Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 90+ POINTS - "Medium garnet colored, the 2014 Zinfandel Cortina offers baked black cherries, mulberries, prunes and eucalyptus notes with a Chinese five spice and forest floor undercurrent. Full-bodied, the palate delivers a relatively fresh style with plenty of spicy black fruit preserves backed up by lively acid and a light grip of chewy tannins, finishing long and earthy."
- Item #: i_255280Bottle Size: 750mlThis is an elegant style of Zinfandel with up front aromas of cranberry, cherry, fresh cigar, chocolate and a subtle smokiness. On the mouth, note the impeccable balance between the use of French oak barrels 20% whole cluster fermentation, and great acidity. It finishes with silky, youthful tannins.
- Item #: i_266970Bottle Size: 750MLThis is Storybook's primary estate wine from 100% Napa Valley organically grown estate grapes,. Here you will find all the richness and fruit for which Zinfandel is famous, plus the depth and structure associated with Napa hillside vineyards, and the balance for which Storybook wines are known. Crafted to be enjoyed on release, the wine's notable depth and balance will continue its appeal well into the future.
- Item #: i_268850Bottle Size: 750MLAnybody who has come into our store asking about Zinfandel has heard us raving about this gem for the past few years, which has been one of our favorite Zinfandels at the yearly Zinfandel Advocates and Producers (ZAP) tasting. Proprietors Timm and Sharon Crull's vineyards are in the Rutherford area of Napa Valley, a stone's throw from such big names as Quintessa, Heitz, and Sloan, just to give you an idea of how great these vineyards are!
One of the three estate grown varietals, Terraces Zinfandel is always a fan favorite. The 2016 vintage has a deep ruby color, with aromas of ripe raspberry, fresh blackberry, toasted cedar, vanilla and baking spice. The palate is bright with mouth-watering acidity and complex flavors of cranberry, baked red cherry, espresso, and a touch of white pepper. The generous finish and soft integrated tannin draw you back for the next sip. Drink now, or age for 5-8 years for optimum enjoyment.
- Item #: i_275399Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Zinfandel Steacy Ranch comes from a vineyard planted in 1907 to Zinfandel as well as Grenache and Carignane. It has a medium to deep ruby-purple color and very spicy, singular nose of black licorice, dried black cherries and dried blackcurrants with notes of stone and blue fruits at the core plus cedar and soil touches. Medium to full-bodied, it offers lots of spices in the mouth with wonderfully ripe, lush black fruits accented by peachy notes, framed by mouthwatering acidity and soft, grainy tannins, finishing long. 1,000 cases produced."