SYRAH, GRENACHE, VIOGNIER, ETC
- Item #: i_230210Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "Of these three offerings from Horsepower, the 2015 Syrah The Tribe Vineyard will require the most time, as it's the most tight-knit at this early stage, slowly unwinding in the glass with savory aromas of raw cocoa, tapenade, nori and ripe blackberries. On the palate, it's full-bodied, deep and concentrated, with a rich chassis of satiny structuring tannins and a layered, umami-laden core of fruit. At 13.6% alcohol, it's also beautifully balanced."
- Item #: i_232280Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 100 PointsStarted by Charlie Banks and Stan Kroenke of Screaming Eagle, the Jonata wines epitomize what is possible when one truly has the dedication to producing only the best! The vineyards are located near other notable vineyards such as Larner and Stolpman in Ballard Canyon. This limestone rich valley runs north/south, bisecting the Santa Rita Hills AVA from the rest of the Santa Ynez Valley. Matt Dees has been the talented winemaker behind the wines since their debut vintage in 2004, teaming up these days with Sonoma County native Drew Pickering as his assistant winemaker. This is one of the most stunning Syrahs we have had in quite a while out of California! It is a bold Syrah that is packed with powder, yet still retains elegance and charm...but it won't last long!
JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "Even better than the crazy-good 2007, the 2015 La Sangre de Jonata is sheer perfection in a glass and up with the finest Syrahs ever made in California! Checking in as a blend of 97% Syrah and 3% Viognier, aged in barrel, its saturated purple color is followed by out of this world aromatics black raspberries, smoked earth, graphite, game, violets and freshly crushed rock-like minerality. Possessing huge concentration, building tannin, and yet a seamless, ethereally pure texture, it needs 2-4 years of bottle age to become approachable. It is unquestionably the finest vintage for this cuvée today and hats off to the team at Jonata for this beauty!"
- Item #: i_232300Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsOwned by Stanly Kroenke, the same gentleman that owns Screaming Eagle, Jonata has catapulted itself to the forefront of Santa Barbara County winemaking! Their vineyards are sustainably farmed, the wines routinely received high scores from the critics, and it was their "Todos" blend that really struck a chord with us this year! "Todos" translates to everything, and no, Jonata didn't just blend every single barrel of the leftovers. There were fantastic barrels of Cabernet, Syrah, Merlot, etc., so winemaker Matt Dees did blending trials with specific quantities of each varietal, and for the past few years, Todos has been an incredible wine for the money! It has earned 93 points from Wine Advocate and is a great way for consumers to sample the "house style" at a fraction of the price of the top bottlings.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "Blended of 47% Syrah, 28% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Petit Verdot, 5% Cabernet Franc, 5% Merlot, 3% Sangiovese and 2% Viognier, the 2014 Todos Proprietary Red Wine reveals a medium to deep garnet-purple color and a pronounced blackberries, blueberry pie and cassis-scented nose with an Indian spices and black pepper-laced undercurrent, plus a waft of lavender. Soft, medium-bodied, perfumed and elegant in the mouth, this finely crafted beauty offers great seamlessness and harmony, finishing long and spicy."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "It's always a fun tasting with winemaker Matt Dees and his team, and they continue to keep this estate at the top of the hierarchy in Santa Barbara County. Located in Ballard Canyon AVA, they pull only from their estate vineyard (planted on incredibly sandy soils) and make a wide range of cuvées, from a red and white Bordeaux blends, to a 100% Petit Verdot, Sangiovese and a number of terrific Rhône blends. The common thread is incredible quality."
"Graphite, pencil, lead, smoked earth, tobacco and assorted dark fruits emerge from the 2015 Todos, and it's its usual, crazy blend of just about every varietal. This beautifully pure, fresh, focused blend has fine tannin and a great finish, and is another stunner from this estate. The full blend is 56% Syrah, 14% Cabernet Franc, 10% Petit Verdot, 10% Sangiovese, 7% Petite Sirah, 2% Cabernet Sauvignon, and the balance Viognier."
- Item #: i_252570Bottle Size: 750mlSeptember's always a tricky month for wine (well, not really, but theoretically!); with the kids back in school and the start of football, our minds tend to wander to Fall and cooler weather, heartier meals and bigger, redder wines. September, however, can offer some impishly hot, pernicious weather to hamper that Fall feeling and throw chaos into your cellar choices! It actually can be one of the best months to vacation as the summer sun still stands tall and the beaches aren't as crowded, the barbecue isn't ready for winter and neither, perhaps, are you, dear reader! So our goal was to find a lively red wine that wouldn't be a tannic monster, one loaded with fruit yet with some body to pair up with the last weekend get-togethers of summer. Sometimes, like the recent sun-and-moon show in August, the heavens align and it all just works. Our private store label, Rock Garden, arrived in time and with the right stuff to fit our Wine of the Month slot.
This is a great warm-weather red yet will transition well to cooling climes. The nose is loaded with bright red fruits, lots of raspberry and cherry, with a touch of sandalwood and dark spice. The sweet red fruits carry over to the palate with the same red berries above, adding a touch of white pepper and black tea that ride over a wave of easy tannins. Last round of grilled burgers? This is the wine. It has enough stuffing for lighter grilled fare but isn't heavy and too tannic-- warm weather red? You bet!
There is 15% Mourvedre in this Syrah with fruit coming from these vineyards: Hinrichs (Ballard Canyon), Stockdale (Paso Robles) and Santa Barbara Highlands. The wine was aged in once-used and neutral French barrels for 22 months. Pick up a few bottles (or cases!) and relax under the September sun with this soft, delicious, balanced wine...
- Item #: i_259790Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "Blended of 90% Syrah and 10% Petite Sirah, the deep purple-black colored 2015 Relentless has a total rock-star nose of flamboyant blackberry pie, plum preserves, mulberries and licorice scents with hints of Sichuan pepper, hoisin, Indian spices and smoked meats plus a waft of raspberry leaves. Very big, rich, full and decadently fruited in the mouth, the palate packs in black fruits and exotic spices layers with a firm, rounded tannin frame and just enough freshness to carry off the long, opulent finish."
- Item #: i_270090Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "The extended aged 2015 Syrah M is more backward and structured, with the 2015 vintage character front and center. Based on 90.6% Syrah and the rest Petite Sirah, Grenache, and Viognier, aged 38 months in 66% new oak, its deep purple color is followed by powerful notes of blackcurrants, blackberries, cedarwood, spiced meat, candle wax, and white flowers. It's deep and full-bodied, with a huge mid-palate, building tannins, and one serious finish. This rocking beast of a Syrah stays remarkably elegant and perfectly balanced yet needs 4-5 years or more of bottle age. It's going to evolve for two decades or more."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 99 POINTS - "This is a single-vineyard Syrah-dominant blend coming from the Eleven Confessions Estate vineyard in Sta. Rita Hills. It bears Manfred Krankl's initial and a provocative self-portrait on the label. The blend is 90.6% Syrah, 4.4% Petite Syrah, 2.6% Grenache and 2.4% Viognier. Forty-three percent was fermented using whole clusters. It was aged for around 38 months in French oak, 66% new."
ANTONIO GALLONI 98 POINTS - "The 2015 Syrah M will thrill Sine Qua Non lovers. Rich and sumptuous in the glass, with tremendous aromatic nuance from the whole clusters, the 2015 possesses mind-blowing intensity, yet also remains light on its feet. What impresses me most is how much energy and vivacity the 2015 shows given the tiny yields that year. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this is yet another stunning wine from Sine Qua Non."