Sauvignon Blanc is a green-skinned grape variety that originates from the Bordeaux region of France. The grape most likely gets its name from the French words sauvage ("wild") and blanc ("white") due to its early origins as an indigenous grape in South West France. Sauvignon Blanc is planted in many of the world's wine regions, producing a crisp, dry, and refreshing white varietal wine. The grape is also a component of the famous dessert wines from Sauternes and Barsac. Sauvignon Blanc is widely cultivated in France, Chile, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Washington and California. Some New World Sauvignon blancs, particularly from California, may also be called "Fume Blanc". Depending on the climate, the flavor can range from aggressively grassy to sweetly tropical. In cooler climates, the grape has a tendency to produce wines with noticeable acidity and "green flavors" of grass, green bell peppers and nettles with some tropical fruit (such as passion fruit) and floral (such as elderflower) notes. In warmer climates, it can develop more tropical fruit notes but risk losing a lot of aromatics from over-ripeness, leaving only slight grapefruit and tree fruit (such as peach) notes.
- Item #: i_211240Bottle Size: 750mlAncient Peak's 2016 Sauvignon Blanc opens with bright aromas of peach, guava, citrus and wet stone. A round, soft texture envelopes the palate with luscious flavors of pear and tropical fruit, all underlain by a subtle minerality. The roundness yields to raciness on the finish, with pitchperfect acidity and lingering notes of lime zest.
- Item #: i_214560Bottle Size: 750mlA Happy Canyon AVA and Ballard Canyon AVA blend of 100% Sauvignon Blanc, this tank fermented wine is crisp, clean, and delicious. Tropical and citrus aromas define the aromatics with bright acidity and mineral flavors highlighting the palate.
- Item #: i_206060Bottle Size: 750mlWe’ve tasted this over the years and each time we do, it has impressed and electrified us! It's the Sauv Blanc that many wish they could make, and the type that everybody loves to drink. This is Brander's best Sauvignon Blanc, made from selected estate grapes in the classic Loire Valley style; 100% Sauv Blanc, with no oak and no malolactic fermentation. The 2016 au Naturel once again offers the gorgeous mouthfeel, compelling minerality, rich and balanced flavors, and long-term ageability this cuvee is renowned for. With notes of honeysuckle, Meyer lemon, and cantaloupe on the palate, this extraordinary wine finishes with grapefruit and hints of peach.
- Item #: i_210110Bottle Size: 750mlChalk Hill's 2017 Sauvignon Blanc showcases bright, tropical aromas of grapefruit, lime blossom, passionfruit, and plumeria flower. The crisp and refreshing palate has flavors of nectar, grapefruit zest, honeydew melon, and lime juice. Rich texture and mouthwatering minerality.
- Item #: i_215910Bottle Size: 750mlGrimm's Bluff was planted solely for the purpose of producing the highest quality grapes and has been lovingly farmed with Biodynamic methods since its inception. Dragonette sources fruit from three blocks here, the largest section in the unique head trained section of the vineyard. Careful farming and low irrigation result in small clusters and very low yields for this variety. These grapes demand fermentation and aging in French oak barriques and specially designed cigar shaped barrels, sur lie, in order to match the texture of the wine and to allow for a long slow evolution. Wines have extraordinary concentration, excellent acidity and a distinct mineral edge.
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Sauvignon Blanc Grimm's Bluff Vineyard shows a distinctly phenolic side of Sauvignon. Sage, orchard fruit, menthol and dried flowers complement a Sauvignon Blanc that really stands out for its sense of structure. Thick-skinned berries add to the wine's powerful, driven feel. I don't think I have ever tasted a Happy Canyon Sauvignon quite like this."
- Item #: i_216860Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottle375ml - Delightfully rendered in a traditional California style, this inordinately generous wine combines oily vectors of guava, mango, papaya and persimmon with hints of Meyer lemon, kiwi, jasmine, honey and thyme. Unctuous without being cloying, it seems perfectly suitable to richer seafood preparations such as halibut, bass or swordfish. In terms of cheese, we would recommend a creamy havarti as a match made in heaven!
- Item #: i_206630Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "Bottled in late July, the 2017 Sauvignon Blanc is a real step up from previous vintages, springing from the glass with vibrant lime cordial, orange blossom and grapefruit notes with touches of allspice, honeysuckle, ripe pears, white peaches and struck flint. Medium-bodied with a suggestion of satin to the texture and a fantastic intensity of exuberant citrus fruits and mineral notes, it delivers a very long, refreshing finish. This should age beautifully!"
- Item #: i_223060Bottle Size: 750mlContinuing the legacy of the Wagner Family's other profound wine ventures such as Caymus, Belle Glos, and Conundrum, Jenny Wagner takes the reins of Emmolo Winery and is making a hit with these new releases! Her family has a long-standing history in Napa Valley beginning with her great-grandfather, Italian immigrant, Salvatore Emmolo, who planted grapevines and started a grapevine rootstock nursery in Rutherford in the 1920's. His son, and Jenny's grandfather, Frank Emmolo, ran Emmolo Nursery and built a strong following amongst Napa Valley grapegrowers - becoming the leading supplier to Napa Valley vintners for five decades.
Jenny Wagner believes the key to creating a truly unique expression of California Sauvignon Blanc begins in the vineyards. A variety of effective methods were taken to decrease crop production for higher quality wine, including bloom brushing, root pruning and deficit irrigation. The 2015 vintage had a mild growing season that was longer than usual, allowing for slow ripening and a long "hang time."
In Jenny Wagner's opinion, Sauvignon Blanc runs the risk of being overly herbaceous, overly oaked, or simply one-dimensional. She feels a good Sauvignon Blanc should have natural firm acidity, crisp fruit and bright minerality, like that of a wet stone - a style of Sauvignon Blanc that can be enjoyed on its own as an aperitif or paired with a wide variety of food. This is an elegant and refined style of Sauvignon Blanc that is subtle and balanced, with minerality and bright natural acidity. On the nose, aromas of citrus, iron, wet stone and a hint of D'Anjou pear tempt your senses, while a crisp lightness, balanced acidity and underlying notes of fleshy grapefruit and lime zest please the palate. The significant minerality and soft body rounds out the wine. This Sauvignon Blanc was made to pair with food, yet is very versatile. Bottled using a Guala twist top in lieu of cork.
- Item #: i_229210Bottle Size: 750mlGalerie is a collection of wines devoted to showcasing two of California's foremost wine-growing regions - Napa Valley and Knights Valley. Winemaker Laura Diaz Mucoz brings these growing regions to life by vinifying the wines in the exactly the same way, allowing the natural difference in the fruit characteristics to express themselves in the glass.
This Sauvignon Blanc was fermented in stainless steel, new French oak, concrete egg, and neutral French oak for six months. The 2016 Naissance is a pale yellow wine with aromas of very ripe melon dew, juicy orange, lemon zest, plump pineapple, and Asian pear with an intense udnernote of fresh cut grass. The finish is long and full but with a crispy mouthfeel, lingering flavors, and acidity.
- Item #: i_274826Bottle Size: 750mlThis winery was born in an old tractor barn in Rutherford back in 1981. Starting with Sauvignon Blanc, and later adding Cabernet, they have quietly become a favorite, go-to house.
Winemaker Kristin Belair makes the Rutherford bottling (formerly labeled Reserve), with a respectful nod in the direction of Bordeaux in that it is blended with Semillon and Muscat, spends time in oak and is aged on the lees for 6 months. The result is an elegant, complex wine, with hints of grapefrukt, lemon zest, and appealing floral notes. The rich mid-palate is accented by toasty oak, and followed by a long, crisp, mineral finish.
- Item #: i_238390Bottle Size: 750mlThe grapes for the J. Lohr Estates Flume Crossing Sauvignon Blanc are grown in the well-drained, sandy, cobblestone soils deposited by the Arroyo Seco River. These rugged soils keep yields in check and produce fruit with varietal intensity, minerality, and exceptional weight. The long cool growing season of the Arroyo Seco appellation ensures that the fleeting, exotic fruit flavors of Sauvignon Blanc are retained along with vibrant natural acidity. The Flume Crossing Sauvignon Blanc is created to be an expression of pure varietal character, influenced only by its terroir and gently guided by minimal farming and winemaking practices.
Winemaker's Notes: "The 2017 Flume Crossing Sauvignon Blanc is pale yellow in color, highlighted by aromas of honeysuckle and daffodil, bell pepper, fresh herbs, and lime. Barrel aging this wine in acacia wood results in a rich texture and a long finish."
- Item #: i_239580Bottle Size: 750mlThe only thing missing from this Sauvignon Blanc is the beach! Aromas of fresh pineapple and gardenia blossoms will surely take you in that direction. Juicy fruit is a continuing theme with apricot, honeydew melon and ruby grapefruit. A ripe entry is full on the palate with a bright, clean finish. Enjoy with a plate of freshly shucked oysters or a bucket of mussels in coconut broth while you sink your toes in the sand.
- Item #: i_240470Bottle Size: 750mlAromas of key lime pie, white nectarine, pink grapefruit, honey crisp apples, white melon, lemon zest and lemon verbena tea, with hints of cherimoya. A crisp, textural mouthfeel with bright acidity, the addition of Semillon gives a smooth texture, with a nice lingering finish. There is a slight flint element that comingles with stone fruit and wet river rock.
- Item #: i_248010Bottle Size: 750mlOvid Vineyards is one of the true new "cult kids on the street". Ovid's vineyards are located in the Vaca Mountains, on the eastern side of the Napa Valley. More specifically, the property is located in the area locals call "Pritchard Hill", which is were other notable producers reside, such as Chappellet, Continuum, David Arthur, Nine Suns, and Bryant Family The vineyards are meticulously maintained by David Abreu, and the wines are made by Austin Petersen.
As Ovid has continued their exploration of the vast diversity that California has to offer, Ovid is increasingly drawn to the cooler climates. These wines offer vibrancy, freshness and clean delineation that engage both curiosity and palate. In this pursuit, Ovid has ventured to the far northern tip of Mendocino County — a wild and ruggedly beautiful place. It is from this verdant region that they found the newest contributors to the blend: Marsanne and Picpoul Blanc, varieties that bring sonorous white floral aromatics, lemon zest and vivacity.
A blend of Sauvignon Blanc, Brenache Blanc, Albarino, Roussanne, Picpoul Blanc, Viognier, Vermentino, and Marsanne, these new elements add lift to the chorus of guava, cassis bud, pear, white peach, rosemary and brioche. Rich and lively on the palate, this wine is a graceful expression of imagination set free.
- Item #: i_252320Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93Like the vineyards of Graves (the source of much-celebrated Bordeaux Blanc and the model for this wine), the vines are planted in gravely soil along the bank of Dry Creek. The Alder Grove provides shaded habitat for spawning fish, and the trees' roots nourish the soils in which the grapes for this wine are grown. Pictured on the label is an Alder catkin, the tree's flower that emerges just as Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon berries first form in Quivira's organically farmed estate vineyard.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "A complex note of dried honeysuckle and a whiff of smoke add intrigue and depth to the core of succulent peach, melon and mango flavors, set on a medium body, with a fresh frame. Shows wonderful purity of fruit and nuances that linger effortlessly. Drink now. 1,370 cases made."
- Item #: i_262635Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleIn addition to their Estate grown Cabernet Sauvignons that have garnered 100-point scores, Spottswoode always produces one of our favorite Sauvignon Blancs out of California! In addition to their own estate Sauvignon Blanc, Spottswoode gets grapes from other noteworthy vineyards, such as Hyde and Stagecoach, and a handful of others, and also utilizes the Musque clone of Sauvignon Blanc. Spottswoode's method of fermentation (using a combination of small stainless barrels, French oak and concrete eggs) means that they manage up to 200 individual fermentations each year. This technique results in a complex, rich, and vibrant wine that stands well on its own, pairs beautifully with food, and is further enhanced with a bit of cellaring.
Winemaker's Notes: "In a vintage of such extreme heat, we were able to craft a wine that is ripe and textured, yet still retains its freshness—a notable achievement! The wine is mouthcoating and viscous, with a balancing acid tension and great mouth-watering juiciness. The beauty is there aromatically, with an initial impression of lime zest, lemon pith, and citrus blossom. It then opens to white peach, nectarine, mandarin, cream, with hints of vanilla and lime curd, both on the nose and on the palate. Rich and texturally enticing, with great balance and length."
- Item #: i_247970Bottle Size: 750mlThe flavor profile is trademark Star Lane: fennel, citrus, and hints of pear emerge from the glass. The mouth feel enters with some breadth and substance which is hung on a tight wire of fresh structure that leads a clean, long finish.
- Item #: i_266280Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90James Suckling: 90JAMES SUCKLING 90 POINTS - "Green apples, limes and freshly squeezed lemons. Light to medium body, fresh acidity and a bright finish.'
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Lip-smacking and juicy, offering a sophisticated blend of pear, melon and citrus flavors, along with lemon verbena and fresh ginger details that linger on the smooth, clean, fresh finish."
- Item #: i_272270Bottle Size: 750MLWhitehall Lane is known for a Bordelaise style, fruit forward and crisp Sauvignon Blanc. On the nose, it evokes fresh Bartlett pears, white flowers, Golden Deliciouys apples, crushed limestone, lime zest, and a touch of brioche. Though crisp up front, the mid-palate offers a mediom-bodied texture to the wine. Its flavors include fresh melon, stewed pears, baked apple crumble, nectarines, toasted walnuts, and a hint of fresh croissant. The finish has a beautiful length with fresh acidity and subtle toasty notes.