Sauvignon Blanc is a green-skinned grape variety that originates from the Bordeaux region of France. The grape most likely gets its name from the French words sauvage ("wild") and blanc ("white") due to its early origins as an indigenous grape in South West France. Sauvignon Blanc is planted in many of the world's wine regions, producing a crisp, dry, and refreshing white varietal wine. The grape is also a component of the famous dessert wines from Sauternes and Barsac. Sauvignon Blanc is widely cultivated in France, Chile, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Washington and California. Some New World Sauvignon blancs, particularly from California, may also be called "Fume Blanc". Depending on the climate, the flavor can range from aggressively grassy to sweetly tropical. In cooler climates, the grape has a tendency to produce wines with noticeable acidity and "green flavors" of grass, green bell peppers and nettles with some tropical fruit (such as passion fruit) and floral (such as elderflower) notes. In warmer climates, it can develop more tropical fruit notes but risk losing a lot of aromatics from over-ripeness, leaving only slight grapefruit and tree fruit (such as peach) notes.
- Item #: i_277019Bottle Size: 750mlPineapple, maybe lemon stands out on the nose. On the palette, unusually buttery for a sauvignon, making for a unique feel.
- Item #: i_262637Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleIn addition to their Estate grown Cabernet Sauvignons that have garnered 100-point scores, Spottswoode always produces one of our favorite Sauvignon Blancs out of California! In addition to their own estate Sauvignon Blanc, Spottswoode gets grapes from other noteworthy vineyards, such as Hyde and Stagecoach, and a handful of others, and also utilizes the Musque clone of Sauvignon Blanc. Spottswoode's method of fermentation (using a combination of small stainless barrels, French oak and concrete eggs) means that they manage up to 200 individual fermentations each year. This technique results in a complex, rich, and vibrant wine that stands well on its own, pairs beautifully with food, and is further enhanced with a bit of cellaring.
Winemaker's Notes: "In a vintage of such extreme heat, we were able to craft a wine that is ripe and textured, yet still retains its freshness—a notable achievement! The wine is mouthcoating and viscous, with a balancing acid tension and great mouth-watering juiciness. The beauty is there aromatically, with an initial impression of lime zest, lemon pith, and citrus blossom. It then opens to white peach, nectarine, mandarin, cream, with hints of vanilla and lime curd, both on the nose and on the palate. Rich and texturally enticing, with great balance and length."
- Item #: i_264450Bottle Size: 750mlThis is a well-balanced and refreshing Sauvignon Blanc with pale yellow hues sparked by hints of green. Expressive aromas of passion fruit, pink grapefruit and lime are rich and enticing with a touch of caper. On the palate, flavors of grapefruit and lime zest come together with passion fruit to create an intense and delicious wine.
- Item #: i_266280Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90James Suckling: 90JAMES SUCKLING 90 POINTS - "Green apples, limes and freshly squeezed lemons. Light to medium body, fresh acidity and a bright finish.'
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Lip-smacking and juicy, offering a sophisticated blend of pear, melon and citrus flavors, along with lemon verbena and fresh ginger details that linger on the smooth, clean, fresh finish."
- Item #: i_270300Bottle Size: 750mlAromatics of grapefruit, guava and melon. Exhibiting lively citrus notes with zest of Meyer Lemon with bright, focused fruit flavors balanced with minerality. Crisp and lively, with medium body and a focused finish.
- Item #: i_275433Bottle Size: 750MLSauvignon Blanc is among the world's most popular white wine varietals, with strikingly different expressions in California than the wines produced in Sancerre or New Zealand. The telltale signature of Twomey Sauvignon Blanc is its bright tropical fruit expression and fresh mineral character.
- Item #: i_272270Bottle Size: 750MLWhitehall Lane is known for a Bordelaise style, fruit forward and crisp Sauvignon Blanc. On the nose, it evokes fresh Bartlett pears, white flowers, Golden Deliciouys apples, crushed limestone, lime zest, and a touch of brioche. Though crisp up front, the mid-palate offers a mediom-bodied texture to the wine. Its flavors include fresh melon, stewed pears, baked apple crumble, nectarines, toasted walnuts, and a hint of fresh croissant. The finish has a beautiful length with fresh acidity and subtle toasty notes.