- Item #: i_201110Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2016 A to Z Oregon Pinot Noir highlights the ripeness and concentration of the vintage with an uncommon grace and style. The compelling nose opens with vibrant notes of blackberry, blueberry, black cherry, raspberry, strawberry, red current, plum, thyme, sage and baking spices. The scents are lifted by lingering rose petal and violet aromas, while deeper notes of graphite, leather, and pipe tobacco bring depth.
- Item #: i_275877Bottle Size: 750mlAlma Rosa can be translated from Spanish to English to literally mean the "Soul of the Rose." Alma Rosa Winery and Vineyards was founded in 2005 by Sta. Rita Hills pioneer winegrowers Thekla and Richard Sanford.
Bright nose, with dusty raspberry, sage and thyme, laced with butterscotch and light-toast coffee bean cues from the French oak barrels. Flavors of ripe raspberry, red cherry and baking spices are lifted by the fresh acid backbone. On the palate, it is focused and medium-bodied, with fine grip from the seed tannin
- Item #: i_207250Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Mills Vineyard, from own-rooted vines, is one of the more open-knit wines in this range. Soft and gracious, with medium-bodied structure, the 2016 is nicely understated, but it also does not have the layered quality found in so many wines. Overall though, the Mills feels a bit stressed, an impression that is reinforced by the dried fruit, tobacco and licorice flavors. I would prefer to drink it sooner rather than later."
- Item #: i_207850Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleCrafted using grapes from a handful of the finest vineyards on the Central Coast, this alluring wine offers lovely aromatics, soft, velvety tannins and vibrant fruit. On the palate, layers of Bing cherry, wild strawberry and sassafras are underscored by hints of white pepper and baking spices that add nuance and complexity to a long, lush finish.
- Item #: i_234270Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 90Julia's Vineyard, named for Julia Jackson in 1988, consists of ancient soils with fossilized seashells, shale, limestone and sand, with fog-swept vines that have endured since the 1970s. This unique piece of land thrives in the cool, maritime influences that funnel in from the Pacific Ocean, allowing for the longest growing season in the state.
ANTONIO GALLONI 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Julia's Vineyard is a terrific entry-level offering from Cambria. Gracious, perfumed and silky, with lovely aromatic top notes and lively fruit, the 2016 has a lot to offer. Sweet red cherry, crushed flowers and earthy notes develop nicely in a wine that offers terrific quality for the money."
- Item #: i_214060Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94When Tom Dehlinger planted the property’s initial 14 acres in 1975, he was one of the first winemakers to revive western Sonoma County as a winegrowing region after Prohibition. In these pioneering days of Russian River Valley winemaking, fewer people were involved in the industry, and knowledge, resources, facilities, and equipment were primitive or hard to find. But over time, with trial and error, and some blind luck, the Dehlingers and others came to realize the promise of the Russian River Valley climate and the potential of some of its better hillside soils and locations.
The property is comprised of two distinctly different soil types. They have the more common Goldridge soils, but they also have the uniquelyprized Altamont series of soil. Altamont is somewhat shallow (just a few feet deep), and it holds less water than Goldridge, but its higher clay content is conducive to a slow extraction of water over a long period of dry summer growth. This means the vines produce less fruit, yet the grapes have more intense flavors. Dehlinger is one of the blue-chip labels in the Russian River Valley, and they are not easily found. In fact, it has taken us years to be able to secure enough wine to feature them on our list, and this beauty has earned a noteworthy 94-point score from Antonio Galloni!
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Altamont is a dense, beautifully resonant wine. Next to the Goldridge, the Altamont has quite a bit more textural depth and overall intensity. Super-ripe dark cherry, plum, rose petal, mint and blood orange all run through this expressive, pliant Pinot Noir. Today, the 2016 is quite forbidding. I would give it a few years in the cellar to fully come together. The 8% whole clusters add aromatic top notes, but aren't especially noticeable."
- Item #: i_215515Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 93Dierberg has been on a roll the past few years! Other wineries have sourced fruit from this prominent vineyard and received high scores for their superbly crafted wines. Dierberg still sells much of their fruit, but they have begun to keep some of the better sections for themselves. That being said, their own label hasn't skipped a beat, and is receiving the same high scores as their customers!
Located 13 miles from the Pacific Ocean in one of the coolest wine-growing corners of California's Central Coast, Dierberg Vineyard is on the western edge of Santa Barbara County's Santa Maria Valley appellation, which is world-renowned for Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Their vineyard is planted to newer "Dijon" clones, as well as other "heritage clones"; heritage clones whose roots go back to the Burgundy area of France, offering a clonal diversity unlike almost any other Pinot vineyard in California.
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the 2016 Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard comes from the estate vineyard in the Santa Maria Valley and was 75% destemmed and aged 10 months in 25% new French oak. Ruby/purple-hued, with notes of raspberries, Asian spice, forest floor, and crushed flowers, it's medium-bodied and has a rounded, elegant texture, beautiful purity, and a great finish. It's a clean, classy, impeccably put together Pinot Noir to drink over the coming 7-8 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard aged 14 months in 35% new French oak. It's medium ruby with wonderful, layered perfume: dried rose petals, crushed herbs, woodsmoke, cranberry sauce, warm earth, red cherry preserves and hints of raspberries and orange peel. Light to medium-bodied, it offers delicate, layered intensity, a sturdy frame of grainy tannins and seamlessly woven acidity, finishing very long. Lovely! 1,700 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard is plush and inviting, with soft curves and plenty of immediacy. Dark red/purplish berry fruit, lavender, spice and rose petal all meld together in this attractive, fruity Pinot. Supple and forward, the 2016 will drink well pretty much upon release. The 25% whole clusters are not especially evident, at least not today."
- Item #: i_216310Bottle Size: 750mlMount Eden has a long and glorious history. Originally planted by a man named Martin Ray, many of the original Mount Eden Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays are some of the best renditions California has ever produced! Flash-forward to the present, and the wines are just as good as they always were. In addition to their estate wines, they produce a second wine called Domaine Eden. Sourced from a well-maintained vineyard just one mile away from their estate, Mount Eden utilizes the same exacting methods for their estate wines: natural indigenous fermentations (both primary and secondary), French Burgundy barrels, no fining, filtration or any other manipulation. This bottling is bigger and more full-bodied than its more expensive sibling, but is still distinctively Burgundian in its profile.
- Item #: i_216340Bottle Size: 750mlMade from the oldest Pinot Noir vines on their estate, originally planted by Dr. Konstantin Frank in 1957, this is a complex yet delicate red wine with notes of sour cherry and strawberry followed by forest floor, smoke and clove.
- Item #: i_218760Bottle Size: 750MLDid you catch that?...Pinot Noir from Rutherford? In a part of the valley that is world-renowned for Cabernet Sauvignon, Reg Oliver found a spot that was a bit cooler that it's surroundings, and thought Pinot Noir would be the ticket… and right he was! Planted using old-school cuttings from DRC, Swan and Calera, as well as a few new Dijon clones, this is has become one of our favorite Pinot Noirs from California!
Red cherry and raspberry dominate the aromatics of this 2015 Pinot Noir, showcasing classic baking spices, truggle, and orange rind with mineral notes in the background. The palate is fresh but powerful from ripe tannins and lovely acid balance. The combination of the excellent structure and rich, plush mouthfeel promises a wine of great longevity, if you can bring yourself to tuck a few bottles away.
- Item #: i_223075Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "Our 2016 Hallberg Ranch Pinot is pure, elegant, layered and complex. Our unique dry-farming methods allow the grapes to develop beautifully full flavors without becoming overripe. This vineyard has been thoughtfully planted with 11 different clones of Pinot Noir which creates a lovely layered complexity to the wine. Our 2016 Hallberg Ranch is reminiscent of a warm black cherry tart dusted with cinnamon. There are hints of caramelized sugar and freshly toasted almonds. The wine is driven by dark spices and earth, with a sturdy frame from fine-grained tannins. All of these elements seamlessly combine to create the distinctive wine that is Hallberg Ranch."
- Item #: i_218960Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Vinous Media: 91Italian immigrant Antonio Romanini planted this vineyard, his first in Sonoma Valley, in 1954. Since then, the alluvial soils have yielded grapes for perfect Pinot Noir: vines with compact clusters and smaller yields. The vineyard comprises mostly Pommard and Calera Clones on 101-14 rootstock. The fruit intensity from this site is influenced by the nearby Carneros climate and the growing season’s cool nights and warm days. Adding to the provenance is the fact that this vineyard is farmed by the "grandfather" of organic and biodynamic vineyard farming in California, Phil Coturri, and his team at Enterprise Vineyards.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Romanini Vineyard The Engineer has a very pretty nose of violet and lilac with autumn leaves, dusty earth, fresh tobacco and savory red fruits. Medium-bodied with nuanced red and blue fruits and earthy notions in the mouth, it's softly textured with grainy tannins and finishes minerally. 142 cases produced."
- Item #: i_228500Bottle Size: 750mlAs a fifteen-year veteran of the Oregon wine industry, Drew Voit is intimately familiar with exceptional vineyard sites. While serving as the Associate Winemaker at Domaine Serene Winery, and then as Winemaker for Shea Wine Cellars, he worked with some of the best vineyards in the Willamette Valley. Harper Voit is the logical progression of that work: seeking out great sites, excellent fruit, and long-term relationships with growers.
- Item #: i_267960Bottle Size: 750MLThe vineyards for this wine are all located in the heart of the Russian River Valley, approximately 15-18 miles from the Pacific Ocean. They represent a variety of soil types, viticultural practices and clonal selections, but each carries the overiding characteristics of the best of the Russian River Valley. The blend varies from year to year. This year it includes wine from the Trenton Estate Vineyard, Trenton View, Saralee's, Catie's Corner, Ritchie, Solas, DNA, and Great Oak.
Aroma: Spring time in the forest, flowers and new growth along with wild berries. In the mouth, more structure and tannic than previous vintages, but still supple. Flavors of wild dark berries and cardamons. Typical of the 2016 vintage for Russian River Valley pinots noirs, darker fruits with a bit more muscle. Seriously good juice.
- Item #: i_270590Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94Nicolas-Jay is a Pinot Noir winery located in the heart of Oregon's Willamette Valley. Celebrated Burgundian winemaker, Jean-Nicolas Meo of Domaine Meo-Camuzet, and renowned music and media entrepreneur, Jay Boberg, lend their individual talents and shared dedication to the winery, where traditional French winemaking meets Oregonian terroir.
The fruit for this wine is sourced from several distinctive AVA's in the Willamette Valley, ensuring optimal blending potential and representation of the diversity of Pinot Noir in the appellation. Unique sites include vineyards located in the high-elevation Eola-Amity Hills, the foothills of the cool coastal range in the McMinnville AVA, the warm red-soiled vineyards of the Dundee Hills and their expressive Bishop Creek Vineyard in the Yamhill-Carlton AVA. This wine is sourced almost exclusively from biodynamic, organic and LIVE certified vineyards.
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Precise, deeply structured yet graceful, with expressive black cherry, river stone and black tea accents that build richness toward refined tannins. Drink now through 2024. 3,000 cases made."
- Item #: i_250510Bottle Size: 750mlThey focus on cool-climate Pinot Noir from Green Valley, the coldest region of the famed Russian River Valley. Fog flows from the Pacific Coast along the Russian River and through the Petaluma Wind Gap, converging on this small area. Orogeny's grapes are grown on five small vineyards, each only five to ten acres, which were selected to display the bright fruit characteristics of classic Green Valley Pinot Noir. Their limited size permits Orogeny to use hands-on farming techniques. The vines are planted on ridges in Gold Ridge soils, a mix of sandy loam over sandstone and clay. These sites provide excellent drainage, which promotes even ripening and concentrated flavors.
- Item #: i_252945Bottle Size: 1.5LRaen is a new project put out by Carlo and Dante Mondavi, grandsons of the famed Robert Mondavi. Carlo and Dante are fourth generation vintners born and raised in Napa Valley who "cut their teeth" working under Tim Mondavi at the Robert Mondavi Winery as well as Opus One. The two brothers credit their dad Tim for the passion they share for Pinot Noir, as Tim is a big Burgundy fan and was a pioneer for California Pinot Noir through the '70s. Raen's Sonoma Coast bottling has been named Royal St. Robert Cuvee, in the honor of Carlo and Dante Mondavi's grandfather (Robert Mondavi) who taught them to be committed to excellence.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Pale to medium ruby-purple colored, the 2016 Pinot Noir Royal St. Robert struts a super savory nose of chargrilled meats, yeast extract, wood smoke and forest floor with a core of wild strawberries, raspberry tart and cranberries plus touches of dried Provence herbs and truffles. The medium-bodied palate reveals a chewy frame with seamless acid supporting a great core of expressive, earthy layers culminating in a long, mineral-laced finish."
- Item #: i_256370Bottle Size: 750MLRouteStock Cellars crafts wines from the signature varietals grown along the wine routes one travels when visiting the world's most celebrated wine regions. Cinnamon, clove, rose petal, tobacco and ripe raspberry aromas lead to a mouth of fresh red cherry, sasparilla, and a focused middle of high-toned fruit leading to a spicy finish and fine tannins. Made for RouteStock Cellars by our friends at Ponzi Vineyards.
- Item #: i_268210Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Estate is the larger production red from this team, yet it certainly gives a good view into the quality coming from the Hilt wines. Black cherries, black raspberries, graphite, peppery herbs, and underbrush notes flow to a medium-bodied, supple, beautifully layered Pinot Noir that has ripe, present tannins, plenty of mid-palate flesh, and remarkable purity. Drink it any time over the coming 7-8 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The Hilt's 2016 Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills is excellent, wafting from the glass with an exciting bouquet of dark wild berry fruits, licorice, rich soil, rose hip and orange peel. On the palate, the wine is medium-bodied, bright and expansive, with velvety tannins and a crunchy core of primary fruit, its bright line of acidity carrying through to the mouthwatering finish."