Pinot Noir is a red wine grape variety of the species Vitis vinifera. Pinot Noir grapes are grown around the world, mostly in the cooler regions, but the grape is chiefly associated with the Burgundy region of France. Other regions that have gained a reputation for Pinot Noir include the Willamette Valley of Oregon, the Carneros, Central Coast and Russian River AVAs of California, the Walker Bay wine region of South Africa, Tasmania and Yarra Valley in Australia and the Central Otago, Martinborough and Marlborough wine regions of New Zealand. Pinot Noir is also a primary variety used in sparkling wine production in Champagne and other wine regions. It is widely considered to produce some of the finest wines in the world, but is a difficult variety to cultivate and transform into wine. The grape's tendency to produce tightly packed clusters makes it susceptible to several viticultural hazards involving rot that require diligent canopy management. The thin-skins and low levels of phenolic compounds lends Pinot to producing mostly lightly colored, medium bodied low tannin wines that can often go through dumb phases with uneven and unpredictable aging. When young, wines made from Pinot Noir tend to have red fruit aromas of cherries, raspberries and strawberries. As the wines age, Pinots have the potential to develop vegetal and "barnyard" aromas that can contribute to the complexity of the wine.
- Item #: i_216060Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Chamisal was the first vineyard planted in the Edna Valley in 1973 and now contains 80 acres planted to 5 varieties and 25 clonal selections. The nearby Pacific ocean creates a long temperate growing season for exceptional hang time, which combines with the calcareous, clay-rich soil to produce fruit with exceptional intensity and complex flavors.
The Morrito bottling is a barrel selection of the best Pinot Noir at Chamisal. Harvested in the early morning from Morrito Hill, these small lots are fermented separately in small open-top fermenters. A pre-fermentation cold soak of three days was used to increase color and density. Fermentation was achieved using a combination of both native and cultured yeasts with low fermentation temperatures, giving soft phenolics and fresh aromatics. Minimal pump-overs prevent extracting harsh tannins and bitterness from what Chamisal considers some of the most concentrated fruit on their ranch.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Pale to medium ruby-purple in color, the 2015 Pinot Noir Morrito conjures notions of ripe red cherries, warm cranberries and red currants with touches of underbrush, lavender, garrigue and fertile loam. Medium-bodied, with a great core of intense red berry and earth layers, it has a firm, chewy tannic backbone and long, lively finish laced with mineral accents."
- Item #: i_210780Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 93 POINTS - "(50% new French oak) Vivid red. Primary red and blue fruit scents, along with hints of cola, vanilla and smoky Indian spices. Fleshy and appealingly sweet, offering intense black raspberry and boysenberry flavors underscored by a vein of juicy acidity. A sexy floral note emerges on the strikingly long, energetic finish, which features rounded tannins and lingering five-spice powder and candied rose notes."
- Item #: i_212280Bottle Size: 750MLPinot Noir was first planted at Stanly Ranch in the 1940s, when a clonal trial proved the ranch's well-drained day-loam soils and rolling hills ideal for growing the finicky varietal. The vineyard has been significantly refined over the years, and Stanly Ranch is now one of the most sought-after vineyards for Pinot Noir in California.
Winery's Tasting Notes: "Pristine growing conditions in the Carneros wine region resulted in another beautiful representation of Stanly Ranch in 2015. Acidity and brightness are the building blocks of this wine, with aromas of tart cherry and cranberry revealing dried rose petal and forest floor notes. Fine-grained tannins, rich texture and spirited acidity poise the wine around a core of bright red fruit. The finish lingers with the lavender and rose petal notes quintessential to Carneros Pinot Noir."
- Item #: i_218760Bottle Size: 750MLDid you catch that?...Pinot Noir from Rutherford? In a part of the valley that is world-renowned for Cabernet Sauvignon, Reg Oliver found a spot that was a bit cooler that it's surroundings, and thought Pinot Noir would be the ticket… and right he was! Planted using old-school cuttings from DRC, Swan and Calera, as well as a few new Dijon clones, this is has become one of our favorite Pinot Noirs from California!
Red cherry and raspberry dominate the aromatics of this 2015 Pinot Noir, showcasing classic baking spices, truggle, and orange rind with mineral notes in the background. The palate is fresh but powerful from ripe tannins and lovely acid balance. The combination of the excellent structure and rich, plush mouthfeel promises a wine of great longevity, if you can bring yourself to tuck a few bottles away.
- Item #: i_218960Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Italian immigrant Antonio Romanini planted this vineyard, his first in Sonoma Valley, in 1954. Since then, the alluvial soils have yielded grapes for perfect Pinot Noir: vines with compact clusters and smaller yields. The vineyard comprises mostly Pommard and Calera Clones on 101-14 rootstock. The fruit intensity from this site is influenced by the nearby Carneros climate and the growing season’s cool nights and warm days. Adding to the provenance is the fact that this vineyard is farmed by the "grandfather" of organic and biodynamic vineyard farming in California, Phil Coturri, and his team at Enterprise Vineyards.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2015 Pinot Noir Romanini Vineyard "The Engineer" is pale ruby-purple colored and intensely scented of crushed cranberries, wild strawberries and pomegranate with touches of rhubarb, tilled soil and truffles. Light-bodied with incredible intensity and perfume, it features very soft, fine-grained tannins and wonderful freshness, finishing long and minerally. 195 cases were made."
- Item #: i_267960Bottle Size: 750MLTasting notes: A blend of wine from Trenton Estate, Trenton View, Saralee’s, Catie’s Corner, Ritchie, and Great Oak. Brilliant garnet/ruby color. A potpourri of red fruit with a hint of ripe herbal notes on the nose. Although it was aged in approximately 1/3 new oak the oak is not at all apparent. In the mouth it is soft yet softly structured with ample acidity and only the faintest hint of tannin. Pretty red fruits are in evidence in the long finish. Another C 3 we are very proud of!
- Item #: i_251370Bottle Size: 750mlOn the nose this wine offers aromas of cherry cola and freshly picked wild strawberries with a lingering scent of lightly oiled rosewood. On the palate it shows the classic Santa Maria sandalwood spice, mixed with ripe red and black cherry, strawberry and huckleberry.
- Item #: i_251730Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "Aromas of ripe raspberry and black cherry are accentuated by crushed Mediterranean herbs of lavender, sage, rosemary and black tea. On the palate, dusty tannins are woven into hints of roasted coffee. Mouthwatering acidity is balanced by almond sweetness"
- Item #: i_260210Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2015 Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard is a total knock-out. Rich, explosive and forward, the 2015 possesses striking fruit intensity and purity in every dimension. Dark red and bluish-hued fruits and ripe, silky tannins add to the wine's immediacy. This is an especially plush style for Rhys, but it works beautifully. The 2015 will be even better in another few years, but it will prove virtually impossible to resist young."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "There are two wines from the Bearwallow Vineyard in Anderson Valley, which is in the northern part of California, in Mendocino County, roughly 15 miles from the Pacific Ocean. The larger production 2015 Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard offers a classic bouquet of ripe red fruits and dried cherries, loads of spice and earth, medium-bodied richness, and a terrific savoriness that keeps you coming back to the glass. It's another wine from this estate that blossoms with time in the glass, is impeccably balanced and will impressive for 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_261770Bottle Size: 750MLThis vintage of Robert Sinskey Vineyards' Los Carneros Pinot Noir excites the senses the moment it hits the glass. Rich, classic Carneros Pinot Noir notes of perfectly ripened raspberry, bing cherry, rhubarb, strawberry jam, rose and forest herbs…a true interpretation of the year's dry, warm conditions. The first sip reveals a wine with an Old World soul that is food-friendly with an age-worthy structure. It is balanced by a New World preciseness that highlights the impeccable red fruit. The fruit feels more fresh and textured than the aromas would suggest with crisp cranberry, pomegranate and blood orange adding lift to a bright and juicy mid-palate that leads to a long finish marked by the balance of savory, complex, supple-tannins and mouth-watering brightness.
- Item #: i_222140Bottle Size: 750mlThee Two Sisters wines are named after Bill and Carol Foley's daughters Lindsay and Courtney. The wines come from the best blocks of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir from Lindsay's and Courtney's vineyards in the Sta. Rita Hills AVA. These limited-production bottlings feature heritage, heirloom and select clones chosen specifically for their inherent attributes and compatibility with the terroir of each vineyard block.
This limited production Reserve 2015 is an elegant, sophisticated wine for the true Pinot Noir connoisseur. The nose is filled with dark fruit notes of spicy plum, earthy pomegranate and cacao. Intense black pepper and juicy blackberry flavors fill the palate with accents of cured tobacco. The nicely structured mouthfeel is followed by lingering black cherry on the finish.
- Item #: i_273520Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Shows precision and expression, with refined black cherry and blueberry flavors accented by crushed stone and dark spice notes, building complexity toward polished tannins. Drink now through 2024. 412 cases made. "