Pinot Noir is a red wine grape variety of the species Vitis vinifera. Pinot Noir grapes are grown around the world, mostly in the cooler regions, but the grape is chiefly associated with the Burgundy region of France. Other regions that have gained a reputation for Pinot Noir include the Willamette Valley of Oregon, the Carneros, Central Coast and Russian River AVAs of California, the Walker Bay wine region of South Africa, Tasmania and Yarra Valley in Australia and the Central Otago, Martinborough and Marlborough wine regions of New Zealand. Pinot Noir is also a primary variety used in sparkling wine production in Champagne and other wine regions. It is widely considered to produce some of the finest wines in the world, but is a difficult variety to cultivate and transform into wine. The grape's tendency to produce tightly packed clusters makes it susceptible to several viticultural hazards involving rot that require diligent canopy management. The thin-skins and low levels of phenolic compounds lends Pinot to producing mostly lightly colored, medium bodied low tannin wines that can often go through dumb phases with uneven and unpredictable aging. When young, wines made from Pinot Noir tend to have red fruit aromas of cherries, raspberries and strawberries. As the wines age, Pinots have the potential to develop vegetal and "barnyard" aromas that can contribute to the complexity of the wine.
- Item #: i_201020Bottle Size: 750mlPrisme is the truest expression of the Pinot Noir grape. Anne Amie selects only their finest blocks of Pinot noir and gently press the grapes, liberating the free run juice, but not the color or tannins from the skins. It is then barrel-fermented, and aged on its lees in French oak barrels for 18 months. This structured white wine has a backbone of acidity, a voluptuous mid-palate and along, creamy finish. Prismé is named after the word prism - the splitting of white light into its corresponding colors. Anne Amie is doing precisely that in reverse, making a rich, textured white wine from Pinot noir.
The Prisme starts with 100% Pinot noir free run juice that is settled and racked into barrels. It is entirely barrel-fermented in French oak puncheons; lees stirred, allowed partial malolactic fermentation (around 80%) and then aged on its lees for 18 months before bottling.
The aromas is this wine begin with baked apples, fennel, vanilla bean, elderflower, cardamom, candied ginger, creme brulee, then moves to flavors of ripe pears, graham cracker, nutmeg, lemon meringue, and ripe fig, with a lingering finished laced with creamy acidity.
- Item #: i_228650Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR'S #45 WINE OF 2018!
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Epitomizes fine Sierra Foothills Zinfandel, offering vibrant, briary raspberry, smoked pepper and wild sweet anise flavors that stretch out on the zesty finish. Drink now through 2023. 6,200 cases made."
- Item #: i_228560Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes: "The complex aromas of dried cherry, blackberry bramble, orange peel, cherry tobacco, cedar, sandalwood, cardamom, pink peppercorn and forest floor give a decidedly autumn impression. Amazingly silky across the palate with sweet red fruits on the mid-palate, plenty of fine textured tannins and a long toasty finish. This is one of the most elegant and approachable Hanzell Vineyards Pinot Noirs in recent memory."
- Item #: i_228610Bottle Size: 750mlAs a fifteen-year veteran of the Oregon wine industry, Drew Voit is intimately familiar with exceptional vineyard sites. While serving as the Associate Winemaker at Domaine Serene Winery, and then as Winemaker for Shea Wine Cellars, he worked with some of the best vineyards in the Willamette Valley. Harper Voit is the logical progression of that work: seeking out great sites, excellent fruit, and long-term relationships with growers.
At 800 ft above sea level, Antiquum (Latin for "old ways") pushes the limits of pinot noir. Due to the site's unique elevation, exceptionally well-drained and nutrient deficient Bellpine soil, and substantial diurnal shift, the pinot here is unlike any other. It produces what farmer Stephen Hagen describes as the perfect balance of depth, power, structure and finesse. Dry farmed using old school methods in a closed farm system (draft horses, compost, and natural weed suppression), the vineyard is treated as a holistic organism. While the farming is serious, there remains a touch of playfulness with blocks named KRS 1, Grandmaster Flash, and Boogie Down Productions, reflecting a deep appreciation for old school hip hop.
- Item #: i_235400Bottle Size: 750mlHyde Vineyards is one of the best vineyards in Napa Valley's Carneros region. Situated on gently rolling hills, the soil is only about 36 inches deep, and the subsoil is impenetrable clay. Larry Hyde and family fanatically farm this property to ensure only the best grapes are available for wineries, and their clientele list includes Auteur, DuMol, Kistler, Merryvale, Miner, Patz & Hall, and Ramey.
While 2014 was an overall dry growing season, a small amount of rain in late February provided just enough soil moisture for the early growing season. A warm spring and summer led to small clusters and berries, resulting in highly concentrated flavors giving this wine vivid and enticing aromas of Bing cherry, raspberry and pomegranate with a touch of rose petal. The palate is flavorful with layers of dark fruit, spice and forest floor, with well-integrated tannins, supported by bright acidity. Great to drink now or lay down for several years.
- Item #: i_241270Bottle Size: 750mlBlock M is a wind swept mesa on Melville's western parcel adjacent to our Terraces block. Sitting atop a sun exposed mesa with several feet of botella clay soil, the extremity of Block M is enhanced by the gravitational pull on three exposed sides forcing the roots to search deeper for sustenance. Block M is made up of equal amounts of clones 114 and 115. The lesser known 114 is lush, velvety and textural with an elegantly pliant internal core, while clone 115 delivers fruit at a higher pitch coupled with a more structurally pronounced personality. The marriage of these complementary components is what renders Melville's Block M bottling so complete. 20% of the fruit was gently destemmed with 80% remaining as whole clusters.
Boasting a dark crimson hue, the Block M bottling is always layered with richness. Vivid aromatics of rosemary, cinnamon stick and star lily are intertwined with the warmth of ripe persimmon, mulberry and cherry pie filling. Texturally, the wine is crisp and fresh on the palate, with an intense tannin profile that finishes with gorgeous purity and length.
- Item #: i_276710Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 90 POINTS - "Light bright red. Vibrant, smoke-accented red berry scents pick up suggestions of succulent herbs and minerals with air. Juicy, focused and spicy on the palate, offering fresh raspberry and bitter cherry flavors and five-spice powder and smoked meat nuances. Closes long and spicy, displaying resonating red fruit character and smooth tannins."
- Item #: i_249300Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2014 Pinot Noir Chenoweth Ranch is a Russian River cuvée of 1,284 cases. This sees a lot more new oak, at 70%, and a slightly higher percentage of whole-clusters/stems (15%). The Chenoweth Vineyard, which is seven acres in the cool, Green Valley, has produced a wine that displays a deep ruby/purple color, loads of raspberry and black cherry fruit, a hint of cola, baking spices and loamy soil undertones. The wine is lovely, medium to full-bodied, rich and complex. Look for it to drink well for up to a decade."
- Item #: i_260200Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "A striking, expressive wine, the 2014 Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard wraps around the palate with serious intensity. The effect of the drought comes through in the wine's sheer weight and textural breadth. The 40% whole clusters are nearly buried by the sheer intensity of the fruit. Black cherry, mocha, plum, graphite, sage and menthol give the 2014 much of its virile, imposing personality. The clay-rich soils here contribute to the wine's ample, creamy feel. Kevin Harvey adds that this site has been dry farmed for nine years."
- Item #: i_257550Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleThis wine is deep violet red in color and is bursting with raspberry, black cherry, pepper and clove notes. The palate delivers dusty berry flavors framed nicely by bright acidity and supple tannins, and the finish is long and complex.
- Item #: i_276350Bottle Size: 750mlWe strive each year to find a wine for November that will both fit the changing weather patterns and have the ability to stand tall at the Thanksgiving table. Pinot Noir, generally, has enough fruit, acidity and the right temperament to stand up to the stronger flavors of Thanksgiving while not overpowering the bird. This Three Saints 2013 Pinot Noir, in particular, is an ideal wine for the month and the holiday.
Three Saints is named for the three most dynamic wine growing regions in Santa Barbara County: Maria, Rita and Ynez. This 2014 is predominately from their Santa Maria Valley and Sta Rita Hills vineyards, and reflects the generous texture they've found often from their sites.
Red fruits like bright raspberry are evident in both aromas and the palate. While previous vintages have emphasized earthiness, the new vineyard components in this wine have brought more fruit forward without compromising the fresh and classic feel of Santa Barbara County Pinot Noir. Stock up and Reap the harvest!