- Item #: i_201110Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2016 A to Z Oregon Pinot Noir highlights the ripeness and concentration of the vintage with an uncommon grace and style. The compelling nose opens with vibrant notes of blackberry, blueberry, black cherry, raspberry, strawberry, red current, plum, thyme, sage and baking spices. The scents are lifted by lingering rose petal and violet aromas, while deeper notes of graphite, leather, and pipe tobacco bring depth.
- Item #: i_275877Bottle Size: 750mlAlma Rosa can be translated from Spanish to English to literally mean the "Soul of the Rose." Alma Rosa Winery and Vineyards was founded in 2005 by Sta. Rita Hills pioneer winegrowers Thekla and Richard Sanford.
Bright nose, with dusty raspberry, sage and thyme, laced with butterscotch and light-toast coffee bean cues from the French oak barrels. Flavors of ripe raspberry, red cherry and baking spices are lifted by the fresh acid backbone. On the palate, it is focused and medium-bodied, with fine grip from the seed tannin
- Item #: i_210600Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the 2016 Pinot Noir The Coast is drinking beautifully today and offers a complex bouquet of mint laced black cherries, clove, and cinnamon as well as some classic California conifer tree notes. Medium to full-bodied, with outstanding purity of fruit and great balance, drink it over the coming 7-8 years or so."
- Item #: i_207250Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Mills Vineyard, from own-rooted vines, is one of the more open-knit wines in this range. Soft and gracious, with medium-bodied structure, the 2016 is nicely understated, but it also does not have the layered quality found in so many wines. Overall though, the Mills feels a bit stressed, an impression that is reinforced by the dried fruit, tobacco and licorice flavors. I would prefer to drink it sooner rather than later."
- Item #: i_207770Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92After tasting the best Pinot Noir produced in the world (Domaine de la Romanée-Conti), winemaker Josh Jensen scoured the California coast to find Limestone soils (like the have in Burgundy) mixed with the right climate. He found an old limestone quarry perfectly suited to his needs. Since that point in time, Josh has fashioned some of the best Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays you can find in California.
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Ryan Vineyard is a tight, backward wine. Firm tannins give the Ryan a decidedly brooding feel. Smoke, licorice, leather, tobacco and incense emerge with time in the glass, adding to an impression of earthiness and gravitas. This is an especially somber style. More importantly, readers will have to be patient, as the 2016 is tightly wound and in no mood to show all of its cards."
- Item #: i_234270Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 90Julia's Vineyard, named for Julia Jackson in 1988, consists of ancient soils with fossilized seashells, shale, limestone and sand, with fog-swept vines that have endured since the 1970s. This unique piece of land thrives in the cool, maritime influences that funnel in from the Pacific Ocean, allowing for the longest growing season in the state.
ANTONIO GALLONI 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Julia's Vineyard is a terrific entry-level offering from Cambria. Gracious, perfumed and silky, with lovely aromatic top notes and lively fruit, the 2016 has a lot to offer. Sweet red cherry, crushed flowers and earthy notes develop nicely in a wine that offers terrific quality for the money."
- Item #: i_215560Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 94JEB DUNNUCK 94+ POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Sanford and Benedict Vineyard is a brilliant wine that ranks with the creme de la creme of the vintage. Coming from one of the top sites in the Sta. Rita Hills, 70% destemmed, and aged 18 months in 30% new French oak, it has a vivid purple/plum color as well as captivating notes of black cherries, blackberries, ground herbs, forest floor, and scorched earth. With medium-bodied richness, a tight, vibrant, racy texture, and present tannins, it's another wine from this great estate that's going to benefit from 3-4 years of bottle age, and it will see its 15th birthday in fine form. It's the real deal."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "An explosion of red and purplish berry fruit makes for a strong opening in the 2016 Pinot Noir Sanford and Benedict Vineyard. Exuberant, racy and full of flavor, the 2016 offers notable intensity while retaining the mid-weight style that is so typical of the year. This is classic S-and-B Pinot. "
- Item #: i_215515Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 93Dierberg has been on a roll the past few years! Other wineries have sourced fruit from this prominent vineyard and received high scores for their superbly crafted wines. Dierberg still sells much of their fruit, but they have begun to keep some of the better sections for themselves. That being said, their own label hasn't skipped a beat, and is receiving the same high scores as their customers!
Located 13 miles from the Pacific Ocean in one of the coolest wine-growing corners of California's Central Coast, Dierberg Vineyard is on the western edge of Santa Barbara County's Santa Maria Valley appellation, which is world-renowned for Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Their vineyard is planted to newer "Dijon" clones, as well as other "heritage clones"; heritage clones whose roots go back to the Burgundy area of France, offering a clonal diversity unlike almost any other Pinot vineyard in California.
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the 2016 Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard comes from the estate vineyard in the Santa Maria Valley and was 75% destemmed and aged 10 months in 25% new French oak. Ruby/purple-hued, with notes of raspberries, Asian spice, forest floor, and crushed flowers, it's medium-bodied and has a rounded, elegant texture, beautiful purity, and a great finish. It's a clean, classy, impeccably put together Pinot Noir to drink over the coming 7-8 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard aged 14 months in 35% new French oak. It's medium ruby with wonderful, layered perfume: dried rose petals, crushed herbs, woodsmoke, cranberry sauce, warm earth, red cherry preserves and hints of raspberries and orange peel. Light to medium-bodied, it offers delicate, layered intensity, a sturdy frame of grainy tannins and seamlessly woven acidity, finishing very long. Lovely! 1,700 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard is plush and inviting, with soft curves and plenty of immediacy. Dark red/purplish berry fruit, lavender, spice and rose petal all meld together in this attractive, fruity Pinot. Supple and forward, the 2016 will drink well pretty much upon release. The 25% whole clusters are not especially evident, at least not today."
- Item #: i_216310Bottle Size: 750mlMount Eden has a long and glorious history. Originally planted by a man named Martin Ray, many of the original Mount Eden Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays are some of the best renditions California has ever produced! Flash-forward to the present, and the wines are just as good as they always were. In addition to their estate wines, they produce a second wine called Domaine Eden. Sourced from a well-maintained vineyard just one mile away from their estate, Mount Eden utilizes the same exacting methods for their estate wines: natural indigenous fermentations (both primary and secondary), French Burgundy barrels, no fining, filtration or any other manipulation. This bottling is bigger and more full-bodied than its more expensive sibling, but is still distinctively Burgundian in its profile.
- Item #: i_216340Bottle Size: 750mlMade from the oldest Pinot Noir vines on their estate, originally planted by Dr. Konstantin Frank in 1957, this is a complex yet delicate red wine with notes of sour cherry and strawberry followed by forest floor, smoke and clove.
- Item #: i_215930Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93On the nose, the wine is beautifully aromatic, combining notes of ripe, fresh cherry, rasberry, and strawberry jam, along with intense floral notes of hibiscus and orange blossom, baking spices of cardamom, cacao and vanilla, and a touch of fresh herbs (bay leaf, celery leaf). On the palate the wine is medium bodied and silky, with waves of complex ripe red fruits (cherry, raspberry, cranberry) complicated by notes of rhurbarb, fresh herbs and hints of wood smoke. The wine has ample, bright acidity, and sturdy tannins which provide structure, energy and cut on the long smooth finish.
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir (Sta. Rita Hills) is a gorgeous appellation-level wine from Dragonette. Rose petal, lavender, mint, spice and sweet red/purplish berry fruit are all finely knit. More than anything else, the Sta. Rita Hills is a wine of pure and total finesse. I especially like the wine's translucence and energy. Vineyard sources are Bentrock, Radian, La Encantada, Cargasacchi, Spear, Fiddlestix, and John Sebastiano. The 2016 punches well above its weight. Don't miss it."
- Item #: i_218760Bottle Size: 750MLDid you catch that?...Pinot Noir from Rutherford? In a part of the valley that is world-renowned for Cabernet Sauvignon, Reg Oliver found a spot that was a bit cooler that it's surroundings, and thought Pinot Noir would be the ticket… and right he was! Planted using old-school cuttings from DRC, Swan and Calera, as well as a few new Dijon clones, this is has become one of our favorite Pinot Noirs from California!
Red cherry and raspberry dominate the aromatics of this 2015 Pinot Noir, showcasing classic baking spices, truggle, and orange rind with mineral notes in the background. The palate is fresh but powerful from ripe tannins and lovely acid balance. The combination of the excellent structure and rich, plush mouthfeel promises a wine of great longevity, if you can bring yourself to tuck a few bottles away.
- Item #: i_223075Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "Our 2016 Hallberg Ranch Pinot is pure, elegant, layered and complex. Our unique dry-farming methods allow the grapes to develop beautifully full flavors without becoming overripe. This vineyard has been thoughtfully planted with 11 different clones of Pinot Noir which creates a lovely layered complexity to the wine. Our 2016 Hallberg Ranch is reminiscent of a warm black cherry tart dusted with cinnamon. There are hints of caramelized sugar and freshly toasted almonds. The wine is driven by dark spices and earth, with a sturdy frame from fine-grained tannins. All of these elements seamlessly combine to create the distinctive wine that is Hallberg Ranch."
- Item #: i_228500Bottle Size: 750mlAs a fifteen-year veteran of the Oregon wine industry, Drew Voit is intimately familiar with exceptional vineyard sites. While serving as the Associate Winemaker at Domaine Serene Winery, and then as Winemaker for Shea Wine Cellars, he worked with some of the best vineyards in the Willamette Valley. Harper Voit is the logical progression of that work: seeking out great sites, excellent fruit, and long-term relationships with growers.
- Item #: i_228890Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 95Hartford Family Winery was founded in 1994 as a result of Don and Jennifer Hartford's appreciation for the wines, the people, and the unique vineyards near their Russian River Valley home. Located in the Sonoma County town of Forestville, the winery is about 15 miles from the cool Pacific Coast.
Don Hartford grew up on a small strawberry farm in western Massachusetts, and later attended the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. After earning a BA. Don Hartford met his wife, Jennifer Jackson-Hartford, at Santa Clara University in Northern California in 1979. (Shortly thereafter, Jennifer's father, Jess, started a modest 16,000 case winery called Kendall-Jackson.) For more than twenty-five years, Don has been immersed in winemaking and winery management. In the process, Don has returned to one of his first loves—the land and farming.
Hartford Family Winery specializes in making wines from single vineyard sites. In recent vintages we have made about 25 different single vineyard bottlings. Small and low-yielding vineyards deliver expressive and personality-rich wine.
Don Hartford and winemaker Jeff Stewart have produced a sensational lineup of wines in 2015. This is a smaller yielding year, and while quantities are tiny, the wines are concentrated, rich, and flamboyant while also staying elegant and seamless. These are world-class Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays that readers need to seek out!
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Pinot Noir Land’s Edge Vineyards comes from the Seascape and Far Coast vineyard on the Sonoma Coast. It was completely destemmed, spent 11 months in 34% new French oak and was bottled unfined and unfiltered. This beauty offers a darker slant in its black cherries, blackberry, sous bois, spring flowers, and damp earth-like aromas and flavors. These carry to a deep, rich, seamless Pinot Noir that has remarkable purity, a layered texture, and a great finish. It picks up a touch of marine and ocean-like salinity with time in the glass and is a rich, complex, complete Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. Drink it over the coming 8-10 years."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 96 POINTS - "This is comprised of fruit from two coastal sites, but it does not hold back on flavor or complexity. A juicy entry of spicy red and blue fruit is surrounded by moderate structure and an imprint of rose petal. Lasting in intensity and acidity, it's dotted in citrus and polished tannins"
- Item #: i_236930Bottle Size: 750mlThis Estate Vineyard provides Landmark with 93 acres of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Pinot Gris grapes. The vineyard is planted with 4 clones of Chardonnay and 14 clones of Pinot Noir dispersed over 44 separate blocks. With 5 distinctly different vineyard plots based upon elevation, topography and soils and with some vines nearly 30 years old, the complexity of Landmark's Hop Kiln Estate Vineyard is a new source of inspiration for winemaker, Greg Stach, and an incomparable source for top quality fruit for years to come.
Aromas of lush blackberry, raspberry, with a violet floral note. The palate is fresh with bright raspberry and dried strawberry fruit, rich cherry cola and baking spice with a rounded texture and savory, dried autumn leaf notes leading to a fresh finish with balanced round tannins and sustained fruit and spice.
- Item #: i_270590Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94Nicolas-Jay is a Pinot Noir winery located in the heart of Oregon's Willamette Valley. Celebrated Burgundian winemaker, Jean-Nicolas Meo of Domaine Meo-Camuzet, and renowned music and media entrepreneur, Jay Boberg, lend their individual talents and shared dedication to the winery, where traditional French winemaking meets Oregonian terroir.
The fruit for this wine is sourced from several distinctive AVA's in the Willamette Valley, ensuring optimal blending potential and representation of the diversity of Pinot Noir in the appellation. Unique sites include vineyards located in the high-elevation Eola-Amity Hills, the foothills of the cool coastal range in the McMinnville AVA, the warm red-soiled vineyards of the Dundee Hills and their expressive Bishop Creek Vineyard in the Yamhill-Carlton AVA. This wine is sourced almost exclusively from biodynamic, organic and LIVE certified vineyards.
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Precise, deeply structured yet graceful, with expressive black cherry, river stone and black tea accents that build richness toward refined tannins. Drink now through 2024. 3,000 cases made."
- Item #: i_247750Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 92The soils of Kick On Vineyard are composed primarily of ocean floor sandy loams. Because it is the most westerly vineyard in the area, it is perhaps the most maritime of all vineyards in this growing region. With the Pacific coastline only miles away, a constant maritime influence results in wines of crisp acidity, bright fruit and an inherent balance. This soil stresses the vines somewhat, resulting in grapes of greater flavor and concentration. While the yields tend to be low to moderate, the concentration and extraction of the grape materials tends to be intense and quality-driven.
JEB DUNNUCK 92+ POINTS - "The medium-bodied, vibrant 2016 Pinot Noir Kick On is another age-worthy effort that has everything in the right places. Perfumed notes of mulberries, dried flowers, strawberries, and menthol, medium body, bright acidity, and fine tannins all make for a beautiful Pinot Noir that will benefit from short-term cellaring and keep for a decade."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Kick On Ranch is another pretty and highly expressive wine in this range. Done in a slender, slightly nervous style, the 2016 is built on expressive aromatics and notable persistence, with the fruit lying more in the background. It will be interesting to see if this reticent, tightly wound Pinot gains a bit more flesh with time in the bottle."
- Item #: i_250510Bottle Size: 750mlThey focus on cool-climate Pinot Noir from Green Valley, the coldest region of the famed Russian River Valley. Fog flows from the Pacific Coast along the Russian River and through the Petaluma Wind Gap, converging on this small area. Orogeny's grapes are grown on five small vineyards, each only five to ten acres, which were selected to display the bright fruit characteristics of classic Green Valley Pinot Noir. Their limited size permits Orogeny to use hands-on farming techniques. The vines are planted on ridges in Gold Ridge soils, a mix of sandy loam over sandstone and clay. These sites provide excellent drainage, which promotes even ripening and concentrated flavors.