Pinot Noir is a red wine grape variety of the species Vitis vinifera. Pinot Noir grapes are grown around the world, mostly in the cooler regions, but the grape is chiefly associated with the Burgundy region of France. Other regions that have gained a reputation for Pinot Noir include the Willamette Valley of Oregon, the Carneros, Central Coast and Russian River AVAs of California, the Walker Bay wine region of South Africa, Tasmania and Yarra Valley in Australia and the Central Otago, Martinborough and Marlborough wine regions of New Zealand. Pinot Noir is also a primary variety used in sparkling wine production in Champagne and other wine regions. It is widely considered to produce some of the finest wines in the world, but is a difficult variety to cultivate and transform into wine. The grape's tendency to produce tightly packed clusters makes it susceptible to several viticultural hazards involving rot that require diligent canopy management. The thin-skins and low levels of phenolic compounds lends Pinot to producing mostly lightly colored, medium bodied low tannin wines that can often go through dumb phases with uneven and unpredictable aging. When young, wines made from Pinot Noir tend to have red fruit aromas of cherries, raspberries and strawberries. As the wines age, Pinots have the potential to develop vegetal and "barnyard" aromas that can contribute to the complexity of the wine.
- Item #: i_201110Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2014 A to Z Pinot Noir leads with aromas of cherries, raspberries, and blackberries, developing to iris, blueberries, strawberries and minerals. A beautiful attack has vibrant red fruit flavors and floral notes, then deepens with hints of blood orange and blueberry jam. Ripe tannins are balanced by perfect acidity and the mid-palate reveals spice, tobacco and earth notes adding richness and complexity. The finish is quite long which allows all the elements of the wine to come together and show the intrinsic balance and complexity of the 2014 Oregon vintage. WINERY NOTES
- Item #: i_200270Bottle Size: 750MLVINOUS 92 POINTS - "Elegant and intense, offering layered aromas of red raspberries, fresh Oregon strawberries, brown spice, and cedar. It is exceptionally balanced with silky tannins and a persistent finish. This wine would pair well with lamb, duck, salmon, and aged cheeses."
David Adelsheim and Ginny Adelsheim planted their first vineyards in Oregon's Willamette Valley back in 1972. Since producing their first commercial vintage in 1978, the Adelsheims have used sustainable farming practices and take great care to bring out the best in each of their unique vineyard sites. In the winery, they combine traditional and modern techniques, crafting wines in a style that centers on elegance, complexity and richness in flavor and texture.
The Elizabeth's Reserve bottling is a "best of" blend, using only the best barrels in the cellar. With many wonderful lots representing different soil types, clones, site climates, fermenter sizes and barrel characteristics, winemaker Dave Paige pulls together a wine that truly reflects the vintage and character.
This wine is both elegant and intense, offering layered aromas of red raspberries, fresh Oregon strawberries, brown spice and cedar. Aromas reflected on the palate are pure and elegant, it is exceptionally balanced with silky tannins and a persistent finish. This wine will pair beautifully with lamb, duck, grilled salmon and aged cheeses.
- Item #: i_200280Bottle Size: 750mlWINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Polished and elegantly complex, with pretty rose petal, raspberry and spiced tea flavors that glide on the long finish. Drink now through 2024."
Adelsheim Vineyard began back in 1971 with Ginny and David Adelsheim purchasing 19 acres in beautiful Oregon countryside. They shared a dream with a handful of families that Oregon's climate and land could one day produce serious wines. A home was built, vines planted, and in 1978, the first commercial wines were produced. Over four decades, Adelsheim Vineyard grew up with Oregon's wine industry pioneering the way towards the future of wine production.
With its broad array of origins and clones, this wine displays aromas of cocoa, pomegranate and raspberry on the nose and the palate as well as a light touch of nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. True to Adelsheim's house style, it is elegantly textured with seamlessly integrated, silky, polished tannins. Pair it with salmon, ahi, veal, pork, duck, beef or hearty vegetarian entrees.
- Item #: i_201020Bottle Size: 750mlPrisme is the truest expression of the Pinot Noir grape. Anne Amie selects only their finest blocks of Pinot noir and gently press the grapes, liberating the free run juice, but not the color or tannins from the skins. It is then barrel-fermented, and aged on its lees in French oak barrels for 18 months. This structured white wine has a backbone of acidity, a voluptuous mid-palate and along, creamy finish. Prismé is named after the word prism - the splitting of white light into its corresponding colors. Anne Amie is doing precisely that in reverse, making a rich, textured white wine from Pinot noir.
The Prisme starts with 100% Pinot noir free run juice that is settled and racked into barrels. It is entirely barrel-fermented in French oak puncheons; lees stirred, allowed partial malolactic fermentation (around 80%) and then aged on its lees for 18 months before bottling.
The aromas is this wine begin with baked apples, fennel, vanilla bean, elderflower, cardamom, candied ginger, creme brulee, then moves to flavors of ripe pears, graham cracker, nutmeg, lemon meringue, and ripe fig, with a lingering finished laced with creamy acidity.
- Item #: i_201050Bottle Size: 750mlThe first wine that caught our attention from this Oregon stage producer was their Mueller-Thurgau; a white variety that is not often planted. That wine is so clean and refreshing, we had to see what else was in their bag of tricks. Happily, we found their Willamette Valley Pinot Noir to be delicous, too! Anne Amie's estate and all vineyards they get fruit from are Salmon Safe and LIVE certified, which means they are dedicated to restoring and maintaining healthy watersheds for minimal impact on aquifers and wildlife.
This Pinot Noir displays red cherry, strawberry, sassafras, cardamom, and fig, along with flavors that are reminiscent of red cherry, clove baking spice, fig, cassis, and cola. This wine ends with a long, rich finish with smooth tannins and nicely placed acidity.
- Item #: i_200410Bottle Size: 750MLANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 91 POINTS - "Limpid ruby-red. Assertive red berry preserve and incense aromas, along with suggestions of oak spices, cola and smoky minerals. Spicy and focused on entry and then fleshier in the mid-palate, offering black raspberry, bitter cherry and vanilla flavors and a touch of white pepper. Shows very good energy and spicy lift on the persistent finish, which is framed by smooth, even tannins. (36% new French oak) "
- Item #: i_201750Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Sleek and elegant, with polished raspberry, orange peel and spiced cinnamon flavors that glide on a lingering finish. Drink now through 2023. 1,700 cases made."
- Item #: i_201730Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Supple and elegantly complex, with plush raspberry, orange peel and cinnamon flavors that glide along the finish. Drink now through 2023. 6,500 cases made. "
- Item #: i_201680Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 93 POINTS - "(50% whole clusters and 50% new French oak) Brilliant red. Powerful smoke- and spice-accented red berry liqueur, mocha and floral pastille scents show excellent clarity and pick up notes of licorice and cola with air. Sweet and expansive on the palate, offering juicy black raspberry, cherry cola, lavender and spicecake flavors that become livelier on the back half. This weighty yet lithe Pinot finishes smooth and very long, featuring slow-building tannins and resonating florality."
- Item #: i_202660Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95In 1986, winemaker Michael Etzlel came across a prime piece of property in Oregon's Willamette Valley. Through a partnership with his brother in law, renowned wine critic Robert M. Parker, Jr., and Robert Roy, the dream was realized, and Beaux Freres was born. This trio strives to produce high quality wines from the Pinot Noir grape, following classical Burgundian grape growing practices.
Even though Robert Parker never reviews these wines, other publications have; and the wines have garnered exciting reviews! The wines sell out each year, so if you're into high quality, low production Pinot Noir from one of Oregon's better producers, then don't hesitate!
Winery Notes - Pure, classic Beaux Freres with everything in beautiful poise. Our first tasting revealed an enthralling wine, opening like floodgates toward the sublime – a freshly cedar-oiled grandfather clock, a favorite Musigny, blood-orange dark chocolate candies, or perhaps something unique and lovely from your own memory bank. The texture is refined, the tannins well integrated, and the entire wine deeply intricate and harmonious.
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Remarkably and seamlessly complex, with a polished and refined core wrapped in silky raspberry and blueberry flavors, accented by savory spice and orange zest hints. The long finish builds toward polished tannins. Drink now through 2025. 2,686 cases made."
- Item #: i_275444Bottle Size: 750mlFrom the outstanding 2016 vintage, the 100% estate farmed Cumberland Reserve Pinot Noir is potentially Bergstrom's best reserve blend in over a decade. It is dark burgundy in color with a youthful violet hue at the rim of the glass and could easily be mistaken for an old world effort. Its lovely aromatics are a sweet and savory mixture of dark fruits like blackberry, Marion berry and blueberry, a dustiness resembling cigar tobacco, a rocky mineral quality, along with whole cluster inspired herbs and a rich meatiness.
- Item #: i_208700Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine is very expressive of smoky espresso, cacao, raspberry, pomegranate, rose petals, and graham cracker. The fruit on the palate is juicy in a refreshing kind of way with playful dusty tannins. There is an easiness to the way the wine drinks that is soothing and comfortable like the way your favorite old pair of leather boots feel on your feet.
- Item #: i_206250Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 92Brick House was established in 1990 in the Willamette Valley from what was a dilapidated Hazelnut Orchard that had been "custom farmed" by non-resident farmers in the age of "Better Living Through Chemistry." Long story short, the Orchard was in a sad state, overrun with synthetic compounds and pesticides. It was in 1990 that the Orchard was set for rehabilitation in the form of cold turkey from all pesticides and synthetic chemicals. The land cleansed itself while its new caregivers learned the ropes of organic and biodynamic farming; in time new life sprung from the vines as the chemical residues loosened their grip.
Fast forward to today: Brickhouse is a certified organic vineyard, dry-farmed that puts an emphasis on Biodynamic practices. They are true stewards of the land farming with future generations in mind!
Vintage wise, 2015 was a very warm year for Oregon. Thankfully though, there were plenty of cool nights to provide long hang time and full maturity. While still having the feminine touch with nice acidity Oregon is known for, the wines themselves have a bit more richness appealing to the California Pinot drinkers. What is the final verdict from us at Hi-Time about the 2015 growing season for the Willamette Valley? Awesome vintage!
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 94 POINTS - "One of the Willamette Valley's iconic winemakers, Doug Tunnel was one of America's earliest adopters of fully organic farming, achieving the certification in 1990 followed by Demeter Biodynamic certification in 2005. Tunnel's wines are made in a distinctively and consciously Old World, low-octane style, favoring structure and detail with a discreet use of new oak. Like a steadily increasing number of his Oregon colleagues, Tunnel's elegant, understated but eminently age-worthy wines, whites as well as reds, smack one inside the head rather than upside it."
"Lurid red. A complex, highly perfumed bouquet evokes fresh red and dark berries, Asian spices and incense, and a hint of candied flowers emerges with aeration. Concentrated raspberry preserve, cherry cola and spicecake flavors show excellent clarity and stretch out and become sweeter and deeper on the back half. Shows outstanding clarity and spicy thrust on the impressively persistent finish, which is shaped by smooth, harmonious tannins that fold quickly into the juicy, lingering fruit. "
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Pale to medium ruby-purple colored, the 2015 Pinot Noir Evelyn's is a little youthfully mute, conjuring notions of red currants and pomegranate with hints of wild thyme, yeast extract, damp loam and mossy bark. Light to medium-bodied, the palate has a wonderfully fine-grained texture supporting elegant, delicate fruit, finishing with long-lasting savory and spice notes."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Soft, supple and delicate, with floral cherry and dark tea aromas and elegantly complex raspberry and smoky spice flavors that glide along the finish. Drink now through 2023. 500 cases made."
- Item #: i_206270Bottle Size: 750mlFor centuries Gamay Noir au Jus Blanc has been the singular grape of the Beaujolais region of France. But the marine sediments of Ribbon Ridge share much in common with the rolling hills of Beaujolais, including low soil pH and an abundance of mica/silica. Bright, floral and often laced with hind of anise or licorice, Brick House Gamay has found many friends since first released in 1995. BIODYNAMICALLY FARMED
- Item #: i_210780Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 93 POINTS - "(50% new French oak) Vivid red. Primary red and blue fruit scents, along with hints of cola, vanilla and smoky Indian spices. Fleshy and appealingly sweet, offering intense black raspberry and boysenberry flavors underscored by a vein of juicy acidity. A sexy floral note emerges on the strikingly long, energetic finish, which features rounded tannins and lingering five-spice powder and candied rose notes."
- Item #: i_277650Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91Vinous Media: 90ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Three Vineyard is pale to medium ruby-purple in color with wild blackberries and black cherries over wonderful nuances of undergrowth, wet leaves, floral perfume and just the slightest touch of pleasant stemmy character. Medium-bodied, it has warm black and red fruit preserves flavors in the mouth, framed by grainy tannins and wonderful freshness, finishing long with plenty of perfumed earth notes. 3,974 cases produced."
- Item #: i_211260Bottle Size: 750MLThe 2017 Cloudline Pinot Noir carries the familiar ruby red color of Willamette Valley Pinot Noir, but with a darker shading at its core. On the nose, the fresh aromatics convey the vibrancy of the vintage, and on the palate, there are deep cherry and berry notes ahead of the pleasing finish.
- Item #: i_213760Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Pale to medium ruby, the 2016 Pinot Noir Louise Vineyard opens with classic aromas of black and red cherries, cola, dried earth and autumn leaves over a peppery, spicy background. It's medium-bodied and silky in the mouth with lovely red and black fruit layers accented by licorice, earth and black tea. It's framed with firm tannins and mouthwatering acidity, finishing long and lively."
- Item #: i_213790Bottle Size: 750mlMt. Jefferson Cuvee is a blend of the Cristom estate Pinot Noir vineyards along with exceptional fruit they source from neighboring vineyards in the Willamette Valley. These contributing sites have been thoughtfully selected over the years, and are planted on a variety of soil types, elevations and aspects, representing the Willamette Valley Appellation as a broader whole. Each of these vineyards are farmed by committed winegrowers they are proud to partner with, with each site adding to the character, fruit, and structure of the wine, giving "Mt. Jeff" its deserved reputation as one of the most stylistically consistent Pinot Noirs in the world.
- Item #: i_216100Bottle Size: 750MLOpulent, ripe and structured, a superb combination of full flavor, intensity, and backbone. Its color is beautifully deep and concentrated. Subtle floral notes of lilac and rose petal lead into complex aromas of earth, black cherries, cranberry, black tea, allspice and clove. Full bodied and harmonious, the mid palate is layered with sweet, supple fruit and flavors of pomegranate and cherry.
- Item #: i_216350Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 92Dark ruby in color, the Yamhill Cuvee is extremely expressive showcasing heavenly aromas of cocoa, pomegranate, clove, and star anise. A patchwork of cherry, cranberry cocktail, and blueberry flavors explode on the palate. Polished and plush, its seamlessly integrated and inviting tannins lead to a long, lingering finish. An extremely appealing wine, its complexity leaves you thirsty for more.
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - " A blend of five vineyard estates, this has a very plush and smooth, supple feel with bright red cherries and plenty of spicy fragrance. This is super fresh, really succulent and alluring."
- Item #: i_218900Bottle Size: 750MLAll of Elk Cove's Pinot Noir fruit undergoes the same meticulous vineyard management and gentle handling through a gravity flow system, thus achieving the elegance, texture and luscious quality that are the hallmarks of exquisite Pinot Noirs. From the early pioneering days to now, their Willamette Valley Pinot Noir has remained the foundation of Elk Cove Vineyards. This Pinot Noir is blended from several select vineyard sites comprised of Pommard and Dijon plant material and shows the softest, most approachable drinking style Elk Cove makes.