- Item #: i_200130Bottle Size: 750mlThe myriad of dark fruit and floral notes in this Pinot Noir come from the cool, windy Los Carneros American Viticultural Area (AVA) in the southern reaches of Napa Valley. Satsuma plum, blackberry, red rose and violet notes weave through the enticing aromas, mingled with warm nuances of vanilla and toasted oak from barrel aging. Silky, elegant flavors echo the aromas, adding blueberry and plum to the rich fruit complexity. You'll find this wine's lush flavors, bright acidity and fine tannins are perfectly balanced to complement a broad range of foods, from grilled salmon and chicken, to lamb and wild mushrooms.
- Item #: i_212280Bottle Size: 750MLCarneros was the first wine region defined by its climate characteristics rather than political boundaries. As a result, this is one of the few AVA’s within Napa Valley that crosses both Napa and Sonoma. The Carneros AVA is the driest and coolest sub-AVA of Napa Valley. Fierce and persistent winds off the San Pablo Bay encourages the grapevines to struggle and retain moisture. Heavily influenced by morning fog from the San Pablo Bay, in the summer there can be a ten degree temperature difference between Carneros and the Northern Napa Valley sub-AVAs such as Calistoga or Rutherford. As a result, this makes the perfect growing conditions for Pinot Noir as the the cool climate slows down ripening and preserves acidity in the grapes.
Winery's Tasting Notes: "The 2019 San Pablo Bay Block is racy with flavors of tart cranberries, red cherries and a delicate perfume of rose petals. The palate is layered with similar fruit notes, along with a depth of pomegranate, macerated strawberries and baking spices with a subtle hint of vanilla that leads to a smooth finish. This wine is full of verve and will beautifully round out with aging."
- Item #: i_216090Bottle Size: 750MLDomaine Carneros' classic Pinot Noir was made to show off the superb qualities of their organic vineyard, is rich with fruit tones of black cherry, raspberry and black current overlaid with notes of chocolate, toast, clove and exotic spices. Luscious flavors end in a very long and silky finish.
- Item #: i_219640Bottle Size: 750MLMedium ruby color; cherry, raspberry, graham cracker spice on the nose; dark cherry, raspberry, plum, redcurrant on the palate.This bottle is another reason to find Etude Carneros pinot noir. Grapes come from estate vineyards at Grace Benoist Ranch where the vines produce small bunches and even smaller berries, generating small yields and intense, complex flavors. The vividly delicious and—at the same time, subtle—flavors are why are why you will enjoy this wine, also why you will pay extra for the privilege of doing so. The splurge is more than worth it.
- Item #: i_223240Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleA beautiful expression of the Carneros appellation, this Pinot Noir opens with lively aromas of strawberry, ripe red cherry, and a touch of baking spice. The palate is greeted with a juicy, full-bodied mouthfeel and refreshing, well-balanced acidity that lingers on the finish.
- Item #: i_223270Bottle Size: 750MLFrank Family Vineyards Carneros Pinot Noir opens with aromas of dried black cherries, cinnamon spice and sweet oak notes. A subtle scent of forest floor and lavender evokes the cool, foggy mornings typical of their Carneros vineyard, giving this wine a sense of place. The palate is round and bursts with fleshy plum. Fine grain tannins offer elegant structure and persistence.
- Item #: i_274640Bottle Size: 750mlWhile Cabernet Sauvignon might be the grape most think of when ruminating about red wines from California, many also hopefully recall the pockets of perfection that allow for the growing of grapes that need something a bit more cool. One famous 'pocket' is Los Carneros, a ninety square mile AVA (American Viticultural Area) on the southernmost foothills of the Mayacamas and Sonoma mountain ranges.
Los Carneros AVA (also known as Carneros AVA) includes parts of both Sonoma and Napa counties in California, U.S.A.. It is located north of San Pablo Bay. The proximity to the cool fog and breezes from the bay makes the climate in Los Carneros cooler and more moderate than the wine regions farther north in Napa Valley and Sonoma Valley. The cooler climate has made Los Carneros attractive for the cultivation of cooler climate varietals like Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.
So, we have a great place to grow Pinot Noir but how is this bottling? In a word, lovely! Scents of fresh cherries and rose petals are grounded with touches of light spice and garden loam. Upon tasting, the berries are massively ripe: cherries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. Background notes of subtle minerality and light spice add complexity. The grip of tannins and scintillating streaks of acidity keep this wine balanced and ideal for the spring table. Think everything from ham to lamb, salmon to tuna, duck to pork. Or try some chèvre and salami with your favorite herb crackers.
And what's up with the owl theme? Barn owls are extremely useful in vineyard management but they do not create their own nest holes. Instead, they frequently use hollow trees or cavities from other birds, and they readily move into open buildings or nest boxes. With the right barn owl box, it is possible to encourage barn owls to become permanent residents in your yard or elsewhere on a larger property. Many farmers and backyard birders welcome barn owls because these birds are efficient hunters that prey almost exclusively on small rodents such as mice, voles, rats, shrews, and gophers. With hungry barn owls and owlets in the area, less money, time, and effort will be needed for rodent control. Furthermore, because these raptors are primarily nocturnal, they rarely bother livestock or pets. They will not hurt crops or gardens, and they don't require feeders or expensive seed.
In summation, this is a light, bright, vibrant, fresh Pinot Noir that shows off the beauty of both Carneros and the vineyard protectors, the owls-- and a worthy champion to take our "Wine of the Month" mantle.
- Item #: i_248850Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93+Patz and Hall has become one of the most highly regarded wineries in California’s North Coast, with a celebrated portfolio of single-vineyard Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs. Their vineyard sources need to have naturally low yields, complex flavors and aromas, and the growers need to be meticulous with canopy management in order to achieve the balance of freshness with richness. Production on Patz and Hall's single-vineyard wines are low in production, which means they stagger their releases because the wines typically sell out so quickly! Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate has even stated that the wine are sure bets regardless of vintage conditions.
Hyde Vineyard is justifiably considered one of the superstar vineyards in Carneros. Purchased in 1979, and planted two years later, this 179-acre property is cultivated as 44 distinct blocks. Adding to the depth and character of this iconic site, Hyde Vineyard is planted to 10 types of Pinot Noir and six varieties of Chardonnay. Of these, the Hyde-Wente Chardonnay and Hyde-Calera Pinot Noir were isolated by Larry, and are widely considered two of the finest selections in California viticulture.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Hyde Vineyard, aged in 50% new oak, has a pale to medium ruby-purple color and a nose of cinnamon stick, charcuterie, baked cranberries, raspberries and boysenberry with oodles of violet and lilac perfume, licorice, tea leaves and fragrant earth. Light to medium-bodied, it’s bright, inviting and intense in the mouth with wonderful layering of earth, spice, amaro and floral notions. It’s energized by juicy acidity and structured with finely grained tannins, finishing long and flavorful. This is drinking beautifully now but will benefit from another year in bottle."
- Item #: i_261770Bottle Size: 750MLThis vintage of Robert Sinskey Vineyards' Los Carneros Pinot Noir is unmistakably true to variety with an aromatically inviting bouquet and striking complexity. Bright red fruit characteristics of pomegranate, bing cherry, cranberry and raspberry are seamlessly woven together with floral tones of violet and rose, balanced with subtle earthy notes of forest herbs, cinnamon and cardamom. The wine's mouthfeel is generous and well rounded yet focused and fresh with a mouthwatering brightness and a firm back bone you expect to see in a well crafted Pinot Noir. Food pairing possibilities are limitless, or pour and serve on its own to savor its subtleties and evolution in the glass.
- Item #: i_273270Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "With a beautiful dark ruby color, the Pinot Noir has aromas of ripe strawberries and briary black cherry interspersed with hints of vanilla, cedar, and rhubarb. The subtle oak nuances integrate perfectly with the bright fruit, balanced acidity, and silky tannins. This wine is drinking beautifully now, but will also age gracefully in your cellar."