- Item #: i_275877Bottle Size: 750mlAlma Rosa can be translated from Spanish to English to literally mean the "Soul of the Rose." Alma Rosa Winery and Vineyards was founded in 2005 by Sta. Rita Hills pioneer winegrowers Thekla and Richard Sanford.
Bright nose, with dusty raspberry, sage and thyme, laced with butterscotch and light-toast coffee bean cues from the French oak barrels. Flavors of ripe raspberry, red cherry and baking spices are lifted by the fresh acid backbone. On the palate, it is focused and medium-bodied, with fine grip from the seed tannin
- Item #: i_215560Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94+ POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Sanford and Benedict Vineyard is a brilliant wine that ranks with the creme de la creme of the vintage. Coming from one of the top sites in the Sta. Rita Hills, 70% destemmed, and aged 18 months in 30% new French oak, it has a vivid purple/plum color as well as captivating notes of black cherries, blackberries, ground herbs, forest floor, and scorched earth. With medium-bodied richness, a tight, vibrant, racy texture, and present tannins, it's another wine from this great estate that's going to benefit from 3-4 years of bottle age, and it will see its 15th birthday in fine form. It's the real deal."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "An explosion of red and purplish berry fruit makes for a strong opening in the 2016 Pinot Noir Sanford and Benedict Vineyard. Exuberant, racy and full of flavor, the 2016 offers notable intensity while retaining the mid-weight style that is so typical of the year. This is classic S-and-B Pinot. "
- Item #: i_215930Bottle Size: 750mlOn the nose, the wine is beautifully aromatic, combining notes of ripe, fresh cherry, rasberry, and strawberry jam, along with intense floral notes of hibiscus and orange blossom, baking spices of cardamom, cacao and vanilla, and a touch of fresh herbs (bay leaf, celery leaf). On the palate the wine is medium bodied and silky, with waves of complex ripe red fruits (cherry, raspberry, cranberry) complicated by notes of rhurbarb, fresh herbs and hints of wood smoke. The wine has ample, bright acidity, and sturdy tannins which provide structure, energy and cut on the long smooth finish.
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir (Sta. Rita Hills) is a gorgeous appellation-level wine from Dragonette. Rose petal, lavender, mint, spice and sweet red/purplish berry fruit are all finely knit. More than anything else, the Sta. Rita Hills is a wine of pure and total finesse. I especially like the wine's translucence and energy. Vineyard sources are Bentrock, Radian, La Encantada, Cargasacchi, Spear, Fiddlestix, and John Sebastiano. The 2016 punches well above its weight. Don't miss it."
- Item #: i_222120Bottle Size: 750mlThis 100% Point Noir showcases dark and concentrated ruby hues which speak to this wine's Sta. Rita Hill's pedigree, bright aromas of raspberry, Bing cherry, leather and root beer. On the palate, this wines multiple layers speak to flavors of cherry cola, strawberry marmalade and forest floor. A luscious California Pinot Noir that pairs seamlessly with pulled pork sliders or chicken coq au vin.
- Item #: i_228680Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "A new wine in this range, the 2016 Pinot Noir Truly Rita is gorgeous. Bright and vibrant in the glass, the 2016 offers terrific drive in a mid-weight, energetic style that holds considerable appeal. Red and purplish berry fruit, rose petal, lavender and mint are all beautifully focused. A touch of whole clusters adds lift without being especially evident."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Aged 17 months in 26% new French oak and bottled unfined and unfiltered, the medium ruby-purple colored 2016 Pinot Noir Truly Rita comes sashaying out of the glass with seriously spicy notions of cinnamon stick, cloves, anise and black pepper with a core of red currant jelly, kirsch and raspberry preserves plus a waft of wild thyme. Medium-bodied, the palate has lovely restraint with elegant red fruit layers framed by soft tannins and seamless freshness, finishing on a mineral note. 216 cases produced."
- Item #: i_241360Bottle Size: 750MLIn the wind-swept, rolling hills of western Santa Barbara County, you will find one of the best cool-climate growing regions on earth. And in this area, you will find one of the more consistent Pinot Noir producers in California!
Ron Melville and his family have been farming high quality grapes for over 30 years. After finding success in Sonoma County, Ron's desire to grow cold-climate Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Syrah brought Melville Vineyards to the Sta. Rita Hills. The Sta. Rita Hills AVA is unique, as it is one of the few grape growing regions in California whose valley runs west to east. In doing so, the cooling air from the Pacific Ocean is able to rush through the area, keeping the daily temperatures low, and providing a long growing season that maximizes flavors. The soils at Melville are a mix of sand and clay, giving Pinot Noir beautiful aromatics combined with ripe, but not overpowering fruit. In addition, Melville plants their vines at a denser spacing than most. In doing so, root systems must compete with each other, inhibiting rigorous growth, naturally lowering yields and furthering the development of flavor and concentration. Farming at Melville is sustainable at a minimum, but often done organically.
Melville's "Estate" Pinot Noir is a collection of 16 different Pinot Noir clones fermented in small 1.5 ton open-top fermenters. Yields were just 1.5 tons per acre! This is the type of small yields that you typically see for Pinot Noirs selling for $75-$100+...but Melville's wine sells for way less than that! Combine that with the stellar 95 point score from critic Antonio Galloni, and you'll see why this has been one of our favorite wines to sell for the past several years! This is the first vintage "from grape to glass" that Chad Melville has produced since taking over from Greg Brewer, and if this is any indication, the Melville wines are destined for continued greatness!
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Estate is a blend of the seventeen clones on the property. Freshly cut flowers, spice, mint, blood orange and dried flowers give the Estate beguiling aromatic complexity and nuance. There is a sense of translucent beauty in the 2016 that is fabulous, while the 40% whole clusters are very nicely integrated. This is such a tremendous wine."
- Item #: i_249600Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsPeake Ranch is a boutique winery owned by John & Gillian Wagner. Like all of us who have visited Santa Barbara County, the couple fell in love with the beautiful country side and the friendliness of the people.. They purchased Peake Ranch with a vision of building a winery and a house on the property. Years later they are in their third vintage garnering rave reviews from the top critics. Paul Lato leads the team as winemaker and with nearly two decades of experience, has earned critical acclaim with top critics along with placements of his own wines in top restaurants in the United States, Europe and Japan!
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "There are three Pinot Noirs from Peake Ranch, all brilliant wines. Black cherries, black raspberries, smoked herbs, and hints of licorice define the bouquet of the 2016 Pinot Noir Santa Rita Hills, which is the entry level Pinot Noir of this estate. It's a rich, concentrated, powerful Pinot Noir that has moderate tannins, good acidity, and beautiful upfront charm. Aged 18 months in 62% new French oak, drink it any time over the coming 6-7 years."
Winery Notes - A compelling example of what can be achieved with Pinot Noir from Santa Rita Hills, this wine captures the natural balance and complexity of this special appellation. The aromas blend bright cherries and blueberries with a subtle and distinguished earthiness expressed as dried oregano, white pepper and black tea. An engaging, seductive texture is supported with a backbone of French oak and finely- grained tannins.
- Item #: i_268210Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Estate is the larger production red from this team, yet it certainly gives a good view into the quality coming from the Hilt wines. Black cherries, black raspberries, graphite, peppery herbs, and underbrush notes flow to a medium-bodied, supple, beautifully layered Pinot Noir that has ripe, present tannins, plenty of mid-palate flesh, and remarkable purity. Drink it any time over the coming 7-8 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The Hilt's 2016 Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills is excellent, wafting from the glass with an exciting bouquet of dark wild berry fruits, licorice, rich soil, rose hip and orange peel. On the palate, the wine is medium-bodied, bright and expansive, with velvety tannins and a crunchy core of primary fruit, its bright line of acidity carrying through to the mouthwatering finish."