Pinot Noir is a red wine grape variety of the species Vitis vinifera. Pinot Noir grapes are grown around the world, mostly in the cooler regions, but the grape is chiefly associated with the Burgundy region of France. Other regions that have gained a reputation for Pinot Noir include the Willamette Valley of Oregon, the Carneros, Central Coast and Russian River AVAs of California, the Walker Bay wine region of South Africa, Tasmania and Yarra Valley in Australia and the Central Otago, Martinborough and Marlborough wine regions of New Zealand. Pinot Noir is also a primary variety used in sparkling wine production in Champagne and other wine regions. It is widely considered to produce some of the finest wines in the world, but is a difficult variety to cultivate and transform into wine. The grape's tendency to produce tightly packed clusters makes it susceptible to several viticultural hazards involving rot that require diligent canopy management. The thin-skins and low levels of phenolic compounds lends Pinot to producing mostly lightly colored, medium bodied low tannin wines that can often go through dumb phases with uneven and unpredictable aging. When young, wines made from Pinot Noir tend to have red fruit aromas of cherries, raspberries and strawberries. As the wines age, Pinots have the potential to develop vegetal and "barnyard" aromas that can contribute to the complexity of the wine.
- Item #: i_275877Bottle Size: 750mlAlma Rosa can be translated from Spanish to English to literally mean the "Soul of the Rose." Alma Rosa Winery and Vineyards was founded in 2005 by Sta. Rita Hills pioneer winegrowers Thekla and Richard Sanford.
Bright nose, with dusty raspberry, sage and thyme, laced with butterscotch and light-toast coffee bean cues from the French oak barrels. Flavors of ripe raspberry, red cherry and baking spices are lifted by the fresh acid backbone. On the palate, it is focused and medium-bodied, with fine grip from the seed tannin
- Item #: i_202960Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "A powerful, heady wine the 2016 Pinot Noir Deja Vu shows all the pedigree of the year. Vertical, deep and compelling the Deja Vu offers soft touches of graphite and licorice framine a core of deep fruit, with plenty of underlying structure and tons of class."
- Item #: i_202990Bottle Size: 750mlWINE MAKER NOTES - If you like the idea of great Pinot Noir, from great vineyards, within a great appellation, with pricing that starts at $35 a bottle, then our flagship SRH blend is a no-brainer. How’s this for a tour de force blend:54% Babcock Vineyard - 27% Bentrock Vineyard - 19% Radian Vineyard Translation: the wine is essentially a blend of Ocean’s Ghost, Déjà vu and Radical. It goes without saying, it’s a very nice, robust Pinot Noir. As cleanly as winemaker Colin Kress racked this wine, after we blended the final cuvee together, he noticed that it was slightly hazy and unstable. In most wineries, the answer, especially with a lot this size, is to filter it clean, which I think always takes a little something out of the wine. Well, this wine was so good I just couldn’t bring myself to give Colin those marching orders. We put a little chill on it in tank right before bottling, which coaxed out a bit more precipitation, but in the end we bottled it knowing that there may be a little bit more sediment to come over the next couple years. So, if you choose to drink it in the near future, I recommend decanting before you serve it. If not, just know that your last glass may contain a touch of purple mud, serving as the tell tale sign that I chose quality over clarity.
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS
- Item #: i_210420Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of fruit from some of the more prestigious vineyards in the Sta. Rita Hills, including Zotovich, Lindsay’s, Bentrock, and La Encantada Vineyards.
- Item #: i_214400Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES - I learned to make Pinot Noir at the Hirsch Vineyard on the Sonoma Coast (read the book), Goldeneye Vineyards in Anderson Valley, and Whitethorn Winery in South Humboldt County. For my 2017 Pinot Noir, I produced two barrels from Sta. Rita Hills, a mix of Mt. Eden and Swan clones, aged in 50% new oak and finishing at 13.4% alcohol.
- Item #: i_215560Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2015 Pinot Noir Sanford and Benedict Vineyard is a sensual, voluptuous beauty. Silky tannins, layered fruit and expressive aromatics give the wine its sheer appeal. Dark plum, cherry, rose petal and spice are some of the many notes that flesh out in this creamy, sensual Pinot from Ryan Deovlet."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The excellent 2015 Pinot Noir Sanford and Benedict Vineyard is the best of these releases from Deovlet, wafting from the glass with a deep bouquet of plum, raspberry, loamy soil and subtle spice. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied with a layered mid-palate, good depth and concentration and a lovely sense of completeness. There's excellent balance between this Pinot Noir's velvety tannins, juicy acids and succulent core of fruit."
- Item #: i_215930Bottle Size: 750mlOn the nose, the wine is beautifully aromatic, combining notes of ripe, fresh cherry, rasberry, and strawberry jam, along with intense floral notes of hibiscus and orange blossom, baking spices of cardamom, cacao and vanilla, and a touch of fresh herbs (bay leaf, celery leaf). On the palate the wine is medium bodied and silky, with waves of complex ripe red fruits (cherry, raspberry, cranberry) complicated by notes of rhurbarb, fresh herbs and hints of wood smoke. The wine has ample, bright acidity, and sturdy tannins which provide structure, energy and cut on the long smooth finish.
- Item #: i_274798Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2015 Pinot Noir Ashley's is a beautiful, lush wine that captures all of the natural raciness of the vintage while retaining terrific freshness and aromatic intensity for the year. Ripe dark cherry, plum, leather and spice build into the voluptuous finish. The 2015 Ashley's is a big wine, but its balance is impeccable. In particular, the 25% whole clusters add nuance but without being overpowering. There is a fair bit of new oak as well and yet the wine very clearly has the stuffing to handle it."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Pale to medium ruby-purple colored, the 2015 Pinot Noir Ashley's Vineyard has pretty violets and red rose notes over a core of cranberries and pomegranate plus touches of bay leaves and mossy bark. The medium-bodied palate delivers a great intensity of red berry and earthy flavors with a pleasant suggestion of chewiness to the texture and long, lively finish."
- Item #: i_249555Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 90 PointsJEB DUNNUCK - "Moving to the Pinot Noirs, the Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills (11 months in 43% new French oak) is a great introduction to this estate. Black cherries, spice, and hints of scorched earth all emerge from this charming, medium-bodied, balanced beauty that has real Pinot Noir charm."
- Item #: i_222120Bottle Size: 750mlThis 100% Point Noir showcases dark and concentrated ruby hues which speak to this wine's Sta. Rita Hill's pedigree, bright aromas of raspberry, Bing cherry, leather and root beer. On the palate, this wines multiple layers speak to flavors of cherry cola, strawberry marmalade and forest floor. A luscious California Pinot Noir that pairs seamlessly with pulled pork sliders or chicken coq au vin.
- Item #: i_228680Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "A new wine in this range, the 2016 Pinot Noir Truly Rita is gorgeous. Bright and vibrant in the glass, the 2016 offers terrific drive in a mid-weight, energetic style that holds considerable appeal. Red and purplish berry fruit, rose petal, lavender and mint are all beautifully focused. A touch of whole clusters adds lift without being especially evident."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Aged 17 months in 26% new French oak and bottled unfined and unfiltered, the medium ruby-purple colored 2016 Pinot Noir Truly Rita comes sashaying out of the glass with seriously spicy notions of cinnamon stick, cloves, anise and black pepper with a core of red currant jelly, kirsch and raspberry preserves plus a waft of wild thyme. Medium-bodied, the palate has lovely restraint with elegant red fruit layers framed by soft tannins and seamless freshness, finishing on a mineral note. 216 cases produced."
- Item #: i_275300Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 93 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "Intriguing aromas of red cherry, mulberry, turned earth and rainy gravel show on the nose of this bottling by one of the region's earliest producers. The palate is dark and earthy with flavors of boysenberry, star anise, rhubarb and cardamom pods, all wrapped in fresh acidity."
- Item #: i_241270Bottle Size: 750mlBlock M is a wind swept mesa on Melville's western parcel adjacent to our Terraces block. Sitting atop a sun exposed mesa with several feet of botella clay soil, the extremity of Block M is enhanced by the gravitational pull on three exposed sides forcing the roots to search deeper for sustenance. Block M is made up of equal amounts of clones 114 and 115. The lesser known 114 is lush, velvety and textural with an elegantly pliant internal core, while clone 115 delivers fruit at a higher pitch coupled with a more structurally pronounced personality. The marriage of these complementary components is what renders Melville's Block M bottling so complete. 20% of the fruit was gently destemmed with 80% remaining as whole clusters.
Boasting a dark crimson hue, the Block M bottling is always layered with richness. Vivid aromatics of rosemary, cinnamon stick and star lily are intertwined with the warmth of ripe persimmon, mulberry and cherry pie filling. Texturally, the wine is crisp and fresh on the palate, with an intense tannin profile that finishes with gorgeous purity and length.
- Item #: i_241360Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90Vinous Media: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 90 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The 2015 Pinot Noir Estate (Sta. Rita Hills) is laced with sweet floral notes and bright, red-toned fruit. Delicate and medium in body, and made in a decidedly gracious, open-knit style, it is a good choice for drinking now and over the next few years."
JEB DUNNUCK 90 POINTS - "The 2015 Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills is the largest production cuvee of the estate and it's a year in, year out value. The 2015 (this was also reviewed last year) is a spice-filled, cherry, and forest floor-scented effort that has medium-bodied depth and richness, the focused style of the vintage, and a good finish. It's showing slightly better than this time last year and should age gracefully going forward."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2015 Pinot Noir Estate reveals aromas of red cherry, fresh herbs and strawberry preserve, followed by a supple, medium-bodied, succulent palate with a saline, savory finish. Fermented with some whole bunches and matured in neutral barrels, this is very much in the Melville style to which readers will have become accustomed."
- Item #: i_241370Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The recently bottled 2016 Pinot Noir Block M is the most powerful and tight-knit of these Pinot Noir cuvees, unwinding in the glass with aromas of cherry preserve, hard candy, herbs and wood smoke. On the palate, it's full-bodied, concentrated and textural, with a deep core of fruit and a firm chassis of fine-grained tannins. This will need a few years in the cellar before hitting its stride."
- Item #: i_249600Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsPeake Ranch is a boutique winery owned by John & Gillian Wagner. Like all of us who have visited Santa Barbara County, the couple fell in love with the beautiful country side and the friendliness of the people.. They purchased Peake Ranch with a vision of building a winery and a house on the property. Years later they are in their third vintage garnering rave reviews from the top critics. Paul Lato leads the team as winemaker and with nearly two decades of experience, has earned critical acclaim with top critics along with placements of his own wines in top restaurants in the United States, Europe and Japan!
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "There are three Pinot Noirs from Peake Ranch, all brilliant wines. Black cherries, black raspberries, smoked herbs, and hints of licorice define the bouquet of the 2016 Pinot Noir Santa Rita Hills, which is the entry level Pinot Noir of this estate. It's a rich, concentrated, powerful Pinot Noir that has moderate tannins, good acidity, and beautiful upfront charm. Aged 18 months in 62% new French oak, drink it any time over the coming 6-7 years."
Winery Notes - A compelling example of what can be achieved with Pinot Noir from Santa Rita Hills, this wine captures the natural balance and complexity of this special appellation. The aromas blend bright cherries and blueberries with a subtle and distinguished earthiness expressed as dried oregano, white pepper and black tea. An engaging, seductive texture is supported with a backbone of French oak and finely- grained tannins.
- Item #: i_276504Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsFruit is hand-picked at optimal ripeness and gently sorted at the winery. The fruit is then gently transported to two ton stainless steel fermenters. A saignee is pulled after a day or two help concentrate the flavors and color. Over the next 10-12 days, native yeast fermentation takes place. From there, the fermenter is emptied into a small stainless steel basket press, which then gently and methodically presses the wine for a continuous 6-8 hour cycle. The wine then goes into French oak barrels (25% is new). Secondary fermentation occurs during the following Spring/Summer. The finished wine is neither fined nor filtered before being bottled via gravity.
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "The 2015 Pinot Noir Sta Hills is a winner. Ripe black cherries, raspberries, ground herbs, pepper, and earthy notes all flow to a beautifully layered, textured Pinot Noir that has nicely integrated acidity, loads of upfront charm, and a great finish. Aged 22 months in 25% new French oak, drink it any time over the coming 8-10 years."
- Item #: i_260240Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "Just bottled, the 2016 Pinot Noir (Sta. Rita Hills) is positively stellar. Powerful and deep in the glass, with unusual depth, the 2016 has so much to offer. There is a level of sheer richness I have never seen in this bottling before. Blue and purplish berry fruit, lavender and spice flavors are all amped up. This is a very serious wine at the appellation level. Then again, the core of this wine is now composed of vineyards that belong to Domaine de la Cote. If there is one wine that over delivers big time in 2016, Sandhi's Santa Rita Hills Pinot is it. Don't miss it."
- Item #: i_257550Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleThis wine is deep violet red in color and is bursting with raspberry, black cherry, pepper and clove notes. The palate delivers dusty berry flavors framed nicely by bright acidity and supple tannins, and the finish is long and complex.
- Item #: i_257580Bottle Size: 750MLThis Pinot is bright red ruby in color and is bursting with black raspberry and orange peel, along with savory notes of lavender and white pepper. The palate delivers dense dusty, berry flavors with balanced acid and tannin structure, which carries on with a long & lovely finish.
- Item #: i_222140Bottle Size: 750mlThee Two Sisters wines are named after Bill and Carol Foley's daughters Lindsay and Courtney. The wines come from the best blocks of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir from Lindsay's and Courtney's vineyards in the Sta. Rita Hills AVA. These limited-production bottlings feature heritage, heirloom and select clones chosen specifically for their inherent attributes and compatibility with the terroir of each vineyard block.
This limited production Reserve 2015 is an elegant, sophisticated wine for the true Pinot Noir connoisseur. The nose is filled with dark fruit notes of spicy plum, earthy pomegranate and cacao. Intense black pepper and juicy blackberry flavors fill the palate with accents of cured tobacco. The nicely structured mouthfeel is followed by lingering black cherry on the finish.