Pinot Noir is a red wine grape variety of the species Vitis vinifera. Pinot Noir grapes are grown around the world, mostly in the cooler regions, but the grape is chiefly associated with the Burgundy region of France. Other regions that have gained a reputation for Pinot Noir include the Willamette Valley of Oregon, the Carneros, Central Coast and Russian River AVAs of California, the Walker Bay wine region of South Africa, Tasmania and Yarra Valley in Australia and the Central Otago, Martinborough and Marlborough wine regions of New Zealand. Pinot Noir is also a primary variety used in sparkling wine production in Champagne and other wine regions. It is widely considered to produce some of the finest wines in the world, but is a difficult variety to cultivate and transform into wine. The grape's tendency to produce tightly packed clusters makes it susceptible to several viticultural hazards involving rot that require diligent canopy management. The thin-skins and low levels of phenolic compounds lends Pinot to producing mostly lightly colored, medium bodied low tannin wines that can often go through dumb phases with uneven and unpredictable aging. When young, wines made from Pinot Noir tend to have red fruit aromas of cherries, raspberries and strawberries. As the wines age, Pinots have the potential to develop vegetal and "barnyard" aromas that can contribute to the complexity of the wine.
- Item #: i_276541Bottle Size: 750mlAged 9 months in barrel, 16% new French oak. · Moderately light ruby red color in the glass. The nose opens nicely over time in the glass, offering fresh aromas of dark red cherry, spice and dusty oak. Light weighted and easy going, with bright flavors of cherry, strawberry and mocha. Lacy in texture with silky tannins and a cherry-fueled finish. A simple but redeeming wine.
- Item #: i_227970Bottle Size: 750mlFrancis Ford presents another refreshingly-priced Pinot with refreshing Pinot character! Every Francis Coppola Diamond Collection wine is made with grapes grown in California regions best suited to each varietal. This one is sourced from specific sites within Monterey. The smallest of these vineyards lies on the eastern side of the Salinas Valley, where its loamy sand soils provide ideal drainage, thus adding to the concentration and density of the wine. The largest vineyard is just below the Santa Lucia Highlands, enjoying coastal fog and Pacific breezes that allow for a long growing season.
Displaying a deep garnet color, the enticing bouquet blooms with strawberry and hints of lavender and cherries, followed by a palate of dried cranberry, spice and earth.
- Item #: i_228290Bottle Size: 750mlThe Hahn Family has been farming in the Santa Lucia Highlands area since the late ‘70s with land purchased to graze livestock. It didn’t take long for Nicky Hahn to see a much greater potential for his acreage and by 1980 had produced his first wine. The region’s climate was unique from surrounding areas and over the next 8 years it gained its status as an AVA thanks to Nicky Hahn leading the charge. Over the years the family has acquired additional Vineyards in the region totaling 650 acres all sustainably farmed and family operated.
- Item #: i_228210Bottle Size: 750mlSince 1980 the Hahn family has cultivated their hillside vineyards in Monterey County. Today, Hahn Winery remains committed to crafting rich, supple wines which consistently over deliver on quality. The grapes for this wine were grown in the Arroyo Seco appellation of Monterey County, which sits on a gravelly alluvial plain beneath the Santa Lucia mountain range. Cool winds from Monterey Bay ensure gradual ripening and development of vibrant flavors. The rocky soils allow excellent drainage, enhancing intensity and promoting balanced ripeness and acidity.
This wine’s bouquet charms with scents of red cherry, ripe strawberry, cola and spice. On the palate soft mouthfeel complements flavors recalling plums and black cherry. upple tannins and a dash of acidity end in a beautifully balanced, clean finish.
- Item #: i_238150Bottle Size: 750mlThis 2015 vintage marks the 10th release of our Fog’s Reach Pinot Noir. It is the darkest wine we have ever produced, and is second only to the 2012 in terms of tannin structure. Pure varietal aromas of strawberry, rhubarb and linseed are melded with our signature roasty French oak barrel signature. Cardamom spice and ripe fruits linger on the finish.
- Item #: i_238670Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Completely destemmed, the 2017 Pinot Noir Garys' Vineyard has a beautiful fruit-forward character as well as notes of bright cherries, raspberries, flowers, and vanilla bean. It's another medium to full-bodied, seamless wine in the lineup that has outstanding balance as well as length. Drink it any time over the coming 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_241550Bottle Size: 750mlA rich, deep red – the color of Bing cherries – this wine opens with scents of dark berries, pomace, and the woodiness of a hiking path in a redwood forest. Soft, powdery traces of old-fashioned lipstick add an intriguing element to the nose. Entry is smooth, with bright cherry flavors and a "berry basket" of blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries. Pomace and brown spice infuse the palate, which is round and coats the mouth. An initial flash of fruit gives way to soft tannins, natural acidity, and an evocative earthy character. The finish is unusually long, with hints of cranberry adding an unexpected note to the mix of this wine’s many layers.
- Item #: i_276710Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 90 POINTS - "Light bright red. Vibrant, smoke-accented red berry scents pick up suggestions of succulent herbs and minerals with air. Juicy, focused and spicy on the palate, offering fresh raspberry and bitter cherry flavors and five-spice powder and smoked meat nuances. Closes long and spicy, displaying resonating red fruit character and smooth tannins."
- Item #: i_245000Bottle Size: 750MLThe "Twelve Clones" Pinot Noir is drawn from the finest vineyards of the Santa Lucia Highlands appellation, including Morgan's organic "Double L" estate - which, in the 2017 vintage, accounted for 47% of the final blend. The "Twelve Clones" designation denotes the original, diverse Pinot plantings at the Double L. Cloudy mornings, mid-day sunshine and strong winds, and evening fog create a cool Region I type climate. The long growing season allows for gentle ripening, creating intense flavors with balanced acidity.
The 2017 Twelve Clones demonstrates the power and finesse of Pinot Noir from the Santa Lucia Highlands. It displays aromas of black cherry, cola, and graham cracker. Flavors of raspberry are complemented by notes of jolly rancher and toasted caramel. Perfectly poised with fresh acidity, this wine is incredibly food-friendly. It's a wonderful accompaniment to roast chicken and grilled salmon, as well as almost any duck, beef or lamb preparation.
- Item #: i_247340Bottle Size: 750mlOver centuries, the French have carefully singled out the most coveted vines in Bordeaux and Burgundy, naming each vine with a unique number to identify its exceptional attributes. Here in California, they planted a selection of these French vines exactly where they will flourish best. 667 Pinot Noir was inspired by treasured Dijon Clone 667 which adds luscious structure and texture to the wine. The gentle slopes of the Monterey vineyard estate produce a well-balanced cool-climate Pinot Noir with concentrated flavors and supple tannins.
The nose is a pleasing blend of sweet cherries and blueberries dusted with a touch of earth, a hint of cocoa and dark floral tones (violets). The palate grabs the fruit baton and runs with it; Bing cherries, mixed red and dark berries, good acidity and lush tannins lead to a rich finish with fruit flavors reverberating for minutes and minutes. This will kill with turkey and all the fixings but can also be enjoyed on its own, or with poached salmon, veal Parmesan or grilled lamb. Cheers!
- Item #: i_255120Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Both deeper and darker than the Rosella's Vineyard, the 2017 Pinot Noir Garys' Vineyard offers more blackberry, toasted spice, dried earth, and some garrigue-like notes, with just a hint of background oak. It too is medium-bodied, elegant, and seamless on the palate, with beautiful balance."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Refined and precise, with good cut to the dried red currant and raspberry flavors, backed by firm acidity and silky tannins. Savory and underbrush notes emerge on the powerful finish. Drink now through 2024."
- Item #: i_253180Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "In the same league, the 2017 Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard (70% new French oak) has the most salinity as well as minerality in the lineup. Dusty earth, blackberries, violets, and rose garden-like characteristics all soar from the glass. It's ethereal and elegant on the palate, yet has the classic Pisoni power and tension front and center. It will be better with a year of bottle age and keep for a decade. It’s another thrilling wine from winemaker Scott Shapley and the team at Roar."
- Item #: i_253190Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Rosella's Vineyard is a pretty, elegant effort that has a sunny style in its strawberry, spice, and dried herb aromas and flavors. Picking up a kiss of orange rind and citrus with time in the glass, it's medium-bodied and seamless on the palate, with plenty of upfront charm."
- Item #: i_255140Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "One of the standouts in the vintage is the 2017 Pinot Noir Sierra Mar Vineyard. This brilliant wine comes from more decomposed granite and gravelly soils and was brought up in 71% new French oak. Thrilling notes of crushed rocks, rose petals, gravelly minerality, and ample black cherry and black raspberry fruit all flow to layered, medium to full-bodied Pinot Noir that carries remarkable intensity yet stays weightless and balance. It's pure class."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Rich and plush, revealing a sinewy power to the dried cherry, macerated plum and red currant flavors. Luxuriantly spiced, with a long, creamy finish of cardamom, dried ginger and chocolate hints. Well-crafted and elegantly styled. Drink now through 2025."
- Item #: i_255130Bottle Size: 750MLIn the hills of California's Monterey County lies an area that grows some of the very best Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Syrah. This area is known as the Santa Lucia Highlands. Like many other famed grape growing regions of the state, what once was known for orchards and vegetables farms has become heralded for their grapes, and Roar's Franscioni family is regarded as having one of the top vineyards in the area. In fact, the Franscioni's Rosella's and Sierra Mar Vineyards are in such demand, due to the stellar quality of fruit pulled off the vines, that the finished wines command prices similar to what is found in the Russian River Valley!
Chocolate, bright red fruits and dusty scrub brush aromas comes together in the 2017 Santa Lucia Highlands Pinot Noir - a lovely example of what the region has to offer. Strawberry and cherry fill the palate, supported by leather and herbs. Through the finish, the fruit is full and bolstered by earthy, dark accents, and lifted by a bit of spice and savory olive.
- Item #: i_268270Bottle Size: 750mlTalbott's "Diamond T" Pinot Noir is made using a selection of the finest Dijon clone grapes. It has a deep, vibrant color and aromas of ripe fruit and exotic spices. The palate provides rich flavors of cherry, plum and spice, with clean, crisp acidity and supple tannins. Aging in 80 percent new French oak has contributed to the tannin structure, as well as the complexity of this wine, which concludes with a round, lingering finish. This wine is a cool-climate Pinot Noir that shows the power and elegance of the Diamond T Vineyard.