- Item #: i_208810Bottle Size: 750mlTerry Bering is the cellarmaster for Rochioli Vineyards. When he isn't busting his hump helping out the Rochioli family produce fantastic wines, Terry works on his own Pinot Noir Project! Terry makes flavorful, aromatic, and wonderfully nuanced wines that do justice to his Rochioli vineyard source.
The wine has really bright fruit tones of cherry and currants with a background of earth and mushroom. Aside from the flavor and nose the 2017 has an extremely pleasant effect on you that is noticeable in all higher quality wines. As with all my pinots, the 2016 has a long lingering finish that leaves you craving more. The wine tastes good now but it is better the next day and still great the 3rd day so the longer you wait to drink it the better it will be.
- Item #: i_214050Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "A classic Russian River Pinot, Dehlinger's 2017 Pinot Noir Goldridge is bold and succulent, with tons of presence and immediacy. Crushed red berries, spice and sweet red berry fruit all grace this super-expressive Pinot. Hints of dried cherry, hard candy, strawberry and sweet spice all add complexity. Best of all, the 2017 will drink well right out of the gate."
- Item #: i_210130Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A savory, juicy, well-structured style, featuring chocolate nib hints to the dark currant and rooibos tea flavors. The taut finish is minerally, with rose petal accents. Drink now through 2024."
- Item #: i_219330Bottle Size: 750MLIf this label looks familiar, it's because it comes from the same owners as Far Nientte, Nickel & Nickel and Dolce! Their first release was the 2007, and while we're always a bit skeptical of Cabernet producers dabbling in Pinot noir, one taste left us wanting seconds, thirds and fourths! Now that the 2012 has dropped, it is every bit as good as its predecessors. En Route owns two fantastic Pinot Noir properties: Graton Vineyard and the highly-esteemed Amber Ridge Vineyard! Both vineyards are planted to several different clones for added complexity and nuances.
The nose instantly fills with luscious aromas of juicy ripe red cherry, raspberry, star jasmine, with a light spice and mineral earthiness that while subdued, is still stark. Upon entry, the palate is silky and layered with flavors that are reflective of this wine's aromatics—bright red fruit, rose petal and a touch of forest floor. The 2017 "Les Pommiers" boasts an exceptional purity of fruit, flavor and expression as it culminates in a bright, mouthwatering finish.
- Item #: i_219950Bottle Size: 750mlThis blend marries eight vineyards from around the Russian River Valley, taking advantage of varied climates and unique site characteristics to create a rich and complex wine. The Hop Kiln, Rochioli, and Bacigalupi vineyards are located in the Middle Reach Subdivision, where close proximity to the river awards foggy mornings, warm and sunny days, and cool nights. The Toboni and Nonella vineyards are located in the Santa Rosa Plain, a distinctly cooler and foggier sub-region, and the Hallberg and Dutton sites within the Green Valley sub-appellation exibit even more extreme and cooler conditions.
This beautiful Pinot Noir displays the qualities of an exceptional, yet small vintage, expressing purity of place, boasting aromas of ripe Bing cherry, juicy raspberry and tangerine zest, with hints of underbrush and dried herbs from the whole-cluster inclusion. Flavors of wild berry, rosemary, black tea and rose petal unfold on the palate, followed by hints of cedar box that acentuate the rich fruit flavors. The fine-grained, slightly firm tannins develop into a soft, velvety finish, complemented by mouthwatering, vibrant acidity.
- Item #: i_228700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Fog Dance Vineyard comes from a vineyard located on a hillside in Green Valley, south of the town of Forestville (which gets a lot of fog, hence the name), and was brought up in 47% new French oak. It shows its cooler region nicely yet still has plenty of richness and depth, offering spiced cherry and berry fruits as well as autumn leaves, spice, and dried herb aromas and flavors. Silky, medium to full-bodied, and beautifully balanced, It's a complete, thoroughly satisfying Pinot Noir that has the capacity to evolve positively for a solid 7-8 years."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Fog Dance Vineyard is creamy and voluptuous in the glass, with tremendous richness. A wine of real substance, the Fog Dance is going to need at least a few years to come together. Red and purplish fruit, pomegranate, blood orange, lavender and star anise build as this potent Pinot shows off its multi-faceted personality."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Medium ruby-purple colored, the 2017 Pinot Noir Fog Dance Vineyard is a little closed to begin, opening out to Black Forest cake, mulberries and kirsch scents plus hints of dark chocolate, wild thyme, lavender and charcuterie. Medium-bodied, the palate delivers fantastic intensity with loads of red berry and savory layers and a pleasant chew to the texture, finishing with an herbal lift. 317 cases were made."
- Item #: i_274570Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsNamed in honor of co-proprietor Jennifer Hartford, this wine is defined by its power, concentration of fruit, structure and an underlying elegance. A wine that is built to age, Jennifer's proves that not all Pinot Noirs are shy, retiring, delicate souls. Jennifer's Pinot is sourced from a vineyard in the windy and very cool Sebastopol Hills sub region of the Russian River Valley AVA. Jennifer's Pinot is planted primarily to clone 23 and is known for very small berries, low yields and a high skin-to-pulp ratio. The dark color, intense black fruit aroma and flavor profile are a testament to the terroir of this site.
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "One of the standouts in the lineup, the 2017 Pinot Noir Jennifer's comes from a vineyard south of Sebastopol, which sees lots of influence from the Petaluma Gap. Brought up largely in neutral oak (32% new), its deeper ruby/purple hue is followed by terrific notes of black raspberries, cedarwood, bay leaf, forest floor, and graphite. This head-turner is medium-bodied and has beautiful concentration, bright yet integrated acidity, and a killer finish. Locked and loaded, it needs 2-3 years of bottle age at a minimum, and my money is on it drinking brilliantly at age 20. It's a stunning, singular wine from this estate!"
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Medium ruby-purple colored, the 2017 Pinot Noir Jennifer's comes charging out of the gate with bold raspberry coulis, kirsch and warm redcurrant scents plus nuances of wild sage, damp soil, fallen leaves and spice box. Full-bodied, the palate is jam-packed with red berry preserves and earthy layers, framed by firm, fine-grained tannins, finishing long and perfumed. 298 cases were made."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "One of the standouts in this tasting, the 2017 Pinot Noir Jennifer's is fabulous. Super-ripe red and purplish fruit, rose petal, lavender, game and blood orange infuse the 2017 with striking character. The Jennifer's is one of the more savory wines in the range. I especially admire the wine's aromatic depth, but there are many dimensions here to discover."
- Item #: i_228820Bottle Size: 375mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 Points**Please note, this is a half sized bottlePLEASE NOTE THIS IS A 375mL BOTTLE
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "A crazy good value, the 2017 Pinot Noir Russian River Valley is the appellation release from this team, and it comes from all of the estate vineyards across the Green Valley, Laguna Ridge, and Sebastopol regions. Complex notes of strawberries, cranberries, violets, pine forest, and flowers all flow to a medium-bodied Pinot Noir that has a kiss of salinity and marine notes, ripe tannins, and a great finish. This beautiful wine competes with wines costing 2-3 times the price."
- Item #: i_233030Bottle Size: 750MLThe 2017 J Vineyards Russian River Valley Pinot Noir offers outstanding balance and opens with generous aromas of red cherry, raspberry, wild strawberry and spice. The palate delivers a lovely, smooth texture and notes of licorice, pomegranate and toast accented by a pleasing touch of red tea on the lingering finish.
- Item #: i_275597Bottle Size: 750mlMartinelli's Bella Vigna label is curated from all of their estate vineyards in the Sonoma Coast appellation. They wanted to create an appellation blend that reflects the characteristics of their Sonoma Coast vineyards and is still true to our Martinelli style. Bella Vigna translates to "Beautiful Vines", so their winemaking team chose barrels that best denote the flavor profiles of their vineyards, showcasing how beautiful the fruit from the Sonoma Coast can be. The 2017 Bella Vigna Pinot Noir has a nose of dried cherry, licorice, and blueberry and ripe flavors of mouth-coating strawberry and dried cherry.
- Item #: i_216991Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Impressive clarity and purity of red and blue-fruit aromas, as well as subtly earthy complexity. The palate has a beautifully silky core of ripe red and black cherries. Velvety tannins. Really even and long. Drink or hold."
Classic SONOMA COAST aromas of ripe red raspberry, Bing cherry and pomegranate explode from the glass. These vibrant red berry flavors are echoed on the lush, silky palate, where they mingle with notes of blackberry and hints of French oak-inspired spice.
- Item #: i_229610Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Moving to the Pinot Noirs, the 2017 Pinot Noir Russian River Valley is the appellation release from Hobbs, and it's brought up all in French oak. Black raspberries, bouquet garni, crushed flowers, and honeyed strawberry notes all emerge from this beautifully polished, medium-bodied, seamless effort. With lots of upfront fruit, plenty of underlying depth and structure, and a great finish, it's a winner. Drink it over the coming decade."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir is pale to medium ruby-purple colored and reveals gregarious notes of crushed black and red cherries, warm raspberries and mulberries with touches of baking spices, red roses and spearmint. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is completely packed with red and black berry layers, framed by plush tannins and a lively line, finishing long and spicy. 7,265 cases produced, to be released in March 2019."
- Item #: i_273604Bottle Size: 750MLThis wine has complex yet delicate nose of white pepper, fig reduction, black raspberry, cardamom and prosciutto. Layered and packed with fruit, it is round with powdery tannins that are both balanced and concentrated.
- Item #: i_228260Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - " 'Pricing is important to me, says Steven Hansel. 'In the marketplace, most people treat wine like a commodity—if people are willing to pay $100, that's what it's sold for—without any relation to what it actually costs to make. If we're going to get young people to drink wine, they can't pay those prices. I believe young people would like to enjoy wine, but they don't have the resources. So, why are we raising prices? If we charge too much, they'll buy tequila or something else—and then we're all out of a job.' An astute observation. The Hansel wines, besides being delicious, provide excellent value. Bravo!"
"Pale to medium ruby-purple, the 2017 Pinot Noir Cahill Lane has a broody nose of sliced blueberry, black cherry and warm blackberries with cinnamon, nutmeg, tree bark and amaro accents plus crushed red cherries, raspberry jam, warm strawberries and dried flowers. Medium-bodied and silky, it fans out in the mouth with lush, concentrated fruits and tons and tons of spicy and earthy accents, with a firm frame of grainy tannins and very juicy acidity, finishing very long and layered. 750 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "This is a superb set of wines from Stephen Hansel. In my view, the Hansel Chardonnays and Pinots are quintessential expressions of the Russian River Valley. Best of all, these are some of the most fairly priced wines readers will find anywhere in the world."
"The 2017 Pinot Noir Cahill Lane Vineyard is soft, creamy and voluptuous, all of which give it tremendous raciness and immediacy, especially for this wine and given its bottling just two weeks before I saw it. Ripe red cherry/raspberry, mint, chalk and floral notes abound. The Cahill Lane is surprisingly, shockingly open at this stage, not that that will be an issue of any kind."
- Item #: i_228380Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93To put it bluntly, if you enjoy balanced, flavorful, and complex Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays, then the Walter Hansel Winery should be on your radar...plain and simple! Winemaker Stephen Hansel crafts masterpieces year-in and year-out from his family's 75+ acres in Russian River Valley, creating Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays that remind us of premier cru Burgundy.
The Russian River Valley is regarded as one of the best regions in the world for growing top notch Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. For that reason, it is not uncommon for prices to exceed $75-$100 for a bottle from some producers...but not this producer. Stephen Hansel knows that if wineries keep charging elevated prices, then people start to look elsewhere. Even esteemed wine critic Antonio Galloni states that "these are some of the most fairly priced wines readers will find anywhere in the world."
So here we have somebody who makes wines from one of the best regions in the world, doesn't make a lot of them, he gets high scores from the critics, and charges reasonable prices?? Folks, if this doesn't get your attention, then check your pulse, because Walter Hansel Winery has been one of our favorite Sonoma County producers for over a decade, and the wines are guaranteed to rock your world!
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir The North Slope Vineyard is one of the more voluptuous, racy wines in this range. Ample and creamy, with tremendous resonance, the 2017 has a lot to offer. Plush fruit and silky tannins add to the wine's considerable immediacy and overall appeal."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - " 'Pricing is important to me,' says Steven Hansel. 'In the marketplace, most people treat wine like a commodity—if people are willing to pay $100, that's what it's sold for—without any relation to what it actually costs to make. If we're going to get young people to drink wine, they can't pay those prices. I believe young people would like to enjoy wine, but they don't have the resources. So, why are we raising prices? If we charge too much, they'll buy tequila or something else—and then we're all out of a job.' An astute observation. The Hansel wines, besides being delicious, provide excellent value. Bravo!"
"The 2017 Pinot Noir The North Slope has a pale to medium ruby-purple color and scents of Bing cherry, blackberries, tart cranberry, dried citrus peel, tobacco leaf and tree bark with dried rose petals. It's medium-bodied, silky and intense with nuanced fruits, grainy tannins and juicy freshness, finishing very long and savory. 1,070 cases produced."