Pinot Noir is a red wine grape variety of the species Vitis vinifera. Pinot Noir grapes are grown around the world, mostly in the cooler regions, but the grape is chiefly associated with the Burgundy region of France. Other regions that have gained a reputation for Pinot Noir include the Willamette Valley of Oregon, the Carneros, Central Coast and Russian River AVAs of California, the Walker Bay wine region of South Africa, Tasmania and Yarra Valley in Australia and the Central Otago, Martinborough and Marlborough wine regions of New Zealand. Pinot Noir is also a primary variety used in sparkling wine production in Champagne and other wine regions. It is widely considered to produce some of the finest wines in the world, but is a difficult variety to cultivate and transform into wine. The grape's tendency to produce tightly packed clusters makes it susceptible to several viticultural hazards involving rot that require diligent canopy management. The thin-skins and low levels of phenolic compounds lends Pinot to producing mostly lightly colored, medium bodied low tannin wines that can often go through dumb phases with uneven and unpredictable aging. When young, wines made from Pinot Noir tend to have red fruit aromas of cherries, raspberries and strawberries. As the wines age, Pinots have the potential to develop vegetal and "barnyard" aromas that can contribute to the complexity of the wine.
- Item #: i_207300Bottle Size: 750mlWINE MAKER - "A lovely wine. A skinny-dip dive through just-right water. Forest-floor earthliness, dark, savory spice and a slight touch of bright red fruit combine with a silky palate that lingers over its poised, age-worthy structure. Then, theres the crisp acidity that keeps the wine lively and intertwines gracefully with the structure. So serious, yet balanced and approachable. This is the Balletto pinot style. The wine has struck a fine balance and will improve during the next three to five years (or more) in bottle."
- Item #: i_202610Bottle Size: 750mlThe Russian River Valley is recognized as one of the world's most ideal regions for growing Pinot Noir. Just a few miles from the Pacific ocean, the Russian River Valley benefits from natural air conditioning in the form of cool and often foggy air that arrives in the evening, then retreats the following morning. The result is a longer growing season which allows Pinot Noir to develop full flavors while retaining its natural acidity. The unique soils of the region also contribute exponentially to the quality of the wine grapes grown in them. Over millions of years water flowing off the mountains has carried with it eroded volcanic deposits and ancient, uplifted bedrock, while the Russian River has deposited large amounts of alluvial material to form prime benchlands.
This wine has a ruby-red color with sparkling garnet highlights, followed by aromatics of wild blackberry, Santa Rosa plum and strawberry with hints of oregano, sage and white pepper. Ripe on the palate with raspberry, boysenberry, black-fruit jam and warming spices, this finishes with moderate acidity and velvety tannins.
- Item #: i_208810Bottle Size: 750mlTerry Bering is the cellarmaster for Rochioli Vineyards. When he isn't busting his hump helping out the Rochioli family produce fantastic wines, Terry works on his own Pinot Noir Project! Terry makes flavorful, aromatic, and wonderfully nuanced wines that do justice to his Rochioli vineyard source.
The wine has really bright fruit tones of cherry and currants with a background of earth and mushroom. Aside from the flavor and nose the 2016 has an extremely pleasant effect on you that is noticeable in all higher quality wines. As with all my pinots, the 2016 has a long lingering finish that leaves you craving more. The wine tastes good now but it is better the next day and still great the 3rd day so the longer you wait to drink it the better it will be.
- Item #: i_210130Bottle Size: 750mlThis 2016 Pinot Noir leads with high-energy fruit aromas of deep, dark black cherry leaping out of the glass. Plush black raspberry notes follow, complemented by a rhubarb earthiness and rose petal floral notes. In the mouth, the wine is both rich and lively, one of our favorite qualities of great Pinots, with juicy blackberry flavors edged with redwood and spice box. The finish is especially succulent, bringing you back for another sip. This crowd-pleaser of a wine offers versatility in pairing, matching with anything from a chunk of aged Gouda to eggplant parmesan, pasta or pizza to roasted game birds or lamb.
- Item #: i_219330Bottle Size: 750MLIf this label looks familiar, it's because it comes from the same owners as Far Nientte, Nickel & Nickel and Dolce! Their first release was the 2007, and while we're always a bit skeptical of Cabernet producers dabbling in Pinot noir, one taste left us wanting seconds, thirds and fourths! Now that the 2012 has dropped, it is every bit as good as its predecessors. En Route owns two fantastic Pinot Noir properties: Graton Vineyard and the highly-esteemed Amber Ridge Vineyard! Both vineyards are planted to several different clones for added complexity and nuances.
The nose instantly fills with luscious aromas of juicy ripe red cherry, raspberry, star jasmine, with a light spice and mineral earthiness that while subdued, is still stark. Upon entry, the palate is silky and layered with flavors that are reflective of this wine's aromatics—bright red fruit, rose petal and a touch of forest floor. The 2017 "Les Pommiers" boasts an exceptional purity of fruit, flavor and expression as it culminates in a bright, mouthwatering finish.
- Item #: i_218570Bottle Size: 750MLAlways a crowd-pleaser in Eric Kent's Pinot roster, Stiling Vineyard gaves some lovely raw materials to work with once again. Coming off of the dense and muscular 2015 vintage, the 2016 shows a more precise and energetic side of this massively popular Russian River favorite. While the wine is definitely the fullest-bodied Pinot they made this year, it maintains an alluring sense of balance. Loads of creamy, smoky, ripe Bing and black cherries dosed with warm baking spices (clove and nutmeg predominantly) and the typically long, satisfying Stiling finish.
- Item #: i_220640Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93100% destemmed fruit go through native yeast primary and malolactic fermentations followed by aging sur lies for 11 months in French oak (25% new). Bottled unfined and unfiltered. Keefer Ranch Vineyard lies in the southwestern-most corner of the Green Valley of the Russian River Valley, this vineyard was planted in 1988 by Marcy and Robert Keefer. Currently, there are 13 acres of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay on sandy Goldridge series soils.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Plush, featuring creamy notes that accent the concentrated cherry tart, dark plum and currant flavors, taking on a pastrylike richness. Sandalwood and spice details linger on the finish, with chocolate hints. Drink now through 2023."
- Item #: i_219950Bottle Size: 750mlThis blend marries eight vineyards from around the Russian River Valley, taking advantage of varied climates and unique site characteristics to create a rich and complex wine. The Hop Kiln, Rochioli, and Bacigalupi vineyards are located in the Middle Reach Subdivision, where close proximity to the river awards foggy mornings, warm and sunny days, and cool nights. The Toboni and Nonella vineyards are located in the Santa Rosa Plain, a distinctly cooler and foggier sub-region, and the Hallberg and Dutton sites within the Green Valley sub-appellation exibit even more extreme and cooler conditions.
This beautiful Pinot Noir displays the qualities of an exceptional, yet small vintage, expressing purity of place, boasting aromas of ripe Bing cherry, juicy raspberry and tangerine zest, with hints of underbrush and dried herbs from the whole-cluster inclusion. Flavors of wild berry, rosemary, black tea and rose petal unfold on the palate, followed by hints of cedar box that acentuate the rich fruit flavors. The fine-grained, slightly firm tannins develop into a soft, velvety finish, complemented by mouthwatering, vibrant acidity.
- Item #: i_228830Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Medium to deep ruby-purple colored, the 2016 Hartford Court Pinot Noir Arrendell Vineyard is a little youthfully mute to begin, opening out to display gorgeous rose hip tea, kirsch and warm cranberries with hints of dried thyme, black soil and tree bark plus a hint of fungi. The medium to full-bodied palate completely coats the mouth with earth-laced red berry and kirsch notions, framed by very firm, very fine-grained tannins and great freshness, finishing very long with a compelling herbal lift. 348 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Arrendell Vineyard emerges from the heart of this well-known site. Soaring aromatics make a strong first impression. Blood orange, mint and rose petal are all beautifully lifted in the glass. Medium in body, gracious and exotic, the Arrendell has a lot to say."
- Item #: i_274570Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+Named in honor of co-proprietor Jennifer Hartford, this wine is defined by its power, concentration of fruit, structure and an underlying elegance. A wine that is built to age, Jennifer's proves that not all Pinot Noirs are shy, retiring, delicate souls. Jennifer's Pinot is sourced from a vineyard in the windy and very cool Sebastopol Hills sub region of the Russian River Valley AVA. Jennifer's Pinot is planted primarily to clone 23 and is known for very small berries, low yields and a high skin-to-pulp ratio. The dark color, intense black fruit aroma and flavor profile are a testament to the terroir of this site.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "Medium ruby-purple colored, the 2016 Hartford Court Pinot Noir Jennifer's sashays out of the glass with heart-stopping violets and lilacs over a core of redcurrants, Bing cherries, mulberries and black raspberries plus wafts of underbrush, spice box, black tea and black pepper. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is packed with spice and earth layers, framed by firm, fine-grained tannins and finishing very long and mineral-laced. 348 cases produced."
- Item #: i_229050Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "The 2016 Hartford Court Pinot Noir MacLean's Block is medium to deep ruby-purple in color and opens with fragrant notions of wild blueberries, redcurrant jelly, cranberry pie and kirsch plus hints of oolong tea, mossy bark and truffles. Medium to full-bodied, taut and firmly structured, it delivers tons of black and blue fruit layers sparked by earthy accents, finishing long and earthy. 302 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir MacLean's Block is plump, juicy and quite sensual in feel. Soft contours and silky tannins help push the fruit forward. Red cherry jam, pomegranate, blood orange, spice, lavender and mint build as this succulent Pinot shows off its considerable charms."
- Item #: i_228860Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90It's hard to find a better Russian River Valley Pinot Noir for the money than this one right here! This bottling is a melange of fruit from several key and distinct vineyards from across the valley. In fact, much of this wine is comprised of barrels from their single-vineyard program! Aromas of blackberries, boysenberry, nutmeg and smoke are followed by flavors of Bing cherries, wild raspberries, roasted plum and allspice. A compelling & dense entry followed by a sweet and juicy mouthfeel is supported by balanced acidity, fine grain tannins and an intriguingly, complex finish.
- Item #: i_228820Bottle Size: 375mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 Points**Please note, this is a half sized bottlePLEASE NOTE THIS IS A 375mL BOTTLE
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "A crazy good value, the 2017 Pinot Noir Russian River Valley is the appellation release from this team, and it comes from all of the estate vineyards across the Green Valley, Laguna Ridge, and Sebastopol regions. Complex notes of strawberries, cranberries, violets, pine forest, and flowers all flow to a medium-bodied Pinot Noir that has a kiss of salinity and marine notes, ripe tannins, and a great finish. This beautiful wine competes with wines costing 2-3 times the price."
- Item #: i_233030Bottle Size: 750MLThe 2016 J Vineyards Russian River Valley Pinot Noir offers outstanding balance and opens with generous aromas of red cherry, raspberry, wild strawberry and spice. The palate delivers a lovely, smooth texture and notes of licorice, pomegranate and toast accented by a pleasing touch of red tea on the lingering finish.
- Item #: i_267960Bottle Size: 750MLTasting notes: A blend of wine from Trenton Estate, Trenton View, Saralee’s, Catie’s Corner, Ritchie, and Great Oak. Brilliant garnet/ruby color. A potpourri of red fruit with a hint of ripe herbal notes on the nose. Although it was aged in approximately 1/3 new oak the oak is not at all apparent. In the mouth it is soft yet softly structured with ample acidity and only the faintest hint of tannin. Pretty red fruits are in evidence in the long finish. Another C 3 we are very proud of!
- Item #: i_236380Bottle Size: 750MLScented with sweet SPICE, ripe CHERRY, dark CHOCOLATE and coffee bean. Flavors of fresh black plum, subtle layers of TOASTY oak and tobacco leaf. Richly textured, supple tannins, lingering exotic spice finish.
- Item #: i_236930Bottle Size: 750mlThis Estate Vineyard provides Landmark with 93 acres of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Pinot Gris grapes. The vineyard is planted with 4 clones of Chardonnay and 14 clones of Pinot Noir dispersed over 44 separate blocks. With 5 distinctly different vineyard plots based upon elevation, topography and soils and with some vines nearly 30 years old, the complexity of Landmark's Hop Kiln Estate Vineyard is a new source of inspiration for winemaker, Greg Stach, and an incomparable source for top quality fruit for years to come.
Aromas of lush blackberry, raspberry, with a violet floral note. The palate is fresh with bright raspberry and dried strawberry fruit, rich cherry cola and baking spice with a rounded texture and savory, dried autumn leaf notes leading to a fresh finish with balanced round tannins and sustained fruit and spice.
- Item #: i_238820Bottle Size: 750mlLynmar Estate's 2017 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir showcases the purity and vibrancy of the region with nuanced texture and bright aromatics. At its core, the wine is comprised of Lynmar's three Russian River vineyards - Quail Hill, Susanna's, and Adam's - along with neighboring properties that share their same viticultural philosophies. A saturated ruby color in the glass, this vintage showcases aromas of ripe strawberry, Santa Rosa plum, fresh rhubarb, and black tea. On the palate, flavors of bing cherry, hibiscus, and orange blossom are followed by undertones of baking spice and clove. A textured finish echoes notes of strawberry, black tea, and spice.
- Item #: i_216859Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleSince the first vintage in 2001, Migration has developed a refined and compelling style that balances vibrancy and finesse. Defined by the idea of movement, Migration is dedicated to going beyond Goldeneye's Anderson Valley origins and exploring Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from the finest cool-climate winegrowing regions. This exploration has taken them to the storied vineyards of California's Russian River Valley, where clockwork fog and Goldridge sandy loam soils have contributed to a Pinot Noir with beautiful, high-tone red fruit flavors of strawberry, cherry and cranberry and enticing hints of orange-cinnamon spice.
- Item #: i_216991Bottle Size: 750MLClassic Russian River Valley aromas of ripe red raspberry, Bing cherry and pomegranate explode from the glass. These vibrant red berry flavors are echoed on the lush, silky palate, where they mingle with notes of blackberry and hints of French oak-inspired spice.
- Item #: i_250510Bottle Size: 750mlThey focus on cool-climate Pinot Noir from Green Valley, the coldest region of the famed Russian River Valley. Fog flows from the Pacific Coast along the Russian River and through the Petaluma Wind Gap, converging on this small area. Orogeny's grapes are grown on five small vineyards, each only five to ten acres, which were selected to display the bright fruit characteristics of classic Green Valley Pinot Noir. Their limited size permits Orogeny to use hands-on farming techniques. The vines are planted on ridges in Gold Ridge soils, a mix of sandy loam over sandstone and clay. These sites provide excellent drainage, which promotes even ripening and concentrated flavors.
- Item #: i_229610Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 92JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "These latest releases from Paul Hobbs are pretty much sensational across the board and Hobbs’ finds a rare mix of purity and elegance matched to richness and concentration that hits all my sweet spots. Hobbs commented that 2016 was a perfect vintage where everything came together easily, and the resulting wines have a terrific sense of elegance, purity an balance that make them already irresistible, yet will also allow them to age gracefully. In addition, the lineup is easy to understand; Hobbs makes an appellation blend Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, and two single vineyards of each variety."
"Leading off the Pinot Noirs, the 2016 Pinot Noir Russian River Valley is a classic wine from this region as well as a great example of the style of this estate. Ripe black cherries, currants, flowers, and earthy notes all flow to a full-bodied, concentrated 2016 that has a beautiful sense of purity and elegance. Drink it anytime over the coming decade."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Pinot Noir reveals pronounced black cherries, wild blueberries, baking spices and dark chocolate notes plus an alluring waft of red roses. Full-bodied, concentrated and plushly textured, it fills the palate with decadent fruit and tons of spicy accents, finishing with fantastic length. 6,944 cases were made."
- Item #: i_230520Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Produced from Old Wente Hyde Selection clones, the 2017 Chardonnay Ellen Lane Estate leaps from the glass with gregarious notions of candied ginger, lemongrass, yuzu zest and allspice with a core of green mango and pineapple plus a waft of crushed rocks. Medium to full-bodied, the palate features a truly zippy line of freshness lifting the densely packed, opulent tropical and spice layers to a very long finish. Fantastic tension! 434 cases were made, to be released in March 2019."
- Item #: i_237300Bottle Size: 750mlThis Pinot Noir has rich aromas of raspberry jam and brandy-macerated cherries. Its luxurious density and beautiful structure are hallmarks of the vintage. Round flavors and balanced tannins finish with nuances of vanilla and star anise.