Pinot Noir is a red wine grape variety of the species Vitis vinifera. Pinot Noir grapes are grown around the world, mostly in the cooler regions, but the grape is chiefly associated with the Burgundy region of France. Other regions that have gained a reputation for Pinot Noir include the Willamette Valley of Oregon, the Carneros, Central Coast and Russian River AVAs of California, the Walker Bay wine region of South Africa, Tasmania and Yarra Valley in Australia and the Central Otago, Martinborough and Marlborough wine regions of New Zealand. Pinot Noir is also a primary variety used in sparkling wine production in Champagne and other wine regions. It is widely considered to produce some of the finest wines in the world, but is a difficult variety to cultivate and transform into wine. The grape's tendency to produce tightly packed clusters makes it susceptible to several viticultural hazards involving rot that require diligent canopy management. The thin-skins and low levels of phenolic compounds lends Pinot to producing mostly lightly colored, medium bodied low tannin wines that can often go through dumb phases with uneven and unpredictable aging. When young, wines made from Pinot Noir tend to have red fruit aromas of cherries, raspberries and strawberries. As the wines age, Pinots have the potential to develop vegetal and "barnyard" aromas that can contribute to the complexity of the wine.
- Item #: i_200740Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "Aromas of plums, strawberries and hints of toasted oak and smoke. Medium to full body, creamy tannins and an attractive, bitter, smoky finish. Some citrus, too. Drink now. Screw cap."
- Item #: i_207300Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine combines full and captivating aromatics with a delicate texture that defines the Balletto style of Pinot Noir. The wine itself is full of contradictory forces: it’s weighty with a luscious mid-palate, but also surrounded by notable tannins and acidity that keep it focused, balanced and taut. It has plenty of dark fruit, but it’s also layered with savory earth and spices that offset it.
- Item #: i_202610Bottle Size: 750mlThe Russian River Valley is recognized as one of the world's most ideal regions for growing Pinot Noir. Just a few miles from the Pacific ocean, the Russian River Valley benefits from natural air conditioning in the form of cool and often foggy air that arrives in the evening, then retreats the following morning. The result is a longer growing season which allows Pinot Noir to develop full flavors while retaining its natural acidity. The unique soils of the region also contribute exponentially to the quality of the wine grapes grown in them. Over millions of years water flowing off the mountains has carried with it eroded volcanic deposits and ancient, uplifted bedrock, while the Russian River has deposited large amounts of alluvial material to form prime benchlands.
This wine has a ruby-red color with sparkling garnet highlights, followed by aromatics of wild blackberry, Santa Rosa plum and strawberry with hints of oregano, sage and white pepper. Ripe on the palate with raspberry, boysenberry, black-fruit jam and warming spices, this finishes with moderate acidity and velvety tannins.
- Item #: i_220290Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "From a Russian River Valley site planted in 2007, the 2017 Pinot Noir Jentoft Vineyard Ryan is a selection of Swan and Calera clones and sees 15 months in 45% new French oak. This brilliant wine knocks it out of the park with its complex bouquet of darker fruits, smoked earth, and spice. Medium to full-bodied, incredibly layered and multi-dimensional on the palate, it's a complete, flawless balanced, incredibly impressive wine that will benefit from 2-3 years of bottle age and cruise over the following decade. This lineup is stacked with terrific wines, but this is one of the standouts."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94-97 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Ryan Jentoft Vineyard is a stunner. Sweet, rich and explosive, the 2017 boasts striking inner perfume and fabulous balance. Sweet purplish berry fruit, lavender, spice and mint all lift from the glass in this vivid, exceptionally beautiful Pinot Noir. All the elements fall into place."
- Item #: i_210130Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A savory, juicy, well-structured style, featuring chocolate nib hints to the dark currant and rooibos tea flavors. The taut finish is minerally, with rose petal accents. Drink now through 2024."
- Item #: i_223075Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "Our 2016 Hallberg Ranch Pinot is pure, elegant, layered and complex. Our unique dry-farming methods allow the grapes to develop beautifully full flavors without becoming overripe. This vineyard has been thoughtfully planted with 11 different clones of Pinot Noir which creates a lovely layered complexity to the wine. Our 2016 Hallberg Ranch is reminiscent of a warm black cherry tart dusted with cinnamon. There are hints of caramelized sugar and freshly toasted almonds. The wine is driven by dark spices and earth, with a sturdy frame from fine-grained tannins. All of these elements seamlessly combine to create the distinctive wine that is Hallberg Ranch."
- Item #: i_219330Bottle Size: 750MLIf this label looks familiar, it's because it comes from the same owners as Far Nientte, Nickel & Nickel and Dolce! Their first release was the 2007, and while we're always a bit skeptical of Cabernet producers dabbling in Pinot noir, one taste left us wanting seconds, thirds and fourths! Now that the 2012 has dropped, it is every bit as good as its predecessors. En Route owns two fantastic Pinot Noir properties: Graton Vineyard and the highly-esteemed Amber Ridge Vineyard! Both vineyards are planted to several different clones for added complexity and nuances.
The nose instantly fills with luscious aromas of juicy ripe red cherry, raspberry, star jasmine, with a light spice and mineral earthiness that while subdued, is still stark. Upon entry, the palate is silky and layered with flavors that are reflective of this wine's aromatics—bright red fruit, rose petal and a touch of forest floor. The 2017 "Les Pommiers" boasts an exceptional purity of fruit, flavor and expression as it culminates in a bright, mouthwatering finish.
- Item #: i_220640Bottle Size: 750MLOriginally Keefer Ranch, located in the southwestern corner of Green Valley in the Russian River Valley, was planted in 1988 by Marcy and Robert Keefer. Marcy continued to farm the Ranch with 13 acres of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay planted to it for 29 years, of which 11 years in Failla began to work with the Keefers. The vines grow upon beds of sandy goldridge loam just below the fog line providing a desirable cool climate influence. The grapes were harvested near the end of September and were 20% cluster, native yeast fermented before being aged for 11 months in new French oak. The wine is bottled unfined and unfiltered.
Aromatically the wine has notes of bright, juicy red cherries as well as an unmistakable bramble perfume. On the palate, the wine is rich with flavors of red berry pie, lovely baking spices, and balancing acidity.
- Item #: i_219950Bottle Size: 750mlThis blend marries eight vineyards from around the Russian River Valley, taking advantage of varied climates and unique site characteristics to create a rich and complex wine. The Hop Kiln, Rochioli, and Bacigalupi vineyards are located in the Middle Reach Subdivision, where close proximity to the river awards foggy mornings, warm and sunny days, and cool nights. The Toboni and Nonella vineyards are located in the Santa Rosa Plain, a distinctly cooler and foggier sub-region, and the Hallberg and Dutton sites within the Green Valley sub-appellation exibit even more extreme and cooler conditions.
This beautiful Pinot Noir displays the qualities of an exceptional, yet small vintage, expressing purity of place, boasting aromas of ripe Bing cherry, juicy raspberry and tangerine zest, with hints of underbrush and dried herbs from the whole-cluster inclusion. Flavors of wild berry, rosemary, black tea and rose petal unfold on the palate, followed by hints of cedar box that acentuate the rich fruit flavors. The fine-grained, slightly firm tannins develop into a soft, velvety finish, complemented by mouthwatering, vibrant acidity.
- Item #: i_228860Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2018 Hartford Court Russian River Valley Pinot Noir comes from a collection of small vineyards located throughout the Russian River Valley AVA, including Hartford Estate, Fog Dance, Hailey's Block, Jennifer's, MacLean's Block and Arrendell. Hartford makes single-vineyard bottlings from all of these, and those wines sell for $60 and above, yet the Hartford family utilizes these vineyards for this amazing Russian River Valley Pinot Noir, and this one sells for less than $30!!
The Russian River Valley is one of THE best places in the world for growing Pinot Noir. The cooling winds from the Pacific Ocean spread throughout the area, and help to moderate the temperatures throughout the day, whereas vineyards just to the east are exceptionally warmer. Also, the soils are a mix of sand, clay, and silt. The clay brings richness to a wine, while the sand brings more flowered aromatics and brightness in the wine. If you ask us, this sounds like the recipe for Pinot Noir perfection!
- Item #: i_228820Bottle Size: 375mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 Points**Please note, this is a half sized bottlePLEASE NOTE THIS IS A 375mL BOTTLE
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "A crazy good value, the 2017 Pinot Noir Russian River Valley is the appellation release from this team, and it comes from all of the estate vineyards across the Green Valley, Laguna Ridge, and Sebastopol regions. Complex notes of strawberries, cranberries, violets, pine forest, and flowers all flow to a medium-bodied Pinot Noir that has a kiss of salinity and marine notes, ripe tannins, and a great finish. This beautiful wine competes with wines costing 2-3 times the price."
- Item #: i_233030Bottle Size: 750MLThe 2016 J Vineyards Russian River Valley Pinot Noir offers outstanding balance and opens with generous aromas of red cherry, raspberry, wild strawberry and spice. The palate delivers a lovely, smooth texture and notes of licorice, pomegranate and toast accented by a pleasing touch of red tea on the lingering finish.
- Item #: i_236380Bottle Size: 750MLScented with sweet SPICE, ripe CHERRY, dark CHOCOLATE and coffee bean. Flavors of fresh black plum, subtle layers of TOASTY oak and tobacco leaf. Richly textured, supple tannins, lingering exotic spice finish.
- Item #: i_236930Bottle Size: 750mlThis Estate Vineyard provides Landmark with 93 acres of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Pinot Gris grapes. The vineyard is planted with 4 clones of Chardonnay and 14 clones of Pinot Noir dispersed over 44 separate blocks. With 5 distinctly different vineyard plots based upon elevation, topography and soils and with some vines nearly 30 years old, the complexity of Landmark's Hop Kiln Estate Vineyard is a new source of inspiration for winemaker, Greg Stach, and an incomparable source for top quality fruit for years to come.
Aromas of lush blackberry, raspberry, with a violet floral note. The palate is fresh with bright raspberry and dried strawberry fruit, rich cherry cola and baking spice with a rounded texture and savory, dried autumn leaf notes leading to a fresh finish with balanced round tannins and sustained fruit and spice.
- Item #: i_238820Bottle Size: 750mlLynmar's 2018 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir showcases the purity and vibrancy of the region with nuanced texture and bright aromatics. At its core, this wine is comprised of Lynmar's three Russian River Valley vineyards (Quail Hill, Susanna's and Adam's), along with neighboring properties that share their same viticultural philosophies.
A brilliant rose color in the glass, this wine exudes juicy aromatics of baked strawberry, dragon fruit and cherry cola. A focused but generous entry on the palate leads way to tastes of cherry juice, ripe red plum and baking spice culminating in lively tannins and a persistent finish. Enjoy upon release.
- Item #: i_275597Bottle Size: 750mlMartinelli's Bella Vigna label is curated from all of their estate vineyards in the Sonoma Coast appellation. They wanted to create an appellation blend that reflects the characteristics of their Sonoma Coast vineyards and is still true to our Martinelli style. Bella Vigna translates to "Beautiful Vines", so their winemaking team chose barrels that best denote the flavor profiles of their vineyards, showcasing how beautiful the fruit from the Sonoma Coast can be. The 2017 Bella Vigna Pinot Noir has a nose of dried cherry, licorice, and blueberry and ripe flavors of mouth-coating strawberry and dried cherry.
- Item #: i_216859Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleSince the first vintage in 2001, Migration has developed a refined and compelling style that balances vibrancy and finesse. Defined by the idea of movement, Migration is dedicated to going beyond Goldeneye's Anderson Valley origins and exploring Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from the finest cool-climate winegrowing regions. This exploration has taken them to the storied vineyards of California's Russian River Valley, where clockwork fog and Goldridge sandy loam soils have contributed to a Pinot Noir with beautiful, high-tone red fruit flavors of strawberry, cherry and cranberry and enticing hints of orange-cinnamon spice.
- Item #: i_216991Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Impressive clarity and purity of red and blue-fruit aromas, as well as subtly earthy complexity. The palate has a beautifully silky core of ripe red and black cherries. Velvety tannins. Really even and long. Drink or hold."
Classic SONOMA COAST aromas of ripe red raspberry, Bing cherry and pomegranate explode from the glass. These vibrant red berry flavors are echoed on the lush, silky palate, where they mingle with notes of blackberry and hints of French oak-inspired spice.
- Item #: i_250510Bottle Size: 750mlThey focus on cool-climate Pinot Noir from Green Valley, the coldest region of the famed Russian River Valley. Fog flows from the Pacific Coast along the Russian River and through the Petaluma Wind Gap, converging on this small area. Orogeny's grapes are grown on five small vineyards, each only five to ten acres, which were selected to display the bright fruit characteristics of classic Green Valley Pinot Noir. Their limited size permits Orogeny to use hands-on farming techniques. The vines are planted on ridges in Gold Ridge soils, a mix of sandy loam over sandstone and clay. These sites provide excellent drainage, which promotes even ripening and concentrated flavors.
- Item #: i_229610Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Moving to the Pinot Noirs, the 2017 Pinot Noir Russian River Valley is the appellation release from Hobbs, and it's brought up all in French oak. Black raspberries, bouquet garni, crushed flowers, and honeyed strawberry notes all emerge from this beautifully polished, medium-bodied, seamless effort. With lots of upfront fruit, plenty of underlying depth and structure, and a great finish, it's a winner. Drink it over the coming decade."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir is pale to medium ruby-purple colored and reveals gregarious notes of crushed black and red cherries, warm raspberries and mulberries with touches of baking spices, red roses and spearmint. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is completely packed with red and black berry layers, framed by plush tannins and a lively line, finishing long and spicy. 7,265 cases produced, to be released in March 2019."
- Item #: i_237300Bottle Size: 750mlThis Pinot Noir has rich aromas of raspberry jam and brandy-macerated cherries. Its luxurious density and beautiful structure are hallmarks of the vintage. Round flavors and balanced tannins finish with nuances of vanilla and star anise.
- Item #: i_273604Bottle Size: 750MLThis wine has complex yet delicate nose of white pepper, fig reduction, black raspberry, cardamom and prosciutto. Layered and packed with fruit, it is round with powdery tannins that are both balanced and concentrated.
- Item #: i_228380Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir The North Slope Vineyard is one of the more voluptuous, racy wines in this range. Ample and creamy, with tremendous resonance, the 2017 has a lot to offer. Plush fruit and silky tannins add to the wine's considerable immediacy and overall appeal."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - " 'Pricing is important to me,' says Steven Hansel. 'In the marketplace, most people treat wine like a commodity—if people are willing to pay $100, that's what it's sold for—without any relation to what it actually costs to make. If we're going to get young people to drink wine, they can't pay those prices. I believe young people would like to enjoy wine, but they don't have the resources. So, why are we raising prices? If we charge too much, they'll buy tequila or something else—and then we're all out of a job.' An astute observation. The Hansel wines, besides being delicious, provide excellent value. Bravo!"
"The 2017 Pinot Noir The North Slope has a pale to medium ruby-purple color and scents of Bing cherry, blackberries, tart cranberry, dried citrus peel, tobacco leaf and tree bark with dried rose petals. It's medium-bodied, silky and intense with nuanced fruits, grainy tannins and juicy freshness, finishing very long and savory. 1,070 cases produced."