- Item #: i_204050Bottle Size: 750MLClark and Telephone Vineyard, located near the corner of Clark Avenue and Telephone Road in the Santa Maria Valley, is cooled by wind and fog that snakes in from the Pacific Ocean along a channel of the Santa Maria River. Established in 1972, the Clark and Telephone Vineyard was planted "own root" to the Martini clone. This heirloom clone of Pinot Noir, one of the first to grace the California coastlands, has become something of a lost treasure.
In the winery, the clusters were de-stemmed and the must underwent a cold soak. Fermentation began with the inoculation of yeast strains matched to each lot of grapes. The maceration process during fermentation consisted of a combination of punch-down and pump-over techniques, each day the techniques would be reassessed to ensure that we were riding the line between over extraction and under extraction. The wine was aged in French oak (60% percent new) for nine months and was racked once upon completion of malolactic fermentation and again upon blending.
Scarlet in color; bursting with aromas of cinnamon, caramel and hints of ginger-spiced tea. On the palate, the plush weight coats the mouth with more brown spice and sweet oak flavors, layered into the deep blueberry and strawberry base. The viscosity paired with the flavors and lively acidity lead into a long finish with supple tannins.
- Item #: i_215530Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir (Santa Barbara County) is bright, lifted and absolutely delicious. Sweet floral notes and bright, red toned fruit give this gracious, ethereal Pinot tons of class. This is an impeccable wine in its peer group. Deovlet's appellation wines are often overachievers, as is very much the case here."
- Item #: i_215960Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsIf you've ever had any of the Dagueneau Sauvignon Blancs from France's Loire Valley, then you know those wines are things of beauty. It was over a glass of Dagueneau that brothers Steve and John Dragonette and close friend Brandon Sparks-Gillis decided to leave their jobs at a Los Angeles wine shop and search throughout Santa Barbara's Santa Ynez Valley to find vineyards that could best exemplify the enticing characteristics of this grape. They have found those vineyards, and now their Sauvignon Blancs have become some of our favorites! The Vogelzang Vineyard is our favorite bottling of Sauvignon Blanc from the boys. Situated on a gently sloping bed of well-drained, gravelly loam with serpentine, the warm to hot summer days and cool to cold evenings is ideal for promoting full phenolic ripeness while still retaining critical acidity.
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Sauvignon Blanc Vogelzang Vineyard comes from more gravelly soils and spent 12 months in 10% new oak followed by six months in tank. It's the most exotic of the releases and has a big perfume of exotic flowers, white currants, figs, and honeysuckle. Beautifully textured, medium-bodied, with good acidity but plenty of richness and length, it's another singular, gorgeous Sauvignon Blanc from this estate that's up with the best of the best."
- Item #: i_222650Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsBill Wathen and Dick Dore have been making wine together since 1985, when they founded Foxen Winery and Vineyard at the historic Rancho Tinaquaic in northern Santa Barbara County. Since that time, their dedication has remained the same - the creation of very small production, sustainably-farmed, vineyard-focused wines using a "minimalist" approach to winemaking. Foxen is named in memory of William Benjamin Foxen, an English sea captain and Dick's great-great grandfather, who came to Santa Barbara in the early 1800s and purchased the Rancho Tinaquaic. Captain Foxen adopted the distinctive "anchor" as his cattle brand, which became the trademark of the winery. Foxen is at home on the history Rancho Tinaquaic with its solar-powered winery, tasting room and 7200 "shack."
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "I loved the nose of the 2017 Pinot Noir Santa Maria Valley. It just screams Pinot Noir with its spiced cherry, raspberry, white pepper, and sappy herb aromas and flavors. Medium-bodied, nicely textured, fresh, and lively on the palate, it's a smoking little Calif Pinot Noir well worth checking out. This cuvee was just 25% destemmed and spent 9 months in used French oak. There are 3,500 cases produced."
- Item #: i_269720Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "Pale to medium ruby, the 2017 Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard Block 5 opens with scents of rhubarb, raspberry, red berries and blueberries with herbs, tobacco leaf, orange peel, cinnamon stick and amaro. The palate is light to medium-bodied, silky and intense with gently chalky tannins and integrated freshness, finishing long and layered. 282 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "Tyler's 2017 Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard - Block 5 is dark, juicy and exuberant. One of the more forward, lush wines in the range, the 2017 impresses with its fruit density and breadth. Clay-rich soils on gravel and fully destemmed fruit, with small berries, yield a Pinot endowed with notable depth and textural resonance. Black cherry, plum, dried herbs and leather build into the potent finish."