Pinot Noir is a red wine grape variety of the species Vitis vinifera. Pinot Noir grapes are grown around the world, mostly in the cooler regions, but the grape is chiefly associated with the Burgundy region of France. Other regions that have gained a reputation for Pinot Noir include the Willamette Valley of Oregon, the Carneros, Central Coast and Russian River AVAs of California, the Walker Bay wine region of South Africa, Tasmania and Yarra Valley in Australia and the Central Otago, Martinborough and Marlborough wine regions of New Zealand. Pinot Noir is also a primary variety used in sparkling wine production in Champagne and other wine regions. It is widely considered to produce some of the finest wines in the world, but is a difficult variety to cultivate and transform into wine. The grape's tendency to produce tightly packed clusters makes it susceptible to several viticultural hazards involving rot that require diligent canopy management. The thin-skins and low levels of phenolic compounds lends Pinot to producing mostly lightly colored, medium bodied low tannin wines that can often go through dumb phases with uneven and unpredictable aging. When young, wines made from Pinot Noir tend to have red fruit aromas of cherries, raspberries and strawberries. As the wines age, Pinots have the potential to develop vegetal and "barnyard" aromas that can contribute to the complexity of the wine.
- Item #: i_202540Bottle Size: 750mlJack Niven pioneered winegrape planting with Paragon Vineyard in the Edna Valley in 1973. Not the bystander type, his wife Catharine soon after began a project that grew into what is now Baileyana Winery. In the mid 1990s, their two sons, James and John, purchased property next door, and expanded Paragon Vineyard. They designed and planted these new blocks with select clones, varieties and rootstocks specific to the site. They named this section Firepeak, in homage of the extinct volcanoes in the area, and the resulting volcanic soils.
Aromas of bright cherry, blackberry, rose petal and hints of spice burst from the glass of this bright and nicely balanced Pinot Noir. Flavors of dark fruit, blueberry, mocha and cola flavors along with soft supple tannins create a beautiful finish.
- Item #: i_202640Bottle Size: 750mlFor Pinot Noir, the cream really does rise to the top. Pinot Noir is such a transparent grape that any faults or follies in the growing and winemaking process are amplified in the finished wine. Therefore, when we find a Pinot Noir that shines above the rest, and at the same time doesn't break the bank, we wouldn't be doing our jobs if we didn't let you know about it. And let us say, we've done our homework on this one to bring you a fantastic buy!
Bishop's Peak wines are handcrafted by Talley Vineyards to capture the varietal and regional diversity of San Luis Obispo County. The grapes for the wines come from small vineyard sites in Arroyo Grande Valley, Edna Valley, and Paso Robles. Some of these sites are owned by the Talley family while others are owned by growers who share the family's commitment to quality. This wine shows many of the similar qualities, nuances, and complexities of Pinot Noirs that sell for more than $25 a bottle, but seeing at this sells under $15 a bottle, this is one heck of a bargain!
- Item #: i_232440Bottle Size: 750mlLet's be blunt, finding a delicious Pinot Noir around the $10 mark is very hard to find, as Pinot Noir is a fickle grape, and only likes to grow in near perfect climates. But as soon as we tried this beauty, everybody fell in love with it. And when we found out we could retail it for just $12, there wasn't a person on the wine staff whose eyes didn't pop out of their heads like a cartoon character.
No joke, if this wine was priced just under $20, it would still be worth the money, and we have not found a domestic Pinot Noir value like this in quite some time! Sourced from Monterey, this wine has a dark ruby color with a great nose of cherry, cola, and a wonder floral component. Flavors of cherry, cola, plum, herb, are intermixed with lovely acid to keep it fresh, lively, and not too heavy. While this is a juicy and upfront wine, this has the texture and secondary characteristics of a wine that costs much, much more.
- Item #: i_238900Bottle Size: 750MLThis Pinot Noir was crafted almost entirely with fruit from Olson Ranch, a spectacular vineyard in the Central Coast's Santa Lucia Highlands appellation known for producing elegant, nuanced Pinot Noir. This phenomenal site is heavily in fluenced by the nearby Pacific Ocean, making this a cool and windy site characterized by clay loam soils over fractured limestone. The Pinot Noir grapes grown here deliver classic, cool-climate Pinot flavors of red cherry and raspberry. Deep ruby in color, MacMurray's Central Coast Pinot Noir opens with delicate notes of black cherry, raspberry and pomegranate, accented by a distinct spice character that typifies Olson Ranch . Velvety soft tannins meld with ripe red fruit flavors to create a smooth mouth feel and long finish.
- Item #: i_274540Bottle Size: 750mlSean Minor's Central Coast Pinot Noir displays aromas of cherry, strawberry, and raspberry fruit with a hint of earthy notes. On the palate, the Pinot offers bright flavors of strawberry and cherry combined with hints of tobacco. The bright acidity combined with sweet oak results in a lingering finish.