- Item #: i_274430Bottle Size: 750mlThis is a blend of 40% Syrah, 35% Mourvedre, 19% Grenache, 4% Carignan, and 2% Tannat. Russel writes his tasting notes like a story, and he writes: "You never thought you'd get this far, but the wood-paneled bar with neon-lit signs has dissolved into your apartment balcony, where she's hungry and waiting. Frying up a grilled cheese in the kitchen you realize you're not kids anymore, so you're trying to channel your inner Thomas Keller, chopping fresh rosemary and sage, sizzling bacon, spreading pepper jelly. She hand-rolls a cigarette as you split the sandwich. Miles away, thunder rolls. The air turns earthy and sweet. Let it fill the space between you until the rain begins."
- Item #: i_230990Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92The actions of the San Andreas and the heavy rains and high winds, assisted by the chainsaws of man and sharp hooves of sheep, have created the current landscape on which the Hirsch Vineyards are planted. Gone are the deep soils and compost of the rain forest, all washed away into the creeks, leaving thin soils over sandstone based assemblage of intermixed heavy clays, sandy loams, and clay loams. Blended into this mix in random ratios is a melange of rocks varying in origins and type from igneous to metamorphic to sedimentary shale so degraded it can be crushed by hand.
The diversity of this vineyard, emphasized and cared-for by David Hirsch, have made this property a beacon for wineries searching out the best Pinot Noir fruit in Sonoma, including the likes of Williams and Selyem, Failla, Lioco, and Siduri.
The San Andreas Fault is Hirsch Vineyards' signature Pinot Noir and is crafted to give the drinker a complete picture of this complex vineyard. The 2016 San Andreas Fault has fruit from 27 distinct farming blocks within Hirsch Vineyards, more than any wine produced from this site. It is named for the fault-line which marks the meeting of the North American and Pacific tectonic plates, snaking its way up the California coast and passing less than a mile from Hirsch.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Pale to medium ruby, the 2017 Pinot Noir San Andreas Fault has a delicately played nose with touches of cinnamon stick, dried leaves, perfumed earth and a mineral vein plus rose petal perfume, red berries and black fruit sparks. The palate is light to medium-bodied with delicate intensity and well-balanced fruit and earth character, knit by grainy tannins and juicy freshness, finishing long and nuanced. 3,740 cases produced."
- Item #: i_275674Bottle Size: 750mlFor the winery's top-of-the-line bottling, the best barrels are blended from the best vineyards. The goal is to achieve balance and complexity in a graceful and elegant, yet compelling and complete expression of Pinot Noir from the region."HIGHLINER" is a barrel selection (70% new French oak) of maritime-cooled vineyards in Santa Barbara County, combining the forward fruit and richness of the Santa Maria Valley, with the earthiness and structure of fruit from the Sta. Rita Hills. The blend of vineyards can change with each vintage depending on which ones produce the best of the best for that particular growing season.
- Item #: i_233030Bottle Size: 750MLThe 2017 J Vineyards Russian River Valley Pinot Noir offers outstanding balance and opens with generous aromas of red cherry, raspberry, wild strawberry and spice. The palate delivers a lovely, smooth texture and notes of licorice, pomegranate and toast accented by a pleasing touch of red tea on the lingering finish.
- Item #: i_235510Bottle Size: 750mlSonoma Coast Pinot Noir has a ruby color with red tints. Fruit aromas in this bottling are more subdued with hints of white cherries and strawberries. There is a savory component to this wine on the palate. Nuances of dry green herbs and black olives combine with a layered red fruit profile. There is a freshness in the finish reflecting the wines vibrant natural acidity. This wine will age and develop for 5-7 years.
- Item #: i_236380Bottle Size: 750MLScented with sweet SPICE, ripe CHERRY, dark CHOCOLATE and coffee bean. Flavors of fresh black plum, subtle layers of TOASTY oak and tobacco leaf. Richly textured, supple tannins, lingering exotic spice finish.
- Item #: i_236495Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleAromas of pomegranate and sweet tobacco are followed by flavors of berry fruit and plums with subtle hints of exotic spice and toast. On the palate, the wine has balanced acidity and fine tannins that drive a long finish.
- Item #: i_236490Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Wine Spectator: 90WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast comes from fruit across the appellation including Russian River and Carneros. It aged nine months in 25% new oak. Pale to medium ruby, it has a bright, inviting nose of cranberries, woodsmoke, cola, bergamot and crushed black cherries with accents of earth, sweet spice, citrus peel and flowers. It's light to medium-bodied, silky and bursting with ripe fruits, enlivened by juicy acidity and finishing long and lifted. This is a great value! 253,000 cases produced."
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Lively oral components accent the finely textured flavors of red currant and dried red cherry, matched to rm acidity. Lithe and minerally on the finish."
- Item #: i_236920Bottle Size: 750mlBlending vineyards from cool climate sites in Sonoma, Monterey, and San Benito Counties, Landmark's Overlook Pinot Noir represents the best of the vintage. Quality and flavor begin in the vineyard, which is why rapport with their growers is so important. Winemaker Greg Stach becomes intimately involved in the growers' viticultural practices, and personally chooses grapes from the finest vineyards allowing him to create a wine that captures the essence of the vintage.
On the nose, the wine is rich with molasses, cherry, spearmint, black tea, cranberry and plum. The palate features notes of gingerbread spice, red raspberry and grilled mushroom with a lengthy finish of mocha, black tea and forest floor.
- Item #: i_238900Bottle Size: 750MLThis Pinot Noir was crafted almost entirely with fruit from Olson Ranch, a spectacular vineyard in the Central Coast's Santa Lucia Highlands appellation known for producing elegant, nuanced Pinot Noir. This phenomenal site is heavily in fluenced by the nearby Pacific Ocean, making this a cool and windy site characterized by clay loam soils over fractured limestone. The Pinot Noir grapes grown here deliver classic, cool-climate Pinot flavors of red cherry and raspberry. Deep ruby in color, MacMurray's Central Coast Pinot Noir opens with delicate notes of black cherry, raspberry and pomegranate, accented by a distinct spice character that typifies Olson Ranch . Velvety soft tannins meld with ripe red fruit flavors to create a smooth mouth feel and long finish.
- Item #: i_238920Bottle Size: 750mlOpulent in the glass, this wine has a garnet color and alluring red fruit aromas. The red fruit is echoed on the dynamic palate, where vibrant flavors of wild strawberry, cranberry and cocoa are underscored by a firm, acid-driven structure and fine dusty tannins that carry through to a lingering finish.
- Item #: i_275597Bottle Size: 750mlMartinelli's Bella Vigna label is curated from all of their estate vineyards in the Sonoma Coast appellation. They wanted to create an appellation blend that reflects the characteristics of their Sonoma Coast vineyards and is still true to our Martinelli style. Bella Vigna translates to "Beautiful Vines", so their winemaking team chose barrels that best denote the flavor profiles of their vineyards, showcasing how beautiful the fruit from the Sonoma Coast can be. The 2017 Bella Vigna Pinot Noir has a nose of dried cherry, licorice, and blueberry and ripe flavors of mouth-coating strawberry and dried cherry.
- Item #: i_241240Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Anna's, from one of the loamier sites on the property, naturally shows more richness and broader shoulders, along with a profile of purplish/blue fruit. Sage, lavender, mint and sweet tobacco all develop in the glass. Firm tannins need time to soften, but there is a lot to look forward to in this virile, potent Pinot from Melville."
JEB DUNNUCK 93+ POINTS - "Coming from clones 667 and 114, the 2017 Pinot Noir Anna's was also brought up all in neutral oak. It offers slightly more classic fruit-driven notes of black cherries, wood smoke, cedar, and floral notes. Clean, balanced, straight, and lively on the palate, it's very much in the style of this focused, classic vintage. It will benefit from 1-3 years of bottle age and keep for a decade."
- Item #: i_241550Bottle Size: 750mlA rich, deep red – the color of Bing cherries – this wine opens with scents of dark berries, pomace, and the woodiness of a hiking path in a redwood forest. Soft, powdery traces of old-fashioned lipstick add an intriguing element to the nose. Entry is smooth, with bright cherry flavors and a "berry basket" of blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries. Pomace and brown spice infuse the palate, which is round and coats the mouth. An initial flash of fruit gives way to soft tannins, natural acidity, and an evocative earthy character. The finish is unusually long, with hints of cranberry adding an unexpected note to the mix of this wine’s many layers.
- Item #: i_216991Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Impressive clarity and purity of red and blue-fruit aromas, as well as subtly earthy complexity. The palate has a beautifully silky core of ripe red and black cherries. Velvety tannins. Really even and long. Drink or hold."
Classic SONOMA COAST aromas of ripe red raspberry, Bing cherry and pomegranate explode from the glass. These vibrant red berry flavors are echoed on the lush, silky palate, where they mingle with notes of blackberry and hints of French oak-inspired spice.
- Item #: i_245000Bottle Size: 750MLThe "Twelve Clones" Pinot Noir is drawn from the finest vineyards of the Santa Lucia Highlands appellation, including Morgan's organic "Double L" estate - which, in the 2017 vintage, accounted for 47% of the final blend. The "Twelve Clones" designation denotes the original, diverse Pinot plantings at the Double L. Cloudy mornings, mid-day sunshine and strong winds, and evening fog create a cool Region I type climate. The long growing season allows for gentle ripening, creating intense flavors with balanced acidity.
The 2017 Twelve Clones demonstrates the power and finesse of Pinot Noir from the Santa Lucia Highlands. It displays aromas of black cherry, cola, and graham cracker. Flavors of raspberry are complemented by notes of jolly rancher and toasted caramel. Perfectly poised with fresh acidity, this wine is incredibly food-friendly. It's a wonderful accompaniment to roast chicken and grilled salmon, as well as almost any duck, beef or lamb preparation.
- Item #: i_248850Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93+Patz and Hall has become one of the most highly regarded wineries in California’s North Coast, with a celebrated portfolio of single-vineyard Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs. Their vineyard sources need to have naturally low yields, complex flavors and aromas, and the growers need to be meticulous with canopy management in order to achieve the balance of freshness with richness. Production on Patz and Hall's single-vineyard wines are low in production, which means they stagger their releases because the wines typically sell out so quickly! Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate has even stated that the wine are sure bets regardless of vintage conditions.
Hyde Vineyard is justifiably considered one of the superstar vineyards in Carneros. Purchased in 1979, and planted two years later, this 179-acre property is cultivated as 44 distinct blocks. Adding to the depth and character of this iconic site, Hyde Vineyard is planted to 10 types of Pinot Noir and six varieties of Chardonnay. Of these, the Hyde-Wente Chardonnay and Hyde-Calera Pinot Noir were isolated by Larry, and are widely considered two of the finest selections in California viticulture.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Hyde Vineyard, aged in 50% new oak, has a pale to medium ruby-purple color and a nose of cinnamon stick, charcuterie, baked cranberries, raspberries and boysenberry with oodles of violet and lilac perfume, licorice, tea leaves and fragrant earth. Light to medium-bodied, it’s bright, inviting and intense in the mouth with wonderful layering of earth, spice, amaro and floral notions. It’s energized by juicy acidity and structured with finely grained tannins, finishing long and flavorful. This is drinking beautifully now but will benefit from another year in bottle."
- Item #: i_229610Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Moving to the Pinot Noirs, the 2017 Pinot Noir Russian River Valley is the appellation release from Hobbs, and it's brought up all in French oak. Black raspberries, bouquet garni, crushed flowers, and honeyed strawberry notes all emerge from this beautifully polished, medium-bodied, seamless effort. With lots of upfront fruit, plenty of underlying depth and structure, and a great finish, it's a winner. Drink it over the coming decade."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir is pale to medium ruby-purple colored and reveals gregarious notes of crushed black and red cherries, warm raspberries and mulberries with touches of baking spices, red roses and spearmint. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is completely packed with red and black berry layers, framed by plush tannins and a lively line, finishing long and spicy. 7,265 cases produced, to be released in March 2019."
- Item #: i_244890Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "I continue to be blown away by the wines of Paul Lato, and these are unquestionably some of the most profound and exciting wines coming from the Central Coast today."
"As with all Lato's Pinot Noirs, the 2017 Pinot Noir Seabiscuit Zotovich Vineyard was completely destemmed, and this cuvee was brought up in 60% new French oak, which is on the higher end for Lato. This rich, medium to full-bodied, Burgundian styled effort is another wine that's going to benefit from short-term cellaring yet offers a brilliant bouquet of black raspberries, ground herbs, earth, and underbrush notes, with just a hint of classic Sta. Rita Hills salinity and minerality. Showing more floral nuances with time in the glass, give bottles 2-3 years in the cellar and it will shine through 2032."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Seabiscuit Zotovich Vineyard comes from 17-year-old vines planted in diatomaceous earth and sandy loam, and the wine aged for 17 months in 60% new French oak. It's medium ruby-purple in the glass and gives up wonderfully pure aromas of blueberries, spiced cranberry sauce, rhubarb, red cherry, raspberry and strawberry preserves, black cherries, peppered charcuterie, woodsmoke, dried rose petal and orange peel. Light to medium-bodied, it explodes in the mouth with flavor layers supported by firm, finely grained tannins and juicy freshness and finishes long, spicy and energetic. A powerful but elegant expression. 300 cases were made."
- Item #: i_249700Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "Peay was without question of the highlights of my January trip. The wines I tasted for this report are positively stellar, with the sole exception of the Viognier, which was off. In terms of the core wine – the Pinots and the Syrahs – they are all strikingly beautiful, compelling and flat-out gorgeous. I would be thrilled to own and drink them. I can't add much more than that."
"The 2017 Pinot Noir Estate Scallop Shelf is distinguished by its bright, focused personality and energy. As it often is, the Scallop Shelf is a wine of reserve and tension, showing plenty of savory and mineral character and less overt fruit than some of the other wines in the range. The 2017 is likely to require at least a few years to come into its own, but it is super-impressive."
- Item #: i_249920Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "There’s an impressive sense of ripe, dense dark cherries on this Estate Vineyard bottling, delivering a very attractive nose and plenty of deep flavors on the palate. Smooth, fluid and even-paced, this has good potential. Best from 2022."
- Item #: i_251150Bottle Size: 750mlPike Road Pinot Noir is made from 100% Willamette Valley fruit. Primarily sourced from six estate vineyard sites, Pike Road also include smaller lots of Pinot Noir fruit grown by trusted partners here in the Willamette Valley. By integrating fruit from multiple locations, Pike Road gains in complexity. The wine is barrel aged in 100% French oak barrels for 10 months.
Ruby red in color with aromas of ripe cherry, cola and sarparilla, this medium-bodied and fruity wine is inviting on the palate. Lush black cherry and raspberry fruit are complemented by notes of grilled bread, dusty cocoa and green pepper. Rustic with smooth tannins that round out the finish.