Pinot Noir is a red wine grape variety of the species Vitis vinifera. Pinot Noir grapes are grown around the world, mostly in the cooler regions, but the grape is chiefly associated with the Burgundy region of France. Other regions that have gained a reputation for Pinot Noir include the Willamette Valley of Oregon, the Carneros, Central Coast and Russian River AVAs of California, the Walker Bay wine region of South Africa, Tasmania and Yarra Valley in Australia and the Central Otago, Martinborough and Marlborough wine regions of New Zealand. Pinot Noir is also a primary variety used in sparkling wine production in Champagne and other wine regions. It is widely considered to produce some of the finest wines in the world, but is a difficult variety to cultivate and transform into wine. The grape's tendency to produce tightly packed clusters makes it susceptible to several viticultural hazards involving rot that require diligent canopy management. The thin-skins and low levels of phenolic compounds lends Pinot to producing mostly lightly colored, medium bodied low tannin wines that can often go through dumb phases with uneven and unpredictable aging. When young, wines made from Pinot Noir tend to have red fruit aromas of cherries, raspberries and strawberries. As the wines age, Pinots have the potential to develop vegetal and "barnyard" aromas that can contribute to the complexity of the wine.
- Item #: i_236495Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleAromas of pomegranate and sweet tobacco are followed by flavors of berry fruit and plums with subtle hints of exotic spice and toast. On the palate, the wine has balanced acidity and fine tannins that drive a long finish.
- Item #: i_236520Bottle Size: 750mlWith an initial spiced marionberry quality, the wine unwinds slowly into notes of cedar plank and delicate rose petal, framed by fine, dusty tannins. The palate is expressive with tangy notes of sarsaparilla, red currant, and warm baking spice.
- Item #: i_236510Bottle Size: 750mlBursting from the glass are notes of cranberry and juicy mulberry, followed by sarsaparilla and freshly-grated nutmeg. Bright, crisp acidity frames youthful avors of pomegranate, red cherry and sandalwood with a hint of the classic Laetitia spice. Although very approachable now, this wine will age gracefully for years to come. Look to pair with cedar-plank salmon and roasted mushrooms with herbs and goat cheese.
- Item #: i_238670Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Completely destemmed, the 2017 Pinot Noir Garys' Vineyard has a beautiful fruit-forward character as well as notes of bright cherries, raspberries, flowers, and vanilla bean. It's another medium to full-bodied, seamless wine in the lineup that has outstanding balance as well as length. Drink it any time over the coming 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_238820Bottle Size: 750mlLynmar Estate's 2017 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir showcases the purity and vibrancy of the region with nuanced texture and bright aromatics. At its core, the wine is comprised of Lynmar's three Russian River vineyards - Quail Hill, Susanna's, and Adam's - along with neighboring properties that share their same viticultural philosophies. A saturated ruby color in the glass, this vintage showcases aromas of ripe strawberry, Santa Rosa plum, fresh rhubarb, and black tea. On the palate, flavors of bing cherry, hibiscus, and orange blossom are followed by undertones of baking spice and clove. A textured finish echoes notes of strawberry, black tea, and spice.
- Item #: i_242480Bottle Size: 750mlFloral notes, highlighted by heritage rose petals, are offset with white pepper and a touch of vanilla and oak spice. Silky tannins, with medium weight, it once came with a warning: beware, a glass of this wine seems to empty faster than most.
- Item #: i_239885Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93The name Martin Ray resonates deeply in the history of California Winemaking. Martin Ray was a pioneer, dedicated to crafting single varietal, region specific wine from 1943 through 1972 in Saratoga, the heart of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Mentored by Paul Masson, he took a burgundian approach to his winemaking and developed what is now one of the most historical properties in California, known as Mount Eden.
Nearly twenty years later, Courtney Benham stumbled upon 1500 cases of Martin Ray wine in a San Jose warehouse. Recognizing his good fortune, and his intent and drive to produce terroir driven wines, Ray's historical significance and philosophy resonated with him. Courtney purchased the brand, and since 1990 has been committed to the production of artisanal wines worthy of the Martin Ray name.
Carefully chosen from various vineyards throughout the Russian River Valley and Carneros, this wine's largest components are grown only feet from the river itself, coming from Richioli, Cartan, and Tina Marie. The grapes were fermented separately in small open-top fermenters with gentle punch-downs. The fermentations were carefully maintained at moderate temperatures until dry, when the must was basket-pressed then pumped into barrels for completion of malolactic fermentation. Lots were aged for eleven months in new premium French oak barrels, along with more nuanced 1-2 year old barrels.
This Pinot Noir exemplifies the expectations of what savvy consumers have come to look forward to from classic Sonoma County Pinot. The nose has notes of ripe elderberry, black cherry, aromatic wild rose, and spicy cola, with slightly earthy undertones. French oak barrels lend support with hints of creamy vanilla and toffee without overpowering the juicy, fruit-forward palate.
JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "There's a pure subtlety to this Pinot Noir with ripe strawberries, lemons and light tar. Medium to full body, integrated and lightly chewy tannins and a savory finish. Why wait? Drink now."
- Item #: i_241060Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsThe Sandy's block is named in honor of Ron Melville's sister and was deliberately planted on the extremely sandy northwest section of their east vineyard. Sandy's has performed heroically over the years particularly when considering its extreme location combined with the poor, well drained soils of this section. This block also contains clonal material representative of their new era of plantings and includes selections from Merry Edwards, Calera (Clone 90), and clones 459 and 114. These four selections, when planted on sand, produce wildly intense and pretty aromatics with a very ethereal and harmonic palate impression.
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Similarly translucent ruby-colored, the 2017 Pinot Noir Sandy's saw 30% stems and all neutral oak. Rocking notes of ripe strawberries, autumn forest floor, salt brine, and Asian spice notes all emerge from this gorgeous effort, which is medium-bodied, with a silky texture and a fabulous finish. Complex, layered, and lengthy, it's going to keep for a decade."
- Item #: i_241550Bottle Size: 750mlA rich, deep red – the color of Bing cherries – this wine opens with scents of dark berries, pomace, and the woodiness of a hiking path in a redwood forest. Soft, powdery traces of old-fashioned lipstick add an intriguing element to the nose. Entry is smooth, with bright cherry flavors and a "berry basket" of blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries. Pomace and brown spice infuse the palate, which is round and coats the mouth. An initial flash of fruit gives way to soft tannins, natural acidity, and an evocative earthy character. The finish is unusually long, with hints of cranberry adding an unexpected note to the mix of this wine’s many layers.
- Item #: i_216859Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleSince the first vintage in 2001, Migration has developed a refined and compelling style that balances vibrancy and finesse. Defined by the idea of movement, Migration is dedicated to going beyond Goldeneye's Anderson Valley origins and exploring Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from the finest cool-climate winegrowing regions. This exploration has taken them to the storied vineyards of California's Russian River Valley, where clockwork fog and Goldridge sandy loam soils have contributed to a Pinot Noir with beautiful, high-tone red fruit flavors of strawberry, cherry and cranberry and enticing hints of orange-cinnamon spice.
- Item #: i_216991Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90James Suckling: 94JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Impressive clarity and purity of red and blue-fruit aromas, as well as subtly earthy complexity. The palate has a beautifully silky core of ripe red and black cherries. Velvety tannins. Really even and long. Drink or hold."
Classic SONOMA COAST aromas of ripe red raspberry, Bing cherry and pomegranate explode from the glass. These vibrant red berry flavors are echoed on the lush, silky palate, where they mingle with notes of blackberry and hints of French oak-inspired spice.
- Item #: i_245000Bottle Size: 750MLThe "Twelve Clones" Pinot Noir is drawn from the finest vineyards of the Santa Lucia Highlands appellation, including Morgan's organic "Double L" estate - which, in the 2017 vintage, accounted for 47% of the final blend. The "Twelve Clones" designation denotes the original, diverse Pinot plantings at the Double L. Cloudy mornings, mid-day sunshine and strong winds, and evening fog create a cool Region I type climate. The long growing season allows for gentle ripening, creating intense flavors with balanced acidity.
The 2017 Twelve Clones demonstrates the power and finesse of Pinot Noir from the Santa Lucia Highlands. It displays aromas of black cherry, cola, and graham cracker. Flavors of raspberry are complemented by notes of jolly rancher and toasted caramel. Perfectly poised with fresh acidity, this wine is incredibly food-friendly. It's a wonderful accompaniment to roast chicken and grilled salmon, as well as almost any duck, beef or lamb preparation.
- Item #: i_250010Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94After establishing his eponymous winery as one of the leaders in Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from both Napa and Sonoma, Steve Kistler has branched out and begun a new winery and named it Occidental. Steve's new winery is a slight diversion from his prior one. The Kistler wines come from prime vineyards throughout Sonoma and Napa Counties, but the name Occidental (which comes from the Latin word for "western") gives a clue to the difference in these wines, as the vineyards for Steve's new project come from vineyards that lie in the far western reaches of Sonoma County, near the coast.
The vineyard sites were chosen so the grapes would achieve total maturity at lower sugar levels, yet maintain fresh acidity. Steve Kistler had already taken notice of this cool, wind-swept region in the early 2000s, as he planted two vineyards in the area and bottled them under the "Cuvee Elizabeth" and "Cuvee Catherine" designations for the Kistler wines. The microclimate of this area results in a wine with more moderate alcohol levels, more freshness, yet continue to be full-flavored. The wines are fermented using native yeasts, manual punchdowns multiple times per day (to get full flavor, color, and aromatics), spontaneous malolactic fermentation, and aged in a combination of new and seasoned French oak barrels.
- Item #: i_230650Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-96ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93-96 POINTS - "A barrel sample, the 2017 Pinot Noir Cuvee Agustina Katherine Lindsay Estate is medium ruby-purple in color and simply sings of chocolate-covered cherries, mulberries and warm redcurrants with touches of rose hip tea, fragrant soil and dried bay leaves. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has a beautifully soft, velvety texture with plenty of freshness to lift the generous berry layers to a long finish. 250 cases will be produced and released in August 2019."
- Item #: i_251150Bottle Size: 750mlPike Road Pinot Noir is made from 100% Willamette Valley fruit. Primarily sourced from six estate vineyard sites, Pike Road also include smaller lots of Pinot Noir fruit grown by trusted partners here in the Willamette Valley. By integrating fruit from multiple locations, Pike Road gains in complexity. The wine is barrel aged in 100% French oak barrels for 10 months.
Ruby red in color with aromas of ripe cherry, cola and sarparilla, this medium-bodied and fruity wine is inviting on the palate. Lush black cherry and raspberry fruit are complemented by notes of grilled bread, dusty cocoa and green pepper. Rustic with smooth tannins that round out the finish.
- Item #: i_244990Bottle Size: 750mlPortlandia's passion is to bring you the best of what Oregon's Willamette Valley offers. They start with some natural advantages. The cool climate and coastal influences make Oregon's Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris some of the best in the world. But producing good wine in this climate still requires an enormous effort made possible only by a very creative and talented team. The people at Portlandia are very fortunate to have grower partners throughout the Willamette Valley that offer wonderful fruit, allowing the Portlandia team to bring you incredible Pinot Noir.
Bright youthful garnet color of medium intensity. Sweet ripe cherry and red plum aromas with a hint of minerality and spicy pipe tobacco. Aromas are medium-plus intensity. Aromas repeat as flavors, with a spicy lingering finish.
- Item #: i_252960Bottle Size: 750mlRaen is a new project put out by Carlo and Dante Mondavi, grandsons of the famed Robert Mondavi. Carlo and Dante are fourth generation vintners born and raised in Napa Valley who "cut their teeth" working under Tim Mondavi at the Robert Mondavi Winery as well as Opus One. The two brothers credit their dad Tim for the passion they share for Pinot Noir, as Tim is a big Burgundy fan and was a pioneer for California Pinot Noir through the '70s. Raen's Sonoma Coast bottling has been named Royal St. Robert Cuvee, in the honor of Carlo and Dante Mondavi's grandfather (Robert Mondavi) who taught them to be committed to excellence.
Steep and remote, Raen's Bodega vineyard sits just 4 miles from the coast. Being surrounded by redwoods, pines, wildflowers, coastal oaks and a beautiful assortment of plant life creates an incredibly diverse micro-flora for the vines. In the bowl, aromas of wild strawberry, pine, rose petals, herbs and raspberry give way to forest floor, resin and cherries. Flavors of wild dark berries, forest floor, savory herbs, exotic spice, floral notes and black tea lead to a wonderfully long finish.
- Item #: i_252970Bottle Size: 750mlRaen is a new project put out by Carlo and Dante Mondavi, grandsons of the famed Robert Mondavi. Carlo and Dante are fourth generation vintners born and raised in Napa Valley who "cut their teeth" working under Tim Mondavi at the Robert Mondavi Winery as well as Opus One. The two brothers credit their dad Tim for the passion they share for Pinot Noir, as Tim is a big Burgundy fan and was a pioneer for California Pinot Noir through the '70s. Raen's Sonoma Coast bottling has been named Royal St. Robert Cuvee, in the honor of Carlo and Dante Mondavi's grandfather (Robert Mondavi) who taught them to be committed to excellence.
Hailing from just under two miles from the Pacific Ocean, Raen's Home Field bottling is their most westerly site and also their most elegant. Each year this bottling presents a deep ruby red center that works its way to a brilliantly bridge edge in the glass. Initial notes of white tea, smashed raspberry, orange pith and wet gravel fill the bowl. Sun warmed damp earth, coastal moss-covered pine tree give way to rose petals and delicate spice that speak of this coast site, lingering on your palate.
- Item #: i_252980Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94Raen is a new project put out by Carlo and Dante Mondavi, grandsons of the famed Robert Mondavi. Carlo and Dante are fourth generation vintners born and raised in Napa Valley who "cut their teeth" working under Tim Mondavi at the Robert Mondavi Winery as well as Opus One. The two brothers credit their dad Tim for the passion they share for Pinot Noir, as Tim is a big Burgundy fan and was a pioneer for California Pinot Noir through the '70s. Raen's Sonoma Coast bottling has been named Royal St. Robert Cuvee, in the honor of Carlo and Dante Mondavi's grandfather (Robert Mondavi) who taught them to be committed to excellence.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Royal St. Robert is absolutely gorgeous. A wild array of floral and savory notes make a strong opening statement. Expressive and multi-faceted, the Royal St. Robert is positively dazzling from the very first taste. The interplay of fruit, whole cluster savoriness and structure results in a captivating Pinot that has more than enough pedigree to reward a number of years of cellaring. This is a brilliant showing. Wow!"
- Item #: i_277550Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93The Willamette Valley Pinot Noir from Resonance is sourced from both estate vineyards (Resonance and Decouverte Vineyards) and top vineyards in the Willamette Valley. The wine showcases the absolute best of the Willamette Valley, and elegantly blends Maison Louis Jadot's winemaking with the Willamette Valley's signature terroir.
The wine reflects a bright ruby color. The nose is very fresh and fruity, with a lot of red (strawberry, raspberry) and black fruits ( wild cherry, blackberry), enhanced by subtle floral and spicy aromas. Elegance and harmony describe precisely the palate. Tannins are present and fine, while the acidity brings a nice freshness, particularly long.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "A wine with structure and presence, buoyed by a complex backbone of minerality, wrapped in refined dark cherry and black tea flavors and finishing with fine-grained tannins."
- Item #: i_253190Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Pinot Noir Rosella's Vineyard is a pretty, elegant effort that has a sunny style in its strawberry, spice, and dried herb aromas and flavors. Picking up a kiss of orange rind and citrus with time in the glass, it's medium-bodied and seamless on the palate, with plenty of upfront charm."