- Item #: i_206720Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Blackbird Vineyards has provided quietly fruit to many of Napa's finest wineries: Lail, Pride, and Viader. Mia Klein, formerly at Dalla Valle, created a vineyard-designate for her highly acclaimed 1999 Selene Merlot. Three of the top critics (Parker, Tanzer and Wine Spectator), scored their first release in the 90s. Blackbird continues to provide fruit to such winemakers as Bob Foley (Robert Foley, Hourglass).
The Blackbird wines are crafted by Aaron Pott, a winemaker who has a one-of-a-kind pedigree and produces several highly sought-after wines. The grapes for the Arise bottling come brom Blackbird's own vineyards in the Oak Knoll District, augmented with fruit from Hudson Vineyard in Carneros, Stagecoach Vineyard in the Vaca Mountains, and Crocker and Starr Vineyard.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Arise Proprietary Red is a blend of 55% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Franc, 17% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Petit Verdot. It has a deep garnet-purple color and opens with fragrant black cherries, black raspberries and warm plums scents with hints of underbrush, dried herbs, raspberry leaves and spice box. Medium-bodied and elegantly styled in the mouth, the palate has great vivacity with a grainy texture and long, lively finish."
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Arise is a very pretty wine. Lifted and floral, with lovely brightness from the Cabernet Franc in the blend, the 2016 is super-expressive today. Bright red cherry, rose petal and mint notes add freshness to this attractive, mid-weight red from Blackbird."
- Item #: i_207510Bottle Size: 750mlCakebread's 2016 Napa Valley Merlot is a savory, bold and structured wine, with a firm foundation. Hints of dried herbs, along with aromas of deep blackberry and black cherry, are evident along with mineral notes of crushed stone. The flavors are deeply concentrated with black plum, as well as fresh blackberries to match the nose. Characteristic freshness and acidity are followed by silky textures and refined, elegant tannins.
- Item #: i_276160Bottle Size: 750mlThe latest wine from Roots Run Deep Winery, Educated Guess Napa Valley Merlot comes from top vineyards in Yountville and Oak Knoll. A significant portion of this wine was barrel fermented which adds great texture, complexity, and weight to the wine. Flavors of dark plum, wild berries, cassis and chocolate are well integrated with French oak. If you enjoy their Cabernet Sauvignon, you are going to love their Merlot!
- Item #: i_220580Bottle Size: 750MLSelect lots of grapes are chosen from Ferrari Carano's vineyards in Sonoma County to create this beautifully-balanced and medium-bodied Merlot. This is a velvety wine with a complex nose of plum, chocolate spice, dark berries, coffee, caramel and cedar. A fleshy mouthfeel is followed by flavors of bright, upfront, red fruit, a structured mid-palate and a firm backbone of ripe tannins. This wine has impressive length and a lasting, elegant finish.
- Item #: i_222890Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96+ POINTS - "Aged 22 months in 65% new oak, the 2016 Epinette (46% Merlot, 35% Cabernet Franc, 16% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 3% Petit Verdot) reveals a deep purple color as well a big blast of chocolate, ground herbs, blackberries, dried earth, and wood smoke. It's a powerful, seriously endowed, fleshy, ripe, and sexy Merlot to drink over the coming 10-15 years."
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 94 POINTS - "Winemaker Todd Alexander, who took over here in 2014 (he had previously served as winemaker for Bryant Family Estate in Napa Valley), told me that the estate's 2015s, from what he called "a very warm vintage," are bigger wines than the '16s, but that the latter wines are fresher and more energetic thanks to higher acidity and better balance. There was not a big difference between the two years in terms of vine yields."
"Dark full ruby. Violet lift to the aromas of blackberry, black raspberry, licorice, subtle peppery herbs and minerals. Wonderfully plush but youthfully unevolved, conveying a smoother texture and more class than the Cabernet, as well as a deeper kernel of primary fruit despite the fact that this is a Bordeaux blend and not a varietal Cabernet Sauvignon. A bit less thick and overwhelming than the Cabernet, and more complex and delineated. Finishes with big tongue- and tooth-saturating tannins that are a bit more suave than those of the Cabernet."
- Item #: i_227151Bottle Size: 750MLThis is a Cabernet lover's Merlot! With wonderfully complex aromas of cherry, cedar, cocoa powder and a hint of tea leaves, this wine’s firm tannins and food-friendly acidity make it the perfect partner with a variety of hearty meals.
- Item #: i_227470Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 43% Merlot, 34% Cabernet Sauvignon, 19% Malbec, and 4% Syrah, the 2016 Collusion opens with warm, sweet and inviting scents of blackberry jam, raspberry, forest floor, vanilla and cedar. The wine is very broad and open on the palate, with mingling flavors of fresh, ripe black cherry, restrained oak, vanilla and clove that continue well into the lingering finish. The luxurious mouthfeel provided by velvety, mature tannins assures that this wine will continue to improve in the bottle.
- Item #: i_233940Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleKeenan Winery is located in Spring Mountain District, high in the Mayacamas mountain range above the town of Saint Helena. Eleven acres of Merlot vines have been planted in the rocky soils surrounding the winery, and it is these vines that produce some of the finest Merlot in Napa. The vineyards are situated above the dense layer of fog that creeps up the Napa Valley most evenings. Consequently the vines warm up earlier in the morning and stay warm through the night. The combination of warm temperatures, steep hillside vine rows and gravelly soils promotes more stress on the vines leading to increased intensity in the finished wine.
- Item #: i_236420Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Slightly more expensive, the 2016 Merlot Walla Walla Valley is all estate fruit and made from 76% Merlot, 18% Cabernet Franc, and the rest Cabernet Sauvignon, brought up in 40% new oak. Its deep ruby/purple color is followed by notes of cassis, leafy herbs, damp earth, and graphite. Balanced, medium to full-bodied, seamless, and beautifully put together, it's a terrific, high-class Merlot to drink over the coming 7-8 years as well."
- Item #: i_236550Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "One of the top Merlots in the report is certainly the 2016 Merlot Howell Mountain from La Jota. This fabulous wine boasts a deep purple color as well as a true 'wow' nose of blackberries, ripe cherries, spice, bay leaf, and ample savory, complex herbal notes. It's medium to full-bodied, has a layered, balanced style, ripe tannins, and a great finish. Drink it any time over the coming two decades."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "Blended of 90% Merlot, 5.5% Petit Verdot and 4.5% Tannat, the deep garnet-purple colored 2016 Merlot Howell Mountain struts out of the glass with vivacious notions of preserved plums, Black Forest cake and blackberry compote with touches of baking spices, black soil, truffles and licorice. The palate is full, rich, concentrated and earthy with firm, grainy tannins and great freshness, finishing long and earthy. 1,657 cases produced."
- Item #: i_245570Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "Starting with the 2016 Merlot Mt. Veeder, this brilliant wine is one of the top Merlots in the vintage. Purple-hued, fleshy, and beautifully full-bodied, it has terrific notes of black fruits, chocolate, and underbrush, fine yet building tannins, a stacked mid-palate, and a great finish. Even at $80, it's a screaming deal and has true Merlot opulence paired with considerable purity and elegance. It will keep for 15-20 years."
ROBERT PARKER's WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Composed of 82% Merlot and 18% Malbec, the 2016 Merlot Mt. Veeder has a deep garnet-purple color and opens with sexy spiced plums, warm blueberries and potpourri scents with hints of fragrant earth, violets and dark chocolate. Full, rich, firm and oh-so-plush, it has a decadently fruited palate and a very long finish with some licorice hints coming through. 547 cases produced."
"The 2014 Merlot (100% Merlot aged in 90% new oak) displays chocolaty blueberry and blackberry fruit, hints of roasted coffee and unsmoked cigar tobacco, medium to full body, soft, silky tannins and impressive intensity. Drink it over the next 10-15 years."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Merlot is a powerful, authoritative wine that conveys plenty of Mt. Veeder intensity, especially in its structure. Savory, deep and also quite tannic, the 2016 will benefit from a few years in bottle to fully come together. There is no shortage of depth or character here, that much is obvious. "
- Item #: i_246520Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2016 Suscol Merlot offers a perfect harmony of juicy and succulent flavors. A small swirl coaxes enticing aromas of dark plum, green olive and cedar from the glass. Earthy notes of tobacco leaf, olive, tar and spice blend nicely with the dark, sweet fruit. From year to year, this wine's distinctiveness lies in the lush, velvety tannins that expand upon the initial sip and develop with richness through the finish. This wine pairs beautifully with food and benefits from a little bottle age in your cellar.
- Item #: i_249790Bottle Size: 750MLPeju's 2016 Merlot is spectacular, offering up fragrant, layered aromas of juicy pomegranate, baking spice, and a hint of cedar. Lush fruits of cherry and blackberry envelop the palate. Soft hints of toasted almond and vanilla culminate with an elegant finish. Delicious now, this Merlot will continue to mature for the next 6-8 years.
- Item #: i_248410Bottle Size: 750mlThe only thing really changing at Prisoner Wine Company is their level of awesomeness! In fact, these wines still continue to receive the same scores that were awarded at the inception of Prisoner! Since that time, they produced two new wines; the Cuttings Cabernet-Blend and Blindfold White. These wines are following suit, and have come some of our better sellers at their respective pricepoints. Jen Beloz is Prisoner's winemaker, and she worked with Dave Phinney to keep the "house style". So…Prisoner wines are still rockin'!
Based on the success of their newer bottlings, we have been very eager to get our hands on the Thorn Merlot. There are a few vineyards in Napa Valley that are so amazing, they only go to wineries that will do the fruit justice. Whenever we see these vineyard sources, we know there's something delicious in the bottle! Prisoner's Thorn is comprised from fruit from a few of these vineyards; family-owned vineyards of varying ages and soils, lending to the layers of character and complexity. These vineyards are Hudson, Stagecoach, Antica, and Trefethen; these vineyards also sell fruit to other notable wineries, such as Arietta, Kongsgaard, Lewis, Pahlmeyer, and Paul Hobbs!
Aromas of savory spice, black cherry, and mocha with cedar and blackberry. The entry delivers an elegant balance with flavors of black plum and anise, along with hints of grilled rosemary and toasted oak. Velvety, chocolate tannins develop into a robust finish. Bravo Prisoner…keep sending us more wines like this!
- Item #: i_252030Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Made up of 97% Merlot, 2% Cabernet Sauvignon and 1% Malbec aged for 21 months in 24% new oak (88% French and 12% Hungarian) the medium to deep garnet-purple colored 2016 Merlot opens with bags of plums, baked cherries and mulberries-inspired scents with touches of incense, Chinese five spice and dusty soil. Full-bodied with a chewy frame and compelling freshness, it finishes on an earthy note."
- Item #: i_222850Bottle Size: 750mlRabble Merlot is a throwback, delivering full bodied, luscious dark bruised berries and cassis. The rich berries give a tremendous amount of density on the palate that continues and lingers with long and decadent tannin. A throw back Merlot. Powerful and seductive in color and body. Dusty notes with rich fruit. Chalky tannins and composed sructure
- Item #: i_255240Bottle Size: 750MLIf Merlot has dropped out of favor, why the heck do we sell so much of this? It's because you can't stop a good-- make that great-- thing! Rombauer has earned an insatiable following for their reds and whites, but this new vintage of Merlot might be their best Merlot release ever! The grapes are pulled from several well-respected vineyards in Napa Valley's Carneros region, including the famed Sangiacomo Vineyard! Aged for 17 months in a French oak for that perfect balance of structure and opulence, this delicious Merlot is crafted from cool-climate grapes with a warm climate personality.
Aromas of fresh, ripe blueberries, ripe plum and black currant intertwine with notes of cedar, vanilla and pie crust. This medium-bodied wine is plush with flavors of plums, blueberries and figs upfront, leading to juicy red fruit on the midpalate. Delicious now, its depth and structure provide long cellaring potential.
- Item #: i_275006Bottle Size: 375ML**Please note, this is a half sized bottleBright plum and pomegranate aromas ready the palate for this elegant and unique wine. Smooth, silky fruit with supple tannins and soft herbal notes finish with a smooth, lingering finish. Presents beautifully now and will only improve with age.
- Item #: i_265360Bottle Size: 750MLThis expressive Merlot showcases the varietal’s ability to excel in Napa Valley with its generous, juicy fruit flavors, intriguing baking spice notes and polished structure. It’s incredibly pleasurable and complex with cherry, cranberry, pomegranate, and plum with notes of caramel and cinnamon that persist through the long finish. The wine has depth and nuance with smooth tannins and a lush, lovely texture.