Chardonnay is a green-skinned grape variety used to make white wine. It originated in the Burgundy wine region of eastern France but is now grown wherever wine is produced. The Chardonnay grape itself is very neutral, with many of the flavors commonly associated with the grape being derived from such influences as terroir and oak. It is vinified in many different styles, from the lean, crisply mineral wines of Chablis, France to New World wines with oak, and tropical fruit flavors. In cool climates (such as Chablis and the Sonoma Coast AVA of California), Chardonnay tends to be medium to light body with noticeable acidity and flavors of green plum, apple and pear. In warmer locations (such as the Adelaide Hills and Mornington Peninsula in Australia and Gisborne and Marlborough region of New Zealand) the flavors become more citrus, peach and melon while in very warm locations (such as the Napa Valley AVA of California) more fig and tropical fruit notes such as banana and mango come out. Wines that have gone through malolactic fermentation tend to have softer acidity and fruit flavors with buttery mouthfeel and hazelnut notes.
- Item #: i_200240Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "(21% new oak): Pale, brilliant yellow. Displays racy, mineral-accented citrus and orchard fruit scents that show impressive focus and spicy lift. Shows excellent delineation and tension on the palate, offering nervy Meyer lemon, quince and candied ginger flavors that deepen slowly and pick up a hint of smokiness on the back half. Closes dry and impressively long, with repeating minerality and firm, tangy bite."
- Item #: i_201320Bottle Size: 750mlAmalie Robert's "Heirloom Cameo" Chardonnay is fermented in a single, large format French oak barrel or "puncheon." The goal of this fermentation style is to enhance the breadth and depth of the wine through limited oak exposure and extended yeast or "lees" aging. Stylistically, this wine is made to be enjoyed throughout its time in bottle. Upon release the wine is fresh with pungent aromas and a broad mouth feel, followed by a crisp and satisfying finish. We expect this wine to age gracefully for several years and will reward a laddered approach to monitoring its development. The Chardonnay for this wine is estate grown in 1 small block. The blend is about half Dijon clone 76 and half Dijon clone 95. In most years this block ripens until a beautifully hued golden patina envelops the skins, and then Amalie Robert hand harvests all 1,089 vines.
Scintillating aromas of Meyer lemon zest, purple passion fruit and carambola sheathed in a suggestion of five spice and pheromone provide intrigue. The deftly balanced palate is silky chiffon with latent acidity providing a gentle lift, all the while the effortlessly evolving textures and aromas vex. The enduring finish echoes the virtue of presence without weight. Only 70 cases were produced!
- Item #: i_208720Bottle Size: 750mlThe Wild Bee! The Wild Bee represents a shift in Big Table Farm's Chardonnay program. This wine takes the place of their Willamette Valley Chardonnay – only in name, label and price! Same vineyard sources, same winemaking, same barrels. The Wild Bee is a combination of all 6 sites of Chardonnay that they work with and is a fantastic representation of Willamette Valley Chardonnay for 2017.
At first blush this wine's aromatics offer up lemon custard and stone fruit. This is a clean bright expression of Chardonnay. It has a persistant white floral note that leads into warm toast and hazelnut – this all shows off the perfectly developed golden grapes that finish like a bite of perfectly ripe pear. The acid is fine and complex without any hard edges giving this wine tension to help you appreciate it's subtleties.
- Item #: i_206210Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2015 Chardonnay Ribbon Ridge has a lovely nose of acacia blossom, fresh hay and wet stone over a core of red and yellow apples and lemon pith with touches of sliced almonds. Medium-bodied and lively in the mouth, it offers good layers of orchard and citrus fruit with mineral and earth notes plus toasty/nutty suggestions in the background. It's slightly creamy in the mouth with a strong frame of acidity, finishing on a honey-nut note. 350 cases produced."
- Item #: i_210750Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Vinous Media: 90ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2015 Chardonnay Stoller Vineyard Ian's Reserve gives up lush scents of baked yellow apple, pear and quince with wonderful spicy accents of tarragon, grated cardamom and vanilla plus hints of toast, warm dried hay and clover honey—there are lots of layers in this glass! Medium to full-bodied with a lovely creamy texture, it has great concentration of warm orchard fruits with plenty of spicy accents and just enough oak, finishing long. 400 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "(38 percent new French oak) Pale yellow-gold. Mineral-accented citrus and orchard fruits on the nose, joined by a slow-building ginger quality and hints of vanilla and iodine. Sappy, palate-staining Anjou pear and Meyer lemon flavors are complemented by a smoky lees note and lifted by zesty minerality. Finishes with impressive clarity and excellent persistence, leaving lingering mineral and citrus pith notes behind."
- Item #: i_216080Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Pinot Noir takes the spotlight in the Oregon wine world, that's just a fact. And when it comes to their white wines, Pinot Gris is center stage. That being said, it is this producer's Chardonnay has stunned us the past few vintages, and we think it's been the best white from Oregon in several years! Named for winemaker Veronique Drouhin-Boss' son, Arthur is produced entirely from estate fruit and is handmade at DDO's landmark gravity flow winery in the Dundee Hills. Their Chardonnay vines were planted in 1992 and are 100% Dijon clones, some of the oldest such plantings in Oregon.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "(raised in a 50/50 combination of stainless steel tanks and French oak barrels, 20 percent of the oak new) Light gold. Intense, mineral-accented citrus and orchard fruits on the nose, complicated by hints of buttered toast and honeysuckle. Lush and creamy but focused as well, offering concentrated dried pear and peach flavors and a touch of bitter lemon pith. Turns firmer on the incisive finish, which repeats the citrus and mineral notes and leaves a hint of chamomile behind."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2015 Chardonnay Estate Arthur offers notions of fresh grapefruit, warm pears and honeydew melon with suggestions of coriander seed, baking bread and clotted cream. Medium-bodied, with a lively line of invigorating acidity cutting through the intense citrus and spicy flavors, it has a pleasant creaminess to the texture and some minerals coming through on the finish."
- Item #: i_216120Bottle Size: 375mlWine Advocate: 91**Please note, this is a half sized bottleDrouhin's Chardonnay Arthur is produced from 100% Dijon clones, grown on the Drouhin Family Estate in the Dundee Hills of Oregon. First planted in 1990, the low yields of these vines and their early ripening ability have been a perfect match for the climate and soils. Arthur, named for Veronique's son, is a wine that captures the bright, crisp acidity and mineral character of the vineyard, balanced with richness and lovely length.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Estate Arthur has a lovely open nose of red apple skin and yellow pear with nuances of tangy Greek yogurt, toast and lemon pith. Light to medium-bodied, it has good concentration of tree fruits in the mouth with touches of honey and white blossoms with great juicy acidity, finishing long with a touch of texture. 3,375 cases produced."
- Item #: i_216380Bottle Size: 750mlLike its Pinot Noir counterpart, the Evenstad Reserve Chardonnay is consistent from vintage to vintage, and represents the flagship wine of Domaine Serene's Chardonnay program. The Evenstad Reserve Chardonnay shows complex aromas of citrus blossom, stone fruit, nutmeg and crushed stone. These flavors carry through on the palate to display a balanced and elegant wine that delivers firm acidity, richness and persistence. With clonal variation and site driven diversity, we are able to craft this wine to our precise and exacting standards year after year.
The 2016 Evenstad Reserve Chardonnay is a beautiful shade of pale yellow. Upon approach, intense aromas of Key lime, ginger, and brioche leap from the glass. As the wine continues to open, a second layer of aromatic complexity presents itself with pronounced Meyer lemon, honey, graham cracker and fresh pastries - quickly taking you back to fond memories of your favorite boulangerie in the French countryside. On the palate, both citrus and melon take center-stage and vibrant acidity is brought into harmony by a rich, creamy mouthfeel. A balance of oak and acid showcases its power and elegance, resulting in a long, lingering finish that echoes with layer upon layer of vanilla and stone fruit.
- Item #: i_232540Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93Seven Springs Vineyard was planted in 1984 by Al MacDonald on an east-facing slope, in the iron-rich and rocky, volcanic soils of the Eola-Amity Hills. Al planted what would become one of Oregon's most recognized vineyards who sold fruit to many benchmark Oregon producers. The vineyard's position opposite of the windy Van Duzer Corridor mitigates hot, sunny afternoons in the Willamette Valley with cool winds from the Pacific. As valley temperatures increase throughout the day, warm air rises, replaced by cooling winds flooding in from the Pacific through the Van Duzer gap and across the vineyard providing extended hang time at harvest. The vineyard has always been dry farmed, it's certified LIVE and was converted to biodynamic viticulture in 2007.
At the helm of Seven Springs is Rajat Parr, world renowned wine sommelier and Sashi Moorman, known for his passion for winemaking and viticulture. Together, these two bring an insurmountable amount of knowledge leading Seven Springs into its 4th decade producing outstanding wines at an affordable price point!
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Graceful and elegantly complex, with alluring Meyer lemon and green apple flavors accented by wet stone and sweet anise notes on a lingering finish. Drink now through 2021. 1,019 cases made."
- Item #: i_222500Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+Vinous Media: 90The Gran Moraine vineyard was planted in 2005 to several different Dijon clones. Located five miles west of the town of Carlton this site is one of the more westerly vineyards in the Yamhill-Carlton AVA and therefore subject to the cooling afternoon breezes that roll off the Pacific. A variety of slopes, aspects, row direction, and plant material offer a wide diversity of blocks to choose from when blending this Yamhill-Carlton Chardonnay.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Yamhill-Carlton has a lovely open nose of spiced apples, acacia honey, lemon cream, toast and dried white flowers. Medium-bodied with a great creamy texture, it fills the mouth with layers of honey toast, cream, ripe orchard fruits and spice, with great mouthwatering acidity and a long floral finish. 2,130 cases produced."
- Item #: i_237510Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93AVNI Chardonnay reflects the complex flavor profile of Eola-Amity Hills chardonnay combined with Chardonnay from 100% Jory soils in Salem's Bunker Hill, Dundee's Durand, and a Yamhill-Carlton site, with a contribution from Laubejac vineyard fruit near Monmouth, on the southwestern side of the region in Willakenzie and Dupee soils. The wine is silky, racy and complex, with a lasting finish of citrus, pear, white flowers and flinty mouthwatering minerality. The treatment of the fruit at harvest reflects the winemaking philosophy of Dominique Lafon.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Refined and gracefully complex, with precise and vibrant Meyer lemon, river stone and apricot flavors that glide on a long finish. Drink now through 2020. 1,041 cases made."
- Item #: i_275500Bottle Size: 750mlThe Freedom Hill Dijon clone Chardonnays are Meursault-like: darker fruit with a stony minerality and rich textures in the mouth. Winemaker Mark Vlossak struggled with the specific style for Freedom Hill Chardonnay until his visit to Burgundy and Chablis in 2003. There he tasted a grand cru Chablis fermented entirely in used barrels. St. Innocent's Chardonnay is now fermented in the same manner. Mark finally feels that he has captured the terroir of Freedom Hill . After settling, pure juice (no SO2) was barrel fermented with indigenous yeasts. The wine finished malolactic fermentation (wild) and was aged sur lees for eleven months entirely in used French oak barrels. It is unfined and lightly filtered before bottling.
This Chardonnay has seductive aromas of yellow peach, mango and peach preserves with hints of cinnamon stick and white pepper. Embracing your entire pallet with bright yellow fruit, fresh acidity, and Buttercup. This wine has a racy richness clearly differentiating it from "normal" Chardonnays. Impeccably balanced with the warmer fruit and floral notes persisting long into the finish. It would be a great match for fish tacos with mango salsa, grilled tuna pasta or pizza margherita. As lovely as it is now, it can be enjoyed over the next 8 years.
- Item #: i_266470Bottle Size: 750mlStoller's Reserve Chardonnay is a blend of their oldest Dijon vines on the property, which were planted in 1995. Whole cluster pressed to mitigate phenolics, this wine was barrel fermented. This wine aged in French oak for 11-months before spending another 6-months in stainless steel. Expressing aromatics of lemon curd, brioche and flint, the palate meets the nose with a citrus vibrancy and reveals a luxurious mouthfeel due to extended lees contact and balanced use of oak.
- Item #: i_278080Bottle Size: 750mlAged for 15 months in French oak barrels, of which 30% of them were new, this 2013 Chardonnay shows vibrant aromas of lemon curd, blood orange, key lime, citrus flower, toasted brioche, vanilla and slight cream. The palate is juicy and mouth watering, with flavors of Meyer lemon, kiwi fruit, granny smith apple, citrus flower and toast with slight white pepper.