Chardonnay is a green-skinned grape variety used to make white wine. It originated in the Burgundy wine region of eastern France but is now grown wherever wine is produced. The Chardonnay grape itself is very neutral, with many of the flavors commonly associated with the grape being derived from such influences as terroir and oak. It is vinified in many different styles, from the lean, crisply mineral wines of Chablis, France to New World wines with oak, and tropical fruit flavors. In cool climates (such as Chablis and the Sonoma Coast AVA of California), Chardonnay tends to be medium to light body with noticeable acidity and flavors of green plum, apple and pear. In warmer locations (such as the Adelaide Hills and Mornington Peninsula in Australia and Gisborne and Marlborough region of New Zealand) the flavors become more citrus, peach and melon while in very warm locations (such as the Napa Valley AVA of California) more fig and tropical fruit notes such as banana and mango come out. Wines that have gone through malolactic fermentation tend to have softer acidity and fruit flavors with buttery mouthfeel and hazelnut notes.
- Item #: i_238560Bottle Size: 750mlBright, youthful straw-yellow color with aromas of Golden Delicious apple, lime zest and pear. Made in a Burgundian style including alcoholic and malolactic fermentation in barrel with lees stirring, which contributes to a very complex bouquet of grilled nuts, butterscotch and gun flint with a very rich and unctuous mouthfeel. This is an enticingly delicious Chardonnay with complex aromas and flavors balanced by palate-cleansing acidity.
- Item #: i_238700Bottle Size: EACHJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The Lucia wines are made by the Pisoni Family and focus on the non Pisoni Vineyard releases. As normal, these are impeccably made and terrific wines."
"Brought up in 35% new French oak and from the Soberanes and Pisoni vineyards (and mostly Wente clone), the 2016 Chardonnay Santa Lucia Highlands is a ripe, textured, impeccably balanced Chardonnay. Revealing plenty of melon, pineapple and salted citrus characteristics, it shows the classic, elegant style of the vintage as well as the fruit-forward character of the Santa Lucia Highlands."
- Item #: i_245240Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsThe Double L Vineyard is well situated to produce Chardonnay of the highest caliber. Located near the northern tip of the Santa Lucia Highlands AVA, the vineyard receives brisk afternoon breezes from nearby Monterey Bay. North-south vineyard row orientation allows for optimum sun exposure on the Highlands’ east - facing terraces. Wind and sun combine for a long growing season, resulting in vibrant fruit flavors with balanced acidity. The vineyard was certified organic in 2002, although it has been conscientiously farmed in this method since the original plantings in 1997.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "Limpid yellow. Powerful, mineral-accented Meyer lemon, pear and vanilla scents show very good clarity and complicating suggestions of fennel and toasty lees. Minerally and focused in the mouth, offering pliant citrus and orchard fruit flavors; deeper suggestions of honey and buttered toast emerge on the back half. Shows impressive depth as well as energy and finishes smoky and very long, with a suave floral nuance hanging on."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Aged 10 months in 15% new French oak, the 2016 Chardonnay Double L is a step up in quality and is a more serious, layered Chardonnay. White peach, white flowers, honeysuckle, and a touch of brioche all emerge from this silky, elegant effort that has racy acidity, terrific balance, and a great finish. Drink it any time over the coming 5-7 years, and I wouldn/t be surprised to see it keep longer."
- Item #: i_255230Bottle Size: 750mlIn the hills of California's Monterey County lies an area that grows some of the very best Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Syrah. This area is known as the Santa Lucia Highlands. Like many other famed grape growing regions of the state, what once was known for orchards and vegetables farms has become heralded for their grapes, and Roar's Franscioni family is regarded as having one of the top vineyards in the area. In fact, the Franscioni's Rosella's and Sierra Mar Vineyards are in such demand, due to the stellar quality of fruit pulled off the vines, that the finished wines command prices similar to what is found in the Russian River Valley!
- Item #: i_257690Bottle Size: 750MLSan Simeon Chardonnay is a rich, mouth-filling wine with ripe tropical fruit flavors with complements of citrus and pear. The nose reveals bright fruit and oak toast with hints of vanilla and spice. Mineral notes express the rocky terroir of the vineyards. This structured and well-balanced wine shows a lengthy finish with potential to age.
- Item #: i_241210Bottle Size: 750mlMonterey County's Santa Lucia Highland Region produces some of the best Chardonnay and Pinot Noir in the world. This region benefits from cool morning fog and afternoon breezes that result in a long growing season, producing intense fruit flavors balanced with vibrant acidity.
The label "Silver" came into being due to the fact that the wine saw no oak; it was fermented and aged in stainless steel. The wine still never sees any oak, yet in addition to stainless steel, cement tanks are utilized to give the wine a small amount of oxygen contact to enhance flavor development, similar to aging in an oak barrel.
Bright minerality and fresh-cut hay qualities are apparent on the nose, followed by zesty citrus and stone-fruit notes. Seamless fruit flavors of grapefruit, lemon and gooseberry shine through on the mid-palate, complemented by a crisp acidity that carries through from start to finish. The higher acidity in this wine makes it a perfect accompaniment to a wide array of food, particularly fresh salads, grilled seafood, and some tomato-based dishes.