Chardonnay is a green-skinned grape variety used to make white wine. It originated in the Burgundy wine region of eastern France but is now grown wherever wine is produced. The Chardonnay grape itself is very neutral, with many of the flavors commonly associated with the grape being derived from such influences as terroir and oak. It is vinified in many different styles, from the lean, crisply mineral wines of Chablis, France to New World wines with oak, and tropical fruit flavors. In cool climates (such as Chablis and the Sonoma Coast AVA of California), Chardonnay tends to be medium to light body with noticeable acidity and flavors of green plum, apple and pear. In warmer locations (such as the Adelaide Hills and Mornington Peninsula in Australia and Gisborne and Marlborough region of New Zealand) the flavors become more citrus, peach and melon while in very warm locations (such as the Napa Valley AVA of California) more fig and tropical fruit notes such as banana and mango come out. Wines that have gone through malolactic fermentation tend to have softer acidity and fruit flavors with buttery mouthfeel and hazelnut notes.
- Item #: i_244010Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 92ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Montelena's 2016 Chardonnay is terrific. Fresh, nuanced and light on its feet, the 2016 is striking for its freshness and understated intensity. Lemon peel, almond, chamomile and floral overtones add shades of nuance throughout, but above all else, the 2016 stands out for its bright, crystalline tension and overall energy. What a gorgeous wine this is. "
- Item #: i_218740Bottle Size: 750MLEl Molino was established back in 1871. The winery, along with the historic label, was resurrected in 1981 by Reg Oliver who focused on incomparable Chardonnay and distinctive Pinot from an appellation admittedly more famed for Cabernet Sauvignon. He left a legacy of environmental stewardship and enthusiasm for Burgundy varietals that has not been lost on his daughter Lily and her husband, Jon Berlin (Jon & Lily pictured top right). Lilly moved to the winery with the family when she was nine, and since child labor was never frowned upon, there was a lot to be learned by the age-old tradition of apprenticeship under her father. Lily uses these time-honored techniques to fashion a Chardonnay of impeccable balance that can age for decades!
El Molino's 2016 Rutherford Chardonnay displays rich complex fruit aromatics with ruby grapefruit, key lime, and lemon oil to the fore, supported by wet slate, green apple, and white flowers. On the palate the entry is plush and broad with excellent viscosity and great acidity. Full flavored and rich the flavors are long and persistent on the finish. This may prove to be one of their longest lived Chardonnays, although much willpower will be required as it is drinking beautifully now.
- Item #: i_225560Bottle Size: 750mlOn the nose, bright lemon zest, grapefruit peel, and Mexican lime mix with spice notes of cinnamon and vanilla. The first impression on the palate is zesty citrus. The mid-palate hosts tart green apple, peach, and grilled pineapple. The finish shows notes of pastry cream, chamomile, dried apricot, and golden raisins. This complex Chardonnay also displays hits of a wet stone minerality.
- Item #: i_229830Bottle Size: 750MLChardonnay The Heitz name is so deeply ingrained in the culture of Cabernet connoisseurs that some people are surprised to discover we have been making Chardonnay since the winery was founded in 1961. Sleek and vibrant with the invigorating aroma of juicy pear and lemon blossoms. It's a delicious wine delivering tiers of citrus flavor and the slight tanginess.
- Item #: i_235890Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91-93 POINTS - "A barrel sample, the 2016 Chardonnay features very pretty ripe grapefruit, apricot and honey-drizzled pears notes with hints of baking bread and marzipan. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has plenty of expressive citrus and stone fruit flavors with impressive savory accents and great length."
- Item #: i_236700Bottle Size: 750mlThe nose displays big ripe fruit with lovely oak and light buttery white peach with vanilla, and a hint of pineapple. A rich and elegant palate, clean and balanced. Nectarine and macaroon flavors persist into the long finish.
- Item #: i_211590Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay is simply dazzling. Bright, fresh and nuanced, the 2016 possesses striking energy from the very first taste. Lemon peel, almond, mint and white flowers are some of the many aromas and flavors that emerge from this finely sketched, vibrant Chardonnay. A wine of pure and total class, the 2016 has the pedigree to age gracefully for many years to come. Quite simply, this is an unbelievably beautiful wine that is sure to delight Mayacamas fans."
- Item #: i_276720Bottle Size: 750MLFull-bodied and lush, yet never heavy, Miner's Wild Yeast Chardonnay shows off flavors of ripe pear and melon with butterscotch and hazelnut notes balanced by oak spice and bright acidity. This is a wildly expressive wine that will reward a few years of patient cellaring. The grapes are fermented using only indigenous or "wild" yeast cultures found on the skins of the grapes themselves, in the vineyards and within the walls of our winery.
- Item #: i_266260Bottle Size: 750mlBalanced and complex, the 2016 Napa Valley Chardonnay layers fruit from several vineyards in the AVA, marrying the lush, bold ripeness of mid-valley with the richness and depth of Carneros. Bright, golden fruit opens the nose, rounded with notes of honey, caramel, baking spice and toast. A bold entry of lemons and ripe apple develops weight and viscosity as it evolves through the mouth. The barrel contribution leaves an almost-sweet almond impression across the finish. Displaying true Napa style, this well-poised wine is perfect for all occasions and will pair with a variety of foods.
- Item #: i_269100Bottle Size: 750MLProprietors Timm and Sharon Crull have quite a special piece of land in Rutherford. Not only are they virtually across the street from Quintessa and next door to Heitz, they also sell their Cabernet to such prestigious wineries as Nickel & Nickel and Duckhorn. While we have been touting their reds for some time, they also have a refreshing white.
The property at The Terraces is more conducive to red grapes, so Timm and Sharon went "down the road" to Trefethen to find fantastic Chardonnay grapes. This southern valley floor vineyard has deep alluvial soils and warm temperatures, allowing the grapes to develop ripe stone fruit and pineapple aromas. This is a cleaner style; all tank fermented, no malolactic, and aged sur lie in neutral oak barrels for 6 months.
With a beautiful light straw hue and aromas of pineapple, guava, baked green apple and a hint of sweet woody vanilla the 2016 Chardonnay is sure to please. The palate has inviting characteristics of tropical fruit, crispy asian pear and bright green apple acidity. The vibrant mouthfeel showcases surprising weight and richness and a lively finish. Drink now or cellar for 8-10 years.
- Item #: i_271170Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Estate opens with tantalizing scents of green mango, pineapple and lemon meringue pie with nuances of cashews, candied ginger and brioche. Medium to full-bodied, the palate offers incredible tension and depth, with loads of tightly wound tropical and savory layers plus a silken texture, finishing very long."
- Item #: i_230510Bottle Size: 750mlThe William Hill Estate Chardonnay has aromas and flavors of ripe tree fruit and spice, with hints of citrus and tropical fruit. This well-balanced wine has a crisp acidity and subtle notes of vanilla and toast, complemented by a creamy mouthfeel.