- Item #: i_215510Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsDierberg has been on a roll the past few years! Dierberg sells much of their fruit to other wineries, but they have begun to keep some of the better sections of the vineyard for themselves. That being said, their own label hasn't skipped a beat, and is receiving the same high scores as their customers!
Located 13 miles from the Pacific Ocean in one of the coolest wine-growing corners of California's Central Coast, Dierberg Vineyard is on the western edge of Santa Barbara County's Santa Maria Valley appellation, which is world-renowned for Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Their vineyard is planted to newer "Dijon" clones, as well as other "heritage clones" whose roots go back to the Burgundy area of France, offering a clonal diversity unlike almost any other Chardonnay vineyard in California. Last year's 93-point Chardonnay was a huge hit at our store, and this Pinot Noir is a great follow up!
This wine has the personality of many Chardonnay's from Burgundy's Macon region; baked apple, plenty of lively acidity and freshness, good body, and low to moderate use of new oak (about 20%). This is an amazing deal in California Chardonnay, earning 92 points from both Robert Parker's Wine Advocate and Antonio Gallino's Vinous Media...so grab this while it's still here!
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Dierberg Vineyard, aged 15 months in 20% new oak, has a nose of honey toast, baked golden apple, wet hay, earth, white peach and almonds plus a tinge of creme fraiche. The palate is medium-bodied with a silky texture, very lively acidity and a long, nutty finish. 2,675 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Dierberg Vineyard is rich, ample and super-expressive. Lemon confit, pineapple, lime and tropical notes infuse this lush Chardonnay with plenty of character. Supple, open-knit and inviting, the 2017 is best enjoyed over the next handful of years."
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Dierberg Vineyard (10 months in 30% new French oak) reveals a lighter gold color as well as a terrific bouquet of white currants and orchard fruits, brioche, spice, and hints of toasted bread. With medium body, a rounded, nicely textured style, good balance, and a great finish, drink it over the coming 4-6 years."
- Item #: i_216330Bottle Size: 750mlMount Eden has a long and glorious history. Originally planted by a man named Martin Ray, many of the original Mount Eden Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays are some of the best renditions California has ever produced! Flash-forward to the present, and the wines are just as good as they always were. In addition to their estate wines, they produce a second wine called Domaine Eden. Sourced from a well-maintained vineyard just one mile away from their estate, Mount Eden utilizes the same exacting methods for their estate wines: natural indigenous fermentations - both primary and secondary, French Burgundy barrels, no fining, filtration or any other manipulation.
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "Domaine Eden's 2016 Chardonnay is an enticing wine with a terrific balance of energy and also layers of depth. Tangerine, lemon confit, almond, dried herbs and tropical overtones give the 2016 a lot of character. In the glass, the 2016 is a bit wild and unruly, yet it is also full of character. The 2016 need time to settle down, but it is very pretty. The Domaine Eden Chardonnay is roughly 2/3rds from the Domaine Eden property, and 1/3rd barrels culled out from Mount Eden."
- Item #: i_229830Bottle Size: 750MLChardonnay The Heitz name is so deeply ingrained in the culture of Cabernet connoisseurs that some people are surprised to discover we have been making Chardonnay since the winery was founded in 1961. Sleek and vibrant with the invigorating aroma of juicy pear and lemon blossoms. It's a delicious wine delivering tiers of citrus flavor and the slight tanginess.
- Item #: i_232320Bottle Size: 750MLTobin James Cellars, located 8 miles east of Paso Robles on Highway 46, sits among 71 acres of vineyard's and oak dotted hills. A magnificent setting for magnificent wines! This region is wonderful for powerful reds, but Monterey County holds a better place for Chardonnays. Rich & creamy with great citrus flavors, this is the perfect Chardonnay for afternoons and light to moderate food!
- Item #: i_275500Bottle Size: 750mlThe Freedom Hill Dijon clone Chardonnays are Meursault-like: darker fruit with a stony minerality and rich textures in the mouth. Winemaker Mark Vlossak struggled with the specific style for Freedom Hill Chardonnay until his visit to Burgundy and Chablis in 2003. There he tasted a grand cru Chablis fermented entirely in used barrels. St. Innocent's Chardonnay is now fermented in the same manner. Mark finally feels that he has captured the terroir of Freedom Hill . After settling, pure juice (no SO2) was barrel fermented with indigenous yeasts. The wine finished malolactic fermentation (wild) and was aged sur lees for eleven months entirely in used French oak barrels. It is unfined and lightly filtered before bottling.
This Chardonnay has seductive aromas of yellow peach, mango and peach preserves with hints of cinnamon stick and white pepper. Embracing your entire pallet with bright yellow fruit, fresh acidity, and Buttercup. This wine has a racy richness clearly differentiating it from "normal" Chardonnays. Impeccably balanced with the warmer fruit and floral notes persisting long into the finish. It would be a great match for fish tacos with mango salsa, grilled tuna pasta or pizza margherita. As lovely as it is now, it can be enjoyed over the next 8 years.
- Item #: i_266510Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsStonestreet Estate Vineyards stand on the western ridge of the Mayacamas Mountains towering over the Alexander Valley below. High elevations, volcanically derived soils and cooling maritime breezes give us a unique location from which to pursue the quest of mountain winegrowing. Of the 5,100 acres that make up the Estate, only 900 are planted to grapes (235 individual vineyard blocks) while the remaining land retains its natural biodiversity and abounds with streambeds and ancient oaks, providing a habitat to cougars, owls and black bears.
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Estate is a terrific introduction to the Stonestreet Chardonnays. Citrus, apricot, mint and a dash of new oak add nuance to this finely cut mountain Chardonnay. The Estate Chardonnay is another wine that delivers serious quality for the money. Silky and textured, the 2016 hits all the right notes. What a gorgeous wine it is."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Stonestreet falls under the Jackson Family umbrella and focuses on higher elevation, mountain sites. The wines, made by Lisa Valtenbergs, are rock-solid across the board."
"The 2016 Chardonnay Estate is another wine sourced from higher elevation sites and was barrel fermented and aged. It offers a classic style in its baked apples, spice, honeycomb, and marzipan profile. Deep, medium-bodied, beautifully balanced, and textured, it's a class act and should keep for 4-6 years."
- Item #: i_274660Bottle Size: 750mlA very pale-golden color, tinted with green, announces this wine. The fruit aromas are of lemon and apple. The spice aromatics are toward cinnamon and cedar. There’s a bit of honeycomb as well as a smoked almond note. The minerality is present, but subdued. The palate is soft and pure silk.
- Item #: i_274770Bottle Size: 750MLThis is their famous Trinitas "Butterscotch Bomb"; a perfect marriage of high-quality fruit and American wood barrels. The toast on the barrels is prominent, giving a "creme Brule" character to the nose. Underneath the toast, you get the intense tropical fruit - pear, peach, lemon zest and citrus. The rich mid-palate, explodes with cinnamon toast, cream and butterscotch – which is a contribution to the length of time spent in the Oak Barrels. In its own way, it's as bold and expressive as a Cabernet. It's got so much presence it can easily pass as an aperitif or carefully matched with food just as rich - perhaps pounded veal cutlets, an Italian risotto, or plump-cooked chicken breasts in a cream sauce.
- Item #: i_276650Bottle Size: 750mlEnjoy flavors and aromas of lemon curd, green apple, tangy pineapple and baked brioche. Spicy overtones reminiscent of clove, nutmeg and a kiss of vanilla add complexity. Forward fruit on the entry with richness and a slight creaminess on the mid-palate and fresh, lingering fruit flavors and mouthwatering acidity in the finish.
- Item #: i_295770Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsZotovich Cellars is a family owned and operated boutique winery located in coastal Lompoc, California. Winemaker, Ryan Zotovich is coming most recently from Sea Smoke where he began working with Kris Curran. Prior to working at Sea Smoke, Ryan was the assistant winemaker at Palmina. With Ryan’s help, Zotovich Cellars is proud to offer small, closely monitored lots of estate wine. 100% of the grapes crushed into Zotovich wine are grown on the 35 acre Zotovich estate vineyard located off of Route 246, between Melville and Foley wineries.
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay offers lovely freshness and verve, with plenty of citrus, mint and floral overtones. Bright, saline notes extend the finish effortlessly. Drink this gracious, mid-weight Chardonnay over the next few years."
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay offers more peach and hints of tropical fruits as well as more richness and depth on the palate. With classic citrus fruits, some spice, and minerality aromas and flavors, medium body, nicely integrated acidity, and a clean finish, it's a terrific, classic Chardonnay from the Sta. Rita Hills. It too is ideal for drinking over the coming 4-5 years."