Chardonnay is a green-skinned grape variety used to make white wine. It originated in the Burgundy wine region of eastern France but is now grown wherever wine is produced. The Chardonnay grape itself is very neutral, with many of the flavors commonly associated with the grape being derived from such influences as terroir and oak. It is vinified in many different styles, from the lean, crisply mineral wines of Chablis, France to New World wines with oak, and tropical fruit flavors. In cool climates (such as Chablis and the Sonoma Coast AVA of California), Chardonnay tends to be medium to light body with noticeable acidity and flavors of green plum, apple and pear. In warmer locations (such as the Adelaide Hills and Mornington Peninsula in Australia and Gisborne and Marlborough region of New Zealand) the flavors become more citrus, peach and melon while in very warm locations (such as the Napa Valley AVA of California) more fig and tropical fruit notes such as banana and mango come out. Wines that have gone through malolactic fermentation tend to have softer acidity and fruit flavors with buttery mouthfeel and hazelnut notes.
- Item #: i_200830Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-99ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96-99 POINTS - "CIX stands for "109" as this block, planted in 2008 to Montrachet clones, was originally called "parcel 109" when they purchased it. The 2017 Chardonnay CIX Estate has an incredibly intense nose of lemon peel, green mango, fresh pears and powdered ginger with suggestions of baking bread, chopped cashews, lightly buttered popcorn and crème brulee. The palate is full-bodied, concentrated and bold with a racy line carrying the citrus and savory layers to an incredibly long finish."
- Item #: i_200700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-99ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96-99 POINTS - "A barrel sample, the 2017 Chardonnay Eastside Vineyard comes from a warmer site in the Russian River (usually picked second after Sugar Shack) planted to Montrachet clone on very rocky, gravelly soils—the vines really struggle here. It has quite a decadent nose of pineapple upside down cake, almond croissant, peach cobbler and apple crumble with hints of marzipan and orange blossoms. The palate is full-bodied, rich, powerful and opulent in the mouth, with a wonderful oiliness to the texture and a seamless backbone of freshness to give it just enough lift, finishing very long and savory. This is a powerhouse that should offer amazing aging potential."
ANTONIO GALLONI 95-98 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay Eastside Vineyard is incredibly expressive. Montrachet clone in this hillside Russian River site yields a Chardonnay of real distinction and nuance. A hint of reduction adds brightness to a core of candied orange, butter, vanillin and tropical notes. Even with all of its intensity, the 2017 is bright, focused and wonderfully lifted. Readers who can find it should not hesitate."
- Item #: i_228340Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 92ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - "The 2006 Chardonnay (4,600+ cases) was 80% tank-fermented with no malolatic, and 33% spent 18 months in barrel. It possesses lovely white peach, pear, and crushed rock characteristics, full body, splendid acidity as well as purity, and a gracious integration of subtle oak. This beautiful white can be enjoyed over the next 5-6 years."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Flinty, with a tight beam of mineral, white peach, nectarine, green apple and lime flavors that are concentrated, keeping the focus on the vibrant fruit. Drink now through 2014. 3,253 cases made."
- Item #: i_228010Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Comments: "With the complex fruit of a well grown, mature Chardonnay vineyard, coupled with the vineyard's inherent minerality and steely acidity, the intention is to cellar this rare wine, as it will develop over many years to come. With a beautiful pale straw and slight yellow color, this youthful beauty offers aromas of peach, meyer lemon, roasted hazelnut, crème brulee, douglas fir, baked apple and wet stone, and is classically Hanzell. It is full bodied with a very rich mouthfeel and an extremely long finish. If you are not a patient person, decanting this wine for a minimum of two hours prior to serving is recommended."
- Item #: i_277084Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "Flirting with perfection, the 2017 Chardonnay Belle-Cote is a thrilling, magical Chardonnay that ranks with the creme de la creme of the vintage. A huge nose of crushed rocks, lemon curd, brioche, and toast all flow to a full Chardonnay that has a deep, concentrated, layered style on the palate. It's one of those rich and powerful yet weightless wines, and it has terrific acidity, purity of fruit, and length. It will be better with another year or two of bottle age."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "A barrel sample (Rued clone and Old Wente), the 2017 Chardonnay Belle Cote has a simply gorgeous perfume of honeysuckle, spiced peaches, lychees and roses with touches of lime blossoms, mandarin peel and beeswax plus a hint of croissant. The palate is medium to full-bodied, rich, bold and seductive in the mouth with many aromatic layers and an epically long, vibrant finish. 2,320 cases are expected to be produced, to be released in February 2019."
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay Belle-Côte emerges from the oldest vines on the property, planted in 1990, and is a mix of three clones: See, Wente and Rued. The Belle- Côte is distinguished in this range by its powerful, phenolic personality and overall density. The 2017 is a big wine that needs time in the cellar to be at its best."
- Item #: i_271170Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Estate opens with tantalizing scents of green mango, pineapple and lemon meringue pie with nuances of cashews, candied ginger and brioche. Medium to full-bodied, the palate offers incredible tension and depth, with loads of tightly wound tropical and savory layers plus a silken texture, finishing very long."