- Item #: i_200028Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93This wine is made in the "Black Chardonnay" method; pre-press crush with 12 hour skin contact, heavy long pressing with no sulfites added to the juice, short settling before going into barrel, ambient yeast fermentation, minimal intervention, no batonnage, minimal pre-bottling sulfites, minimal filtering / fining. A barrel selection blend of Hyland, Anahata, Bunker Hill, and Chehalem Mountain Vineyard, the EGW "Extra Good White" is a complex, bright, yet silky expression of 100% Willamette Valley Chardonnay.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "00 Wines is crafting some of the most exciting Chardonnays in Willamette Valley. Anjou, France, native Pierre Millemann oversees winemaking in Oregon, and he is also in charge of 00's newest projects in France, where they are making a white Burgundy and Champagne."
"The 2017 Chardonnay EGW is scented of chamomile, fresh quince, grilled peaches, Greek yogurt, cashews and lemon curd with a flinty hint. The medium-bodied, silky palate features a lovely mix of ripe, honeyed fruits and mineral notions, enlivened by juicy acidity and finishing long and energetic. This has the mineral, nutty character of a great white Burgundy, with Oregonian flesh and power."
- Item #: i_200004Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92The 00 VGW (Very Good White) showcases the best of the Willamette Valley in a Chardonnay blend. Their "Black Chardonnay" production method results in a complex, savory Chardonnay, which has given 00 Wines an outstanding reputation for quality and attention to detail in the Willamette Valley after only two vintages of production. This annual blend is the signature Chardonnay entry into the world of 00 Wines. The 2016 VGW is a blend of single vineyard fermentations of Von Oehsen and Open Claim vineyards.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "00 Wines is crafting some of the most exciting Chardonnays in Willamette Valley. Anjou, France, native Pierre Millemann oversees winemaking in Oregon, and he is also in charge of 00's newest projects in France, where they are making a white Burgundy and Champagne."
"The 2017 Chardonnay VGW opens with fresh quince, brioche, red and yellow apples, gunflint and nutty aromas with hints of clotted cream, honey and yellow peaches. Medium-bodied, round and silky, it has pleasantly restrained, savory fruits with juicy freshness and a long, minerally finish."
- Item #: i_200480Bottle Size: 750mlII by Alpha Omega is the culmination of the two worlds, the Alpha and the Omega, the Old World and the New World. Winemakers Jean Hoefliger and Michel Rolland worked to create a wine that is not only opulent, fruit forward and generous, but also has the backbone of European acidity and elegance. A reflection of both worlds, II is a wine that is built to be approachable, both in taste and price, and consumed early.
This Chardonnay has a pale yet brilliant white gold color with touches of green. The nose displays intense green apple, pear, vanilla and white chocolate with minerality, bubble gum and jasmine mingled with fresh flavors of pear, apricot, honeysuckle and starfruit lingering on lemon and vanilla. Full-bodied, rich, and luscious, this is the quintessential wine for California Chardonnay lovers!
- Item #: i_200290Bottle Size: 750mlWinery's Tasting Notes: "Vibrant and rich with enticing aromatics that lead to a firm core of pear, apple and apricot flavors shaded by light spicy oak. On the palate, the wine offers layer upon layer of lingering flavors. The wine highlights varietal purity, elegance and a freshness on the palate."
- Item #: i_200430Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 91 PointsThe Los Alamos Vineyard is roughly 500 planted acres, most of which is on flat bottomland of the Los Alamos Valley that is sandwiched between the Santa Ynez Valley and Santa Maria Valley appellations. The best grapes from this vineyard are found to the north on the gentle slopes of the hills. Au Bon Climat sources grapes grown at the top of the wind-swept slopes of the Solomon Hills. On this hilltop the wind and shallower soils keep the yields low and the grapes struggle to ripen. Even though it is a struggle, the small crop ripens early. This is the first Chardonnay to arrive at the winery for the last 10 years. The small crop on these hardy vines is concentrated.
WINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "Warm almond, white peach and sweet oak aromas show on the nose of this wine from legend Jim Clendenen. There is solid tension to the palate, where edgy flavors of lemon skin are balanced by the warmth of hazelnut."
- Item #: i_202570Bottle Size: 750MLJack Niven pioneered winegrape planting with Paragon Vineyard in the Edna Valley in 1973. Not the bystander type, his wife Catharine soon after began a project that grew into what is now Baileyana Winery. In the mid 1990s, their two sons, James and John, purchased property next door, and expanded Paragon Vineyard. They designed and planted these new blocks with select clones, varieties and rootstocks specific to the site. They names this section Firepeak, in homage of th extinct volcanoes in the area, and the resulting volcanic soils.
A bright but complex Chardonnay, this wine has upfront flavors of crisp pear, lemon zest, pineapple, and hints of creamy vanilla. Aromas of citrus and tropical flavors highlight the complexity of flavors that run throughout. The wine is smoothly textured and is well balanced from start to finish.
- Item #: i_275937Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsPeople in the wine world always want to talk about the "new kid on the block", but what needs to be remembered is there are a few of the "old guards" that will go toe-to-toe with those "young guns" and give them a run for their money! For decades, Beringer has been making phenomenal, world-class wines utilizing time-honored techniques that are still used today by virtually all the high-quality producers…even by those "young guns"!
Beringer's Private Reserve Chardonnay highlights the richness and complexity of this varietal and has been one of the benchmark Chardonnays since its first vintage in 1978. Just to give you an idea of the quality, let's take a look at the scores from Robert Parker's Wine Advocate for the past few years:
2016 Vintage - 90-92 Points
2015 Vintage - 91 Points
2012 Vintage - 93 Points
2011 Vintage - 95 Points
2010 Vintage - 87 Points
2009 Vintage - 93 Points
2008 Vintage - 94 Points
2007 Vintage - 92 Points
2006 Vintage - 92 Points
These are scores that most producers receive every so often…but not with this consistency. This is one of the reasons why Beringer's Private Reserve Chardonnay is such in demand. And how do they do it? Well, winemaker Laurie Hook ferments the juice in French oak barrels to enhance the natural richness in the wine. Weekly lees stirring enhanced the toasty notes, and integrated the oak flavors for an overall balance. All of the wine was put through malolactic fermentation to encourage a lush creaminess. After 9 months aging, Laurie chose the most expressive lots and blended them to create this richly layered wine.
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "A different animal, the 2017 Chardonnay Private Reserve is richer and more opulent, with Montrachet-like caramelized lemon, tropical fruits, and brioche aromas and flavors. Nevertheless, it's still more elegant and vibrant than past vintages, with medium body, a layered texture, and good acidity. I love its balance and it can be drunk any time over the coming 2-4 years, although there's no need to delay gratification."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay Private Reserve aged for ten months in 100% new French oak. It opens with beautiful creme brulee and candied ginger notes over a core of pineapple and green mango with a waft of brioche. Medium-bodied, satiny and with fantastic freshness, it delivers loads of tropical layers and great length. 8,100 cases produced, to be released in March 2019."
- Item #: i_206040Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsThere is an alluring charm to the entire Central Coast wine producing region, but it was Santa Rita Hills that called to Greg Brewer and Steve Clifton. Besides the beauty of the land, the climate and the soil compositions there was a freshness in the air as the cool Pacific Ocean breeze filtered through the canyons and subsequent vineyards planted. For many years the two farmed the land and made outstanding wine, even earning praise from top critic Robert Parker Jr: "Two brilliant young winemakers, Greg Brewer and Steve Clifton, are symbolic of both the present and future of California high quality wine production." While the winery has been sold, Greg Brewer remains on board as head winemaker ensuring the vision both himself and Steve had along with the quality of the wine doesn't change for many years to come!
With the goal of expressing a comprehensive expression of the appellation, Brewer-Clifton selected four unique vineyard sites to create this Santa Rita Hills bottling. This blend is comprised of 3D, Machado, Acin, and Hapgood vineyards. As each vineyard has its own unique requirements, the winery manages each according to their inimitable needs rather than a macro approach to farming. Brewer-Clifton works to achieve a natrual balance between the site, the vines, the aspect and the microclimates in each vineyard, using sustainable and/or organic farming methods whenever possible.
JEB DUNNICK 95 POINTS - "One of the great values out there, the 2017 Chardonnay Sta. Rita Hills offers thrilling notes of white flowers, white peach, currants, and toasted bread. This ripe, sexy wine is unquestionably at the same level as the more expensive single vineyard releases, and it will evolve for just as long."
"This was another thrilling lineup from Greg Brewer, and I consistently rate these wines as some of the greatest in the Sta. Rita Hills, as well as all of Santa Barbara County. In addition to the latest releases, I was also able to taste retrospectives of his Chardonnay 3D and Pinot Noir Machado, which only reaffirmed my belief in the quality and age-worthiness of these wines. These are brilliant wines."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay (Sta. Rita Hills) is a gorgeous appellation-level wine from Brewer-Clifton. Creamy and ample, the 2017 is absolutely delicious. Tangerine, mint, lemon peel and sweet spice notes all meld together in a striking, nuanced Chardonnay that hits all the right notes. The 2017 is positively stellar. That's pretty much all there is to it."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Very spicy and well-structured, with firm acidity supporting the ripe pear, apple tart and lemon meringue flavors. Concentrated dried mango accents linger on the finish, along with pastry and nutmeg notes. Best from 2020 through 2025. 2,000 cases made"
- Item #: i_210160Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Wine Spectator: 91ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay Estate opens with notes of toast, cream, lemon pith and hay over a core of Red Delicious apple and banana chips. The medium-bodied palate is rounded and creamy with toasty spice and honey notions, finishing long and lifted with juicy acidity."
WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Intense and well-structured, with flavors of Bosc pear, Fuji apple and ruby grapefruit, supported by firm acidity. Dried savory herb notes linger on the fresh, pure-tasting finish. Drink now through 2023."
- Item #: i_216010Bottle Size: 750mlChamisal's 2017 Monterey County Chardonnay is vinified using traditional Burgundian winemaking techniques. This includes whole cluster pressing, barrel fermentations, batonnage, native yeast, and malolactic fermentation. They utilize press cuts to fine-tune quality and vinify in many small lots, allowing to assemble their Monterey Chardonnay with a focus on quality and richness.
This full-bodied wine exhibits classic varietal characteristics with aromas of toasted oak and creme brrlee. The entry is fruit driven with hints of lemon cream, Fuji apple, ripe pineapple and baked pear, leading to a rich and creamy mid-palate. Finishing clean with lingering acidity and broad texture, the wine is a beautiful example of Monterey County Chardonnay.
- Item #: i_210670Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay Grower Collection Calesa Vineyard is reticent on the nose at first, opening to apple blossom and wet stone with green and white fruits, fresh herbs, underlying spices and an intriguing note of tangerine peel. Medium-bodied, with a fantastic creamy/silky texture, it fills the mouth with spicy fruits and a line of rocky minerality, ending with nutty/honeyed nuances. Give this some time in bottle. 1,646 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay Calesa Vineyard is a very pretty, understated wine. Orchard fruit, pineapple, white flowers and mint are all nicely lifted in this right, super-expressive Petaluma Gap Chardonnay. Bright saline notes punctuate the super-expressive finish."
- Item #: i_244010Bottle Size: 750MLANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Montelena's 2017 Chardonnay is bright, focused and tightly wound, with tons of citrus peel, orchard fruit and floral character. Medium in body, with terrific energy underpinning the fruit, the 2017 is a winner. Picking early and blocking the malolactic fermentation yields a finely sculpted, nuanced Chardonnay long on class. I loved it."
- Item #: i_264010Bottle Size: 750mlThis Chardonnay delivers an appealing tropical fruit character from warmer sites. Its ripe pineapple and butterscotch flavors and rich, creamy texture. Try it with scallops, scampi or pasta with rich sauces.
- Item #: i_212020Bottle Size: 750MLThe cool growing region of Carneros allows Clos Pegase to keep the verve and complexity in their Chardonnay and delivers just the right amount of naturally bright acidity that works well when paired with the finest French oak. Clear lemon yellow in the glass. Upfront aromas of peach, melon, cut straw and bakers spice. A smooth delivery on the palate displays flavors of stone fruit, cantaloupe and pears with subtle notes of brioche and toasted coconut. The acid is bright and maintains a pleasant balance in the wine.
- Item #: i_214030Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "A year of warmth and opulence, the 2017 Estate Chardonnay offers aromas of honeysuckle, jasmine, vanilla and clove spice. The honeyed aromatics give way to unctuous fruit tones of pear and peach, with lemony brightness that carries along the rich spice and toasty brioche notes. This is a rich, plush and pleasing Chardonnay balanced beautifully by oak and refreshing fruit tones."
- Item #: i_200310Bottle Size: 750mlThe David Arthur Estate is located high on Pritchard Hill, on the eastern side of the Napa Valley. The rough mountain terrain and rocky red soils provide ideal growing conditions for wine grapes such as Cabernet Sauvignon. In 1978, Donald Long and his 28 year old son David began the epic job of building roads, clearing land and finally planting wine grapes. Although David lacked a formal viticultural education, he learned hands-on by working in the vineyards and cellars of local wineries such as the Chappellet and Joseph Phelps. The first vintage of Chardonnay was harvested in 1985, followed by Cabernet Sauvignon in the nineties. As his experience and knowledge of the land grew, David learned the ability of these hills to grow the very finest wine grapes. Today, with the help of a highly insightful team, David Arthur continues to cultivate rich concentrated wine grapes that in turn help them craft distinctive and memorable wines.
Chardonnay is now the anomaly, as David Arthur has sourced their Chardonnay grapes from the Oak Knoll District and Stagecoach Vineyard in Napa Valley for nearly a decade, and cherish their relationships with these independent growers that offer small parcels and unique clonal selections. The David Arthur Chardonnay style offers a wonderful balance of new world fruit expression and restrained winemaking technique.
A slight green-golden hue offers bright and illuminated aromas of kiwi, Asian pear and Golden Delicious apple, and white peach, citrus blossom followed by light hints of toasted almonds. The palate is soft/plush and full throttle with layers of citrus, candied apple, poached pear and finishes with a subtle minerality
- Item #: i_214000Bottle Size: 750mlDehlinger has long been recognized for its Russian River Valley Chardonnays, which are known for their balance, fresh acidity, and unctuous flavor. Today, Dehlinger produces a single Estate Chardonnay bottling each vintage, originating from their eight acres of Chardonnay vines planted between 1975 and 1988. These old vines, grown in the region's classic goldridge series soils, are grafted to the California heritage "Wente" clone, which produces small clusters and berries and has a notable minerality and almost oily viscosity.
Dehlinger's Chardonnays are crafted using traditional techniques which preserve the flavor and elegance of the variety. At harvest, the grapes are picked at night, brought cold into the winery and "whole cluster pressed" to extract the highest quality juice. From there, the juice is fermented in French oak barrels using native yeasts. The wine gains further complexity through malolactic fermentation and a year of aging on the lees. Dehlinger has been bottling its Chardonnays "Unfiltered" since the late 1990s in order to capture the full flavor potential and most pleasing texture possible.
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "Not surprisingly, in 2017 Dehlinger's Chardonnay Estate is quite racy and luscious. Orchard fruit, citrus confit, and wild flowers take on an extra level of sheer richness, while tropical accents add to the real feeling of exoticism."
- Item #: i_216080Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92+Pinot Noir takes the spotlight in the Oregon wine world, that's just a fact. And when it comes to their white wines, Pinot Gris is center stage. That being said, it is this producer's Chardonnay has stunned us the past few vintages, and we think it's been the best white from Oregon in several years! Named for winemaker Veronique Drouhin-Boss' son, Arthur is produced entirely from estate fruit and is handmade at DDO's landmark gravity flow winery in the Dundee Hills. Their Chardonnay vines were planted in 1992 and are 100% Dijon clones, some of the oldest such plantings in Oregon.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay Arthur was aged 10 months in about 15% new oak and has pure aromas of golden apples, quince, toast, honey, almonds and notions of elderflower, hay and chamomile. The light to medium-bodied palate is silky and delicate with mouthwatering acidity and a long, lively finish. This restrained, elegant Chardonnay will benefit from another year in bottle."
- Item #: i_216380Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Polished and elegantly opulent, with pear and apple flavors, accented by spice notes and finishing on a lingering steely detail. Drink now through 2020. 3,691 cases made."
- Item #: i_216814Bottle Size: 750mlThe fantastic 2017 growing season yielded an intense and complex expression of Napa Valley Chardonnay, with alluring aromas of nectarine, yellow plum, pineapple upsidedown cake, and sweet spices. On the palate, zesty acidity and an underlying silkiness add depth and nuance, with French oak-inspired hints of vanilla, sweet dough and clove framing the generous fruit.
- Item #: i_232540Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91Seven Springs Vineyard was planted in 1984 by Al MacDonald on an east-facing slope, in the iron-rich and rocky, volcanic soils of the Eola-Amity Hills. Al planted what would become one of Oregon's most recognized vineyards who sold fruit to many benchmark Oregon producers. The vineyard's position opposite of the windy Van Duzer Corridor mitigates hot, sunny afternoons in the Willamette Valley with cool winds from the Pacific. As valley temperatures increase throughout the day, warm air rises, replaced by cooling winds flooding in from the Pacific through the Van Duzer gap and across the vineyard providing extended hang time at harvest. The vineyard has always been dry farmed, it's certified LIVE and was converted to biodynamic viticulture in 2007.
At the helm of Seven Springs is Rajat Parr, world renowned wine sommelier and Sashi Moorman, known for his passion for winemaking and viticulture. Together, these two bring an insurmountable amount of knowledge leading Seven Springs into its 4th decade producing outstanding wines at an affordable price point!
WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Refined and elegantly layered, with floral apple, spiced lees and mineral notes that glide along a structured finish. Drink now through 2021. 1,500 cases made."
- Item #: i_220680Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNICK 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay Keefer Ranch comes from a well-known site in the Russian River Valley. It has a touch of good reduction as well as notes of crushed citrus, charcoal, graphite, and obvious minerality. Pure, elegant, and vibrant, with the racy style of the vintage, enjoy it over the coming 7-8 years."