Chardonnay is a green-skinned grape variety used to make white wine. It originated in the Burgundy wine region of eastern France but is now grown wherever wine is produced. The Chardonnay grape itself is very neutral, with many of the flavors commonly associated with the grape being derived from such influences as terroir and oak. It is vinified in many different styles, from the lean, crisply mineral wines of Chablis, France to New World wines with oak, and tropical fruit flavors. In cool climates (such as Chablis and the Sonoma Coast AVA of California), Chardonnay tends to be medium to light body with noticeable acidity and flavors of green plum, apple and pear. In warmer locations (such as the Adelaide Hills and Mornington Peninsula in Australia and Gisborne and Marlborough region of New Zealand) the flavors become more citrus, peach and melon while in very warm locations (such as the Napa Valley AVA of California) more fig and tropical fruit notes such as banana and mango come out. Wines that have gone through malolactic fermentation tend to have softer acidity and fruit flavors with buttery mouthfeel and hazelnut notes.
- Item #: i_228740Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 91-93ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2016 Hartford Court Chardonnay Far Coast Vineyard is a little youthfully closed with crushed rocks and chalk dust notes over a core of mandarin peel, Golden Delicious apples, pear tart and lightly browned toast. Medium to full-bodied, the palate simply vibrates with electric tension, offering vibrant citrus and apple layers and finishing long and stony. 323 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Far Coast Vineyard is laced with apricot, chamomile, mint and lightly honeyed notes flesh out in this racy, layered Chardonnay. The Far Coast is rich and unctuous in the glass, and yet retains a good deal of freshness to balance things out."
- Item #: i_228940Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97+ POINTS - "The 2016 Hartford Court Chardonnay Jennifer's Vineyard displays intense notes of grapefruit, green guava, mango and pineapple with nuances of talc, oyster shells and fresh ginger. The palate is medium-bodied, elegant and super intense with tightly wound layers of citrus and tropical fruits and bags of mineral notions on the epically long finish. This needs time but should emerge from the cellar gloriously in 2-3 years! 337 cases produced."
- Item #: i_229830Bottle Size: 750MLChardonnay The Heitz name is so deeply ingrained in the culture of Cabernet connoisseurs that some people are surprised to discover we have been making Chardonnay since the winery was founded in 1961. Sleek and vibrant with the invigorating aroma of juicy pear and lemon blossoms. It's a delicious wine delivering tiers of citrus flavor and the slight tanginess.
- Item #: i_238560Bottle Size: 750mlBright, youthful straw-yellow color with aromas of Golden Delicious apple, lime zest and pear. Made in a Burgundian style including alcoholic and malolactic fermentation in barrel with lees stirring, which contributes to a very complex bouquet of grilled nuts, butterscotch and gun flint with a very rich and unctuous mouthfeel. This is an enticingly delicious Chardonnay with complex aromas and flavors balanced by palate-cleansing acidity.
- Item #: i_235890Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91-93 POINTS - "A barrel sample, the 2016 Chardonnay features very pretty ripe grapefruit, apricot and honey-drizzled pears notes with hints of baking bread and marzipan. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has plenty of expressive citrus and stone fruit flavors with impressive savory accents and great length."
- Item #: i_274338Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2016 Laguna Chardonnay offers elegant hints of refreshing apple, peach, and ripe orange. Expressive layers of caramel and spice complement subtle toasted oak notes. Full bodied with hints of cream, this wine has a soft, lingering finish.
- Item #: i_236700Bottle Size: 750mlThe nose displays big ripe fruit with lovely oak and light buttery white peach with vanilla, and a hint of pineapple. A rich and elegant palate, clean and balanced. Nectarine and macaroon flavors persist into the long finish.
- Item #: i_236780Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91Liquid Farm's "White Hill" bottling is the leaner and more Chablisiane of their two Chardonnay bottlings. Comprised of fruit from some of the best vineyards in the area, White Hill highlights the unique salinity that comes through in the ancient soils of Santa Rita Hills. The style of this wine will always be racier and predominately neutral barrel fermentation. Its profile is that of mineral, yellow peach, fresh Asian pear, salinity, linen, candied ginger, and lavender cream.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "There are fully 1,200 cases of the 2016 Chardonnay White Hill, Liquid Farm's largest bottling, which offers up a crisp bouquet of white peach, citrus pith, smoke and faint reduction. On the palate, the wine is bright and medium-bodied, with racy acids and nice tension, but concluding with a somewhat fluid finish that depresses my score a touch."
- Item #: i_238700Bottle Size: EACHJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The Lucia wines are made by the Pisoni Family and focus on the non Pisoni Vineyard releases. As normal, these are impeccably made and terrific wines."
"Brought up in 35% new French oak and from the Soberanes and Pisoni vineyards (and mostly Wente clone), the 2016 Chardonnay Santa Lucia Highlands is a ripe, textured, impeccably balanced Chardonnay. Revealing plenty of melon, pineapple and salted citrus characteristics, it shows the classic, elegant style of the vintage as well as the fruit-forward character of the Santa Lucia Highlands."
- Item #: i_211590Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay is simply dazzling. Bright, fresh and nuanced, the 2016 possesses striking energy from the very first taste. Lemon peel, almond, mint and white flowers are some of the many aromas and flavors that emerge from this finely sketched, vibrant Chardonnay. A wine of pure and total class, the 2016 has the pedigree to age gracefully for many years to come. Quite simply, this is an unbelievably beautiful wine that is sure to delight Mayacamas fans."
- Item #: i_276720Bottle Size: 750MLFull-bodied and lush, yet never heavy, Miner's Wild Yeast Chardonnay shows off flavors of ripe pear and melon with butterscotch and hazelnut notes balanced by oak spice and bright acidity. This is a wildly expressive wine that will reward a few years of patient cellaring. The grapes are fermented using only indigenous or "wild" yeast cultures found on the skins of the grapes themselves, in the vineyards and within the walls of our winery.
- Item #: i_245240Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsThe Double L Vineyard is well situated to produce Chardonnay of the highest caliber. Located near the northern tip of the Santa Lucia Highlands AVA, the vineyard receives brisk afternoon breezes from nearby Monterey Bay. North-south vineyard row orientation allows for optimum sun exposure on the Highlands’ east - facing terraces. Wind and sun combine for a long growing season, resulting in vibrant fruit flavors with balanced acidity. The vineyard was certified organic in 2002, although it has been conscientiously farmed in this method since the original plantings in 1997.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "Limpid yellow. Powerful, mineral-accented Meyer lemon, pear and vanilla scents show very good clarity and complicating suggestions of fennel and toasty lees. Minerally and focused in the mouth, offering pliant citrus and orchard fruit flavors; deeper suggestions of honey and buttered toast emerge on the back half. Shows impressive depth as well as energy and finishes smoky and very long, with a suave floral nuance hanging on."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Aged 10 months in 15% new French oak, the 2016 Chardonnay Double L is a step up in quality and is a more serious, layered Chardonnay. White peach, white flowers, honeysuckle, and a touch of brioche all emerge from this silky, elegant effort that has racy acidity, terrific balance, and a great finish. Drink it any time over the coming 5-7 years, and I wouldn/t be surprised to see it keep longer."
- Item #: i_245490Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 90Jeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsMount Eden is one of California's first truly boutique wineries. After prohibition, a gentleman by the name of Martin Ray began producing wine from this area using "obscure" grapes such as Pinot Noir and Chardonnay at a time when inferior grapes were the norm. His wines quickly became known as being some of the best in the state. He then sold that property and purchased a superior site "...just up the hill." That new property is Mount Eden and it is not uncommon for the Chardonnays to get critical scores somewhere between 94-96 points. In addition, they purchase a small amount of grapes from Edna Valley, a cool-climate region in California's Central Coast.
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Edna Valley is also terrific, with a slightly more layered, textured style and less minerality than the Santa Cruz Chardonnay. Ripe orchard fruits, some tropical notes, background oak, and a medium-bodied, rich, balanced texture all make for a terrific cool climate Chardonnay to drink over the coming 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_247100Bottle Size: 750MLThe Carneros District Chardonnay comes from three vineyards planted to 'Shot-Wente' selection. All are in the cool-weather area of Carneros, near the San Francisco Bay. 'Shot-Wente' is an heirloom Chardonnay selection with grapes that are smaller than normal, giving them increased skin surface relative to the juice. That ratio makes the wine especially flavorful.
Apple, pear, peach, apricot, lemon, lime, orange, pineapple, kiwi, butter, cream and vanilla
- Item #: i_276340Bottle Size: 750mlStiling Vineyard, located in the Green Valley AVA of the Russian River Valley, was planted by the Stiling family in 1988. The vineyard is composed of the infamous Goldridge sandy loam soils, which produce vines of moderate vigor. Nickel and Nickel sources their fruit from two different blocks and two different clones— the See clone and the Rued clone. These clones each offer a unique flavor to the Stiling wine. The coastal influence produces daytime temperatures that allow the grapes to slowly develop full ripeness while retaining perfect balance. Nickel and Nickel produces Chardonnay from 10.5-acres within the 35-acre vineyard.
The 2016 Stiling Chardonnay opens with intoxicating floral aromas of muscat and honeysuckle. Layers of Meyer lemon, honeysuckle and citrus flavors glide across the palate. Supported by subtle oak and a natural acidity that adds vibrance and length, this wine is both refreshing and expansive, with elegant notes of muscat lingering on the finish.
- Item #: i_247670Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Puerta Del Mar offers more citrus and white flowers as well as a crisp, tart, salty style on the palate. This cool site has yielded a chiseled, focused Chardonnay that's going to benefit from a year or two of bottle age."
- Item #: i_249340Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Dutton Ranch gives up gregarious notes of nectarines, guava and passion fruit with suggestions of almond croissant and honeysuckle. The palate is medium to full-bodied with a lovely creaminess to the texture and oodles of freshness, finishing long and fruity. 10,051 cases produced."
- Item #: i_249865Bottle Size: 750MLThis wine embodies the rich diversity of world-class vineyards in the acclaimed Sonoma Coast appellation, and the talents of the gifted winegrowers who farm these sites. Combining fruit from a "who's who" of the appellation's most renowned vineyards, this cuvee includes Sanchietti Vineyard, Gap's Crown Vineyard, Zio Tony Ranch, Dutton Ranch, and Durrell Vineyard. On the nose, aromas of dried orange peel, roasted almond, lemon sugar cookie and green apple are nicely supported by spicy French oak shadings. The mouthfeel is crisp and juicy with cascading, mouthwatering flavors of spicy pear, lime zest, yeast and toffee. The finish is long and focused by crisp acidity leading to lingering flavors that keep pumping.
- Item #: i_230550Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Vinous Media: 90-92ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - The 2016 Chardonnay features a wonderfully spicy nose of nutmeg, ginger ale and coriander seed with a core of Bosc pears, ripe nectarines and applesauce. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has fantastic freshness with a zippy acid line lifting all those fantastic spices to a good long finish. 5,390 cases were made.
ANTONIO GALLONI 90-92 POINTS - The 2016 Chardonnay (Russian River Valley) is a very pretty, nuanced wine, and also a terrific introduction to this range of super-expressive Chardonnays from Paul Hobbs. The understated personality of the year comes through nicely in the wine's lifted, gracious feel. The lemon confit and white flower notes are bright and nicely delineated
- Item #: i_244840Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "From one of the oldest vineyards in the Santa Maria Valley, Paul Lato's superb 2016 Chardonnay le Souvenir Sierra Madre Vineyard reveals attractive aromas of yellow orchard fruit, citrus zest, peach and honeycomb. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, with more textural glossiness than the Belle de Jour, underpinned by bright acids and concluding with an intense, chalky finish. This is quite structurally tight-knit right now and will need a couple of years in the cellar to blossom."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "From a great site in the Santa Maria Valley, which is a cool region, the 2016 Chardonnay le Souvenir Sierra Madre Vineyard has slightly more tropical notes with hints of papaya, lemon curd, poached pear, and spice all emerging from the glass. It's a rounded, nicely concentrated, supple Chardonnay that has good acidity and freshness yet the more forward, charming nature of the 2016 vintage front and center. Brought up in 60% new French oak, drink it any time over the coming 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_249690Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsPeake Ranch is a boutique winery owned by John & Gillian Wagner. Like all of us who have visited Santa Barbara County, the couple fell in love with the beautiful country side and the friendliness of the people.. They purchased Peake Ranch with a vision of building a winery and a house on the property. Years later they are in their third vintage garnering rave reviews from the top critics. Paul Lato leads the team as winemaker and with nearly two decades of experience, has earned critical acclaim with top critics along with placements of his own wines in top restaurants in the United States, Europe and Japan!
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Aged 18 months in 78% new French oak, the entry level 2016 Chardonnay Santa Barbara County is a winner. Sourced from throughout the Santa Barbara County and aged 18 months in 78% new barrels, it offers a big bouquet of tropical fruits, pineapple, apple blossom, white flowers, and hints of spice. It's pure, silky and elegant on the palate, with nicely integrated acidity as well as big finish. It's well worth seeking out, and while it's the entry level cuvee of the estate, it's a match for just about every other Chardonnay out there."
Winery Notes - This bright and energetic Chardonnay is everything we love about the Central Coast. The fresh notes of lemon zest, jasmine, apricot, freshly-fluffed cotton, and chamomile create grace within the glass. Pale, yellow stone in color and elegantly focused. Acid remains a dominant component of its structure, which makes this an ideal companion for a wide variety of dishes.
- Item #: i_276360Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 98ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Ma Belle Fille slowly unfurls in the glass to reveal vibrant key lime pie, lemongrass, pink grapefruit and white peaches scents with suggestions of crushed stones, clotted cream, almond croissant and orange blossoms. Medium to full-bodied and with a fantastic intensity of citrus and stone fruit layers giving way to loads of mineral accents, it finishes long and creamy. 1,650 cases produced."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "From a western slope that sees the morning sun, the 2016 Chardonnay Ma Belle-Fille is a smoking effort. White peach, apple, white flowers, tangerine, and ample spice notes all emerge from this richer, concentrated, opulent hedonistic Chardonnay that has notable acidity and a pure, elegant finish."
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Ma Belle-Fille is one of the more reticent wines in the range. Like all of the 2016s at Peter Michael, Ma Belle Fille is tightly wound, perhaps a reflection of the high altitude (the highest on the property) of the 12 parcels that inform the blend. A host of bright saline notes add freshness to the natural richness of these old Wente Chardonnay clones."
- Item #: i_215570Bottle Size: 750mlThe French word collines means "hills," and it aptly describes the Carneros landscape in the southern reaches of Napa Valley, where gentle rolling hills surround our estate vineyard. Deep, heavy clay loam soils, combined with the marine influences of the nearby San Pablo Bay and Pacific Ocean, give Chardonnay wines from this region a distinctive balance of fruit and acidity.
Aromas are inviting with notes of oak, vanilla, citrus, apples, and pineapple. This single vineyard produces a structured and voluptuous Chardonnay with generous fruit flavors of apple, citrus, and tropical fruit, with nuances of caramel and spice from oak aging. A nutty character and notes of apple crumble complement the bright citrus accents. The silky, creamy mouthfeel combines with bright acidity and leads to a clean, lingering finish.