Chardonnay is a green-skinned grape variety used to make white wine. It originated in the Burgundy wine region of eastern France but is now grown wherever wine is produced. The Chardonnay grape itself is very neutral, with many of the flavors commonly associated with the grape being derived from such influences as terroir and oak. It is vinified in many different styles, from the lean, crisply mineral wines of Chablis, France to New World wines with oak, and tropical fruit flavors. In cool climates (such as Chablis and the Sonoma Coast AVA of California), Chardonnay tends to be medium to light body with noticeable acidity and flavors of green plum, apple and pear. In warmer locations (such as the Adelaide Hills and Mornington Peninsula in Australia and Gisborne and Marlborough region of New Zealand) the flavors become more citrus, peach and melon while in very warm locations (such as the Napa Valley AVA of California) more fig and tropical fruit notes such as banana and mango come out. Wines that have gone through malolactic fermentation tend to have softer acidity and fruit flavors with buttery mouthfeel and hazelnut notes.
- Item #: i_200006Bottle Size: EACHLa Chertosa is named for the magnificent 14th century Renaissance monastery in the Tuscan valley of Farneta, Italy where the Sebastiani ancestral roots began. Here Sam's grandfather Samuele Sebastiani learned from the monks to make wine in the "Old World" style. Samuele came to Sonoma in 1893, and found that Sonoma closely resembled faraway Farneta in three ways; it boasted a mild Mediterranean climate, had the same Mediterranean red soils and was blessed with gently sloping hillsides. He founded Sebastiani Winery in 1904, one of the first wineries in California and employed the time-honored techniques taught him by the Carthusian monks in Farneta, to create in Sonoma, the winemaking style Sam continues in crafting the harmonic flavors in La Chertosa wines.
- Item #: i_236450Bottle Size: 750MLHere’s an old favorite which we love and promote for good reason. The La Crema Chardonnay shows off its true Sonoma Coast origins like a very expensive wine should, but wait... this only costs $15.99!
There are delicious flavors of pear, white peach and butterscotch intermingling on the palette and a long lingering finish that goes farther than any wine at this price should. This wine is more than just value, as it shows true depth and personality. Winemaker Melissa Stackhouse takes great care in ensuring that this wine is balanced and a marvelous stand out in the great sea of value-priced Chardonnay.
Just a quick whiff reveals great purity, with huge tropical and floral notes. In light of our current economic climate, La Crema Winery hits the mark on quality and availability, all the while delivering it prudently. Oh! And we should mention that Robert Parker said, This Chardonnay / Pinot Noir specialist should receive rave notices from bargain hunters looking for a top-flight Chardonnay that is complex, rich, and widely available. So we are by no means the only people who understand this winery's significance.
- Item #: i_236900Bottle Size: 750MLAn elegant blend of premium fruit from Sonoma County, the vineyards used in the Overlook Chardonnay represent some of the best that 2017 had to offer. Greg Stach's expertise selecting the finest sites and their growers' excellent viticultural practices yielded truly exceptional fruit from respected parcels such as the Russian River Valley, Petaluma Gap and Sonoma Carneros. The Chardonnay is hand harvested, hand sorted and fermented using all native yeasts providing the purest snapshot of what this vintage had to offer.
Pale yellow in the glass, showing aromas of meyer lemon, baked apple and honeysuckle. The full-bodied palate shows ripe lemon, yellow apple skin on entry with, creamy peach, subtle butterscotch notes and chamomile flower with a hint of salted caramel on the mid palate. The finish has an attractive mineral texture and fresh acidity with lightly toasted brioche and tropical fruit notes.
- Item #: i_237450Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2015 Chardonnay shows the natural intensity of the year in its voluptuous, tropical personality. Pineapple, mint, orange peel, smoke and apricot infuse this racy, powerful Chardonnay. Oily and viscous on the palate, with tremendous textural depth and tons of sheer appeal, the 2015 has a lot to offer."
- Item #: i_238940Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92The grapes for this Chardonnay came exclusively from Macrostie's Wildcat Mountain Vineyard, owned by Steve MacRostie and his partners Nancy and Tony Lilly. Here the vines dig into the sparse volcanic soil and stand firm against the strong winds that race in off of the Pacific Ocean most afternoons. This fog-shrouded mountaintop vineyard is a classic Sonoma Coast site, cool and challenging, and produces wines of great distinction.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - ""The 2016 Wildcat Mountain Vineyard Chardonnay delivers notes of white peaches, ripe Golden Delicious apples and Bosc pears with hints of allspice, shaved almonds and chalk dust. The palate nails it with intense yet elegantly played apple and pear flavors, accented with plenty of toast and spice, and gives a long, refreshing finish. 1,595 cases produced."
- Item #: i_238950Bottle Size: 375ML**Please note, this is a half sized bottleThe wine is pale straw gold in color, with bright lavender, wet stone and citrus aromas, with a touch of creamy custard. In the mouth it is elegant and full, with crisp apple and ripe pear flavors, plus a touch of vanilla caramel from the oak. The finish is soft and smooth, very dry, but leaves lingering lush primary fruit flavors.
- Item #: i_238960Bottle Size: 750mlSteve MacRostie started making Chardonnay under his own label in 1987, and MacRostie Chardonnay has been a staple at Hi-Time for nearly as long. Steve and his team noticed over the years that their best lots of Chardonnay were coming from the Sonoma side of Carneros. As their own "Wildcat Mountain" vineyard began to mature and yield enough fruit for wine production, their preferences were truly confirmed. In addition to their estate vineyards, MacRostie works with other family farmers who share the passion for quality grape growing, with a focus on sustainability. In fact, in May of 2012 MacRostie Winery earned the Certified California sustainable Winegrowing designation!
The grapes for this Chardonnay came from several exceptional Sonoma Coast vineyards, and the list almost reads like a "who's who" of the region. Sangiacomo and Hi Vista vineyards are located in the Carneros region, and MacRostie's talented winemaker Heidi Bridenhagen also works with some amazing Russian River Valley properties, including vineyards owned by the renowned Dutton and Martinelli families. Another key vineyard in this wine is Steve MacRostie's own Wildcat Mountain Vineyard, which is situated high up in the volcanic hills of the Petaluma Gap region. Selected for their cool climates and unique growing conditions, these vineyards lend distinct and complex characteristics to their Sonoma Coast Chardonnay.
- Item #: i_239810Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 92In an effort to produce a wine that pays honorable tribute to the esteemed AVA, Martin Ray sources their grapes from premium sites throughout the region. This blend includes several of the vineyards that have shown as standouts within the vast and rugged Sonoma Coast, most notably Mill Station Vineyard and Cartan Vineyard.
From the cool diurnal shifts in the south, to higher elevations in the North, there is a striking contrast to the concentration of fruit and high acidity. Cool, dry and long growing seasons in this maritime climate are essential, yielding wines of balance and complexity.
JAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS - "Plenty of sliced-apple and cooked-pear aromas follow through to a full body, salty and tangy fruit flavors and a long flavorful finish. Really energetic. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_240520Bottle Size: 750mlAged for 9 months in French oak, this wine exhibits aromas of golden delicious apple crisp, Meyer lemon blossom, grilled white nectarine, candied pineapple, roasted almonds and warm panettone. Hints of smoke commingle with honeysuckle. With an unctuous and tentacled texture, it has a savory, rich mouthfeel with cascading acidity.
- Item #: i_245200Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "Leading off the Chardonnays, the 2016 Chardonnay Ma Douce (which translates to "My Sweet") is a rich, full-bodied, blockbuster effort that still stays incredibly pure, seamless, and elegant. Heavenly notes of crushed citrus, flower oil, brioche, toasted nuts, and ample crushed rock notes all emerge from the glass, and it has vibrant acidity and is perfectly balanced. It's a world-class Chardonnay."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Ma Douce is from a vineyard in Fort Ross Sea View not far from Marcassin, on the second ridge in from the ocean and located at 1,300-1,500 feet in elevation. The vines are Old Wente clones planted on Goldridge soils. It begins a little youthfully reticent, opening out to notes of warm peaches, grapefruit, pear tart and toasted almond with hints of baking bread and chalk dust. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has a beautifully satiny texture with a racy line lifting the savory layers to a nice long finish. 650 cases were made."
- Item #: i_248670Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsOlema wine is a small collection put out by Amici Cellars; a winery known for their high scoring Napa wines. This particular Chardonnay is sourced mainly from the Russian River Valley with 10% coming from the Sonoma Coast. There is a combination of stainless steel and oak aged Chardonnay blended harmoniously together producing a wine of beautiful balance. Over all this wine is on the crisper end of the spectrum with nice minerality. On the palate it showcases classic green apple notes along with some citrusy tones, stone fruits and hints of saline. This wine making team did an awesome job producing such a great overachiever in this price range.
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "The value-priced 2017 Chardonnay Sonoma Coast way over-delivers and has classic Sonoma Coast character, yet it sells for a song. Lots of tart peach, crushed citrus, and some obvious salinity all emerge from this medium-bodied, vibrant, fresh Chardonnay that's ideal for a house white."
JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "A very pretty white with sliced apples and peaches on the nose and palate. Medium body. Bright and beautiful. Bright acidity. Delicious vivacity. Clean. Drink now."
- Item #: i_275530Bottle Size: 750mlOutlot's vineyards are planted to a range of clones, from the famed perfumed Dijon Clones, to the fleshy clone L7, to the tropical clone 4. Through small lot fermentation they enhance the distinction of each clone, then blend in proportions that bring the best of each to the resulting wine.
Fermented in oak barrels and with a light golden yellow in color, the Outlot Chardonnay has a nose reminiscent of warm apple pie with hints of cardamom, toffee and acacia blossoms. The luscious, creamy entry on the palate leads to waves of honeycomb, honeycrisp apple, peach, and a touch of apricot, finishing with rich butterscotch flavors and a kiss of vanilla. A truly handsome wine.
- Item #: i_249865Bottle Size: 750MLThis wine embodies the rich diversity of world-class vineyards in the acclaimed Sonoma Coast appellation, and the talents of the gifted winegrowers who farm these sites. Combining fruit from a "who's who" of the appellation's most renowned vineyards, this cuvee includes Sanchietti Vineyard, Gap's Crown Vineyard, Zio Tony Ranch, Dutton Ranch, and Durrell Vineyard. On the nose, aromas of dried orange peel, roasted almond, lemon sugar cookie and green apple are nicely supported by spicy French oak shadings. The mouthfeel is crisp and juicy with cascading, mouthwatering flavors of spicy pear, lime zest, yeast and toffee. The finish is long and focused by crisp acidity leading to lingering flavors that keep pumping.
- Item #: i_230420Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay Richard Dinner Vineyard charges forth with notes of spiced apples, pear tart and brioche with touches of butterscotch, lime blossoms and coriander seed plus a waft of mandarin peel. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is still very tightly wound, with a compelling backbone of freshness cutting through the intense citrus and savory layers, finishing long and mineral laced. 597 cases produced, to be released in March 2019."
- Item #: i_252770Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Plenty of white flowers, salty minerality, and lemon curd notes emerge from the 2016 Chardonnay Fort Ross-Seaview, a beautifully balanced, crisp, classic wine from Ramey that will keep for 7-8 years, probably longer. It's also a great introduction into the style of wines of Dave Ramey."
- Item #: i_277680Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay Platt Vineyard is racy and alluring from the very first taste. Orange peel, mint, chamomile, dried flowers and buttery notes infuse this sumptuous, oily Chardonnay. The Platt is one of the more overt wines in this range. All of the elements simply fall into place effortlessly. A final note of botrytis-tinged nuance adds to the wine's immeasurable appeal."
- Item #: i_277610Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Chardonnay (Sonoma Coast) is such a beautiful wine. Pliant and creamy, the 2018 offers a striking interplay of vibrancy and fruit depth. Apricot, mint, dried flowers and light tropical inflections add myriad shades of complexity to this striking, expressive appellation-level Chardonnay. The 2018 is a blend of fruit mostly from Riddle and Thieriot."
- Item #: i_257980Bottle Size: 750MLBold, rich and spicy, with a juicy core of melon, fig, green apple and citrus flavors, shaded by light spicy oak. A poised style of Chardonnay that exhibits a custard-like texture while having an incredible drinkability. This wine is a sure crowd-pleaser.
- Item #: i_258430Bottle Size: 750MLThe Sonoma Coast Chardonnay is produced with minimal use of new oak, to allow the bright varietal character to shine through. It was harvested from select vineyards located in the Sonoma Coast appellation, including the cooler microclimates of western Carneros, southern Sonoma Valley and the Petaluma Gap. It has a spicy apple aroma with hints of nutmeg and cream. Silky textured, it has delicate flavors of fresh fennel, pear and ripe apple.
- Item #: i_276210Bottle Size: 750mlSourced from vineyards that are sustainable or organic, Smoke Tree Chardonnay is anything but typical for California; with elegance and balance, it unites stone fruit and white flower aromatics, flavors of citrus and granny smith apple, and a finish that lingers with acidity and minerality.
- Item #: i_262440Bottle Size: 750mlThis vintage is loaded with aromas of lemon and lime, and accented with hints of Bosc pear, caramel, oak spice and the familiar, flinty, mineral notes that are a defining characteristic of the Les Pierres Vineyard. The citrus flavors of grapefruit and lime are complemented and balanced with toasty, caramelized oak, and spice. The careful approach to oak aging and fermentation creates a round, full mouthfeel with Sonoma-Cutrer's signature bright and lively citrus-laced acidity and a long, lingering finish of nice barrel spice.
- Item #: i_262500Bottle Size: 750MLFruit aromas of Golden Delicious apple, Bosc pear and white peach are accented with oak spice, a hint of vanilla, toasted nuts, a light floral note and a touch of butterscotch. This wine has the signature Sonoma-Cutrer balance between elegance and richness for a medium-bodied, mouth-filling wine. The creamy richness is balanced with a bright acidity and highlighted with flavors of apple, pear and lemon zest. There is a long finish highlighted with notes of toasted almonds and barrel spice.