Chardonnay is a green-skinned grape variety used to make white wine. It originated in the Burgundy wine region of eastern France but is now grown wherever wine is produced. The Chardonnay grape itself is very neutral, with many of the flavors commonly associated with the grape being derived from such influences as terroir and oak. It is vinified in many different styles, from the lean, crisply mineral wines of Chablis, France to New World wines with oak, and tropical fruit flavors. In cool climates (such as Chablis and the Sonoma Coast AVA of California), Chardonnay tends to be medium to light body with noticeable acidity and flavors of green plum, apple and pear. In warmer locations (such as the Adelaide Hills and Mornington Peninsula in Australia and Gisborne and Marlborough region of New Zealand) the flavors become more citrus, peach and melon while in very warm locations (such as the Napa Valley AVA of California) more fig and tropical fruit notes such as banana and mango come out. Wines that have gone through malolactic fermentation tend to have softer acidity and fruit flavors with buttery mouthfeel and hazelnut notes.
- Item #: i_200505Bottle Size: 375mlWine Spectator: 91**Please note, this is a half sized bottleWINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "A broad-shouldered effort, rich and layered, with extracted pear and melon flavors and toasty, smoky, vanilla-scented oak making for a mouthful of Chardonnay that reminds me of versions from Napa in years past. Drink now through 2021. 3,000 cases made."
- Item #: i_210160Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Estate is scented of ripe Bosc pears, fresh apple slices and nutmeg with hints of peach kernels, lightly browned toast and struck flint. Medium to full-bodied, the palate offers plenty of apple and pear goodness, with a satiny texture and lively line, finishing creamy."
- Item #: i_216330Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90Mount Eden has a long and glorious history. Originally planted by a man named Martin Ray, many of the original Mount Eden Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays are some of the best renditions California has ever produced! Flash-forward to the present, and the wines are just as good as they always were. In addition to their estate wines, they produce a second wine called Domaine Eden. Sourced from a well-maintained vineyard just one mile away from their estate, Mount Eden utilizes the same exacting methods for their estate wines: natural indigenous fermentations - both primary and secondary, French Burgundy barrels, no fining, filtration or any other manipulation.
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Spicy, toasty oak adds a rich dimension to a core of citrus, apple, melon and pear flavors, staying on point, with a mix of wood and fruit. Drink now. 1,520 cases made."
- Item #: i_232540Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93Seven Springs Vineyard was planted in 1984 by Al MacDonald on an east-facing slope, in the iron-rich and rocky, volcanic soils of the Eola-Amity Hills. Al planted what would become one of Oregon's most recognized vineyards who sold fruit to many benchmark Oregon producers. The vineyard's position opposite of the windy Van Duzer Corridor mitigates hot, sunny afternoons in the Willamette Valley with cool winds from the Pacific. As valley temperatures increase throughout the day, warm air rises, replaced by cooling winds flooding in from the Pacific through the Van Duzer gap and across the vineyard providing extended hang time at harvest. The vineyard has always been dry farmed, it's certified LIVE and was converted to biodynamic viticulture in 2007.
At the helm of Seven Springs is Rajat Parr, world renowned wine sommelier and Sashi Moorman, known for his passion for winemaking and viticulture. Together, these two bring an insurmountable amount of knowledge leading Seven Springs into its 4th decade producing outstanding wines at an affordable price point!
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Graceful and elegantly complex, with alluring Meyer lemon and green apple flavors accented by wet stone and sweet anise notes on a lingering finish. Drink now through 2021. 1,019 cases made."
- Item #: i_228340Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 92ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - "The 2006 Chardonnay (4,600+ cases) was 80% tank-fermented with no malolatic, and 33% spent 18 months in barrel. It possesses lovely white peach, pear, and crushed rock characteristics, full body, splendid acidity as well as purity, and a gracious integration of subtle oak. This beautiful white can be enjoyed over the next 5-6 years."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Flinty, with a tight beam of mineral, white peach, nectarine, green apple and lime flavors that are concentrated, keeping the focus on the vibrant fruit. Drink now through 2014. 3,253 cases made."
- Item #: i_237510Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93AVNI Chardonnay reflects the complex flavor profile of Eola-Amity Hills chardonnay combined with Chardonnay from 100% Jory soils in Salem's Bunker Hill, Dundee's Durand, and a Yamhill-Carlton site, with a contribution from Laubejac vineyard fruit near Monmouth, on the southwestern side of the region in Willakenzie and Dupee soils. The wine is silky, racy and complex, with a lasting finish of citrus, pear, white flowers and flinty mouthwatering minerality. The treatment of the fruit at harvest reflects the winemaking philosophy of Dominique Lafon.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Refined and gracefully complex, with precise and vibrant Meyer lemon, river stone and apricot flavors that glide on a long finish. Drink now through 2020. 1,041 cases made."
- Item #: i_248780Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsLet's be honest, when you have such notables as Randy Dunn, Helen Turley, Erin Green, and Michel Rolland having worked for a winery, you know great things are afoot! Jayson Pahlmeyer and his crew have worked hard for 30 years to produce the best Cabernets, Merlots, Pinot Noirs, and Chardonnays they possibly could, and they have succeeded year after year! The Pahlmeyer wines are highly sought after, receive lofty scores, and are coveted by consumers and collectors alike.
This year, it is their Napa Valley Chardonnay garnering the spotlight! Coming from Pahlmeyer's estate high on Atlas Peak, the vineyard ranges in elevation from 1,500 to 2,100 feet. The vineyard was planted by Davis Abreu, whose skilled hand has also worked with Screaming Eagle, Staglin, and Harlan. This site is rocky and desolate, with low vigor and good drainage; perfect for grapes!
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS! "Bottled in August, the 2017 Chardonnay Napa Valley offers Aubert-like notes of white flowers, white peach, tangerine, flower oil, and white flowers. It's rich, layered, so pure and balanced, and is just a class act as well as one of the top Chardonnays in this report."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS! "...the 2017 Chardonnay gives very pretty white peaches, pink grapefruit, honey-drizzled pears and lime blossoms with touches of nutmeg, marzipan and baker's yeast. The palate is medium-bodied with a slight, very pleasant phenolic grip to the texture and bags of stone fruit and pear layers, finishing on a lovely savory note."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "Pahlmeyer's 2017 Chardonnay (Napa Valley) is a pretty, very supple wine. Orchard fruit, chamomile, sage, mint and apricot are nicely pushed forward in this open-knit, creamy Chardonnay. Beautifully balanced and racy, the 2017 has a lot to offer. The Napa Valley Chardonnay is a blend of fruit from the estate and Antinori's Antica property on Atlas Peak. This is an attractive wine, especially within the context of the vintage."
- Item #: i_255200Bottle Size: 750mlThe fruit for this wine comes from vineyards in the Carneros region owned by the Rombauer family and select growers including the Sangiacomo family, long-term grower partners who have farmed this land for three generations. The grapes were gently whole-cluster pressed while the fruit was still cool. The juice was pumped to tank to cold-settle overnight before it was racked to barrel for primary and malolactic fermentation. The lees were stirred every two weeks to give the wine rich flavors and a creamy texture.
Enticing aromas of vanilla, peach and mango are layered with apricots, creme brulee, butter and a slight minerality. Those scents are echoed as flavors on the creamy, rich palate, along with peach, pie crust and baking spices. The long, smooth finish is marked by mouthwatering acidity.
- Item #: i_257970Bottle Size: 750MLThe Gamble Ranch Chardonnay is a big and rich style of Chardonnay in every vintage. It sees 100% new French oak barrels that are medium toasted from two cooperages. After 100% malolactic fermentation the wine remains in barrel sur lies and is stirred (batonnage) once a week while it is in barrel. This aids in the development of the Gamble’s signature rich mouthfeel, crème brulee, and butterscotch qualities. Each vintage of the Gamble exhibits an orange or orange peel quality that balance out the wine in its flavor profile. The finish might be another hallmark of this wine. It tends to linger on the palate.