- Item #: i_200100Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker Chris Phelps grew up in the hills of the Livermore Valley, east of San Francisco, in a family of wine lovers. His early interest in winemaking grew out of his parents' practice of making a barrel or two of Zinfandel or Cabernet for family and friends. Chris attended UC Davis with the sensible plan of becoming a doctor. However, his love of wine and France pulled him into the school's Enology and Viticulture program, an internship at Louis M. Martini in Napa Valley, and the world of professional winemaking.
From there, Chris then embarked on a 16-month sojourn in Bordeaux, where he met Christian Moueix, who persuaded him to stay on to manage the 1982 harvest at Château des Laurets, in the Puisseguin-St. Emilion district of Bordeaux. It was during this trial-by-fire experience that Chris met his mentor, the brilliant Jean-Claude Berrouet, who served for 44 years as the winemaker of Chateau Petrus. To this day, Chris still credits much of his inspiration as a winemaker and his solid understanding of the technical challenges of the winemaking craft to Berrouet's tutelage. Upon returning to Napa Valley, Chris spent twelve years as winemaker at Dominus, as part of the Berrouet-Moueix team. He considers the 1991 and 1994 vintages to be among the greatest wines he has helped to create. He then spent seven years at Caymus Vineyards, managing all red winemaking from 1999 through 2002.
Ad Vivum (Latin for "toward wine") Cabernet Sauvignon is made from one small micro-block of vines at Sleeping Lady Vineyard, in Yountville, Napa Valley. The vines are located at the vineyard's uppermost western perimeter along the Mayacamas Mountains. Row orientation is southwestnortheast. The vineyard is sustainably and meticulously farmed by the Bettinelli family. The soil profile shows Keefers dark gravelly-sandy clay loam of alluvial origin.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Sleeping Lady Vineyard is pliant, succulent and super-inviting. Dark cherry, plum, lavender and sweet spice notes are all given an extra kick of plushness in a gracious, silky Cabernet that captures the essence of Sleeping Lady. The purity of the fruit alone is striking. Perfumed, suave and wonderfully detailed, the 2016 is exquisitely beautiful. When I think of reference-point wines from Sleeping Lady, Chris Phelps' Cabernet is very often on top of my mind."
- Item #: i_277843Bottle Size: 750MLAdelaida's distinct family owned vineyards lie in the craggy hillside terrain of Paso Robles' Adelaida District, 14 miles from the Pacific coast. Ranging from 1400 – 2000 feet in elevation these low yielding vines are chal-lenged by chalky limestone soils and afternoon blasts of cool marine air, and a diurnal temperature swing of 40-50 degrees.
Long a benchmark for "Paso Cabs", Viking Vineyard's mountain fruit has the racy vibrancy of blue and red berries and the savory, structured tannins of its characteristic small berries. The wine walks the fashion runway of flavors, from red currants to black raspberries, from cedar-wood to graphite minerality, finishing energetically with notes of mocha and vanilla spice.
- Item #: i_200510Bottle Size: 750mlII is the culmination of the two worlds, the Alpha and the Omega, the Old World and the New World. Winemakers, Jean Hoefliger and Michel Rolland worked to create a wine that is not only opulent, fruit forward and generous, but also has the backbone of European acidity and elegance. A reflection of both worlds, II is a wine that is built to be approachable, both in taste and price, and consumed early.
A blend of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23% Merlot, and 12% Cabernet Franc, this wine had a deep, dark Cornell red color with some geranium and garnet on the rim. The nose expresses a beautiful balance between spices, such as cinnamon and thyme, and fruit, such as cherries and raspberries, with tobacco leaf, cedar, caramel and hibiscus. The palate possesses integrated tannins with beautiful chocolate notes and pipe tobacco with strawberry jam, cantaloupe and lilac.
- Item #: i_211280Bottle Size: 750mlEach year, Ancient Peaks crafts the limited-edition Oyster Ridge cuvee to exemplify their finest winemaking efforts. The name Oyster Ridge honors an outcropping that always astonishes visitors to their estate Margarita Vineyard. Here, large white oyster fossils are literally spilling out of the ground, fostering the type of calcium-rich soil that is coveted by winemakers worldwide. The 2016 vintage is a blend of 51% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 9% Petit Verdot, 4% Cabernet Franc, and 4% Malbec, all from meticulously farmed vineyard blocks cultivated for the Oyster Ridge program.
The 2016 Oyster Ridge offers a sumptuous bouquet of black berry and black currant with notes of creme de cassis, violets, vanilla bean, cedar and graphite. On the palate, the wine is exquisitely dense and integrated, showing chewy layers of black fruits interwoven with accents of caramel, mint, cinnamon spice and new oak. Fine-grained tannins and sleek acidity bring a resounding conclusion to what is nothing less than a blockbuster vintage for Oyster Ridge. This is a wine that will generously evolve in the bottle for years to come.
2016 Oyster Ridge
93 Points - Wine Enthusiast
93 Points - Tasting Panel
92 Points - Vinous
- Item #: i_201500Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon (Knights Valley) is very pretty. Bright, punchy and full of life, the 2016 has too much to offer. A rush of red berry fruit, flowers, savory herbs and crushed rocks runs through this super-expressive, delineated Cabernet Sauvignon. This is a gorgeous Knights Valley Cabernet. The mid-weight, energetic style is quite appealing."
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "Similarly colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley is a bigger, richer wine loaded with notions of chocolatey dark fruits, notes of loamy earth and cedar, medium to full body, and a charming, delicious, mouthfilling style. It's another outstanding wine from this team that has loads to love."
- Item #: i_210600Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the 2016 Pinot Noir The Coast is drinking beautifully today and offers a complex bouquet of mint laced black cherries, clove, and cinnamon as well as some classic California conifer tree notes. Medium to full-bodied, with outstanding purity of fruit and great balance, drink it over the coming 7-8 years or so."
- Item #: i_204410Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97+Jeb Dunnuck: 100 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "Moving to the single vineyard releases, the 2016 Melbury is pure perfection in a glass and is the finest vintage of this cuvee I've tasted. Awesome notes of cassis, blackcurrants, toasted bread, white flowers, and spice give way to an ethereal, seamless, yet opulent wine that has that rare mix of power and elegance possessed by all truly great wines. Full-bodied, concentrated, and with building yet perfectly ripe tannins, do your best to give bottles 4-5 years of bottle age. It will evolve effortlessly for 30 years or more."
ANTONIO GALLONI 98 POINTS - "The 2016 Melbury is powerful and yet medium in body, with layers of exotic spice, dark red cherry, blood orange, leather, licorice and star anise that give it an exotic character I don't remember seeing in the past. Despite its mid-weight profile, the Melbury has plenty of supporting structure. Over the last year, the Melbury has gained a bit of weight, but remains quite focused. Sometimes the Melbury suffers by being the first vineyard-designate poured at Bond. Its remarkable allure is evident nonetheless. This is an impressive showing."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97+ POINTS - "Overlooking Lake Hennessy up on Pritchard Hill, Melbury vineyard has produced a beautifully elegant and vivacious signature in 2016, which clearly reveals the personality that this incredible site tends to want to give. Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Melbury comes bounding out of the glass with expressive black and red currants notes followed by wild blueberries, warm plums, pencil shavings and wild sage plus wafts of lavender and crushed rocks. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is practically electric with energetic fruit, framed by firm, grainy tannins and invigorating freshness, finishing long and minerally."
- Item #: i_204570Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99Jeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 99 POINTS - "Pluribus vineyard is situated on Spring Mountain, producing a sometimes broody wine in its youth with tons of latent power and energy waiting to erupt. Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Pluribus is a little closed and youthfully mute to begin, slowly unfurling to offer glimpses at baked plums, crushed blackcurrants, boysenberries and redcurrant jelly plus suggestions of charcoal, black olives, Sichuan pepper and bay leaves with a waft of pain grille. Full-bodied, it has a rock-solid frame of very firm, ripe, grainy tannins and bold freshness supporting the muscular black fruit and savory accents, finishing with phenomenal length and loads of earthy layers."
ANTONIO GALLONI 98 POINTS - "Another riveting wine in this range, the 2016 Pluribus is mysterious and elusive. Each taste reveals a new dimension to its beauty. Dark red fruit, spice, tobacco, menthol and licorice give the 2016 striking perfume that is captivating. Dark and dense, with tons of fruit richness, the 2016 builds in the glass with a crescendo of aromas and flavors that add considerable nuance. I especially admire the explosive energy here. As has been the case now for the last few years, the Pluribus is at once the most complex and fascinating wine in the range because every taste seems to bring out a new facet of its personality. Wines like the St. Eden and Vecina, on the other hand, say everything right away."
JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "Lastly, the 2016 Pluribus completes the lineup of just about pure perfection in Napa Valley Cabernet, and readers can't go wrong with any of these 2016 Bond releases. As with the Vecina, the Pluribus is a powerful, structured wine that offers pure blue fruits (cassis, blueberries), notes of smoke tobacco, spice, and liquid rock, a full-bodied, expansive, opulent mouthfeel, and flawless balance. Its purity of fruit as well as its power, married to include finesse, sets this beauty up near the top of the pyramid. Give bottles 7-8 years of bottle age and enjoy over the following 3 decades."
- Item #: i_208840Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+Jeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "Always a 'Wow' wine, the 2016 Quella doesn't disappoint, showing its classic, savory, mineral style as well as stunning notes of blueberries, plums, spice box, herbs de Provence, and melted licorice. This full-bodied, ripe, powerful wine has a wealth of tannins yet leans on its depth of fruit and opulence at the moment. It needs 7-8 years of bottle age, but it's a rock star Napa Valley Cabernet that will keep for 3 decades."
ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "The 2016 Quella is bright, focused and also one of the more tightly wound wines in this range today. Savory and aromatic, the Quella impresses for its precision and captivating beauty. Intensely savory and aromatic, the 2016 is a Cabernet built on energy and tension. Time in the glass brings out a range of licorice, sage, spice, tobacco and cedar overtones, but more than anything else, the Quella is a wine of completeness and harmony that has really come together well over the last year."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Quella slips seductively out of the glass with notes of warm black plums, blueberry preserves, licorice and creme de cassis with suggestions of wild sage, pencil lead, camphor and Marmite toast. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is like a tightly wound spring, featuring bags of black fruit and earthy nuances and a solid, grainy frame, finishing long and refreshing."
- Item #: i_208850Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 100 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "Another perfect wine in the lineup is the 2016 St. Eden, which comes from a hillside of red volcanic soils just outside of Oakville. As with the 2015, wine doesn't get any better, and this inky hued 2016 offers up a smorgasbord of creme de cassis, blackberries, crushed rocks, toasty oak, new leather, and tobacco. Deep, full-bodied, powerful yet also incredibly elegant, it offers pleasure even today yet will benefit from 4-6 years of bottle age and cruise for 30 years or more."
ANTONIO GALLONI 98 POINTS - "The 2016 St. Eden is a real powerhouse. In so many vintages St. Eden is a showy, voluptuous wine, but the 2016 is decidedly closed down. There is very clearly tremendous depth and intensity in the glass, along with a good bit of sensuality that starts to appear with a bit of air. The 2016 is vivid and classy, qualities that will become even more apparent over time. Today, though, the 2016 is mostly a wine of potential, and it has tons of that. Of all of the Bond 2016s, the St. Eden appears to be the most affected by bottling."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2016 St. Eden has a deep garnet-purple color and gives up vivacious notes of crushed blackberries, warm plums and cassis plus hints of dried leaves, forest floor, tapenade and truffles with a touch of unsmoked cigars. Medium to full-bodied, the palate features taut, muscular black and blue fruits, framed by firm, ripe tannins and just enough freshness, finishing long with loads of savory sparks."
- Item #: i_205880Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsBootleg Red is a new production by Jackson Family Wine Collection; these are the people who own and produce awesome estate wines like Freemark Abbey, La Jota, and StoneStreet just to name a few. Trust us; there are too many "household" names you would recognize for us to list them all but you now have an idea of the quality they bring to the table.
This offering is their entry to the California "Red" category, a section of the domestic wine industry that has seen tremendous growth with labels such as "The Prisoner" becoming brands that everyone who drinks California wine has heard of. In terms of sales this category is as hot as Cabernet Sauvignon! This particular wine is a blend of 37% Merlot, 33% Petit Sirah, and 30% Syrah.
So what sets this apart from other blends and why should you try it? Fruit sources; using Vineyards they own, the Jackson Family sourced grapes from prestigious sub-AVAs within Napa like Yountville, Howell Mountain, and Mt Veeder, with the balance of fruit (18%) coming from their Mendocino Vineyards. The blending components going into this Red comes from outstanding vineyards of whom we all love. Plain and simple, you have outstanding winegrowing, winemaking and wine-blending with Bootleg Red!
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS! "It reveals a healthy purple color as well as a terrific bouquet of sweet creme de cassis, toasted bread, Asian spices, lavender, and dried herbs. With a fabulous texture, full body, notable purity of fruit, and a rich yet graceful style on the palate, it's one seriously hedonistic yet balanced, complex red that knocks it out of the park. Drink this rocking little gem any time over the coming 4-6 years. (I wouldn't be surprised to see it keep longer.)"
- Item #: i_206430Bottle Size: 750mlSituated in the mountains above Conn Valley and near the base of Howell Mountain, the Buehler Estate vineyards are planted primarily to Cabernet Sauvignon. The juxtaposed topography of steeply sloped hillsides with eastern exposures against very gently sloping hills with southern and southwestern exposures hints at the tumultuous geologic past of the Estate; extensive faulting resulted in at least three distinct soil types. Not surprisingly, grapes grown on the different soils give different characteristics to the finished wines; these differences are often as great as the differences across various Bordeaux varieties and allow Buehler to blend within the variety of Cabernet Sauvignon to craft a truly multi-faceted Estate wine.
The aromas hint at black fruit: ripe black cherries and black plums. Enticing barrel qualities of cola and spice complement the fruit aromas. On the palate, the wine shows layers of deeply extracted flavors that only mature hillside vineyards can render. Buehler's Estate Cabernet is the most age-worthy wine they produce and may be enjoyed anytime over the next 15 years.
- Item #: i_203120Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Blended of 97% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Petit Verdot matured for 22 months in French oak, 90% new, this vintage has an alcohol level of 14.9%. Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve Georges de Latour is still incredibly youthful. Sporting notions of cedar and cinnamon toast to begin, the nose opens out to beautiful notes of warm cassis, crushed red and black plums and kirsch with floral hints of roses and candied violets. Sparks of crushed rocks and cast iron pan plus a touch of dried herbs emerge with coaxing. Full-bodied, rich, bold and energetic in the mouth, the palate reveals a very firm backbone of ripe, grainy tannins and seamless freshness, finishing very long with beautiful mineral accents. To be released in autumn 2019, 8,400 cases were made."
- Item #: i_208170Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98+ POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve (100% Cabernet Sauvignon) has a deep purple-black color, revealing youthfully reticent notions of black soil, cigar box, stewed tea and truffles with a core of creme de cassis, Black Forest cake, plum preserves and star anise plus wafts of underbrush and pencil lead. The bold, concentrated, full-bodied palate is a hedonist's dream, featuring bags of black fruit preserves and earthy accents and framed by very firm, super ripe tannins, finishing with epic length and depth."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Danielle Cyrot has done a tremendous job with Cade's 2016s. The wines from bottle are every bit as impressive as they were from barrel. In 2016, Cyrot also bottled a small cuvee of about 150 cases exclusively from the old Ladera site that is well worth seeking out. As always, the Cade wines are done in a rich, flamboyant style for Howell Mountain."
"Totally seamless and opulent, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve shows the flamboyant side of Howell Mountain to great effect. Dark cherry, plum, bittersweet chocolate, cocoa, grilled herbs and leather all run through this sumptuous, full-bodied Cabernet Sauvignon. Touches of Petit Verdot and Malbec round out the blend."
- Item #: i_206890Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "Just about as close to perfection as a wine can get, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon from winemaker Chris Carpenter comes mostly from mountain vineyards and is 89% Cabernet Sauvignon and 11% Merlot. This full-bodied, rounded, thrillingly textured beauty boasts a saturated purple color as well as a huge nose of creme de cassis, new saddle leather, barbecue smoke, and scorched earth. It has perfect integration of its fruit, tannins, acidity, and oak, carries remarkable power and intensity, yet still glides over the palate with no heaviness or sensation of weight. It's going to be a legendary Napa Valley Cabernet and will have 3 decades or more of longevity."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The deep garnet-purple colored 2016 Proprietary Red Wine is blended of 89% Cabernet Sauvignon and 11% Merlot. It opens with compelling chocolate box and licorice scents over a core of black and red currants, warm plums and baking spices with hints of cedar chest and pencil lead. The palate is full-bodied with layers of cassis and kirsch flavors framed by firm, grainy tannins and fabulous freshness, finishing long and spicy. 4,772 cases produced."
- Item #: i_208730Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsDuring his annual winter trip to the Napa Valley, our domestic buyer was tasting wines atop Howell Mountain. If you know anything about the layout of the Napa Valley, Howell Mountain is an area where many of the best wines are made, including Lail, O'Shaughnessy, Lokoya, La Jota, Arkenstone, Dunn, Cimarossa...you get the point. But to make another point, there was a new label showing their wine. Now, this happens every year, but this wine...stood out. Proprietors Dave and Kathleen Decesaris have a pretty long history in the wine industry. We's like to think that they "honed in" their Napa Valley know-how while shopping at our store, but it's really all Kathleen's background. See, she was a wine educator at Freemark Abbey in the 1990's, which gave her easy access to the regions very best growers, vintners, and winemakers. As for Dave, during an impromptu day trip to Napa Valley, Dave followed the advice he came across in a randomly purchased guidebook and visited Freemark Abbey Winery. It was there that he met his soon to be wife and partner, Kathleen, who introduced him to the basics of viticulture and the concept of vineyard-designated wines. This introduction to the importance of site and mesoclimate ignited his passion to produce single vineyard, single varietal Napa Valley cabernets.
Their Howell Mountain vineyard, surrounding forest and rugged mountain scenery is reminiscentof the continuous interaction between the unique natural elements of the site and the vines. Rocky soils combined with warm days and cool night privide an ideal microclimate for Cabernet Sauvignon. Sustainably farmed by highly acclaimed viticulturist Jim Barbour (who has also farmed the properties at Hundred Acre, Kelly Fleming, and Au Sommet), the rocky, volcanic soils, excellent drainage and long growing season of this west facing Howell Montain AVA site combine to produce complex fruit featuring ripe yet age-worthy tannins, crisp acidity and alluring mountain cabernet flavors.
Celia Welch is one of North America's most significant winemakers and believes wine should speak to the unique qualities and characteristics of the vineyard. Her exceptionally talented hand has crafted some of the most notable Cabernet Sauvignons to come out of the Napa Valley, including Scarecrow, Staglin, Lindstrom, and her own Corra label
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "This is my first time tasting this new project high up on Howell Mountain with winemaker Celia Welch and WOW—what an impressive start! I asked Celia how she managed to produce a wine of such crunchiness, freshness and purity in 2017. 'It probably barely got above 90 degrees during the Labor Day heat wave up there,' she said with a smile. The longer, cooler growing season certainly shows in the finesse of these beauties. A vineyard to watch!"
"Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon has a slightly broody nose to begin, offering glimpses at damp earth, charcoal and underbrush scents over a core of warm cassis, blackberry pie and black raspberries with touches of pencil lead and dried Provence herbs. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has bold freshness and a myriad of earthy sparks, framed by ripe grainy tannins, finishing long with tons of bright, crunchy black fruit. 250 cases were made."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Showing similar to last year, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain is a terrific wine offering full-bodied aromas and flavors of crème de cassis, tobacco leaf, incense, and gravelly minerality. Pure, balanced, and elegant, it's a terrific wine that will keep for two decades."
- Item #: i_206940Bottle Size: 750mlCerro is the project from Derek Beitler, a young and talented winemaker (Bodega Rancho, Carne Humana, Skyhook), who has learned a lot about making wine from his cousin Joey Wagner of Caymus and Belle Glos, and his brother, Kurt, of Boheme.
A blend of 45% Petit Verdot, 45% Petite Sirah, and 10% Zinfandel, this opaque purplish-black colored wine has a fragrant nose of black fruits, and is very floral. The mouthfeel is rich and smooth, with soft tannins. Flavors of plums, blackberries, dark cherries and espresso.
- Item #: i_210200Bottle Size: 750mlChalk Hill's Estate is a compendium of unique microclimates, exposures and soil types. They are fortunate to be able to make everything from aromatic Sauvignon Blanc to big, bold Syrah. Nowhere is this ideal situation more evident than in their Estate Red, which is just that - the best blend of the red wines made from the estate. Each variety is perfectly matched to the vineyard site. The blend will also vary from year to year, as the vineyard yields and fruit quality depend greatly on the weather during springtime bloom and set, and during harvest. Cabernet and Malbec were the stars in 2016, and form the base of this Estate Red. Grapes grown on the rocky slopes of their Estate West vineyard make up the balance of the blend. This year, the final blend is comprised of 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Malbec, 9% Petit Verdot, and 7% Merlot.
Chalk Hill's 2016 Estate Red opens with bold and intense aromas of blackberry, anise, tobacco leaf and dark chocolate. The palate is rich and savory, with layered flavors of black cherry, dark chocolate and leather with oak influences of vanilla and toast. Though firm, the tannins are rounded by a balanced acidity and a long and smooth finish. Though appealing in its youth, this wine will also age beautifully over the next 15 years.
- Item #: i_276060Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "Bright fruit, spice and texture come from the high elevations of Lake County and dark fruits, old-world characters and dried herbs come from the low elevations of Napa County. The merriment of the two create tobacco, cherry, and cassis aromas. On the palate, we get dried fruits, old world spice, integrated oak, notes of cedar and a lingering finish."
- Item #: i_214700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99+Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 99+ POINTS - "A blend of 86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Cabernet Franc, 6% Merlot and 2% Petit Verdot, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Poetry needs a little coaxing to begin to unfurl the tightly wound yet exciting scents of blackcurrant cordial, blackberry preserves, warm redcurrants and kirsch plus fragrant nuances of candied violets, underbrush, cigar boxes, menthol and star anise. Full-bodied and built like a brick house in the mouth, the palate features an almost impenetrable structure of super ripe tannins framing the taut, muscular fruit, finishing long. This beauty needs at least 5-6 years to begin to blossom, after which it may well warrant a perfect score."
JEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "Similarly colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Poetry comes from shallow, volcanic soils in the Stags Leap AVA and is a blend of 86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Cabernet Franc, 6% Merlot, and 2% Petit Verdot. It offers killer notes of creme de cassis, black raspberries, toasted spices, vanilla, and exotic flowers. These carry to a profound, incredibly intense, layered wine that has no hard edges, perfect balance, building tannins, and a great, great finish. This is another magical wine from this team that ranks with some of the finest wines ever made from this valley. As with most 2016s, it has some upfront charm and accessibility, yet will be at its best with 4-6 years of bottle age and will keep for 3-4 decades."
- Item #: i_214930Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - ""The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Stags Leap District is a blend of 79% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot, 8% Petit Verdot and 2% Cabernet Franc. Deep garnet-purple colored, it gives up notes of fresh blackcurrants, warm plums, unsmoked cigars and tilled soil with wafts of kirsch, sandalwood and dusty soil. Full-bodied and richly fruited in the mouth, it has a firm backbone of grainy tannins and a long earthy finish."
- Item #: i_212030Bottle Size: 750MLOnce in the glass, the Clos Pegase Estate Cabernet Sauvignon reflects an opaque dark purple core. As the aromatics waft towards the nose, they deliver generous layers of cassis, antique wood, cigar box and black currant. On the palate, brooding dark fruits give way to briar, black currant and forest floor. More subtle notes of graphite, wet clay and seasoned leather, transition across the palate. The tannins are nicely balanced by the lush fruits which are in-turn kept fresh by the crisp acidity. This Cabernet Sauvignon continues to evolve on the palate showing depth and complexity with a lengthy finish.