- Item #: i_200100Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker Chris Phelps grew up in the hills of the Livermore Valley, east of San Francisco, in a family of wine lovers. His early interest in winemaking grew out of his parents' practice of making a barrel or two of Zinfandel or Cabernet for family and friends. Chris attended UC Davis with the sensible plan of becoming a doctor. However, his love of wine and France pulled him into the school's Enology and Viticulture program, an internship at Louis M. Martini in Napa Valley, and the world of professional winemaking.
From there, Chris then embarked on a 16-month sojourn in Bordeaux, where he met Christian Moueix, who persuaded him to stay on to manage the 1982 harvest at Château des Laurets, in the Puisseguin-St. Emilion district of Bordeaux. It was during this trial-by-fire experience that Chris met his mentor, the brilliant Jean-Claude Berrouet, who served for 44 years as the winemaker of Chateau Petrus. To this day, Chris still credits much of his inspiration as a winemaker and his solid understanding of the technical challenges of the winemaking craft to Berrouet's tutelage. Upon returning to Napa Valley, Chris spent twelve years as winemaker at Dominus, as part of the Berrouet-Moueix team. He considers the 1991 and 1994 vintages to be among the greatest wines he has helped to create. He then spent seven years at Caymus Vineyards, managing all red winemaking from 1999 through 2002.
Ad Vivum (Latin for "toward wine") Cabernet Sauvignon is made from one small micro-block of vines at Sleeping Lady Vineyard, in Yountville, Napa Valley. The vines are located at the vineyard's uppermost western perimeter along the Mayacamas Mountains. Row orientation is southwestnortheast. The vineyard is sustainably and meticulously farmed by the Bettinelli family. The soil profile shows Keefers dark gravelly-sandy clay loam of alluvial origin.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Sleeping Lady Vineyard is pliant, succulent and super-inviting. Dark cherry, plum, lavender and sweet spice notes are all given an extra kick of plushness in a gracious, silky Cabernet that captures the essence of Sleeping Lady. The purity of the fruit alone is striking. Perfumed, suave and wonderfully detailed, the 2016 is exquisitely beautiful. When I think of reference-point wines from Sleeping Lady, Chris Phelps' Cabernet is very often on top of my mind."
- Item #: i_200450Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "A blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23% Syrah, 22% Merlot and 5% Petite Sirah, the 2016 Apex Sonoma County Red Wine sports a deep garnet-purple color and a provocative nose of baked blackcurrants, Black Forest cake, tar and chargrill with hints of bay leaves, truffles and tapenade. Full-bodied, rich and decadently fruited in the mouth, it packs in the black fruit and savory layers with a firm yet plush texture and great length."
- Item #: i_200340Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Located in an ancient volcanic zone in the Sonoma County, Knights Valley (pictured above) offers incredibly unique and diverse soils with a climate perfectly suited to Bordeaux varietals, as demonstrated by the delicious wines made by Peter Michael, Keplinger and Beringer. Anakota is one of Knights Valley's stars that produces wines that personify the rustic elegance and spirit of this volcanic area. With Mount St. Helena looking down upon the vineyard, prevailing westerly winds pass over a large, cold pond and blow uphill, parallel to the rows of vines. These cooling breezes slow down the ripening of the grapes and result in wines that are packed with elegance, complexity and finesse. The wines are crafted by Pierre Seillan, whose deft hand has also created 100 point wines at Verite!
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Helena Montana Vineyard (100% Cabernet Sauvignon) comes from a vineyard that contains more volcanic rock. Deep purple-black in color, it reveals slightly tarry notes to begin, soon opening out to beautiful black cherry, black berry and warm cassis scents with hints of cigar box, charcuterie, licorice and Indian spices. The palate is medium to full-bodied, with a rock-solid frame of grainy tannins and wonderful freshness supporting the densely packed earth layers, finishing very long and savory. This needs time! 920 cases produced."
- Item #: i_211280Bottle Size: 750mlEach year, Ancient Peaks crafts the limited-edition Oyster Ridge cuvee to exemplify their finest winemaking efforts. The name Oyster Ridge honors an outcropping that always astonishes visitors to their estate Margarita Vineyard. Here, large white oyster fossils are literally spilling out of the ground, fostering the type of calcium-rich soil that is coveted by winemakers worldwide. The 2016 vintage is a blend of 51% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 9% Petit Verdot, 4% Cabernet Franc, and 4% Malbec, all from meticulously farmed vineyard blocks cultivated for the Oyster Ridge program.
The 2016 Oyster Ridge offers a sumptuous bouquet of black berry and black currant with notes of creme de cassis, violets, vanilla bean, cedar and graphite. On the palate, the wine is exquisitely dense and integrated, showing chewy layers of black fruits interwoven with accents of caramel, mint, cinnamon spice and new oak. Fine-grained tannins and sleek acidity bring a resounding conclusion to what is nothing less than a blockbuster vintage for Oyster Ridge. This is a wine that will generously evolve in the bottle for years to come.
- Item #: i_200220Bottle Size: 750mlNestled high upon Atlas Peak, in the eastern mountains of the Napa Valley lies a majestic property, owned by one of the "royal families" of winemaking; this property is Antica. The name Antica is a combination of the last name Antinori and California, and represents the Antinori family's longstanding desire to craft exceptional estate wines that are a true expression of Napa Valley terroir.
The Antinori family's winemaking history has been synonymous with the famed wine growing regions of Tuscany and Umbria since its inception more than 600 years ago. The Antinori think beyond a single vintage, and instead, think long term when making decisions that will impact the finished wines. Marchese Piero Antinori first visited and fell in love with Napa Valley in 1966, after which he dreamt of producing an Antinori Napa Valley wine. In the mid-1980s, the opportunity presented itself; a 1,200-acre estate on a high plain, in the eastern mountains of Napa Valley. Antinori knew that the property's Atlas Peak location had great potential for growing quality wine grapes, so the family took part in developing the property.
Situated above the fog line, the Antica estate offers a mix of steep, rocky soils in its higher elevations and loamy, well-drained soils in the lower ones. There are more than 50 blocks within the estate, a true patchwork quilt that takes advantage of the variations in soil, elevation, and exposure to best match varietal, rootstock, and clone to attain the ideal expression of Cabernet Sauvignon. The high altitude (1,800 feet) means cooler daytime temperatures, which provides a long growing season, and gives the grapes complexity, enhanced textures, and dark colors. The steep, rocky and well-drained soils result into low yields (three pounds) per vine, but the fully ripened grapes show great structure with concentrated fruit, and focused and persistent flavors. Tannins are ripe, balanced, and integrated.
ANTONIO GALLINI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Mountain Select offers terrific freshness and vibrancy, all in the mid-weight style of the year. Succulent dark cherry, spice, lavender, mint and hard candy are finely drawn in this very pretty, gracious Cabernet Sauvignon. I would prefer to drink it over the next decade or so. The superiority of 2016 next to 2015 is evident here."
- Item #: i_205880Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsBootleg Red is a new production by Jackson Family Wine Collection; these are the people who own and produce awesome estate wines like Freemark Abbey, La Jota, and StoneStreet just to name a few. Trust us; there are too many "household" names you would recognize for us to list them all but you now have an idea of the quality they bring to the table.
This offering is their entry to the California "Red" category, a section of the domestic wine industry that has seen tremendous growth with labels such as "The Prisoner" becoming brands that everyone who drinks California wine has heard of. In terms of sales this category is as hot as Cabernet Sauvignon! This particular wine is a blend of 37% Merlot, 33% Petit Sirah, and 30% Syrah.
So what sets this apart from other blends and why should you try it? Fruit sources; using Vineyards they own, the Jackson Family sourced grapes from prestigious sub-AVAs within Napa like Yountville, Howell Mountain, and Mt Veeder, with the balance of fruit (18%) coming from their Mendocino Vineyards. The blending components going into this Red comes from outstanding vineyards of whom we all love. Plain and simple, you have outstanding winegrowing, winemaking and wine-blending with Bootleg Red!
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS! "It reveals a healthy purple color as well as a terrific bouquet of sweet creme de cassis, toasted bread, Asian spices, lavender, and dried herbs. With a fabulous texture, full body, notable purity of fruit, and a rich yet graceful style on the palate, it's one seriously hedonistic yet balanced, complex red that knocks it out of the park. Drink this rocking little gem any time over the coming 4-6 years. (I wouldn't be surprised to see it keep longer.)"
- Item #: i_206430Bottle Size: 750mlSituated in the mountains above Conn Valley and near the base of Howell Mountain, the Buehler Estate vineyards are planted primarily to Cabernet Sauvignon. The juxtaposed topography of steeply sloped hillsides with eastern exposures against very gently sloping hills with southern and southwestern exposures hints at the tumultuous geologic past of the Estate; extensive faulting resulted in at least three distinct soil types. Not surprisingly, grapes grown on the different soils give different characteristics to the finished wines; these differences are often as great as the differences across various Bordeaux varieties and allow Buehler to blend within the variety of Cabernet Sauvignon to craft a truly multi-faceted Estate wine.
The aromas hint at black fruit: ripe black cherries and black plums. Enticing barrel qualities of cola and spice complement the fruit aromas. On the palate, the wine shows layers of deeply extracted flavors that only mature hillside vineyards can render. Buehler's Estate Cabernet is the most age-worthy wine they produce and may be enjoyed anytime over the next 15 years.
- Item #: i_206890Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "Just about as close to perfection as a wine can get, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon from winemaker Chris Carpenter comes mostly from mountain vineyards and is 89% Cabernet Sauvignon and 11% Merlot. This full-bodied, rounded, thrillingly textured beauty boasts a saturated purple color as well as a huge nose of creme de cassis, new saddle leather, barbecue smoke, and scorched earth. It has perfect integration of its fruit, tannins, acidity, and oak, carries remarkable power and intensity, yet still glides over the palate with no heaviness or sensation of weight. It's going to be a legendary Napa Valley Cabernet and will have 3 decades or more of longevity."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The deep garnet-purple colored 2016 Proprietary Red Wine is blended of 89% Cabernet Sauvignon and 11% Merlot. It opens with compelling chocolate box and licorice scents over a core of black and red currants, warm plums and baking spices with hints of cedar chest and pencil lead. The palate is full-bodied with layers of cassis and kirsch flavors framed by firm, grainy tannins and fabulous freshness, finishing long and spicy. 4,772 cases produced."
- Item #: i_206940Bottle Size: 750mlCerro is the project from Derek Beitler, a young and talented winemaker (Bodega Rancho, Carne Humana, Skyhook), who has learned a lot about making wine from his cousin Joey Wagner of Caymus and Belle Glos, and his brother, Kurt, of Boheme.
A blend of 45% Petit Verdot, 45% Petite Sirah, and 10% Zinfandel, this opaque purplish-black colored wine has a fragrant nose of black fruits, and is very floral. The mouthfeel is rich and smooth, with soft tannins. Flavors of plums, blackberries, dark cherries and espresso.
- Item #: i_210200Bottle Size: 750mlChalk Hill's Estate is a compendium of unique microclimates, exposures and soil types. They are fortunate to be able to make everything from aromatic Sauvignon Blanc to big, bold Syrah. Nowhere is this ideal situation more evident than in their Estate Red, which is just that - the best blend of the red wines made from the estate. Each variety is perfectly matched to the vineyard site. The blend will also vary from year to year, as the vineyard yields and fruit quality depend greatly on the weather during springtime bloom and set, and during harvest. Cabernet and Malbec were the stars in 2016, and form the base of this Estate Red. Grapes grown on the rocky slopes of their Estate West vineyard make up the balance of the blend. This year, the final blend is comprised of 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Malbec, 9% Petit Verdot, and 7% Merlot.
Chalk Hill's 2016 Estate Red opens with bold and intense aromas of blackberry, anise, tobacco leaf and dark chocolate. The palate is rich and savory, with layered flavors of black cherry, dark chocolate and leather with oak influences of vanilla and toast. Though firm, the tannins are rounded by a balanced acidity and a long and smooth finish. Though appealing in its youth, this wine will also age beautifully over the next 15 years.
- Item #: i_276060Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "Bright fruit, spice and texture come from the high elevations of Lake County and dark fruits, old-world characters and dried herbs come from the low elevations of Napa County. The merriment of the two create tobacco, cherry, and cassis aromas. On the palate, we get dried fruits, old world spice, integrated oak, notes of cedar and a lingering finish."
- Item #: i_214700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99+Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 99+ POINTS - "A blend of 86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Cabernet Franc, 6% Merlot and 2% Petit Verdot, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Poetry needs a little coaxing to begin to unfurl the tightly wound yet exciting scents of blackcurrant cordial, blackberry preserves, warm redcurrants and kirsch plus fragrant nuances of candied violets, underbrush, cigar boxes, menthol and star anise. Full-bodied and built like a brick house in the mouth, the palate features an almost impenetrable structure of super ripe tannins framing the taut, muscular fruit, finishing long. This beauty needs at least 5-6 years to begin to blossom, after which it may well warrant a perfect score."
JEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "Similarly colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Poetry comes from shallow, volcanic soils in the Stags Leap AVA and is a blend of 86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Cabernet Franc, 6% Merlot, and 2% Petit Verdot. It offers killer notes of creme de cassis, black raspberries, toasted spices, vanilla, and exotic flowers. These carry to a profound, incredibly intense, layered wine that has no hard edges, perfect balance, building tannins, and a great, great finish. This is another magical wine from this team that ranks with some of the finest wines ever made from this valley. As with most 2016s, it has some upfront charm and accessibility, yet will be at its best with 4-6 years of bottle age and will keep for 3-4 decades."
- Item #: i_214930Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - ""The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Stags Leap District is a blend of 79% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot, 8% Petit Verdot and 2% Cabernet Franc. Deep garnet-purple colored, it gives up notes of fresh blackcurrants, warm plums, unsmoked cigars and tilled soil with wafts of kirsch, sandalwood and dusty soil. Full-bodied and richly fruited in the mouth, it has a firm backbone of grainy tannins and a long earthy finish."
- Item #: i_212030Bottle Size: 750MLOnce in the glass, the Clos Pegase Estate Cabernet Sauvignon reflects an opaque dark purple core. As the aromatics waft towards the nose, they deliver generous layers of cassis, antique wood, cigar box and black currant. On the palate, brooding dark fruits give way to briar, black currant and forest floor. More subtle notes of graphite, wet clay and seasoned leather, transition across the palate. The tannins are nicely balanced by the lush fruits which are in-turn kept fresh by the crisp acidity. This Cabernet Sauvignon continues to evolve on the palate showing depth and complexity with a lengthy finish.
- Item #: i_212610Bottle Size: 750MLFor more than 40 years, Conn Creek Winery has focused on Cabernet Sauvignon. In search of the best Cabernet Sauvignon, they've discovered many exceptional single-vineyard sites throughout Napa Valley. Today, Conn Creek sources fruit from those prized vineyards in nearly all of Napa Valley's diverse sub-appellations, such as St. Helena, Yountville, Oakville, Calistoga, Mt. Veeder, and Howell Mountain, to provide winemaker Mike McGrath with an unparalleled palette from which to blend each wine. It's an approach that captures the "Best of Napa Valley."
Concentrated cranberry and raspberry notes with underlying cigar box notes. Mouthfeel consists of broad, full tannins with a touch of black pepper on the finish.
- Item #: i_213010Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99Continuum celebrates the ongoing legacy of the Mondavi family's proud history in Napa Valley. It represents a new beginning, and reaffirms their longstanding commitment to winemaking excellence. At the helm is Tim Mondavi who led the winemaking team at Robert Mondavi Winery for 30 years. He is joined in guiding the vision and direction by his sister Marcia, his children Dante, Carlo and Carissa Mondavi. Carissa, Dante, and Carlo are the fourth generation to join the winery. Carlo and Dante have since shifted focus to their own project called Raen which we highly urge you to check out as well.
The wine comes from the family's vineyard atop the Vaca Mountains that run along the eastern side the Napa Valley. This mountainous region is home to other illustrious wineries such as David Arthur, Ovid, Bryant, Chappellet, and Gandona. This year's blend is 46% Cabernet Sauvignon, 31% Cabernet Franc, 18% Petit Verdot, and 5% Merlot. The wine was bottled with fining or filtering, to preserve much of the complexity of the wine.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 99 POINTS - "The 2016 Proprietary Red is blended of 46% Cabernet Sauvignon, 31% Cabernet Franc, 18% Petit Verdot and 5% Merlot. Deep garnet-purple colored, it emits an incredible array of seductive floral notes—violets, lavender and rose hip tea—with a core of warm cassis, redcurrant jelly, dark chocolate, cigar box, tapenade and crushed rocks plus hints of bay leaves, beef drippings and yeast extract. Medium to full-bodied, the palate explodes with vivacious black fruit sparked by red fruit, herbal and mineral accents. It is framed with a rock-solid line of firm, grainy, super ripe tannins and finishes with fantastic fragrance and freshness. Wow!"
- Item #: i_213940Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Paul Hobbs is a juggernaut in the wine world. It doesn't seem to matter where he makes wine, or with what grape; anything he makes is simply fantastic! Paul's Crossbarn lineup of wines is the second label to his eponymous Paul Hobbs wines from Napa and Sonoma, yet it comes close to its "bigger brother"! Produced using hand-harvested fruit from carefully selected vineyards in prime areas in the Napa Valley, CrossBarn Cabernet Sauvignon offers structure and weight in balance with pure concentrated fruit.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley features vibrant notions of crushed wild blueberries, black cherries and cassis with touches of cigar box, black tea and wild sage. Medium to full-bodied with a full frame of ripe, grainy tannins, it has seamless freshness laced through the energetic fruit, finishing long and juicy. 11,202 cases produced."
- Item #: i_200470Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsThe David Arthur Estate is located high on Pritchard Hill, on the eastern side of the Napa Valley. The rough mountain terrain and rocky red soils provide ideal growing conditions for wine grapes such as Cabernet Sauvignon. In 1978, Donald Long and his 28 year old son David began the epic job of building roads, clearing land and finally planting wine grapes. Although David lacked a formal viticultural education, he learned hands-on by working in the vineyards and cellars of local wineries such as the Chappellet and Joseph Phelps. The first vintage of Chardonnay was harvested in 1985, followed by Cabernet Sauvignon in the nineties. A s his experience and knowledge of the land grew, David learned the ability of these hills to grow the very finest wine grapes. Today, with the help of a highly insightful team, David Arthur continues to cultivate rich concentrated wine grapes that in turn help them craft distinctive and memorable wines.
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Three Acre (there's a small amount of Petit Verdot in the blend) is a beautiful, refined example of Pritchard Hill Cabernet. Deep ruby-colored, with a mountain hillside-like bouquet of wild scrub brush, crushed rocks, tobacco, dried herbs and both blue and black fruits, it glides over the palate with medium to full-bodied richness, ultra-fine tannins, beautifully integrated acidity, and solid length. It's very much in the style of the 1147 release, but slightly less concentrated and majestic. Elegant, silky, and seamless, yet still with ample power, it's a brilliant 2016 geared for those that love the old-school, classic style of Napa Valley. It will keep for 2+ decades."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Composed of 96% Cabernet Sauvignon and 4% Petit Verdot, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Three Acre has a deep garnet-purple color and is beautifully perfumed of candied violets, Ceylong tea, underbrush and cigar box scents with a core of blackcurrant cordial, redcurrant jelly and black raspberries. Medium to full-bodied, elegantly styled and very polished on the palate, it has an exquisitely fine-grained texture and long harmonious finish."
- Item #: i_216030Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 94 POINTS - "General Manager David Millman, who has been with DDO since 2004, told me that 2016 was a vintage that played handily into the winery’s style, a harvest that gave 'wines that show a lot of fresh fruit upfront but that have the structure to age and gain complexity for a decade or more.' Indeed, the DDO wines are among Willamette Valley's most ageworthy Pinots. They are made by Veronique Drouhin and Aaron Bell who has been here since 2002 and has served as assistant winemaker since 2009."
"Deep, glistening red. Vibrant black raspberry, cherry liqueur and rose oil scents, along with hints of dusty minerals, mocha and baking spices. Juicy, seamless and energetic on the palate, offering appealingly sweet dark berry and floral pastille flavors that fan out steadily and turn spicier with air. Smooth, even tannins lend shape to the impressively persistent finish, which shows strong, floral- and spice-driven tenacity."
- Item #: i_216320Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Mount Eden has a long and glorious history. Originally planted by a man named Martin Ray, many of the original Mount Eden Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays are some of the best renditions California has ever produced! Flash-forward to the present, and the wines are just as good as they always were. In addition to their estate wines, they produce a second wine called Domaine Eden. Sourced from well-maintained vineyards not far from their estate, Mount Eden utilizes the same exacting methods for their estate wines: natural indigenous fermentations - both primary and secondary, French barrels, no fining, filtration or any other manipulation.
The Domaine Eden Cabernet program is a combination of Bordeaux varieties, mainly Cabernet Sauvignon from Mount Eden, Domaine Eden and three exquisite sites in Saratoga and Los Gatos. It is a true Bordeaux blend encompassing the top five Bordeaux grapes varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot with small additions of Petit Verdot and Malbec.
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "'It's very unusual for us to release this so early,' Jeffrey Patterson explains. 'We are releasing it sooner than usual because it's a great value for wine lists, sort of our mid-appellation wine.' This vintage, the blend is 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc, 4% Petite Verdot and 1% Malbec. Medium to deep ruby, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon has a very minerally nose of crushed stone, dusty earth, warm red cherries, woodsmoke and savory/herbal hints with notions of charcuterie, warm blackberries, cherries and bitter chocolate. Medium-bodied, it offers great intensity in the mouth with finely grained, ripe tannins and great freshness, finishing long and layered. 2,699 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon is soft, pliant and fruity, with lovely aromatic nuances that add an attractive upper register to the red cherry and plum fruit. Sweet floral overtones develop with a bit of time in the glass. The 2016 offers tons of fleshiness in the understated, gracious style of the year here. Best of all, it will drink well upon release."
- Item #: i_216150Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 100Jeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsFinally...the much-anticipated 2016 Dominus Estate is here! One of Napa Valley's most revered Cabernet-blends is back, and will sell out quickly just like every year prior! One of the most respected wine producers in the world, Christian Moueix is on a personal quest for perfection in grape growing and winemaking. It is a journey that began in Bordeaux and continues today at Dominus Estate, where he has instilled his philosophy and inspired his team to share his values. To walk the vineyard with Christian is to witness a commitment to the land, a strong sense of purpose, and the modest soul of a man of the vines.
It is not uncommon for the Dominus Estate Cabernet-Blend to reach a near perfect score, and it has even garnered that perfect 100 point score a few times (2010, 2013, and 2015). However, this release stands on its own. Critic Lisa Perrotti-Brown (who reviews the Napa wines for Robert Parker's Wine Advocate) has even stated, "If I could give more than 100 for this one, I would." Lisa has become one of the more respected critics in the wine world, so for her to make that statement truly says something about the wine!
In the late 1960s, while attending the University of California at Davis, Christian Moueix fell in love with the Napa Valley and its wine. Son of Jean-Pierre Moueix, the famed wine merchant and producer from Libourne, France, Moueix returned home in 1970 to manage the family vineyards, including Chateaux Petrus. His love of Napa Valley lingered, and, in 1981, he discovered the historic Napanook Vineyard, a 124-acre site west of Yountville that had been the source of fruit for some of the finest Napa Valley wines of the 1940s and 1950s. In 1982, Moueix entered into a partnership to develop the vineyard, and in 1985, became its sole owner. He chose the name "Dominus" or "Lord of the Estate" in Latin to underscore his longstanding commitment to stewardship of the land.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "A blend of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Petit Verdot and 8% Cabernet Franc aged in 40% new oak, the 2016 Proprietary Red Wine is deep purple-black in color and quite reticent at this youthful stage to begin, offering up subtle notions of potpourri, Indian spices, cigar box and iron ore over a core of crushed blackberries and black cherries with intermittent wafts of black and red currants, new leather and smoked meats. The palate is medium to full-bodied with a densely packed mid-palate and oodles of freshness framed by very ripe, finely grained tannins and laced with compelling earthy accents. It offers incredible vibrancy with tons of black and red fruit sparkle in the mid-palate leading to a provocative mineral element on the very long finish. If I could give more than 100 for this one, I would. To be released in May 2019."
JEB DUNNUCK 98+ POINTS - "Another possible legend in the making is the 2016 Dominus, a classic blend of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Petit Verdot and the rest Cabernet Franc brought up in 40% new French oak. Pure, pristine notes of charcoal, cold fireplace, smoke tobacco, and both blue and black fruits all flow to a full-bodied 2016 that has incredible elegance and finesse, yet also depth and density. It's more backward and reserved than the 2015 and needs 4-5 years of cellaring. It will unquestionably live for 25-30 years."
- Item #: i_216360Bottle Size: 750mlMedium intensity with cranberry, raspberry, dark cherry, and slight toastiness from oak. Soft earthy tannins are balanced perfectly with vibrant acidity. The combination of European and American oak adds layers of spicy flavors.