- Item #: i_203400Bottle Size: 375mlWine Advocate: 100**Please note, this is a half sized bottleROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet-purple in color, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon charges from the gate with exuberant red and black cherries notes, black currants and mulberries with a beautiful roses and lavender perfume, plus hints of sandalwood and cinnamon stick. Full-bodied, concentrated and downright explosive in the mouth, it is still wearing loads of gorgeous puppy-fat fruit flavors, offering suggestions of the complex, multilayered blockbuster that it will emerge into. The structure deserves its own mention: wonderful, seamless freshness and oh-so-fine, pixelated tannins, with an extraordinary persistence of fruit and mineral nuances. Wow."
- Item #: i_229170Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "From a certified-organic site in Rutherford and 100% varietal, this wine has benefitted from time in the bottle, dazzling in soft silky red fruit and jolts of nutmeg and dust. Beautifully layered, structured and brightly vibrant, it has impressive coaxings of cigar, cedar and a rich hint of wild vanilla."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This throws off some seriously ripe and alluring fruit, with raspberry, blackberry and cherry coulis notes streaming through, framed tightly by a mouthwatering anise note and ending with a bolt of graphite. Impressive focus and drive throughout. Best from 2020 through 2035."
- Item #: i_230820Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine is a made exclusively from the UCD 7 clone of Cabernet Sauvignon grown in mineral ash and decomposed volcanic rock. The fruit was hand selected, clusters were sorted prior to destemming, and the berries were sorted after destemming to remove any imperfect fruit. This small lot underwent native fermentation in an open-top tank, managed with hand punch downs and a long extended maceration. The new wine was racked into carefully selected new French oak barrels and aged for twenty months before bottling unfined and unfiltered.
Deep blue-red in hue, the wines aroma's are of black raspberry, cherry, hibiscus, smoke, and spice. Focused and mineral, cherry and currant flavors saturate the palate and are joined by pencil-lead, sweet mint, and cedar. The wine finishes with fine-structured tannins, espresso and dark fruit. This full-bodied Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon should drink well for a decade or more, revealing more as it ages.
- Item #: i_235100Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 50% Petit Verdot, 30% Merlot, and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, this wine displays black fruit, fresh vanilla bean, tobacco leaf on the nose. Bright acidity that lifts the fresh fruit nuances on the palate, integrating well with the large yet ripe tannin profile. Good to drink now and will cellar well for the next 15-25 years.
- Item #: i_236770Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+ROBERT PARKER 94+ POINTS - "The 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon from their vineyard in St. Helena is a slightly richer, broader and more profoundly deep style of Cabernet Sauvignon than the 2012 with a nearly opaque ruby/purple color, with sweet black cherry and blackcurrant fruit in the intense and persistent aromatics. Full-bodied with the same alcohol as the 2012 (14.8%), the wine cuts a broad swath across the palate without any sense of heaviness. Pure and ripe but still youthful and relatively unevolved, this should be cellared for another 3-5 years and drink over the following two decades."
- Item #: i_211598Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - "The 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon is a relatively big, robust, rich Cabernet Sauvignon (15.2% alcohol) with a dense ruby/purple color, creamy, toasty oak. Loads of blueberry and blackberry fruit and an opaque purple color, this full-bodied wine is still young, but really savory, rich and bold. What it lacks in complexity it makes up in size and intensity. Drink it over the next 15 or so years."
- Item #: i_247780Bottle Size: 750mlCabernet Sauvignon is perfectly suited to the warm days and cool nights that Paso Robles offers from its diurnal shift - the range of temperatures can be over 45 degrees from coolest night to heat of day. The resultant wine - with power and finesse - exhibits blackberry and cherry accompanied by exotic spices. Fresh fruits and herbs are supported by a rich structure, warm spice, mocha, and structured oak. Although perfectly suited to current consumption, this wine will reward careful aging.
- Item #: i_250250Bottle Size: 750mlThe grapes for this wine come from the Elsberg Vineyard located on Howell Mountain. The vineyard is planted on an incline with the rows directed south-southwest giving the vineyard excellent morning and afternoon exposure and allowing for good drainage. The French style of planting was followed: planting in a more dense arrangement where the vines are closer together (4x4).
2013 was the best vintage ever for the Elsberg Vineyard, but production was barely half of normal yield. Bold and beautiful, this lush cabernet displays Howell Mountain's expressive layers of raspberries, cherries, chocolate and spice, along with robust minerality. Expressive aromas of berries and flowers introduce the concentrated flavors that continuously reveal themselves as this wine opens up. An impressive offering, and one of the great bargains in Napa cabernet. Nuances of flavors contributed by 30 months in 100% French oak barrels complement the fruit.
- Item #: i_287830Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 95ROBERT PARKER 96 POINTS - "I had the privilege to taste this new estate vineyard wine from Christian Moueix several months before the 2012 would be released. Moueix purchased the old Schmidt Ranch, which is just to the north of his iconic Napanook vineyard. The AVA is different, as he is on the southern border of the Oakville appellation. This is pure valley floor soil with great drainage, just to the south of Martha's Vineyard and the famous To Kalon of both Mondavi and Andy Beckstoffer. Several vintages have been made, but not yet released. The first official release is the 2012. This is a completely different style of wine than those produced at Dominus. While the property is much smaller (40 acres vs. the very large Napanook vineyard), a similar elevage is employed, with 40% to 50% new French oak, and bottling after the wine spends 20 months in wood. Moueix told me that the site, even though it is so close to Napanook, is warmer in the summer by several degrees and colder in the winter, Additionally, the soils are deeper. What Moueix has done is produce a wine that is in complete contrast to Dominus. The wines of Dominus are known for their silky complexity, and even though there is virtually no Merlot in any of the top vintages, they always have an almost Pomerol-like lushness and opulence. Ulysses, on the other hand, is a Napa version of a first or second growth Pauillac. The crème de cassis, the licorice, the purity and the graphite notes are present in all three of these vintages, just in varying degrees."
"The 2013 Ulysses is absolutely mind-boggling, as so many wines from this vintage are. Gorgeous blueberry and blackberry fruit, along with the telltale cassis and floral notes, jump from the glass. Again, this is Pauillac-like, with some cedar wood and subtle barrique smells. Again produced nearly all from Cabernet Sauvignon, the wine is full-bodied, powerful, rich and long, with slightly sweeter tannins than the 2012. Production in 2013 was 960 cases, and Moueix told me that the entire growing season averaged about two and half weeks ahead of schedule from bloom break to harvest. This is a prodigious effort and will certainly stand as the great Ulysses of the first trio to be released. I suspect it will be drinkable in 3-4 years and keep for 30 or more, given the Moueix track record."
ANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - "These are the first wines from Christian Moueix's property in Oakville. In 2008 Moueix bought the Schmidt Ranch, which lies on the southeastern edge of Oakville, next to Vine Hill Ranch and Missouri Hopper. From what I have gathered, the Schmidt Ranch was once considered part of the Missouri Hopper vineyard. More recently, the fruit had gone to Swanson. The Ulysses Cabernet Sauvignon is made at Dominus (there is no winery on the property) by Tod Mostero and the team at Dominus. The wines I have tasted so far reveal the distinctly ferrous, savory and tobacco notes that are typical of this sector of Napa Valley, with less of an emphasis on fruit. Compared to Dominus, Ulysses is a warmer site, so the tannins here tend to be a bit creamier than those at Dominus. These three wines certainly point to a very bright future."
"Gravel, smoke, graphite, savory herbs, tobacco and iron are some of the signatures in the 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon. A typical wine from the eastern sector of Oakville on the border with Yountville, the 2013 is loaded with feral, savory notes, while the expression of blue/blackish fruit lies a bit more in the background. In 2013, the main signature is an expression of structure that is both vertical but also incredibly insistent through to the finish. In other words, this is a super-classic 2013 built for the cellar."
- Item #: i_276150Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine is made from a 50/50 blend of Cabernet Sauvignon coming from both Gary Morisoli's Vineyard on Niebaum Lane, and his brother Mike's vineyard a stone's throw away. Mike and Gary are 3rd generation Napa Valley grape growers, beginning when the Morisoli Family planted grapes in western Rutherford in the early 1950s. The vineyards are located in the heart of the famous "Rutherford Bench", an area considered the "Rodeo Drive" of vineyards. Famous neighbors include vineyards for Scarecrow, Rubicon Estates, and Phelps' Manley Lane. In the Two x Two Morisoli Brothers Rutherford Dust-up Cabernet, the brothers set aside their friendly rivalry for growing the best grapes, and bring their fruit together in a first-time single effort. It is a tribute to their hard work and dedication to growing the finest grapes in the Napa Valley.
This is a first-ever Cabernet Sauvignon blend from the Morisoli brothers' famous vineyards in Rutherford. 2013 is considered by many as being the harvest of the decade for Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. This is the first PNV offering by V. Sattui, and the wine is aged in hand-selected 100% new French oak barrels.