Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the world's most widely recognized red wine grape varieties. It is grown in nearly every major wine producing country among a diverse spectrum of climates from Canada's Okanagan Valley to Lebanon's Beqaa Valley. Cabernet Sauvignon became internationally recognized through its prominence in Bordeaux wines where it is often blended with Merlot and Cabernet Franc. From France, the grape spread across Europe and to the New World where it found new homes in places like California's Santa Cruz Mountains, Napa Valley, New Zealand's Hawkes Bay, Australia's Margaret River and Coonawarra regions and Chile's Maipo Valley and Colchagua. The classic profile of Cabernet Sauvignon tends to be full-bodied wines with high tannins and noticeable acidity that contributes to the wine's aging potential. In cooler climates, Cabernet Sauvignon tends to produce wines with blackcurrant notes that can be accompanied by green bell pepper notes, mint and cedar which will all become more pronounced as the wine ages. In more moderate climates the blackcurrant notes are often seen with black cherry and black olives notes while in very hot climates the current flavors can veer towards the over-ripe and "jammy" side.
- Item #: i_218980Bottle Size: 750mlRoosevelt Vineyard was planted in 1993 and has quickly become Elk Cove's most prized vineyard site. A four-acre high-density (2100 vines per acre) planting situated just south of the winery on Willakenzie soils, Roosevelt's south-facing hillside slopes to a steep precipice overlooking the magnificent Williams Canyon. Roosevelt undergoes extensive pruning and cluster thinning to limit yields and maximize ripening to concentrate the fruit and is managed using completely organic practices. All of these elements combine to consistently produce one of Oregon's finest Pinot Noirs.
This expansive wine begins with a walk through the forest: cedar and huckleberry are followed by candied orange, coffee and fennel. After a succulent entry, seamless layers demand attention with big cherry, raspberry and currant complemented by a savory seam of dark chocolate and tea.
- Item #: i_218600Bottle Size: 750mlStraight out of the gate, this wine screams "Sonoma Coast" more than ever. Always the denser, more dramatic sister of our Small Town blend, Sascha's displays amazing purity this year. Conditions at harvest gave Eric Kent the classic ripe black fruit flavors and aromas Roberts Road Vineyard is known for, but with much more lively acidity than usual. In fact, the winery things this is some of the they've seen from this vineyard, and we're thrilled to share it!
A classic Sonoma Coast pinot nose of black raspberry and cherry and savory spice lead to a vibrant, shimmering core of the same on the palate.
- Item #: i_228560Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes: "The complex aromas of dried cherry, blackberry bramble, orange peel, cherry tobacco, cedar, sandalwood, cardamom, pink peppercorn and forest floor give a decidedly autumn impression. Amazingly silky across the palate with sweet red fruits on the mid-palate, plenty of fine textured tannins and a long toasty finish. This is one of the most elegant and approachable Hanzell Vineyards Pinot Noirs in recent memory."
- Item #: i_228430Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93Winemaker's Tasting Notes: "Vibrant aromas of pomegranate, ripe cherry and orange peel are given complexity by notes of sweet pipe tobacco, gunpowder, damp earth and mocha. On the palate, the powerful flavors of pomegranate and plum are carried by a supple, silky texture and beautifully balanced acidity."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Delicate and fine-edged, with rose petal and forest floor notes to the savory flavors of dried red fruit and spice. Crushed stone and minerally details show on the finish. Drink now through 2023."
- Item #: i_235930Bottle Size: 750mlJosh Phelps isn't just making a name for himself in the wine industry, he's making the industry roar with enthusiasm! Having learned time-honored techniques from his father, Chris Phelps (whose deft hand has helped to create wines at Dominus, Chateau Petrus, and Ad Vivum), Josh is focusing on using that knowledge to produce wines that are easier on the credit card. Last year's releases became some of our biggest sellers, and now he's cracking into the world of Oregon Pinot Noir!
A Landform is a natural and exceptional feature of the solid surface of the Earth. In our world, Landform is a reaffirmation of our commitment to creating wines that evoke a sense of place. With an emphasis on quality and experience, this grassroots project extends the Grounded Wine Co. landscape to bring you Josh's latest terroir-driven wine, a unique Pinot Noir from Willamette Valley, Oregon.
Brilliant medium ruby color, the 2018 Landform Pinot Noir is a wine with a very expressive personality. Leading with compelling aromas of freshly-crushed cherry, strawberry, and raspberry. On the palate, the wine is refreshing, with a structure that is surprisingly full-bodied and seamless from start to finish. There is just enough texture to provide a sense of vibrant energy, which culminates in a lively crescendo highlighted by fresh cherry and strawberry flavors. 13.5% ABV. 2,300 cases.