Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the world's most widely recognized red wine grape varieties. It is grown in nearly every major wine producing country among a diverse spectrum of climates from Canada's Okanagan Valley to Lebanon's Beqaa Valley. Cabernet Sauvignon became internationally recognized through its prominence in Bordeaux wines where it is often blended with Merlot and Cabernet Franc. From France, the grape spread across Europe and to the New World where it found new homes in places like California's Santa Cruz Mountains, Napa Valley, New Zealand's Hawkes Bay, Australia's Margaret River and Coonawarra regions and Chile's Maipo Valley and Colchagua. The classic profile of Cabernet Sauvignon tends to be full-bodied wines with high tannins and noticeable acidity that contributes to the wine's aging potential. In cooler climates, Cabernet Sauvignon tends to produce wines with blackcurrant notes that can be accompanied by green bell pepper notes, mint and cedar which will all become more pronounced as the wine ages. In more moderate climates the blackcurrant notes are often seen with black cherry and black olives notes while in very hot climates the current flavors can veer towards the over-ripe and "jammy" side.
- Item #: i_200450Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "A blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23% Syrah, 22% Merlot and 5% Petite Sirah, the 2016 Apex Sonoma County Red Wine sports a deep garnet-purple color and a provocative nose of baked blackcurrants, Black Forest cake, tar and chargrill with hints of bay leaves, truffles and tapenade. Full-bodied, rich and decadently fruited in the mouth, it packs in the black fruit and savory layers with a firm yet plush texture and great length."
- Item #: i_200340Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Located in an ancient volcanic zone in the Sonoma County, Knights Valley (pictured above) offers incredibly unique and diverse soils with a climate perfectly suited to Bordeaux varietals, as demonstrated by the delicious wines made by Peter Michael, Keplinger and Beringer. Anakota is one of Knights Valley's stars that produces wines that personify the rustic elegance and spirit of this volcanic area. With Mount St. Helena looking down upon the vineyard, prevailing westerly winds pass over a large, cold pond and blow uphill, parallel to the rows of vines. These cooling breezes slow down the ripening of the grapes and result in wines that are packed with elegance, complexity and finesse. The wines are crafted by Pierre Seillan, whose deft hand has also created 100 point wines at Verite!
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Helena Montana Vineyard (100% Cabernet Sauvignon) comes from a vineyard that contains more volcanic rock. Deep purple-black in color, it reveals slightly tarry notes to begin, soon opening out to beautiful black cherry, black berry and warm cassis scents with hints of cigar box, charcuterie, licorice and Indian spices. The palate is medium to full-bodied, with a rock-solid frame of grainy tannins and wonderful freshness supporting the densely packed earth layers, finishing very long and savory. This needs time! 920 cases produced."
- Item #: i_201500Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "Dark cherry, plum, grilled herbs, game, smoke, licorice and lavender infuse the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon (Knights Valley) with tons of character. Beams of tannin and persistent saline notes – both typical of Knights Valley – give the 2015 much of its character. There is so much to like."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon is deep garnet-purple and gives very pretty notes of crushed red currants, black cherries and black currants with touches of camphor, pencil shavings, lilacs and cigar box. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has a taut structure of grainy tannins and great freshness supporting the muscular red and black fruits, finishing with a lingering minty lift. 2,500 cases produced."
- Item #: i_204350Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine was made with grapes grown with certified sustainable farming methods. Benziger's sustainable philosophy promotes natural vineyard management, restoration of the land and biodiversity on the estate. Benziger's Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon is very inviting with aromas of black olive and savory, dark fruit. Its well weighted structure and integrated tannins add a light chalkiness to the palate. Flavors of black currant, Bing cherry and juicy plum endure from start to finish, as hints of tea and cocoa help support the mid-palate.
- Item #: i_210200Bottle Size: 750mlChalk Hill's Estate is a compendium of unique microclimates, exposures and soil types. They are fortunate to be able to make everything from aromatic Sauvignon Blanc to big, bold Syrah. Nowhere is this ideal situation more evident than in their Estate Red, which is just that - the best blend of the red wines made from the estate. Each variety is perfectly matched to the vineyard site. The blend will also vary from year to year, as the vineyard yields and fruit quality depend greatly on the weather during springtime bloom and set, and during harvest. Cabernet and Malbec were the stars in 2016, and form the base of this Estate Red. Grapes grown on the rocky slopes of their Estate West vineyard make up the balance of the blend. This year, the final blend is comprised of 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Malbec, 9% Petit Verdot, and 7% Merlot.
Chalk Hill's 2016 Estate Red opens with bold and intense aromas of blackberry, anise, tobacco leaf and dark chocolate. The palate is rich and savory, with layered flavors of black cherry, dark chocolate and leather with oak influences of vanilla and toast. Though firm, the tannins are rounded by a balanced acidity and a long and smooth finish. Though appealing in its youth, this wine will also age beautifully over the next 15 years.
- Item #: i_220590Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90ROBERT PARKER 90 POINTS - "A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, Malbec, Merlot and Cabernet Franc, the 2014 Tresor has a deep garnet color and nose of cassis, warm blackberries and mulberries with hints of cedar, menthol and cloves. Medium-bodied, there’s a good amount of expressive black currant and baking spice flavors in the mouth, with chewy tannins and an herbal lift on the finish."
- Item #: i_236250Bottle Size: 750MLRich and boldly flavored, this Sonoma Valley Cabernet offers an intriguing bouquet of vanilla, raspberry and caramel that wraps around a core of black cherry, cassis and raspberry flavors. Kunde's estate Cabernet's rich, chewy tannins play across the palate and linger on the wine's complex finish.
- Item #: i_240150Bottle Size: 750mlNever being the kind to just rest on their laurels, the Louis Martini winery keeps making top-notch wine for exceptionally reasonable prices. Not only has this been a previous Hi-Time "Wine of the Month", but it has also been rated at the top of the restaurants list of greatest wines for the price! Heck…even wine critic Robert Parker called a previous vintage of this wine, "one of the great values in Cabernet Sauvignon in the marketplace".
For more than 70 years, Martini family winemakers have walked the hillside vineyards of Napa and Sonoma counties, searching for the most distinctive flavors of the best Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. Winemaker Michael Martini performs every aspect of winemaking by hand; no "wine factory" mentality, here! He blends small batches of mouth-filling wines (for this bottling, Alexander Valley and Dry Creek Valley) that can highlight the differences in the vineyards or balance their individual strengths in a marriage of flavor and structure.
The tannins make the young wine approachable but will still give it enough texture to age gracefully. This vintage had a long, calm growing season, helping create elevated and concentrated flavors that include wild berries, plum, licorice and mocha. The full-bodied and mouth-coating feel on the palate leads to a long, graceful finish with tones of intense fruit, dried herbs and cedar inside firm structure.
- Item #: i_245210Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Vinous Media: 96ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Mon Chevalier is one of the best wines of the year at Morlet. Ripe, exuberant and richly layered in the glass, the 2013 possesses nearly extravagant richness. This is an especially opulent style for Knights Valley. Some of the more savory notes typical of the appellation are hidden by the lushness of the fruit, but the pedigree and personality of this site can't be denied."
ROBERT PARKER 95 POINTS - "The Bordeaux varietals range from a tiny 180 cases of Morlet's Force de La Nature (100% Cabernet Franc from the Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard) to 650 cases of his Knights Valley Mon Chevalier. The 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Mon Chevalier, a blend of 86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Cabernet Franc, 3% Merlot and the rest Malbec and Petit Verdot, offers cassis, mocha, loamy soil undertones, plenty of chocolate, blackberry and a full-bodied, lush style. Peter Michael was the first to exploit just how superb Knights Valley Bordeaux varietals can be, but Morlet has certainly proven with this wine what is possible. This is a beauty to drink now and over the next 20+ years."
- Item #: i_243710Bottle Size: 750mlThe aromas of the 2016 Mossback Cabernet Sauvignon are an enticing mix of dark chocolate, leather and cigar box. The flavors are revealed in layers of raspberry, dried cranberry and cedar. There are plenty of firm tannins with a hint of minerality on the finish. This is a well-structured Cabernet that will age gracefully for several years.
- Item #: i_253630Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+The Mount Peak story begins more than a century ago at the celebrated Monte Rosso Vineyard (one of the truly great vineyards in Sonoma County) and culminates with the revival of Mount Peak Winery, a vistige of one of California's ghost wineries. These wines are inspired by this great place, and the new owners pay tribute to the extraordinary winery that once stood there by capturing its enduring spirit in the wine.
Mount Peak's "Sentinel" Cabernet Sauvignon is named for the shield-shaped block that pays a watchful eye to the entrance to Monte Rosso Vineyard. It's a muscular and intense wine with rich, deep tannins and mouthfilling, concentrated fruit. Aromas of ripe dark currants mingle with hints of brown sugar and sweet mint. Flavors of blackberry and cherry are woven through anise and toasted cedar, echoing in a long finish that is framed with notes of sweet cream. This wine has tremendous aging potential.
ROBERT PARKER 92+ POINTS - "The Mount Peak Winery is named after the original ghost winery that was on the Monte Rosso property, now owned by the Gallo family. The three wines I tasted are super-impressive, powerful, rich and concentrated."
"Lastly, 4,750 cases were made of the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Sentinel, 83% from the Monte Rosso Vineyard in Sonoma and the rest from other Sonoma sources. It is a blend of 97% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Petite Sirah aged in 53% new French oak. Again, ripeness is well-noted in the 15.7% alcohol, but there is not a bit of heat to the wine's overall character. A wine of considerable stature, gravitas, intensity and full-bodied power, it is muscular, backward and somewhat primordial, this wine needs a good 1-2 more years bottle age and should last for 25-30 years."
- Item #: i_246110Bottle Size: 750mlHere’s a delightful Cabernet from a reliable winery at a very fair price! Murphy-Goode Estate Winery was founded in 1985 and produces excellent wines from grapes sourced from over 300 acres of vineyards in Sonoma’s Alexander Valley. This is a classic Alexander Valley Cabernet with seductive aromatics that feature blackberries, plums, sweet herbs, anise, dark chocolate, coffee and toasty oak. The complex aromas are mirrored on the palate with layers of flavors that include blackberries, cherries, currants, and baker’s chocolate. Aging in a combination of French and American oak has added vanilla and coffee nuances and supple texture. Crowd-pleasing Cabernet that tastes like a $20.00 bottle. Buy it by the case!
- Item #: i_242070Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Composed of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 22% Cabernet Franc, 10% Merlot and 6% Petit Verdot, the 2017 Les Pavots comes from Knights Valley AVA. Deep garnet-purple in color, it leaps from the glass with vivacious notes of crushed black berries, Black Forest cake, blueberry compote and blackcurrant cordial with touches of camphor, lavender, tapenade and cigar box plus hints of mocha and pencil lead. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is packed with muscular black fruits, framed by firm grainy tannins and just enough freshness, finishing long and savory. 2,050 cases were made."
- Item #: i_258220Bottle Size: 750MLAfter making powerful, age-worthy, and high-scoring wines at Beringer for several decades, Ed Sbragia decided to step back and focus on wines from his family's properties in Sonoma County. Anybody who has had the Reserve Cabs and Chard made by Ed can attest to the fact that his wines are full of personality, and given the price points of the Sbragia wines vis-à-vis the scores they earn, these wines offer tremendous values! This bottling comes from the family's property in Dry Creek Valley, perched on a hillside, giving the vineyard ample sunshine and well-drained soils for superior grape quality.
- Item #: i_258480Bottle Size: 750mlThis supple and generous Cabernet Sauvignon blend is crafted in the classic Bordeaux style that Walter Schug pioneered in the 1970's as winemaster of Joseph Phelps Vineyards. A ripe mouthful of currant and cherry flavors is framed by fine tannins and a touch of spicy oak. It has a classic bouquet bursting with berries, cassis and spice. Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot are blended in to add depth and elegance, further enhancing the bright berry flavors and lively acidity. Try this wine with hearty stews, wild mushrooms and grilled meats. Though ready to enjoy now, it will develop gracefully with 5 to 7 years of additional cellaring.
- Item #: i_282860Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+ROBERT PARKER 96+ POINTS - "The deep garnet-purple colored 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Cherryblock offers wonderfully complex scents of creme de cassis, wild blueberries, plum preserves and incense with nuances of lilacs, cigar box, beef drippings, wood smoke and tilled soil. Full-bodied and jam-packed with tightly wound black berry preserves, spice and savory layers, it has a rock-solid frame of grainy tannins and seamless freshness, finishing long and perfumed. 840 cases produced."
- Item #: i_264821Bottle Size: 750MLThis 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon is the culmination of its creators' journey - "From the Land of the Sun to the Valley of The Moon." Viticulturist Diego Smart was farming his own vineyard in Mendoza, Argentina - The Land of the Sun - when he met winemaker Lynda Hanson. Eventually he followed her to Sonoma’s Valley of the Moon and the couple started a family. Diego began working in some of Sonoma’s best vineyards as a vineyard manager and Lynda as a winemaker first at Wellington Vineyards in Glen Ellen, then at Hanzell vineyards in Sonoma. In 2010 they had the opportunity to combine their passion and expertise to create their own wine. The grapes for this wine come from a small organically farmed vineyard in Glen Ellen. Diego oversaw all the farming and hand harvesting while Lynda oversaw the details of winemaking and aging. Only 2 barrels were produced in this first vintage. This first release from Smart Cellars has a compellingly complex nose of mulberry, barrel toast and vanilla with a signature hint of dried herbs. In the mouth the wine explodes with berry fruit held in a supple, mouthfilling structure. Its deceptively smooth tannins make it delicious now but it promises to age for many years.
- Item #: i_270700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97+ROBERT PARKER 97+ POINTS - "This winery, one of the gems of the Kendall-Jackson portfolio of boutique wineries, debuted in 1998 and has been hitting on all cylinders since. I suspect top priority is given to Bordelais winemaker Pierre Seillan's choice of the finest fruit he can find from Jackson's holdings in Alexander Valley, Chalk Hill and Knights Valley."
"The 2014 La Joie has a spicy black purple color and a big, sweet kiss of camphor, black truffle, pen ink, blackcurrants and unsmoked cigar tobacco, followed by layers of fruit and glycerin in an opulent, beautifully savory, pure and multidimensional wine. The final blend Seillan produced in 2014 was 78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot. This is a compellingly great effort once again. It should be given 2-5 years of bottle age, then drunk over the following three decades."
- Item #: i_270740Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 99 POINTS - "A blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% Merlot, 6% Cabernet Franc and 5% Petit Verdot, the 2015 La Joie features a very deep purple-black color and almost electric nose of crushed blackcurrants, ripe black cherries and mulberries with sparks of raspberry pie, wild blueberries, unsmoked cigars, charcuterie and crushed stones. Medium to full-bodied and charged with the most amazing energy, the youthful, vibrant black-fruited palate is framed by very firm, very finely grained tannins and wonderful freshness, finishing with lingering crushed stones and earth layers. 4,000 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Verite's 2015 La Joie is deep, powerful and structured, with tons of Cabernet savoriness running through a core of intense, dark fruit. Grilled herbs, leather, menthol and licorice all develop in the glass. Sumptuous and yet also structured, La Joie is another winner from Verite. "
- Item #: i_270810Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 100 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "Another perfect wine is the 2016 La Joie, which is 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot, and 5% Petit Verdot sourced all from the estate vineyards in the Pocket Peak portion of the Alexander Valley. This full-bodied, powerful yet elegant Cabernet Sauvignon couldn't be better and has incredible purity, layers of creme de cassis, white flowers, tobacco leaf, and flowers, a deep, multi-dimensional texture, and loads of ultra-fine tannins. I'd confidently put this up against any Cabernet Sauvignon in the world. As with the La Muse, it has the balance, purity, and class to drink spectacularly well even today, but it's another wine that will benefit from a decade of cellaring and keep for 40-50 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2016 La Joie is a blend of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot. Very deep purple-black in color, it gives up the most gorgeous scents of lilacs, baking spices, incense and star anise with a core of warm cassis, Black Forest cake, redcurrant jelly and unsmoked cigars. Full-bodied and built like a brick house, it has a firm frame of very ripe, grainy tannins and bold, multilayered black fruit, finishing very long and very spicy. 3,200 cases produced."