Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the world's most widely recognized red wine grape varieties. It is grown in nearly every major wine producing country among a diverse spectrum of climates from Canada's Okanagan Valley to Lebanon's Beqaa Valley. Cabernet Sauvignon became internationally recognized through its prominence in Bordeaux wines where it is often blended with Merlot and Cabernet Franc. From France, the grape spread across Europe and to the New World where it found new homes in places like California's Santa Cruz Mountains, Napa Valley, New Zealand's Hawkes Bay, Australia's Margaret River and Coonawarra regions and Chile's Maipo Valley and Colchagua. The classic profile of Cabernet Sauvignon tends to be full-bodied wines with high tannins and noticeable acidity that contributes to the wine's aging potential. In cooler climates, Cabernet Sauvignon tends to produce wines with blackcurrant notes that can be accompanied by green bell pepper notes, mint and cedar which will all become more pronounced as the wine ages. In more moderate climates the blackcurrant notes are often seen with black cherry and black olives notes while in very hot climates the current flavors can veer towards the over-ripe and "jammy" side.
- Item #: i_277843Bottle Size: 750MLAdelaida's distinct family owned vineyards lie in the craggy hillside terrain of Paso Robles' Adelaida District, 14 miles from the Pacific coast. Ranging from 1400 – 2000 feet in elevation these low yielding vines are chal-lenged by chalky limestone soils and afternoon blasts of cool marine air, and a diurnal temperature swing of 40-50 degrees.
Long a benchmark for "Paso Cabs", Viking Vineyard's mountain fruit has the racy vibrancy of blue and red berries and the savory, structured tannins of its characteristic small berries. The wine walks the fashion runway of flavors, from red currants to black raspberries, from cedar-wood to graphite minerality, finishing energetically with notes of mocha and vanilla spice.
- Item #: i_211280Bottle Size: 750mlEach year, Ancient Peaks crafts the limited-edition Oyster Ridge cuvee to exemplify their finest winemaking efforts. The name Oyster Ridge honors an outcropping that always astonishes visitors to their estate Margarita Vineyard. Here, large white oyster fossils are literally spilling out of the ground, fostering the type of calcium-rich soil that is coveted by winemakers worldwide. The 2016 vintage is a blend of 51% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 9% Petit Verdot, 4% Cabernet Franc, and 4% Malbec, all from meticulously farmed vineyard blocks cultivated for the Oyster Ridge program.
The 2016 Oyster Ridge offers a sumptuous bouquet of black berry and black currant with notes of creme de cassis, violets, vanilla bean, cedar and graphite. On the palate, the wine is exquisitely dense and integrated, showing chewy layers of black fruits interwoven with accents of caramel, mint, cinnamon spice and new oak. Fine-grained tannins and sleek acidity bring a resounding conclusion to what is nothing less than a blockbuster vintage for Oyster Ridge. This is a wine that will generously evolve in the bottle for years to come.
- Item #: i_211220Bottle Size: 750mlThe Ancient Peaks Cabernet Sauvignon comes blocks planted where the sloping terrain straddles rocky sedimentary and shale soils. These soils promote naturally low vigor for the development of intensely flavored fruit. Cold soaked for 48 hours prior to fermentation for a gentle extraction of color and flavor, the wine was racked to a combination of French and American oak barrels, where it aged for 18 months prior to blending and bottling. Small lots of Malbec and Syrah were incorporated into the final blend for added dimension.
The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon offers warm aromas of blueberry, plum and toasted oak along with classic varietal notes of graphite and black olive. The texture is plump and juicy, cascading across the palate with flavors of black currant and fresh red berries accentuated by hints of roast coffee, anise, tobacco and mineral. Sleek acidity paves the way for an elegant finish framed by smooth tannins.
- Item #: i_230790Bottle Size: 750mlDeep ruby in color, the Austin Hope Cabernet Sauvignon expresses aromas of freshly picked black currants, ripe black cherries, and blackberries, with subtle notes of violets, mocha, and dried spices. On the palate, it's a big, powerful, modern-styled wine layered with heaps of juicy blackberry and cherry fruit, while nuances of cedar, clove, nutmeg and vanilla bean round out the long smooth finish. It's full-bodied and rich, balanced by fresh acidity and firm, polished tannins.
- Item #: i_202670Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 90 POINTS - "(aged in a 50/50 combination of French and American oak, 35 percent of it new) Inky ruby. Ripe cherry, dark berries and a hint of vanilla on the perfumed nose. Sweet, seamless dark fruit, mocha and spicecake flavors put on weight and gain energy with air. Rich yet lively; a peppery element adds cut to the long, focused finish, and fine-grained tannins add grip."
- Item #: i_214820Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "From high up off Adelaida Road, the Daou brothers continue to make a massive lineup of stellar wines. The 2016s are incredibly strong across the board and make the most of this brilliant vintage. In 2017, they opted to wait until after the heatwaves and then do extensive sorting, and this paid off brilliantly and I suspect they've made the top Bordeaux blends in the vintage. As I've said in the past, these wine compete with the best of Napa Valley and are some of the leading Bordeaux blends from Paso Robles."
"Also bottled the week before this tasting, the 2016 Soul of a Lion includes more Cabernet Sauvignon than the 2014 and 2015 and is 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Cabernet Franc and the rest Petit Verdot. It's an incredible achievement and has sensational notes of creme de cassis, graphite, violets, and lead pencil shavings. Made in a pure California, pedal-to-the-metal style, with full body and loads of fruit, it stays balanced, has ultra-fine tannins, and a layered, seamless style that just glides over the palate. Don't think Paso Robles can make world-class Cabernet Sauvignon? Try this wine."
- Item #: i_214880Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsThe greatness of DAOU Mountain was foretold many decades ago when renowned winemaking authority Andre Tchelistcheff hailed it as "A JEWEL OF ECOLOGICAL ELEMENTS."
The calcareous clay soil here is comparable to Bordeaux's Right Bank, while the buffered Pacific microclimate is similar to Saint Helena-- a perfect confluence of elements. DAOU Mountain is blessed with extraordinary phenolic output, yielding some of the darkest, most deeply textured wines in the world. These wines are never acidified, as the ideal level of acidity comes naturally.
"Our wines are natural and pure: handpicked, hand-made and always free of artificial additives." All fruit from DAOU Mountain is handpicked, then sorted both by human eye and cutting-edge optical technology to ensure absolute fruit purity. Using only 100 percent free run juice, Winemaker Daniel Daou initiates fermentation with native yeasts cultivated from the estate. Each fermentation is customized by measuring phenolic composition and using sensory analysis, enabling Daniel to orchestrate natural balance and texture.
"We are committed to multifaceted sustainable practices that have earned our vineyard SIP (Sustainability in Practice) certification. The flavors and aromas you experience in DAOU wines originate from the earth and are poured into each bottle with an acute mindfulness for human and environmental well-being. ”
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2017 Soul Of A Lion is a blend of 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Cabernet Franc and 8% Petit Verdot aged 22 months in 100% new French oak. It has a deep ruby-purple color and wonderfully unique expression, with scents of forest floor, underbrush, English breakfast tea, espresso, blackcurrant bud, dark chocolate and exotic flowers mingling over a core of perfectly ripe wild blackberries and Morello cherries, all complemented by a classy framing of new oak spices. The medium to full-bodied palate is slow to unfurl, with a frame like liquid silk and a very long finish that gives up layer after layer of nuanced flavors. Wow!"
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Soul Of A Lion offers a forward, bona fide fruit bomb style yet has plenty of class. A sweet nose of cassis, Asian spice, cedar box, and chocolate gives way to a full-bodied, hedonistic 2017 that stays balanced and layered. This cuvee always delivers and the 2017 is just an incredible drink."
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 95-96 POINTS - "Inky ruby. Primary dark berry, cherry pit and pipe tobacco aromas are complemented by hints of vanillin oak, mocha and baking spices. Broad and fleshy in the mouth, offering sweet black cherry and cassis flavors and suggestions of dark chocolate, espresso and vanilla. Becomes smokier with air and finishes with superb clarity and strong, spicy persistence. (raised in new French oak barrels for 22 months)"
- Item #: i_214800Bottle Size: 750mlFamily owned and operated, DAOU is committed to producing collectible, world-class wines to rival the most respected appellations in the world. Situated on a 212-acre hilltop estate in the Adelaida District of Paso Robles, their remarkable geology, favorable microclimate, and high elevation were once described by renowned California winemaker Andre Tchelistcheff as "a jewel of ecological elements." As stewards of this beautiful terroir, DAOU's goal is to make unique fine wines that honestly and accurately reflect the potential of the estate and to craft wines that combine Old World tradition with New World techniques.
The 2018 vintage shows characteristics that are rich and sophisticated on the nose with currant, black cherry, cedar and eucalyptus, and displays undertones of briary blackberry and wet gravel. Ancillary aromas of coffee and cocoa are rounded out nicely with notes of crushed sage and baking spice. Full bodied and formidable on the palate, offering enticing and juicy wild blackberry, Oregon blueberry and crisp black cherry flavors. Hints of plum and mulberry are accentuated with fig, black olives and fine leather. Excellent structure and harmony between the pure fruit core and firm, supple backbone of polished tannins. Finish is surprisingly elegant for a wine of such power. Silky and smooth, ending on lovely notes of sweet cherry and boysenberry.
- Item #: i_274343Bottle Size: 750mlEberle's Vineyard Selection Cabernet Sauvignon displays 100% varietal characteristics blended from several distinguished Paso Robles vineyards, including the Eberle Estate Vineyard. This well-balanced Cabernet has a silky mouthfeel with flavors and aromas of blackberry jam, ripe plums, and toasty oak with a dry lingering finish. Our Vineyard Selection Cabernet Sauvignon is so approachable that can you enjoy it by the glass or with hearty fare.
- Item #: i_230310Bottle Size: 750mlEnd Post is brought to us by our friends at Adelaida in Paso Robles, and while there are some things we could tell you (like how it's fermented, the oak, yadda, yadda, yadda), the main thing you need to know is that from the first sip, we KNEW this was a winner! Opaque garnet/purple in color, this shows black and red fruits on the nose as it opens, with cassis, pomegranate and cherry, leading to anisette, violets, chestnut and cocoa aromas. The attack on the palate is full-on expansive and seductive, with rich blackberry, cherry and framboise that intermingles with vanilla, nutmeg and a hint of spice. The tannins are plush, the acidity is good and the wine is impossible to resist!
- Item #: i_228140Bottle Size: 750mlAncestor is Halter Ranch's Bordeaux-style reserve blend, it is their flagship wine (think along the lines of Joseph Phelps' Insignia or Justin's Isosceles), and an homage to the heart and soul of their property, the Ancestor Tree. This tree is one of the largest coast live oaks on record, and is nestled amongst the vines of block eleven. A blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 19% Petit Verdot, and 11% Malbec, grapes were destemmed and fermented in closed top fermentors, with open pump-overs two to three times daily for an average of 16 days, then aged for 18 months in French oak barrels.
Carefully selected barrels were blended for this cuvee which offers aromas of berry compote and baking spices. Rich and powerful, flavors of boysenberry, cassis, and graphite with a long silky mouthfeel that leads to a well-structured finish. Ancestor pairs well with beef, lamb, and game. Enjoy now, or set aside for a special occasion, as this wine will develop beautifully for years to come.
- Item #: i_228180Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 82% Cabernet Sauvignon and 18% Petite Sirah, Synthesis is an approachable Cabernet Sauvignon blend that has aromas of both red and black fruits and cassis, followed by flavors of black cherry and plums. Smooth and approachable, this wine is great on its own, but also pairs with virtually everything.
- Item #: i_228020Bottle Size: 750MLCabernet Sauvignon is Halter Ranch's most widely planted varietal with over one-hundred acres under vine. The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon possesses a classic profile with aromas of red and black currants and graphite. Bright and fresh on the palate, this wine has flavors of red fruits and black cherries. A balanced mid-palate and well-integrated tannins lead to a long seamless finish. Delicious now, this wine will continue to develop for years to come. Pair with wood-fired pizza, braised game, and roasted or grilled meats.
- Item #: i_274425Bottle Size: 1.5LThis only the 4rd time that Russel From has made Bolt Cutter. This wine is a swerve from the historically Rhone focus of Herman Story. The name is a playful nod to Russel P. From's most iconic wine: Nuts and Bolts. This is Herman Story for the "I only drink Napa Cab" crowd.
A blend of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23% Petit Verdot, and 15% Syrah, and if wines were like fashion, this would be prete a porter. It's that perfect little black dress that transitions seamlessly from an afternoon sipping on cinnamon hibiscus highballs in the Upper East Side to an evening dancing in SoHo. The next morning, you hop into a finely upholstered Uber XL, sipping cardamom tea as you head out of the city for weekend adventure featuring a stay at the little country inn that serves an unforgettable Apricot-Glazed Pork Shoulder. Because that's just how you roll.
- Item #: i_238040Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleWinemaker's Notes: "The 2017 J. Lohr Hilltop Cabernet Sauvignon shows splendid ripe fruit, Cocoa powder, and graphite on the nose. The palate comes across dense chalky and soft, with layers of blackcurrant, mineral, and notes of toasted pastry."
- Item #: i_238120Bottle Size: 750MLHilltop Cabernet Sauvignon is grown on a handful of select vineyard sites in the Paso Robles AVA. Blessed with long summer days of intense sunshine, their near 100°F daytime temperatures are followed by chilly, ocean-cooled nights in the 50s. These Cabernet vines are naturally stressed in the dry, often very gravelly, and sometimes lime shale-laden soils. Water is at a premium in these vineyards, enabling the viticulturist to fine-tune irrigation, producing the darkest fruit with resolved tannins year after year.
- Item #: i_238170Bottle Size: 750mlComprised primarily of Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Sirah, with smaller amounts of Merlot, Petit Verdot, and Malbec.
- Item #: i_233630Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Cabernet Franc, and 7% Merlot aged for 21 months in 100% new French oak, the 2016 Isosceles has a dark ruby/purple core, lighter in color toward the rim. Moderate plus viscosity with slow forming, slightly stained tears. Highly aromatic with ripe black cherry and cassis fruit, vanilla and cinnamon spice with cedar, graphite, dried autumn leaf and licorice notes over an attractive toasted oak background. Dry and full-bodied on the palate with ripe, complex black fruit of cherry and blackcurrants layered with baking spice on the entry. The mid palate has continuing ripe fruit with savory dried leaf elements, cedar, anise, camphor and a bit of cocoa surrounded with firm, chewy tannins and sweet spice notes that add complexity as the palate evolves. Sustained fruit, spice and savory elements mix through a very long, complex and fresh finish with lingering tannins.
- Item #: i_277570Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92-94 POINTS - "Consistently thrilling wines come from l'Aventure, which is run with incredible talent and passion by St. Emilion native Stephan Asseo. His 2016s are incredible efforts, and the 2017 more Rhone blends are certainly in the same ballpark. Due to the heat spikes at harvest, Bordeaux varieties were much more difficult and hit or miss."
"Lastly, the 2017 Estate Cuvee shows the effects of the heat spikes and has some firm, angular tannins that are buffered by lots of blackcurrant fruit. It has classic graphite, licorice, and lead pencil aromas, medium to full body, and good length, yet it's certainly not going to make you forget this brilliant 2016. Nevertheless, my money is on it being an outstanding wine."
- Item #: i_241040Bottle Size: 750mlMcPrice Myers has long been a favorite winemaker and friend of ours, because he produces insanely delicious wines at more than reasonable prices. He has become one of the "gurus of Grenache" and a "sultan of Syrah" in California's Central Coast, but it appears his Cabernet is going to quickly gain him even more praise!
"Bull By the Horns" continues to be Mac's only Bordeaux-centric wine. He blends Petite Sirah into the wine in an attempt to tame the structure of the Cabernet Sauvignon, and the result is juicy, full-bodied, and harmonious wine! The nose is riddled with cassis, violets, ripe black cherry, soy, cured meats, blackberries, and hints of cherry and raspberry. The flavors follow through to the palate, where the velvety tannins keep the ripeness of the fruit in balance. Full-bodied, with just a hint of a savory note, this is a wine that is sure to please any lover of California Cabernet!
- Item #: i_205700Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94-97 POINTS - "The 2017 My Favorite Neighbor is in the same ballpark and offers terrific notes of creme de cassis, tobacco leaf, lead pencil shavings, and cedary herbs. It's a full-bodied, silky, impeccably balanced beauty that has just subtle background oak, a stacked mid-palate, and terrific purity of fruit."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS - "A barrel sample blended of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Syrah and 10% Petit Verdot, the 2017 My Favorite Neighbor Proprietary Blend is deep garnet-purple in color and a little cedary to begin, giving way to fragrant blackcurrants, black cherries and black raspberries with touches of spice cake, Sichuan pepper, violets and hoisin. Full-bodied, densely packed and with velvety tannins, it delivers tons of tightly wound flavors, finishing long."
- Item #: i_247780Bottle Size: 750mlCabernet Sauvignon is perfectly suited to the warm days and cool nights that Paso Robles offers from its diurnal shift - the range of temperatures can be over 45 degrees from coolest night to heat of day. The resultant wine - with power and finesse - exhibits blackberry and cherry accompanied by exotic spices. Fresh fruits and herbs are supported by a rich structure, warm spice, mocha, and structured oak. Although perfectly suited to current consumption, this wine will reward careful aging.
- Item #: i_222880Bottle Size: 750mlFormerly known as "Force of Nature"
A lifeling agriculturalist, Rob Murray's passion is to honor the character of the site, above all else, believing that Nature is the true farmer, and himself only its steward. At Mossfire Ranch indigenous grasses populate the vineyard rows, irrigation is used sparingly and vines are trained individually to ensure the site shines through in the final fruit.
Located in Paso Robles, Mosfire Ranch was planted in 1996 on steep hillsides and a rolling valley floor, the vineyard weathers 40 degree diurnal shifts, snow dustings, summer sun and bitter winds. The extremity of the climate creates fruit of uncommon concentration and uniform ripeness.
The 2017 Rabble Cabernet Sauvignon displays classic Cabernet notes of red plum, red currant, cassis and hint of tobacco leaf lift from the glass. Undertones of French oak, vanilla and dried sage add the complexity of the aromatics. On the palate, plush red cherry is rounded out with strong acidity and an old-world style tannin profile.