Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the world's most widely recognized red wine grape varieties. It is grown in nearly every major wine producing country among a diverse spectrum of climates from Canada's Okanagan Valley to Lebanon's Beqaa Valley. Cabernet Sauvignon became internationally recognized through its prominence in Bordeaux wines where it is often blended with Merlot and Cabernet Franc. From France, the grape spread across Europe and to the New World where it found new homes in places like California's Santa Cruz Mountains, Napa Valley, New Zealand's Hawkes Bay, Australia's Margaret River and Coonawarra regions and Chile's Maipo Valley and Colchagua. The classic profile of Cabernet Sauvignon tends to be full-bodied wines with high tannins and noticeable acidity that contributes to the wine's aging potential. In cooler climates, Cabernet Sauvignon tends to produce wines with blackcurrant notes that can be accompanied by green bell pepper notes, mint and cedar which will all become more pronounced as the wine ages. In more moderate climates the blackcurrant notes are often seen with black cherry and black olives notes while in very hot climates the current flavors can veer towards the over-ripe and "jammy" side.
- Item #: i_213910Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsRoger Bower, the owner and visionary behind Crown Point, purchased the property after recognizing its potential to produce world-class Cabernet Sauvignon. Crown Point is a true vanguard in the region, crafting premium wines that rival the best throughout the world. Nestled in the eastern-most foothills of the east-to-west transverse valley of the Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara AVA (American Viticultural Area), Crown Point is blessed with distinct climatic conditions and soil types that provide an ideal growing environment for Bordeaux varieties.
Winemaker Adam Henkel joined Roger in 2013. Adam, who spent 10 years in the Napa Valley, including eight years at Harlan Estate in Oakville, had long been fascinated by the viticultural diversity and geographical grandeur of Santa Barbara County. His pursuit at Crown Point has been to express the unique characteristics and individuality of the region's preeminent vineyards through farming and winemaking at the highest possible level.
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "the deep, inky colored 2015 Estate Selection is a blend of 71% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% each of Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, and Malbec, and the rest Merlot, aged 26 months in new French oak. This beauty boasts a fabulous bouquet of blackcurrants, melted licorice, cigar wrapper, and tobacco leaf, with more spice and dried flower notes coming through with time in the glass. Deep, rich, full-bodied, and elegant, with beautiful purity as well as ripe tannin, it certainly has the class to drink nicely today, yet will be even better with 2-3 years of bottle age and keep for two decades."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2015 Estate Selection is a blend of 71% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Cabernet Franc, 9% Petit Verdot, 9% Malbec and 2% Merlot. Deep garnet-purple colored, it sings of perfumed kirsch, warm black cherries, cassis and plums with touches of rose hip tea, eucalyptus, baking spices, violets and fragrant earth. Full-bodied, rich and spicy in the mouth, it has a firm, velvety texture and loads of layers, finishing with a lively lift. 509 cases produced."
- Item #: i_214330Bottle Size: 750mlAnybody who has walked into our store asking for a great Cabernet recommendation has sure heard us talking up the Desparada wines from winemaker Valia Esh. Valia is a lady who has managed to understand winemaking quicker and with more detail than many other winemakers...to a point where others are jealous! This year's Soothsayer is comprised of 44% Barbera, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 16% nebbiolo from Spanish Springs, Star Lane, Luna Matta, and Chelle Mountain.
- Item #: i_232200Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "This was an incredible tasting with winemaker Matt Dees. This estate continues to produce some of the most impressive, long-lived wines in Santa Barbara."
"The inky colored 2009 El Alma de Jonata, which was made from 70% Cabernet Franc, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot and 1% Petit Verdot, is no less impressive, exhibiting rich, full notes of cigar, chocolate, tobacco leaf and crushed rock notes to go with a massively built, structured profile on the palate. Very full-bodied and one big wine, it can be enjoyed now or cellared for a decade. Drink now-2023."
- Item #: i_232470Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "Despite having been bottled a year ago, the 2014 El Desafio de Jonata is still very closed. Dark, dense and brooding, the 2014 is going to need at least a few years to unwind. The tannins are quite powerful, while the aromatics are reticent, both of which suggest readers will have to be patient."
- Item #: i_232300Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsOwned by Stanly Kroenke, the same gentleman that owns Screaming Eagle, Jonata has catapulted itself to the forefront of Santa Barbara County winemaking! Their vineyards are sustainably farmed, the wines routinely received high scores from the critics, and it was their "Todos" blend that really struck a chord with us this year! "Todos" translates to everything, and no, Jonata didn't just blend every single barrel of the leftovers. There were fantastic barrels of Cabernet, Syrah, Merlot, etc., so winemaker Matt Dees did blending trials with specific quantities of each varietal, and for the past few years, Todos has been an incredible wine for the money! It has earned 93 points from Wine Advocate and is a great way for consumers to sample the "house style" at a fraction of the price of the top bottlings.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "Blended of 47% Syrah, 28% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Petit Verdot, 5% Cabernet Franc, 5% Merlot, 3% Sangiovese and 2% Viognier, the 2014 Todos Proprietary Red Wine reveals a medium to deep garnet-purple color and a pronounced blackberries, blueberry pie and cassis-scented nose with an Indian spices and black pepper-laced undercurrent, plus a waft of lavender. Soft, medium-bodied, perfumed and elegant in the mouth, this finely crafted beauty offers great seamlessness and harmony, finishing long and spicy."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "I loved the 2014 Todos, and this kitchen sink blend of 47% Syrah, 28% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Petit Verdot, 5% Cabernet Franc, 5% Merlot, 3% Sangiovese and 2% Viognier isn't far behind the other cuvees in quality. Currants, black raspberries, toasted spice, earth and hints of herbs emerge from this medium to full-bodied, nicely concentrated, textured beauty that has tons of to love. It will keep through 2024."
- Item #: i_232400Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Ordinarily I might say that I was impressed with these wines from Jonata, but quality is so consistently high now that it excellence is the norm. Matt Dees is one of the most brilliant winemakers of his generation. But Dees is more than just a winemaker, he has also been able to assemble a team around him to help look after Jonata, The Hilt, The Pairing, vast estate vineyards and a new winery facility, plus whatever other projects are on the horizon, and that may be an even rarer talent than knowing how to make compelling wines."
"The 2015 El Desafio de Jonata, the estate's Cabernet Sauvignon-based blend, is dense, powerful and super-expressive, with tremendous textural richness and thrust. Still very, very young, the 2015 is going to need at least several years to come into its own. Even so, it is incredibly impressive in the early going."
JEB DUNNUCK 95+ POINTS - "From the lowest yields since 2004, the 2015 El Desafio de Jonata smells like a barrel sample with its jammy blackberry, blueberry, cassis, crushed rock and lead pencil aromas and flavors. Rich, mouthfilling, plush and textured, yet with loads of underlying tannin, it's going to be another terrific vintage for this cuvee, yet it needs to be forgotten for 5-7 years. The blend is 90% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% each of Merlot and Petit Verdot (there's no Cabernet Franc) aged 20 months in 80% new barrels."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "A blend of 90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot, the 2015 El Desafio de Jonata has a deep garnet-purple color and nose of cassis, blueberry compote and warm plums with hints of cigar box, dusty earth, cinnamon stick and bay leaves. The rich, medium to full-bodied palate gives layers of plums, earth notions and spices, with firm, grainy tannins to frame and a long, layered finish."
- Item #: i_232250Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "The 2016 El Alma de Jonata is the Cabernet Franc-dominated cuvee. (There's 11% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Merlot in the blend.) This beauty sports an inky color as well as Cheval Blanc-like notes of black cherries, cassis, crushed flowers, graphite and lead pencil. The suppleness and sexiness of the 2016 vintage has worked magic on this wine, which is incredibly opulent, expansive and seamless on the palate, with awesome purity of fruit, present tannins, and a huge finish. It's a tour de force from Santa Barbara that's up with the best in the world."
- Item #: i_274740Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95+Star Lane is a beautiful property located in Happy Canyon on the eastern edge of Santa Ynez Valley. Officially recognized in 2009, Happy Canyon AVA is unique from other AVAs within Santa Barbara County in terms of soil compositions and microclimates. It was while searching for an ideal location to grow Bordeaux varietals that Jim and Mary Dierberg stumbled across Star Lane in 1996 and it was love at first sight.
For over 20 years prior, Jim and Mary had successfully operated Hermannhof Winery in Hermann, Missouri, which was one of the United States' most significant wine-growing regions prior to Prohibition. But it was their love for Bordelaise varieties that brought them to California in the 1990s. Happy Canyon's ability to sustain warmth and Star Lane's varied soil composition and elevation ranging from 750 feet to over 1500 feet proved to be just what they were looking for and the Vineyard was planted. Today, daily operations of Star Lane are a family affair with the entire family and spouses working hand in hand!
ANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - "Fans of old-school California Cabernet will want to pay close attention to these new releases from Star Lane. Winemaker Tyler Thomas has done an extraordinary job of bringing out all the best qualities of this Happy Canyon site. Quite simply, I was blown away by what I tasted. Readers will also want to check out the wines at Dierberg, Star Lane's sister property focused on Chardonnay and Pinot Noir."
"The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Star Lane Vineyard is bold, pungent and bursting with fruit. Deep and unctuous in texture, but with considerable aromatic lift, the 2014 offers a terrific expression of Happy Canyon. Black cherry, blackberry, grilled herbs, menthol, sage and licorice infuse the rich, inviting finish. "
- Item #: i_273300Bottle Size: 750mlStolpman Vineyards lies on a rare outcropping of limestone in Santa Barbara's newly-established Ballard Canyon AVA. What makes Ballard Canyon so different from the rest of Santa Barbara is that most of the valleys within the county are in an east/west orientation. Ballard Canyon, however, is north/south, which means the region is moderately sheltered from fog and winds. Ballard Canyon is warmer than the surrounding areas, but combined with the soils, this maked for an ideal location for Rhone varietals, such as Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre, and Viognier. The Stolpman Vineyard has established itself as one of the prized vineyards in this region.
La Cuadrilla is Spanish for "the crew", and the proceeds from this wine go back to the farming crew. The core of the wine is harvested from the crew’s Cuadra, a vineyard block that Vineyard Manager Ruben Solorzano gives the crew each year to encourage proactive farming and decision making. Winemaker Sashi Moorman then blends more of the estate’s wine into Cuadrilla, ensuring the wine accounts for at least 10% of Stolpman's production each year. La Cuadrilla symbolizes the dedication at Stolpman to sustainable year-round employment rather than reliance on migrant labor.
- Item #: i_276300Bottle Size: 750MLThree Saints wines are a vivid expression of carefully selected grapes from the Dierberg Family's vineyards which are located in three of Santa Barbara County's premium wine growing regions: Santa Maria Valley, Santa Rita Hills and Santa Ynez Valley.