Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the world's most widely recognized red wine grape varieties. It is grown in nearly every major wine producing country among a diverse spectrum of climates from Canada's Okanagan Valley to Lebanon's Beqaa Valley. Cabernet Sauvignon became internationally recognized through its prominence in Bordeaux wines where it is often blended with Merlot and Cabernet Franc. From France, the grape spread across Europe and to the New World where it found new homes in places like California's Santa Cruz Mountains, Napa Valley, New Zealand's Hawkes Bay, Australia's Margaret River and Coonawarra regions and Chile's Maipo Valley and Colchagua. The classic profile of Cabernet Sauvignon tends to be full-bodied wines with high tannins and noticeable acidity that contributes to the wine's aging potential. In cooler climates, Cabernet Sauvignon tends to produce wines with blackcurrant notes that can be accompanied by green bell pepper notes, mint and cedar which will all become more pronounced as the wine ages. In more moderate climates the blackcurrant notes are often seen with black cherry and black olives notes while in very hot climates the current flavors can veer towards the over-ripe and "jammy" side.
- Item #: i_251070Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of vineyards from Lake and Napa Counties. We find these diverse, high quality vineyards to compliment one another perfectly. Our high altitude rocky vineyard sites in Lake County deliver angularity, complexity and austerity while our Napa Valley fruit provides deep concentration and focus. This wine is dense and tremendously focused, with a wonderful nose and palate of cedar, blueberry, saddle leather and white pepper. The finish showcases a perfect balance of acid, tannin and sweet toasted oak. Meticulous, detail oriented winemaking and complete attention to detail has produced a wine of tremendous presence and complexity that must be tasted to be believed.
- Item #: i_208140Bottle Size: 750MLThe Cannonball dive is a dive for the people. It doesn't discriminate against body type, race, religion, political affiliation, social status, or fashion sense. And if you've never done a Cannonball, then you'd better just put this newsletter down (or turn off your computer), go find a body of water, and dive in! When you're jumping into the water on a beautiful summer day (or winter, if it's warm enough), with nothing on your mind except leaping high, balling up tight, and making a splash that is going to get as many people wet as possible, that moment you're in the air might be the best feeling you can have with your swimsuit on.
Now you may think that a wine company called Cannonball is not very serious. They actually address that: "True, we try not to take ourselves too seriously, but that's because wine should be enjoyable. Now don't get us wrong. We're serious about quality, honesty, and enjoying life. And, we're dead serious about spreading our love and passion for wine by offering great wines at great prices."
This is seriously delicious wine. The nose is aloft with earth, spice and fruit; strawberry tea, cherries, garden rose, a touch of bramble. The palate loads up more fruit with cherries in the fore, easy tannins, light acidity; this is bold but balanced wine. Mid-palate, we taste cocoa and oak, mixed berries like in a compote, with sweet cherry dominating the lengthy finish.
- Item #: i_226230Bottle Size: 750MLSourced from Napa Valley, Mendocino, Paso Robles, and Lake County, Joel makes the wine with the guiding eye of his wife, Sarah (who has worked at Gloria Ferrer, Joseph Phelps, and Quintessa). The dark garnet colored wine starts off with a big nose of cherry, currant, and vanilla, leading to similar flavors on the palate, with spicy oak joining the mix. This Cab balances ripe, rich fruit with good tannin, and is able to be drank on its own, or paired with a variety of foods. Simply put, it’s quite a value for Cabernet!
- Item #: i_232615Bottle Size: 750mlThe bouquet on this wine is rich with dark fruits, cinnamon, clove and toasty oak flavors. The wine is juicy on the palate with blackcurrant and blackberry flavors prominent, accented by roasted almonds, vanilla and hazelnuts, finishing long with fine, firm tannins.
- Item #: i_276500Bottle Size: 750MLThe Layer Cake team has the same (yet much harder) goal for their Cabernet Sauvignon as their other red wines; find great vineyards that allow them to make rich, delicious wines that cost less than $20, but taste like they cost more! By sourcing fruit from two great vineyards (one in Alexander Valley and the other in Paso Robles), they were able to make a wine that expresses the concentration, complexity, and richness Layer Cake fans have come to expect.
The vineyard in Alexander Valley is a classic example of the appellation. Partially comprised of an ancient volcanic eruption of Mt. St. Helena that laid down multiple layers of ash and rock, cool air pours in from the Pacific each afternoon allowing the fruit to hang late in the season, while maintaining acidity that is bright and fresh. The vineyard in Paso Robles is sprawled over rolling hills, with deep roots combined with long, warm days give the wine rich, dense black fruit aromas and mouth-filling flavors.
This 100% Cabernet Sauvignon was aged entire in French Oak barrels (of which 30% were new) to create a perfectly balanced and complex wine at an everyday price. This wine jumps from the glass with aromas of ripe Bing cherries and blackberries plus cedar and maduro tobacco. Deep layers of spice-infused dark fruit fill the mouth, with a rich, creamy layered texture, and powerful structure. Flavors of chocolate and espresso continue through the long, lingering finish.
- Item #: i_279560Bottle Size: 750mlWilliam Hill's North Coast Cabernet Sauvignon has a rich palate of dark fruit flavors, with subtle hints of caramel and cocoa. The Sonoma and Napa fruit gave this wine its ripe blackberry and black cherry flavors, while the grapes from Lake and Mendocino brought tremendous structure and presence to the blend. This Cabernet, which was blended with a touch of Merlot to round out the mouthfeel, will reveal more complex layers with time in the bottle.