- Item #: i_237150Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "Blueprint Cabernet Sauvignon 2017 is deep ruby with purple edges in color, with exotic aromas of ripe red plum, bittersweet chocolate, black cherry and loganberry. Spicy flavors of ollalieberry, blackberry, and boysenberry add further intrigue and complexity. Its texture is round, lush, creamy, and perfectly balanced."
- Item #: i_237170Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96+ POINTS - "The flagship cuvee, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon J. Daniel Cuvee is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon brought up in 75% new French oak. Rocking levels of cassis, graphite, vanilla, scorched earth, and tobacco all flow to a full-bodied Cabernet that has building tannins, a terrific, deep, layered mid-palate, and a great finish. It's still tight and backward on the palate, and in need of 4-5 years of bottle age, but it's a beautiful wine in the making."
- Item #: i_236710Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsIn the wine world, there are a small number of winemakers that garner just a little extra attention from us buyers. That's because these select few winemakers are known for perennially producing some of the best wines from a given region…Andy Ericson is one of those winemakers! Andy started his winemaking career at Harlan, then Staglin, and has been the winemaker at Screaming Eagle, Staglin, Ovid, Dancing Hares, and others!
With years of winemaking and vineyard-walking under his belt, Andy was often given the "inside scoop" on vineyards that make extraordinary wine, but were "under the radar" by most winemakers. Taking this information, Andy created Leviathan in 2004. The goal was simple: to create one, unique red wine, drawn from some of the best vineyards in Northern California. The resulting bottling, was born of a passion for blending Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Merlot and Cabernet Franc, to create a full-bodied wine with a character all of its own. Since then, he has remained true to the goal of producing a rich, distinctly Californian red blend, year after year.
Receiving high praise and scores isn't new to this wine, as this is the third year in a row this wine has received 94 points. The consistency is there, and the wine is here at Hi-Time for you!
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Based on Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and Syrah brought up in 25% new French oak, the 2017 California Red Wine sports a deep ruby/purple color as well as a rich, powerful, opulent style that certainly puts a smile on your face. Notes of currants, chocolate, spice box, and earthy, herbal notes all emerge from this sexy, seamless effort that has full-bodied richness, ripe tannins, and outstanding finish. It's a smoking value to enjoy over the coming 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_237470Bottle Size: 750MLMason's 2017 Cabernet takes the cake this year - and it's red velvet. Complex, youthful, packed with plums and sweet ripe berries, plus vanilla, milk chocolate, cola and creamy cherry - all you can do is smile. Rich and smooth-cheeked on the palate the wine shows a more mature character too with layers of flavor and polished tannins trailing off to a supple finish.
- Item #: i_237930Bottle Size: 750ml"So good!" - a direct quote from their winemaker Josh Widaman when they finished final barrel selections for the 2017 Napa Cabernet. Dense, layered aromas with sweet cocoa, alluring oak spice and wow-factor frontal fruit, the wine is showy yet seriously structured. Creamy melted berry character gives way to supple muscle with integrated tannins and a long, lavish finish.
- Item #: i_239820Bottle Size: 750mlSourced heavily from the cool, southern Oak Knoll region, and blended with carefully selected pieces from some of Martin Ray's more revered premium Napa Valley vineyard sites, this wine exemplified the varied and complementary styles that define each sub-appellation. The diversity among the vineyards ultimately gives Martin Ray the advantage of being able to blend a wine that displays the intense aromas and flavors that are characteristic to each unique region.
Deep notes of chocolate covered cherry, dense cassis, and cacao nib. Blueberry throughout, with allspice, green peppercorn, and supple integrated tannins
- Item #: i_204700Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "From a single vineyard in Calistoga, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Amoenus isn't far off what the estate produced in 2016. It's a pure, full-bodied, powerful 2017 that does everything right. Loads of blueberries, cassis, Asian spice, and flowery incense define the bouquet, and it has a pure, classic, focused style on the palate. I love its purity of fruit, it has ripe, present tannins, and while it needs 2-3 years of bottle age, it's going to evolve gracefully for 15-20 years."
- Item #: i_240270Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Materium is one of the wines of the vintage and, as I wrote last year, a solid step up over the Amoenus release. Loads of liquid violets, flowery incense, sappy herbs, graphite, and assorted blue fruits all flow to a full-bodied, thrillingly textured, pure, sensationally concentrated Cabernet Sauvignon. Super rich, plush, yet flawlessly balanced, it too is going to benefit from 2-3 years of bottle age and keep for two decades."
- Item #: i_241040Bottle Size: 750mlMcPrice Myers has long been a favorite winemaker and friend of ours, because he produces insanely delicious wines at more than reasonable prices. He has become one of the "gurus of Grenache" and a "sultan of Syrah" in California's Central Coast, but it appears his Cabernet is going to quickly gain him even more praise!
"Bull By the Horns" continues to be Mac's only Bordeaux-centric wine. He blends Petite Sirah into the wine in an attempt to tame the structure of the Cabernet Sauvignon, and the result is juicy, full-bodied, and harmonious wine! The nose is riddled with cassis, violets, ripe black cherry, soy, cured meats, blackberries, and hints of cherry and raspberry. The flavors follow through to the palate, where the velvety tannins keep the ripeness of the fruit in balance. Full-bodied, with just a hint of a savory note, this is a wine that is sure to please any lover of California Cabernet!
- Item #: i_232999Bottle Size: 750mlDripping with terroir; between the volcanic soils, altitude and terraced vineyards, Mount Veeder produces wines that taste unique from the rest of Napa Valley thus earning its AVA status. The small clusters of grapes grown on this mountain site produce powerful wines with depth and structure along with savory, brambly tones. Mount Veeder is nestled on the Mayacamas Mountain range that seperates Napa and Sonoma Valley. While only gaining its AVA status in the early '90s, wine production on this mountain dates back almost 50 years before the prohibition era of the 1920s. Vineyards within this AVA are all steeply terraced, carved into the side of the mountain. The steepness of the angle (up to 30 degrees) gives the vineyards benefits of more direct sunlight and better drainage.
The Mount Veeder Winery has history dating back to the '60s with its debut wine released in 1973. The vineyard was converted from a plum orchard by Michael and Arlene Bernstein after being given a bundle of vine clippings. Michael's attention was focused on planting a vineyard and theirs ended up being the first in Napa to have all 5 Bordeaux varietals planted. Since that first vintage, Mount Veeder Winery has expanded to three vineyard ranches high in the Mayacamas Mountains and continues to produce powerful, bold wines that are a true expression of this unique wine-growing region.
Deep ruby in color, this wine shows wonderfully rich, ripe berries and blackberry cobbler on the nose complemented by hints of earth, cigar box, and dried sage. A supple, well-structured palate and full body with a slight mineral edge, dark cassis fruit and ripe black cherry build complexity with layers of mocha and baking spices. The wine is dry but finishes with a lovely, delicate sweetness.
- Item #: i_205700Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94-97 POINTS - "The 2017 My Favorite Neighbor is in the same ballpark and offers terrific notes of creme de cassis, tobacco leaf, lead pencil shavings, and cedary herbs. It's a full-bodied, silky, impeccably balanced beauty that has just subtle background oak, a stacked mid-palate, and terrific purity of fruit."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS - "A barrel sample blended of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Syrah and 10% Petit Verdot, the 2017 My Favorite Neighbor Proprietary Blend is deep garnet-purple in color and a little cedary to begin, giving way to fragrant blackcurrants, black cherries and black raspberries with touches of spice cake, Sichuan pepper, violets and hoisin. Full-bodied, densely packed and with velvety tannins, it delivers tons of tightly wound flavors, finishing long."
- Item #: i_205730Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsFormer Newport Beach resident Eric Jensen has really made a name for himself up in Paso Robles. His Booker lineup of wines specializes in Rhone varieties (such as Syrah, Grenache, and Petit Manseng) and have become highly sought after for their intensity, complexity, and sheer enjoyment. If you're the type that's interested in scores, Booker is one of the few Paso Robles wineries to have earned 100 points from Robert Parker's Wine Advocate!
Eric's My Favorite Neighbor label started as an homage to his mentor Stephan Asseo of L'Aventure winery; Stephan would always call and say "Hello Eric, this is Stephan, your favorite neighbor". This was Eric's foray into fine-tuning the Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet-based blends he was making. Eric was able to find clay soils in Westside Paso Robles (an area known for its limestone-rich soils), and took advice from Benoit Touquette (who makes Realm Cellars, Fait-Main, and Teeter Totter) and Toni Biagi (who makes Patria and Hourglass)...over deliver, under charge, and do it using the best sites, the best winemaking team and sparing no expense on barrels or equipment. Judging by the last few releases of his My Favorite Neighbor Cabernet, we'll say that he has been doing exactly that!
And now, he has released Harvey and Harriet! This is named after Eric's parents, and is a Cabernet/Syrah blend, not too dissimilar to what his favorite neighbor Stephan does with L'Aventure. Our domestic wine buyer tasted this over a few nights, and feels that this will rival any Napa or Sonoma Cabernet at the $50 price point...and this one sells for less!
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The My Favorite Neighbor releases are made by Eric Jensen and there are two cuvees, the Harvey and Harriet and the flagship My Favorite Neighbor. The Harvey and Harriet release is named after Jensen’s parents and includes small amounts of Syrah, Petit Verdot, Malbec. It’s made to be the more black-fruited, richer, more powerful wine in the lineup."
"Named after winemaker Eric Jensen's parents, the 2017 Harvey and Harriet is a blend of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Syrah, and the rest Petit Verdot and Malbec. It offers a richer, powerful style as well as Napa Cabernet-like notes of black and blue fruits, scorched earth, crushed rocks, and violets. Rich, full-bodied, beautifully concentrated, and voluptuous on the palate, it's more approachable than the flagship Cabernet Sauvignon, but I wouldn't bet against it aging just as long."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Harvey and Harriet is made up of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Syrah, 6% Petite Sirah, 5% Malbec and 4% Petit Verdot aged in 80% new French oak. It gives up wonderful creme de cassis, chocolate mint, kirsch, blackberry and black cherry jam aromas with a classy frame of vanilla and sweet baking spices plus sparks of graphite, cedar, flowers and tobacco leaf. The medium to full-bodied, silky palate features rich, plush, meaty black fruits with firm but finely woven tannins and just enough juicy freshness to lift the long, layered finish. This is great! It deserves more time in bottle, but it's drinking wonderfully straight out of the gate."
- Item #: i_250500Bottle Size: 750mlNapa Bench is rich and flavorful, with red and dark fruits that are apparent in the nose with plum, currant and blackberry tones. The aroma is layered and shows the power of Cabernet and of oak nuance. The pallet is fine grained tannin, long and refined, with a finish that lingers and invites a second glass or two.
- Item #: i_206930Bottle Size: 750mlIntentionally crafted from Malbec and Syrah, the grapes for Nellcote's impeccably dry Rose were meticulously farmed on Bald Mountan Ranch atop Mount Veeder, and only 170 cases were produced.
Here, vivid aromas bring to mind pomegranate, tart cherry, and ripe citrus alongside notes of guava, orange bitters, and the delicate, lingering suggestion of white tea and roses. The wine is bright and focused on the palate, with a vibrant acidity toning and lifting the elegant red fruit flavors. With an ethereal finish that lasts, this is a true wine lover's Rose with a South of France soul and a Napa Valley attitude.
- Item #: i_246850Bottle Size: 750MLThe Skyside winemaking philosophy aims to maximize the fruit expression of their vineyards to deliver food-friedly wines with vibrant character. This blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Carignan, and Syrah displays inviting aromas of blackberry, cherry, and spice that have interplay with well-integrated oak. The palate displays vibrant fruit. Spice with layers of cocoa and cherry. The wine is supported by supple tannins and a long-balanced finish. This wine pairs well with grilled foods like lamb burgers, and trip-tip but it's also great with spicy foods like Moroccan eggplant tagine.
- Item #: i_274600Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Composed of 89% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Merlot and 5% Malbec, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley comes from vineyards on Mount Veeder (56%), Howell Mountain (29%) and Oakville (15%). It was aged in French oak for 22 months, 70% new. Very deep purple-black colored, the nose is just a tad broody and closed to begin, opening out to reveal notes of warm cassis, redcurrant jelly, kirsch and raspberry leaves with hints of wild mushrooms, tilled soil and bay leaves. Medium to full-bodied, the palate delivers a good amount of juicy black fruits with plenty of invigorating red berry and herbal sparks and a chewy texture, finishing on an earthy note. 3,484 cases were made."
- Item #: i_248140Bottle Size: 750mlObsidian Ridge Vineyard is planted at 2,640' atop the Mayacamas range north of the Napa Valley. This is one of the newest American Viticultural Areas, named Red Hills Lake County for the distinctive volcanic soils that define this remarkable mountain appellation. The vineyard's red soils are shot through with obsidian rock — this steep, sloping terroir of obsidian gravel is all that a winemaker could hope for. The unrestricted drainage and meager soil fertility produce wines with great tannic structure.
Tasting Notes - Dark aromas of ripe blackberries and black currants mulled with spicy cloves and anise rise from the glass, complemented by hints of cacao beans and dark chocolate nibs. On the palate, the wine is dense and full-bodied, with a core of black fruit compote and hints of licorice. This is a textured wine with medium tannins, finishing with a dusting of light oak tannin. While still youthful, this is quite the impressive rendition of our Estate offering.
- Item #: i_247600Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST - Vanilla bean, blackberry and bramble berry aromas are teased by star anise on the nose. The smooth palate is juicy with acidity and flavors of cranberry, raspberry and plum. Crushed velvet tannins add depth along with flavors of kitchen herbs, a sprinkle of pepper and a drop of vanilla. Baking spice appears on the finish ending on a savory note with red plum.
- Item #: i_248680Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Olema is a blend of 90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Merlot, 3% Petite Verdot, 2% Malbec and 1% Cabernet Franc aged 14 months in 50% new French oak. Deep garnet-purple in color, it gives up open-knit, expressive blackberry pie, plum preserves and cassis scents with wafts of unsmoked cigars and garrigue with a waft of charcuterie. Medium-bodied, the palate is packed with juicy black fruits, supported by soft tannins, finishing earthy. Impressive feat this vintage! 22,000 cases produced."
- Item #: i_248450Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc aged for 10 months in 35% new French oak, Palermo is a portrayal of the patchwork of vineyards across the Napa Valley region. With fruit sourced fro the warmer Calistoga and St. helena AVAs down to the cooler AVAs of Coombsville and Oak Knoll, across to the unique microclimates of Pope Valley and Atlas peak, and finally to the famous soils of Rutherford and Oakville, this truly is the Napa Valley in a bottle.
A dark garnet hue sits in the glass with immediate aromas of ripe cassis and blackberry. Hints of cocoa, new oak and fir complement the juicy fruit melange. A full-bodied entry is succeeded by a mid-palate of dark fruits and a smooth, integrated minerality. The tannins are well developed, allowing the wine to finish with length.
- Item #: i_248550Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, Malbec, and Merlot, powerful aromatics escape the glass with rich notes of ripe blackcurrant, blackberry, peppercorn and a touch of chaparral supported by a frame of sweet oak. Intensely layered and decadent on entry, the wine exudes characteristics of black plum, boysenberry, kirsch and dark chocolate with a silky soft yet weighty texture. A prolonged finish of Provencal lavender, fig leaf and ripe currants close out the wine.
- Item #: i_275510Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Coming all from the estate on Howell Mountain and brought up in 80% new oak, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate sports a deep purple hue as well as impressive notes of black fruits, crushed rocks, licorice, and ground herbs. It has some classic Howell Mountain forest notes, is full-bodied, has a polished, elegant texture, and ripe tannins, all making for a terrific Mountain Cabernet to drink over the coming 15+ years or more. This is a smoking good Cabernet at the under $100 price point."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "Outpost's 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon (Howell Mountain) is such a gorgeous wine. Readers will find plenty of power, but the 2017 is also remarkably well balanced for a young Howell Mountain Cabernet. Black cherry, graphite, plum, leather and spice all build into the racy, persistent finish."